• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Trunchisholm said:
Halo 4 will be massive. Installed based is much bigger, and people are starving for a new Master Chief Halo. Still, for better or worse, no game can touch CoD.

I've bought all real Halos (ODST wasn't a real Halo) but I'm passing on Halo4. To me and I'm guessing a lot of people... no Bungie means no Halo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
OldJadedGamer said:
I've bought all real Halos (ODST wasn't a real Halo) but I'm passing on Halo4. To me and I'm guessing a lot of people... no Bungie means no Halo.

Just like no Infinity Ward meant no COD.
Oh, wait.

Mpl90 said:
Just like no Infinity Ward meant no COD.
Oh, wait.

Yup, last COD game I bought was MW2 and it will remain the last as well since IW broke up. It's like someone saying they are seeing Guns N Roses live... but it's really just Axel Rose and a bunch of random dudes. Sure, some people will be all shit excited to see them and will be proud to turn over their money... but it's a shadow of the former band.

To compare COD games with GNR you'd get this:

COD4 = Appetite for Destruction
MW2 = Use Your Illusion
MW3 = Chinese Democracy

Based on new information, some thoughts on the top 10 console individual sku chart.
1. Gears
2. Madden 360
3. Madden PS3
4. Dead Island 360
5. Dead Island PS3
6. FIFA 360

I think it's safe to say that is the top 6. The next 4 have some combination of NHL360, R3 and DX 360 plus a 4th game that is not on the 360. The next 4 are my educated guess.

NHL360
R3
FIFA PS3
DX360

I think NHL360 probably did more than the 180K that R3 did. I don't think the FIFA PS3 did so I slotted R3 ahead of that and then figured DX360 would bring up the rear. One thing to keep in mind is MS usually mentions the console chart and so handheld software wouldn't be included in this.

The only game I think we don't know for sure is FIFA PS3, the other 9 are in it with the order of the top 6 being somewhat assured.

TheNatural

My Member!
Nintendo updated their site with the top 10 for each system:

Wii:

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Super Paper Mario
3) Just Dance 2
4) Madden NFL 12
5) Zumba Fitness
6) Mario Super Sluggers
7) LEGO Star Wars III: The Saga Continues to Build
8) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
9) New Super Mario Bros. Wii
10) Mario Kart Wii

3DS:

1) Star Fox 64 3D
2) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
3) LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
4) Asphalt 3D
5) Pilotwings Resort
6) SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D EDITION
7) Super Monkey Ball 3D
8) Combat of Giants Dinosaurs 3D
9) nintendogs + cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
10) Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

DS:

1) New Super Mario Bros.
2) Kirby Mass Attack
3) Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension
4) Mario Kart DS
5) Pokémon White Version
6) Pokémon Black Version
7) The Smurfs
8) Plants vs Zombies
9) LEGO Star Wars III: The Battle For Bricks Just Got Bigger!
10) Cars 2: The Video Game

Kusagari

Trunchisholm said:
Halo 4 will be massive. Installed based is much bigger, and people are starving for a new Master Chief Halo. Still, for better or worse, no game can touch CoD.

For some reason I doubt it. Reach left a bad taste in a lot of Halo fan's mouths.

Penguin

TheNatural said:

Wii:

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Super Paper Mario
3) Just Dance 2
4) Madden NFL 12
5) Zumba Fitness
6) Mario Super Sluggers
10) Mario Kart Wii

3DS:

1) Star Fox 64 3D
4) Asphalt 3D
5) Pilotwings Resort
7) Super Monkey Ball 3D

DS:

1) New Super Mario Bros.
2) Kirby Mass Attack
4) Mario Kart DS
5) Pokémon White Version
6) Pokémon Black Version
7) The Smurfs
8) Plants vs Zombies
I know they announced LEGO City Story. But now curious to see how a Lego Nintendo game would do

GavinGT

Banned
Trunchisholm said:

Larger install base doesn't necessarily mean more sales. Look at the Gears franchise.

Curufinwe

GavinGT said:
Larger install base doesn't necessarily mean more sales. Look at the Gears franchise.

True, but I think being a proper numbered sequel and the avalanche of marketing will ensure it's a massive success.

Ridley327

TheNatural said:

Wii:

1) Super Mario Galaxy
2) Super Paper Mario
3) Just Dance 2
4) Madden NFL 12
5) Zumba Fitness
6) Mario Super Sluggers
10) Mario Kart Wii

3DS:

1) Star Fox 64 3D
4) Asphalt 3D
5) Pilotwings Resort
7) Super Monkey Ball 3D

DS:

1) New Super Mario Bros.
2) Kirby Mass Attack
4) Mario Kart DS
5) Pokémon White Version
6) Pokémon Black Version
7) The Smurfs
8) Plants vs Zombies
Jesus, NSMB DS is unstoppable.

I wonder how different the Wii situation would be now if they had implemented Nintendo Selects years ago.

WrikaWrek

Banned
GavinGT said:

Exactly.

Halo 4 would have to take it to the next level in order to expand, but still I think it's hard. Maybe match Black Ops on 360, isn't that now the biggest selling game?

Kusagari said:
Reach dropped down the Xbox Live list quickly, and nobody on my friends list, even the guys who played Halo 3 every single day of their lives, plays it anymore.

Same, after we all beat it co-op in Legendary it pretty much disappeared from my friends list online. Where as Halo 2 and 3 were there forever.

Kusagari said:
Reach dropped down the Xbox Live list quickly, and nobody on my friends list, even the guys who played Halo 3 every single day of their lives, plays it anymore.

It's still high on major nelsons list of most played games on Live, so uhhh...and I noticed the community section is now up to Reach OT "6"

Kusagari

specialguy said:
It's still high on major nelsons list of most played games on Live, so uhhh...and I noticed the community section is now up to Reach OT "6"

It's below not only Blops but MW2 as well. If Reach had any true staying power,on level with Halo 3, I've gotta think it could beat MW2.

And going off GAF OT's means Dark Souls will be the #1 game in next months NPD.

Kusagari said:

No it didn't. It was consistently in the top 3 until gears came out and it moved to 4th.

Kusagari said:

If only!

I haven ever been a Halo fan, Halo 3 was my first, but I thought Reach was excellent, so it's a little surprising to hear that it may have left a bad taste with Halo fans.

FreeMufasa

So has the total console sales of this gen surpassed the total of last yet? I remember working it out to sometime in 2011 a few years back.

TheOddOne

Phonomezer said:
If only!

I haven ever been a Halo fan, Halo 3 was my first, but I thought Reach was excellent, so it's a little surprising to hear that it may have left a bad taste with Halo fans.
Its not as bad as people make it out. The campaign has it highlights, but the multiplayer had its issues. 343i rolled out a new test playlist to tweak the problems people had with the current other playlist

Phonomezer said:
If only!

Reach wasn't horrible, there are just way better games to spend my time on now. With Halo 2 and 3 there just wasn't much else out to compete for my time. I bought Reach brand new on Amazon for $40 then sold it 3 weeks after launch for $40 so I took it.

Vice

Kusagari said:
It's below not only Blops but MW2 as well. If Reach had any true staying power,on level with Halo 3, I've gotta think it could beat MW2.

Reach being below two COD games speaks to the power of COD rather than the decline of Halo. They're the number 1(BOps) and 2(MW2) best selling games this gen right?

Kusagari said:

Yeah and Killzone 2 would have been the best selling game of all time lol. I still remember the GAF frenzy over that game...

But just as GAF is a select minority, so is "nobody on my friends list is playing it". As pointed out Reach has had good staying power on Nelson's activity list.

Certainly, Halo has become second fiddle to COD, whereas it was once the king. However, I doubt it's possible for a console exclusive to be king anymore.

TheOddOne

specialguy said:
Certainly, Halo has become second fiddle to COD, whereas it was once the king. However, I doubt it's possible for a console exclusive to be king anymore.
Yeah, I doubt any exclusive game is gonna top the beast that is COD for a little while.

Penguin

TheOddOne said:
Yeah, I doubt any exclusive game is gonna top the beast that is COD for a little while.

But aren't the Wii-line of games bigger games than CoD, and those are certainly exclusives.

Saty

So, how much is Square-Enix's cut for being the distributor of Dead Island in the U.S.? I find it funny that the game's first month could relatively be more porfitable to them than their own 2-months-in published Deus Ex.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Fuckin Space Marine. Deserves a lot more sales. Hopefully Europe and word of mouth after coop freeDLC will give it legs.

Kusagari

specialguy said:
Yeah and Killzone 2 would have been the best selling game of all time lol. I still remember the GAF frenzy over that game...

But just as GAF is a select minority, so is "nobody on my friends list is playing it". As pointed out Reach has had good staying power on Nelson's activity list.

Obviously, nobody is expecting Reach to top Blops. I just think that if Reach was as popular as 3, it would have stayed above the second fiddle CoD in MW2. Reach actually was above it for a couple weeks and then dropped below it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
legend166 said:
So looking at that Wii list - is it safe to say the selects line has been a success?

Hopefully Nintendo will learn from that.
donny2112 vindicated? I believe that was one of his ongoing points about Nintendo's Wii software sales.

OldJadedGamer said:

No Bungie means good riddance to bad rubbish. Hacks, those guys.

As long as the next group of flunkies are a bit more imaginative with the plot, Halo will be fine.

donny2112

jvm said:
donny2112 vindicated? I believe that was one of his ongoing points about Nintendo's Wii software sales.

I wasn't the only one, but, yeah, giving the late-generation budget buyers actual top of the line software to buy for a low price is always good. September having 4 out 10 being Nintendo Selects titles is really nice to see. Super Paper Mario probably hasn't been that high on the Wii list since around when it came out in 2007.

The absolute numbers per title probably aren't very high (e.g. probably < 100K), but last generation, million-sellers were built on consistent 30-40K monthly sales for budget software. Hopefully the Wii U version of Nintendo Selects won't take as long to come out...

jvm said:

Cool. Thanks!

olimpia84

Looks like Nintendo selects it's really working out. Can't complain though, I got 3 Wii Select titles this weekend with the B2G1 Toys R Us sale so here's hoping they keep releasing more budget titles.

Apath

OldJadedGamer said:
I am in the same position, though I've bought ODST even. I am currently planning on not buying Halo 4 unless media and news sways me otherwise. This has been the opposite case for every Halo release prior.

donny2112 said:
I wasn't the only one, but, yeah, giving the late-generation budget buyers actual top of the line software to buy for a low price is always good.

Yep, I'm glad to see that Nintendo's temporary insanity about unchanging price points has been so thoroughly demolished.

Nutter

I think the biggest thing to take away here is that the average price for the 360 is now HIGHER than the PS3.

That is amazing..

Nutter said:
I think the biggest thing to take away here is that the average price for the 360 is now HIGHER than the PS3.

If anything goes to show how successful Kinect has been for Microsoft, this would be it.

OldJadedGamer said:
Eh. The people who were at Bungie who still wanted to work on Halo moved over to 343. Frankie being the most prominent guy but theres others that I've seen in 343 media who have talked about working on Halo 1 & 2.

Top Bottom