• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

JB1981

CadetMahoney said:
heh. Can't disagree though, Gears 3 is great.

I think Uncharted 3 will be in the 7 spot. I don't think it will unchart in the top 10 like some ppl suggest.
About 1.5 million people played the beta months ago. The game is going to sell well.

JB1981 said:
About 1.5 million people played the beta months ago. The game is going to sell well.

For free. What other first party game had an open beta and what were the beta numbers? Also, was that 1.5 number US only downloads?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Adam Blade said:
People are thinking Gears won't chart next month?

Gears of War 2 dropped to 745k in it's 2nd month which was good for 6th in December 08 NPD.

In a much, much more crowded gaming month, especially in games that appeal to the same demographic that Gears appeals to, I think it's going to be lower than that number, and then there's a pretty decent chance it doesn't chart.

edit: nm, thought you mean't for November and not October, derp. It'll obviously chart for October.

Ridley327

[Nintex] said:
And they're right it's not doing that well just take these calculations,

It started sinking in the UK after debuting with about 35k
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30878007&postcount=5

and moving to 20k.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31095997&postcount=39

Looking at that place it seems that games ranked ~10 usually sell about 7/8k. It's nothing to write home about.
One thing that I can give credit to Sony for is that they had the foresight to bet heavily on FPSs and TPSs becoming the big genres for this gen, but I think they went about it the wrong way with having so many franchises overlap. SOCOM might still be salvageable in the face of Uncharted, but what does Resistance provide that the more popular Killzone already doesn't do? This was one of the hard lessons that MS learned with the original Xbox and the beginning of the 360, and as much as a lot of people bitch about them not having other go-to IPs, it's a wiser decision in the long run.

Why are you guys surprised at R3 sales? I love the series ( except for 2. yuck) but those sales at this point are expected. 500 trillion dollar marketing campaigns wouldn't have helped it.

Now if uncharted 3 bombs then we can break all hell loose.

Edit- And whats this low installed base talk? PS3 is at 18 mill and will be at 20 by end of the year. More than big enough to support million sellers. GOW3 sold over 1 million back in march 2010.

So the gamers are there. :)

R3 should have gone multi-platform

Wouldn't matter. :)

charsace

darkside31337 said:
Gears of War 2 dropped to 745k in it's 2nd month which was good for 6th in December 08 NPD.

In a much, much more crowded gaming month, especially in games that appeal to the same demographic that Gears appeals to, I think it's going to be lower than that number, and then there's a pretty decent chance it doesn't chart.

edit: nm, thought you mean't for November and not October, derp. It'll obviously chart for October.
The word of mouth will help Gears 3. There is a lot of praise for how much they've improved multi and how in depth Horde is.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Why are you guys surprised at R3 sales? I love the series ( except for 2. yuck) but those sales at this point are expected. 500 trillion dollar marketing campaigns wouldn't have helped it.

The reason 180k is surprising is because:

1.) PS3 has been out for 5 years now so the user base is obviously tens of millions higher than it was for Resistance 1 and 2, yet Resistance 3 sells much worse. Most of these blockbuster sequels seem to sell more... Gears 3 > 2 > 1 sales. Uncharted 2 > 1 sales.

2.) From most accounts it sounds like a pretty damn good game.

3.) Had a solid marketing push and a cool, identifiable box cover that stands out.

Gravijah

Heavy said:

1.) PS3 has been out for 5 years now so the user base is obviously tens of millions higher than it was for Resistance 1 and 2, yet Resistance 3 sells much worse. Most of these blockbuster sequels seem to sell more... Gears 3 > 2 > 1 sales. Uncharted 2 > 1 sales.

people who own a ps3 also have a larger amount of games to choose from, fwiw. plus you can't really compare resistance to uc or gears... it's... not really blockbuster big like either of them.

M.D

Kung Fu Grip said:

The second game didn't set the charts on fire but it did pretty decent (It's outsold R3 first month in it's second month)

[Nintex]

Ridley327 said:
One thing that I can give credit to Sony for is that they had the foresight to bet heavily on FPSs and TPSs becoming the big genres for this gen, but I think they went about it the wrong way with having so many franchises overlap. SOCOM might still be salvageable in the face of Uncharted, but what does Resistance provide that the more popular Killzone already doesn't do? This was one of the hard lessons that MS learned with the original Xbox and the beginning of the 360, and as much as a lot of people bitch about them not having other go-to IPs, it's a wiser decision in the long run.
Sony had no foresight at all, they looked at what Microsoft was doing and wanted a piece of the pie. Microsoft did the same thing, so Sony started to advance on Halo with Resistance and Killzone while MS moved against Gran Turismo with Forza and went around third parties to make former PlayStation exclusives become multiplatform titles. Third parties liked this idea and expanded on it on their own(something MS and Sony didn't like). Then they both looked at what Nintendo was doing and wanted some of that as well. But unlike Microsoft they didn't completely overhaul their strategy and marketing so it only does everything and sometimes it does everything great and once in a while it does everything half assed. This generation was more or less a pissing competition between Microsoft and Sony. At some point Sony made it clear that they wanted profits instead of marketshare and Microsoft never looked back.

Nintendo was moving along great untill someone fell asleep at the steering wheel and tossed the steering wheel in the ocean and they're still swimming around trying to find it.

Heavy said:

Gears 1 was the best selling in the series when looking at userbase numbers at the time. It sold to 33% of all US owners just in its first month.

Heavy said:

3.) Had a solid marketing push and a cool, identifiable box cover that stands out.
But the resistance series is an exception. Who really likes or cares about this game besides die hard PS3 owners?

Resistance is not a blockbuster game.

Ridley327

Heavy said:

1.) I touched on this in my last post, but Resistance is in a climate now where other games serve the needs of gamers better, including Sony's other exclusive FPS franchise.

2.) We should all know by now that being a good game simply isn't good enough when it comes to sales potential, especially in crowded genres like the FPS.

3.) A good marketing push would carve out its target as a real standout. Resistance's marketing did nothing like that.

Ridley327 said:
One thing that I can give credit to Sony for is that they had the foresight to bet heavily on FPSs and TPSs becoming the big genres for this gen.

I don't think it was foresight, more a reaction to what Microsoft had been having success with.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ridley327 said:
1.) I touched on this in my last post, but Resistance is in a climate now where other games serve the needs of gamers better, including Sony's other exclusive FPS franchise.

Killzone 3 declined versus Killzone 2 as best as I can tell, so it's fair to say that Call of Duty serves everything better than any exclusive :p

M.D

Kung Fu Grip said:
But the resistance series is an exception. Who really likes or cares about this game besides die hard PS3 owners?

Resistance is not a blockbuster game.

You can't say that about Uncharted, Yet it still don't sell to it's full potential.

Ridley327

Stumpokapow said:
Killzone 3 declined versus Killzone 2 as best as I can tell, so it's fair to say that Call of Duty serves everything better than any exclusive :p
It doesn't have a sci-fi elements to level the entire playing field!

Yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
KingDizzi said:
Big franchises: Halo, GT and FIFA, BF to a larger extent
Fifa is closer to COD then it is to Halo or BF.
It was already a 10M unit yearly franchise BEFORE it exploded with Fifa09-12 - not to mention 12 is showing YoY growth competing against a WorldCup year.

Heavy said:

RedS->RedS2?

Rolf NB

OldJadedGamer said:
If Japan is such a huge market for them then why has GT5 still not outsold prolouge over there. And it is perfectly fair to judge Sony game sales in the US in an NPD thread just like you judge MS games for Japan in mediacrate threads.

You can't point to EU sales as an explanation to why games aren't moving in the US.
You might want to start blaming the people who keep concern-trolling Sony by calling studio viability into question. Studio health is a WW issue, yes, even in an NPD thread. You should fully expect WW-framed responses.

kswiston

M.D said:
You can't say that about Uncharted, Yet it still don't sell to it's full potential.

Seems to me that full potential for a third person action/shooter title is 6-7M copies worldwide. I am having a hard time finding a game in the genre that has ever shipped more than that. Gears 3 will probably hit that mark, and the last two titles were in the 5-6M range. Metal Gear Solid topped out at 7M. If Uncharted 2 is at ~5M shipped (including bundles), I doubt there is that much more room for growth in the series. We might see bigger first month debuts, but I doubt the LTD numbers will grow that much in the future.

[Nintex]

Rolf NB said:
You might want to start blaming the people who keep concern-trolling Sony by calling studio viability into question. Studio health is a WW issue, yes, even in an NPD thread. You should fully expect WW-framed responses.
It depends on the studio and game entirely. Insomniac is making games aimed at the US market, no doubt about that. The same can't be said about Polyphony who's making games for a worldwide market. So if Resistance 3 bombs in Japan, it's like: "Ok, it'll do well in the US anyway" but when it starts to tank in the market it's made for... that's when you're in trouble. Kinda like when Europeans stopped buying Need for Speed games for a while, a real headache that one was that almost killed the series.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Kazerei said:
November is going to be a ridiculous month. There's over a dozen major releases I can think of, but they can't all be in the top 10. UC3 might not make it because it is a single platform title.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Disney Universe
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Just Dance 3
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7
Madden NFL 12
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
NBA 2K12
Super Mario 3D Land
Uncharted 3
So with Ass Creed, CoD, BF3, Zelda and Mario charting for sure. Where does that leave UC3?

JB1981 said:
That figure was a record for PSN.

That wasn't an answer to the question. So it was US only numbers? And again, serious question, what other first party games had open betas?

Rolf NB said:

Again, saying that a game sells well in one region doesn't answer the question of why it is selling poorly in another. Using sales from another region is just trying to distract from the original question.

Ridley327

Des0lar said:
So with Ass Creed, CoD, BF3, Zelda and Mario charting for sure. Where does that leave UC3?
Because of the userbase situation at this point in time, I don't think we'll see Mario chart in the top 10. Given the insane sales guaranteed for those other games, seeing it do 400k-500k and still miss the chart is not a terrible thing. If anything, Skyrim is guaranteed to be in the top 10.

sleepykyo

OldJadedGamer said:
That wasn't an answer to the question. So it was US only numbers? And again, serious question, what other first party games had open betas?

Again, saying that a game sells well in one region doesn't answer the question of why it is selling poorly in another. Using sales from another region is just trying to distract from the original question.

Both Socoms, both Killzones, U2 and U3.

JB1981

OldJadedGamer said:

I don't fucking know, man, I don't keep spreadsheets of sales data. I play games.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JB1981 said:
I don't fucking know, man, I don't keep spreadsheets of sales data. I play games.

I don't get a reply like this. You're on a video game forum. You're in a sales thread. You're talking about sales. You're not impressing anyone why distancing yourself from the nerdiness :p

Rolf NB

OldJadedGamer said:
I don't know either. It's definitely a step up from Resistance 2, regained most of its unique identity it had given up previously, has a fun, polished campaign and cool multiplayer with all those perk things kids seem to love these days. Also seems to have good word of mouth.

One answer I got in the OT was that the beta was sub-par and turned people away. A bit of a shame really. They've supported it well. Just released another rebalancing patch this week, that adressed most outstanding complaints.

Frankly, there's only so many shooters the mass market can give a shit about. I don't think even a large advertising push would have done much. The market is massively saturated with big-budget shooters. And something as generic as Resistance is not going to stand out like, say, Bioshock.

That's not to say that Gears is any less generic or dull, it just happened to get its foot in the door, and had a reasonable differentiating factor when it started out.

Halo is the only exclusive FPS that anyone gives a crap about. It sells an amazing amount of copies for only being on one platform. Nothing comes close from that perspective. CoD owes its most loyal sales to the 360 platform as well. 360 = FPS console. If Resistance was on it then it might have pulled some decent numbers.

Most amazing stat to me with these sales numbers is the 360 didn't even have to drop its price to keep the sales advantage over the PS3. What's going to happen when it does price drop to the sweet spot with the HDD. Amazing what Microsoft has managed to pull off this gen.

Halo actually deserves the sales, too. It's still several notches above the bland mediocrity of Resistance and Gears and a thousand other games of that style. It also doesn't play quite like any of them, so its fans remain where they are.

LQX

HocusPocus said:
Halo is the only exclusive FPS that anyone gives a crap about. It sells an amazing amount of copies for only being on one platform. Nothing comes close from that perspective. CoD owes its most loyal sales to the 360 platform as well. 360 = FPS console. If Resistance was on it then it might have pulled some decent numbers.
COD is also on PS3. And outside of Halo the 360 has no other first person shooter exclusives where as PS3 has Killzone and Resistance so if anything its more of FPS console. I like Resistance but lets just admit it is mediocre and would have had the same results on 360.

Top Bottom