• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
Actually, I'm kinda worried if a lot of Reset posters come back.

This place has been good now in that it has a proportional balance of left,centre, & right-wing users and no biased mods.
But if it starts getting brigaded by the hard-left users, then it's going to turn into the exact same shitshow of last year.

If the Reset users aren't going to contribute anything outside of the "fuck drumpf/racist/sexist/lol alt-right" posts then it needs to be brought to attention now before it's too late.

The mod team chosen wouldn't let either political side take control over this forum. When we introduced ourselves, we all came from various backgrounds and walks so things are balanced for the future of the community. There's a way to debate and discuss opposing views without the negativity and dog-piling. We'd make sure everyone can be righteous and good to each other.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
The mod team chosen wouldn't let either political side take control over this forum. When we introduced ourselves, we all come from various backgrounds and walks so things are balanced for the future of the community. There's a way to debate and discuss opposing views without the negativity and dog-piling. We'd make sure everyone can be righteous and good to each other.
That's good to hear.

And for any Reset user reading this, I should mention I'm not anti-Resetera/Liberalism. I think it's only fair that both boards have healthy critique for each other but still maintain some level of respect for each other.
It's unlikely they would tolerate a user on their site who would only post "lol Reset are all commies!" so why should GAF have to experience people who come here to say "lol this site are all racists/alt-right"?

Last edited:

Future

That's good to hear.

And for any Reset user reading this, I should mention I'm not anti-Resetera/Liberalism. I think it's only fair that both boards have healthy critique for each other but still maintain some level of respect for each other.
It's unlikely they would tolerate a user on their site who would only post "lol Reset are all commies!" so why should GAF have to experience people who come here to say "lol this site are all racists/alt-right"?

I’d say both forums have trouble with the bolded though. There are a lot of opposing sides discussion happening more, but not sure if there is an actual increase of respect

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
The mod team chosen wouldn't let either political side take control over this forum. When we introduced ourselves, we all came from various backgrounds and walks so things are balanced for the future of the community. There's a way to debate and discuss opposing views without the negativity and dog-piling. We'd make sure everyone can be righteous and good to each other.

Thank you, Kururu. This is good to hear.

KevinKeene

Banned
Sheesh, it's hard to stay quiet when you read stuff like that: https://www.resetera.com/posts/8778932/

I'm against any and all nudity in games because, sex shouldn't sell. It's dehumanizing people

1.) But violence is a-ok, huh?
2.) This level of public prudishness, wow
3.) When did gamers begin calling for censorship, even though it was gamers who fought censorship in the past? Now they WANT their games censored? :/

And that thread is full of Klepek-sympathizers. Bizarre read.

NickFire

Sheesh, it's hard to stay quiet when you read stuff like that: https://www.resetera.com/posts/8778932/

3.) When did gamers begin calling for censorship, even though it was gamers who fought censorship in the past? Now they WANT their games censored? :/

LOL. Seems to me that they are arguing that people are dehumanized by their innate drive to reproduce and continue the species. In other words, I read this as people are dehumanized by acting human.

bitbydeath

Hopefully they don't reproduce then, obviously that would be dehumanising.

NickFire

They are now arguing over the merits of "deplatforming" in the steam thread. Could swear that the same crowd denied that anyone was ever trying to take games away in years gone by. Maybe I'm just crazy.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

That's the same person that posted this:

I'm having a mental breakdown. I cant enjoy anything because of Trump. Everything reminds me of him and the evil he is. The man is pure evil and he's destroying America or rather revealing what America truly is. I'm afraid to go outside these days. I ran into a Trump Supporter and nearly went ballistic. Everytime I see + news all I think about is how Trump probably paid that to be put there.

And this:

Fucklem I automatically think anyone who isn't on the same side as me as racist. My opinions are the only correct one, my side is the only correct one. I'm fighting against white supremacy and evil. Theres no nuance, no understanding. Moderates are an ally of evil.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
So is GAF relevant anymore (excuse my rudeness I'm new here, but been lurking for years) or all the big fish escaped to ResetEra (leakers etc)? Just asking because ResetEra seems to be more active, despite being a cespool of insane SJW mob.

So is GAF relevant anymore (excuse my rudeness I'm new here, but been lurking for years) or all the big fish escaped to ResetEra (leakers etc)? Just asking because ResetEra seems to be more active, despite being a cespool of insane SJW mob.
Relevant?

Neither site is relevant to anyone outside of the people who are members of the site. If you are a member to a site, it's relevant to you and the people of the site. Outside of that, it's not relevant to anyone. Guitar reddit is relevant to me, not to anyone who isn't on it.

If you are talking about community size then you'd assume 4chan is "more" relevant in comparison to either site. 4chan isn't relevant tho.

I guess it just depends on what you think relevant is idk.

Skyn3t

Banned
Good point, let me clarify. Saying relevant I meant a reliable and fast source of gaming news, leaks and industry insiders insights.

Good point, let me clarify. Saying relevant I meant a reliable and fast source of gaming news, leaks and industry insiders insights.
Reddit would be the site for that. Most big game subreddits are “relevant” in comparison. If you want news for Siege (for example) you would go to Siege reddit. They have actual insiders on there.

Reddit is the answer for insiders.

How fast we put up gaming news depends on our members. So once you can make threads, you can post and have it up quick if you do choose to.

NickFire

Bear in mind the reason that most insiders left in the first place was two fold. One, some were worried about getting caught leaking and fired. Two, many were afraid of being attacked for saying something politically incorrect or banned for doing so. How many do you think are really going to decide a new site that doubles down on the same crap is a welcoming environment?

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Bear in mind the reason that most insiders left in the first place was two fold. One, some were worried about getting caught leaking and fired. Two, many were afraid of being attacked for saying something politically incorrect or banned for doing so. How many do you think are really going to decide a new site that doubles down on the same crap is a welcoming environment?

Very few, unless they are *for* that kind of mindset. Just looking at the "insider info" that has been posted on the site, it is a farcry from the NeoGaf days. I do see an increased number of "indie" developers with very questionable morals/claims (such as comparing Colin Moriarty to being on the same level of awful as Winestein), but overall there are many who did not make the jump and for good reasons.

I mean, just look at how they reacted with The Last Night, A Hat in Time, Yooka-Laylee, and Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Why would a developer want to come to a site where they can be attacked, insulted, and be called a racist/sexist/transphobe/etc because they said such a minor thing that the cabal of children didn't like?

Skyn3t

Banned
Thank you for the insight guys. Knowing all that I have to ask, are there any high profile leakers/developers left on GAF, which users are really worth following when it comes to the freshest info, gossip in video game world? I would love GAF to be my main source of information as I'm sick tired of mainstream gaming media.

Thank you for the insight guys. Knowing all that I have to ask, are there any high profile leakers/developers left on GAF, which users are really worth following when it comes to the freshest info, gossip in video game world? I would love GAF to be my main source of information as I'm sick tired of mainstream gaming media.
IMO, you are years late on that. Gaf hasn’t had that in years. Talking about actual leakers posting on these boards first. Reddit is the site if you want to read the op of a leaker.

But Gaf like a lot boards will soon post the news.

Reddit is popular imo because they can quickly make a account, post, and not have to deal if they get something wrong. Unfortunately you can’t tell if someone is legit. For example, GoT leakers are sometimes just fan fiction.

Skyn3t

Banned
Unfortunately Reddit is to much hassle to me - you have to dig through a ton of bullshit to see actual news/more or less possible leaks. You know, tons of memes, videos etc. Been there, seen that :)

Unfortunately Reddit is to much hassle to me - you have to dig through a ton of bullshit to see actual news/more or less possible leaks. You know, tons of memes, videos etc. Been there, seen that :)
Yep. The best GoT leaks come from Freefolk. But it’s a journey to find them.

Skyn3t

Banned
Damn, I meant replies. Sorry, English is not my native language, so I tend to make a mistake here and there 😉

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Yeah I know, just didn't realize that the majority moved to era. Mass delusion? Dunno, but after reading some Off Topic stuff there I gotta say the folk out there is downright insane.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Era is a giant circle jerk...jerk circle that puts old gaf to shame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
ERA is a community that split off from GAF last year. They have more people there so the threads have more replies.

But rarely do those replies have genuine discussion or valued input. They tend to be the same few lines repeated for 10-15 pages, with the often banned responder who disagrees with the popular opinion. Personally, I prefer a slower, but more richly diverse discussion than a crowded thread with little discussion or diverse thoughts.

TrainedRage

Banned
Yeah , I discovered quickly more posts does NOT equal better posts. I like how here your questions get answered pretty quickly and usually thoughtfully. Rather than being lost in a sea of posts that are all essentially saying the same thing.

Tldr: I like this smaller community.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
But rarely do those replies have genuine discussion or valued input. They tend to be the same few lines repeated for 10-15 pages, with the often banned responder who disagrees with the popular opinion. Personally, I prefer a slower, but more richly diverse discussion than a crowded thread with little discussion or diverse thoughts.

Agreed. Just explaining the posting volume :)

It's Jeff

Banned
Yeah , I discovered quickly more posts does NOT equal better posts. I like how here your questions get answered pretty quickly and usually thoughtfully. Rather than being lost in a sea of posts that are all essentially saying the same thing.

Tldr: I like this smaller community.

Quantity is going up too. In the past two months or so, the volume of posts has been increasing at a steady clip. Place is looking more lively and diverse! It's nice! Topics rarely even reached two pages a few months ago.

Nudull

Banned
Watching GAF devolve into a wannabe subreddit (complete with an "offensive humor" thread for extra points!) has been fascinating, in a trainwreck sort-of way. Pretty easy to say how "peaceful" this place is now that all those uppity women and brown people are gone. Tyler has no one to blame but himself for his shitty actions that led to this zombie of a forum.

Watching GAF devolve into a wannabe subreddit (complete with an "offensive humor" thread for extra points!) has been fascinating, in a trainwreck sort-of way. Pretty easy to say how "peaceful" this place is now that all those uppity women and brown people are gone. Tyler has no one to blame but himself for his shitty actions that led to this zombie of a forum.
Cool story.

Current Gaf is not just men. Also there are brown people here.

No one to blame for your misinformed uppity post but yourself.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit

You sure showed us how much better the other side is. Returning only to make baseless accusations devoid of any truth. Try to do a little bit better next time, mate.

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Banned

True. I miss the days when pictures of an interestingly engineered treehouse turned into an ongoing diatribe of white privilege.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/man-...-thanks-to-abhorrent-white-privilege.1069997/

Yeah. That wasn't the original thread title.

TrainedRage

Banned
Now That's What I Call Edge Vol. 12

JordanN

Banned
So Ontario, Canada held their provincial elections today and it's safe to say the Conservative Party won. What is Era's response?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/on...were-in-a-bad-spot.39326/page-69#post-8852081
Not funny. Maybe you're some privileged dude or whatever who can afford Baby Trump fucking with their life for the next 4 years, but I flat out fucking CAN'T. Certain policies that have been put in place by Liberals and that were going to be protected by the NDP are going to be fucking GONE now.

I know people in this trash-fire fucking province don't care about this, but politics actually affects people's lives.

Keep in mind, the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party isn't actually all that right wing (it is certainly more left compared to USA's Republicans for example) and yet the reaction is still just as exaggerated.
The whole thread is mirroring the same reaction to when Trump won the election on GAF. Looking for people to blame and calling others names, but not blaming yourself for the loss.

Edit: And we got a post that shows rural/suburban hatred. Only city people are "smart" during elections.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/on...were-in-a-bad-spot.39326/page-72#post-8853107
Fuck everyone outside of GTA. People in cities are simply smarter and more compassionate.

Last edited:

Corrik

Nope, I'm just amazed by the difference in user participation between GAF and Era.
I use both. I like this site for letting you say what you think whether mods agree with it or not. It is more down the middle politically, and you can have nice discussions here.

I use the other site mostly just for traffic. More topics, more posts. Some interesting stuff. Just stay away from politics as much as I can.

Skyn3t

Banned
Hmmm, I always thought gaming forum should be about games. It's kinda crazy when you think how political shit got here in the first place.

Michele

you.
Resetera?
I actually despise that site. The staff there are a bit too toxic to me.

i'm also a member of resetera, but it doesn't count, cuz i have created a account on resetera there and the staff just outright banned my account for reason: 'Recreation of account deleted for GDPR compliance'

I know that admins can read my IP but i do not recall creating alts. I dont know what is GDPR. i have never seen such treatment from that site. What im trying to say is, I have never created an account there so it would be my FIRST account. Idk what is GDPR, i'm assuming it's for privacy related things but i have put correct information (above 17) and correct email.

also, since i'm banned i can't log out of the account on that community. I really despise that site and i might not come back. i know it because in a discord related to resetera some peoples have complained about getting their account outright banned on first registration. My account was banned for reason above, i asked their opinions and most of their replies were with reason 'alt account', even though they have insisted that it's their first account. And they contacted support, but they dont reply. So in other word.....i used to like that site but not anymore. They wont unban my account.

I have also tried contacting sweetnicole and zhuge ex but to no avaliable. A friend provided me their emails and i asked them but they would NOT reply to me. It's like i'm a ghost.

Michele

you.
Resetera?
'I actually despise that site. The staff there are a bit too toxic to me.

i'm also a member of resetera, but it doesn't count, cuz i have created a account on resetera there and the staff just outright banned my account for reason: 'Recreation of account deleted for GDPR compliance'

I know that admins can read my IP but i do not recall creating alts. I dont know what is GDPR. i have never seen such treatment from that site. What im trying to say is, I have never created an account there so it would be my FIRST account. Idk what is GDPR, i'm assuming it's for privacy related things but i have put correct information (above 17) and correct email.

also, since i'm banned i can't log out of the account on that community. I really despise that site and i might not come back. i know it because in a discord related to resetera some peoples have complained about getting their account outright banned on first registration. My account was banned for reason above, i asked their opinions and most of their replies were with reason 'alt account', even though they have insisted that it's their first account. And they contacted support, but they dont reply. So in other word.....i used to like that site but not anymore. They wont unban my account.

I have also tried contacting sweetnicole and zhuge ex but to no avaliable. A friend provided me their emails and i asked them but they would NOT reply to me. It's like i'm a ghost.'

I cant edit anymore that message so i'm forced to do another post. About that....that story I just posted is from one of my best friend. Im not forcing you to not join resetera but he was saying some negative things about resetera. He never creates alts so it would be really unusual. If any mod/admins in NeoGAF is also admin/mod on Era then it would be appreciated to help him. His discord name is Mitsuko#2701 also I would like to correct a thing. He was banned for the reason 'alt account', not this GDPR thing.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
So Ontario, Canada held their provincial elections today and it's safe to say the Conservative Party won. What is Era's response?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/on...were-in-a-bad-spot.39326/page-69#post-8852081

Keep in mind, the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party isn't actually all that right wing (it is certainly more left compared to USA's Republicans for example) and yet the reaction is still just as exaggerated.
The whole thread is mirroring the same reaction to when Trump won the election on GAF. Looking for people to blame and calling others names, but not blaming yourself for the loss.

Edit: And we got a post that shows rural/suburban hatred. Only city people are "smart" during elections.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/on...were-in-a-bad-spot.39326/page-72#post-8853107

Funny. I grew up on a rural farm, hours away from any town (far more for any "city"), and I am currently well on my way to earning a PhD in Bio/Organic Chemistry. I am not alone as a number of my High School class have become medical practitioners, lawyers, and business owners. Most people I have met, regardless of their political beliefs have been very kind, generous, and open to just talk about random things.

Now, lets talk about my time in New York, LA, and San Francisco - very little of that applied. People were rude, ignorant of actual science (especially in LA and San Fran), and cared little for basic common decency like holding the door open for some one or saying "excuse me" when you bump into them. However, I also know that isn't the full story and that there are plenty of brilliant, caring people within cities. I worked with a number who grew up in places such as Brisbane, Osaka, Hong Kong, and Chicago.

Those... "children" (only word that I honestly think works for them), cannot see past their own ignorance and have to double down and believe that they are 'right'. Plus, apparently a lot of rural people tend to be republicans which instantly means they are evil, vile, and worship Satan. I didn't know this until today.

Resetera?
I actually despise that site. The staff there are a bit too toxic to me.

I have also tried contacting sweetnicole and zhuge ex but to no avaliable. A friend provided me their emails and i asked them but they would NOT reply to me. It's like i'm a ghost.

Assuming what you said is true: It could be that they believed you to be someone else and instead of coming to an understanding that they were wrong, they are doubling down on their decision and refusing to listen to any possibility that they were wrong. I have had extensive conversations with those mods/admins and they are assuredly not the kind that are open to discussions on possible failings.

It could also be that you are using a shared IP. I had this same issue when I started University a number of years back. I used to frequent the site 'The Escapist'. It was a chill little site at the time, long before this political push from authoritarian lefties. I was randomly banned one day, confused I messaged a moderator and they told me that I was an alt account. Apparently, there was another person who was banned using the university's IP address and, instead of understanding that they may be wrong, decided to do a blanket IP ban for everyone. Even to this day no one can create new accounts at that University.

Regardless, welcome to NeoGaf! I hope you enjoy your stay. People here tend to be far more chill and open to discussion. Just don't using childish personal insults like a few other former members here have and you should be golden.

Michele

you.
Funny. I grew up on a rural farm, hours away from any town (far more for any "city"), and I am currently well on my way to earning a PhD in Bio/Organic Chemistry. I am not alone as a number of my High School class have become medical practitioners, lawyers, and business owners. Most people I have met, regardless of their political beliefs have been very kind, generous, and open to just talk about random things.

Now, lets talk about my time in New York, LA, and San Francisco - very little of that applied. People were rude, ignorant of actual science (especially in LA and San Fran), and cared little for basic common decency like holding the door open for some one or saying "excuse me" when you bump into them. However, I also know that isn't the full story and that there are plenty of brilliant, caring people within cities. I worked with a number who grew up in places such as Brisbane, Osaka, Hong Kong, and Chicago.

Those... "children" (only word that I honestly think works for them), cannot see past their own ignorance and have to double down and believe that they are 'right'. Plus, apparently a lot of rural people tend to be republicans which instantly means they are evil, vile, and worship Satan. I didn't know this until today.

Assuming what you said is true: It could be that they believed you to be someone else and instead of coming to an understanding that they were wrong, they are doubling down on their decision and refusing to listen to any possibility that they were wrong. I have had extensive conversations with those mods/admins and they are assuredly not the kind that are open to discussions on possible failings.

It could also be that you are using a shared IP. I had this same issue when I started University a number of years back. I used to frequent the site 'The Escapist'. It was a chill little site at the time, long before this political push from authoritarian lefties. I was randomly banned one day, confused I messaged a moderator and they told me that I was an alt account. Apparently, there was another person who was banned using the university's IP address and, instead of understanding that they may be wrong, decided to do a blanket IP ban for everyone. Even to this day no one can create new accounts at that University.

Regardless, welcome to NeoGaf! I hope you enjoy your stay. People here tend to be far more chill and open to discussion. Just don't using childish personal insults like a few other former members here have and you should be golden.

It is also nice to meet you, although I wasn't using childish insults. It is just the story from one of my friend, but it might be as you said. He has not created an alt for now, but one thing I'd like to mention is that according to him, two of these six or eight tried to bypass the ban by changing the IP. One managed to get through but the mod/admins somehow managed to find the real IP of the other.

I don't actually hate Resetera, but he said that it felt like he got hurt in the chest. The ban reason, like I said, is 'Alt Account', but it's really strange because 1. He has not created an alt and 2. Alt account of WHO? It says the ban reason is Alt Account, but he's a alt of who? Usually mods would put the real culprit, so the name missing would be strange.

But thanks anyways!

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
It is also nice to meet you, although I wasn't using childish insults. It is just the story from one of my friend, but it might be as you said. He has not created an alt for now, but one thing I'd like to mention is that according to him, two of these six or eight tried to bypass the ban by changing the IP. One managed to get through but the mod/admins somehow managed to find the real IP of the other.

I don't actually hate Resetera, but he said that it felt like he got hurt in the chest. The ban reason, like I said, is 'Alt Account', but it's really strange because 1. He has not created an alt and 2. Alt account of WHO? It says the ban reason is Alt Account, but he's a alt of who? Usually mods would put the real culprit, so the name missing would be strange.

But thanks anyways!

Oh, sorry! I was not trying to suggest you were using personal attacks. I was just a friendly reminder as to cultivate good discussions. Just woke up so my wording is rather poorer than usual.

My wife grew up on a farm. They have so much land that when her parents separated, her mom built a house on the other end of the property. They didn’t have much contact other then children stuff.

My wife is an engineer and has her masters in business.

One of her classmates from college, also from rural America is a junior executive of a company most people are customers.

Got to love a group of people who hate generalizations making generalizations.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Oh, sorry! I was not trying to suggest you were using personal attacks. I was just a friendly reminder as to cultivate good discussions. Just woke up so my wording is rather poorer than usual.
Hey, it's fine, my love! :love::love:
Really nice to meet you! I will post here as I get more information from him about his issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom