• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
okay, here's my fps:

1024x768: 33-65
640x480: 50-70

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Apharmd Battler said:
It doesn't look bad at all on older hardware so the XBox haters may be in for a shock. I know that statement alone will turn this thread upside down, but iD wasn't kidding when they said the engine was scalable. It's VERY playable on older hardware.
John Carmack said it himself best:
John Carmack on G4 said:
"Original core rendering desicions for Doom, were influenced very specifically by the capabilities of the Xbox. We knew at the time what the Xbox was going to be like, coming out, and the rendering of what we do with geometry and services and textures and all that was crafted around something that was going to be efficient on the Xbox."

The video can be found here: http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/doom3/g4_icons_doom3-hi.zip.html

EDIT: Sorry I have that video split into three different files so I can't give you an accurate time of when it starts. For me it starts at 2:29, so you would have to add 2:29 after the third commercial break ends.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just played for liek a half hour or so and holy shit this game scares the crap out of me.

Sweet.

Damn fine looking too.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Here's an interest Time article about id and Doom 3. While nothing noteworthy they did have a few funny comments about Carmack:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101040809-674778-1,00.html
Time said:
In 1993 id consisted of six rootless dorks in an office in Mesquite, Texas, a suburb of Dallas. Carmack, their programming ringer, was a 23-year-old who had spent a year in juvie and completed exactly two semesters at the University of Missouri at Kansas City. Carmack is an odd duck: blond, skinny, with a fixed, unblinking gaze and a curious vocal tic — his sentences often end with an involuntary noise that sounds something like Mn! Despite his otherworldly demeanor, he is artlessly charming, although he does not make anything resembling small talk. It's not because he's too busy or aloof; you get the impression he doesn't make small talk because he has never heard of it.

SyNapSe

Ok, do we have an semi-official date on the release of a demo for this game? I'd like to see how it runs on my PC.

Tenguman

border said:
Another PC game watered down because of Xbox? =(

Maybe that's why the shadowing sucks...
Yeah the shadowing does kinda suck. I did notice that "ghosting" effect that items get when you apply a light source. It's like it almost has two shadows, except one is suspended in mid air with no ligh-source precision. Feels more like a hack to me.

Though I don't notice it while blowing up monsters, it is a flaw in an otherwise awesome system. At least it's not as noticeable as the Unreal-engine's light flares bleeding through walls.

golem

yeah, i think the shadowing from the flashlight is probably faked in some way, using a different set of rules than the rest of the lighting... at least it runs better than DXIW and T3 i suppose. The player shadow also adds alot to the game, i dont know why they disabled it by default, its a cool effect.

pixelated

my set up
a64 3200
1 GB ram
9600XT

1024 X 768 High 16 - 50 fps, im surprised how well it says above 35 most of the time

friend has almost same specs except replace the 9600XT with a 5600 256mb, I believe my set up runs it a bit smoother

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got done with a nice 4 hour session...

First of all, tech...

Doom 3 is the most polished PC game I have ever played. THIS is what I've been wanting from the PC industry and FINALLY someone answered the call. Incredible animation, virtually flawless transitions between everything, a beautiful interface, and tons of nice touches. The game really stands up to top console offerings in terms of solidity...which isn't something I expected. Loading is handled in a very polished way as well (which falls under transitions) and is VERY quick. The FIRST time you boot the game and load a level, it takes 20-22 seconds. After that, each level takes ~10 seconds with save reloads hitting about 3 seconds (so fast that the action just fades out and the saved point fades in).

Framerate is very impressive on my machine. I had to use V-sync, as the tearing was just too much to take, but now the game literally switches between a solid 60 fps and a solid 30 fps depending on the scene. I have not seen it drop lower and only occasionally have I seen something in between. I'm suprised that it hangs out at 60 fps so often, but it really does. I am running at 800x600 with high detail on a P4-2.4 GHz + 1gb PC3200 ram + 9700 Pro.

Sadly, Far Cry spoiled me (visually). Doom 3 looks incredible and moves so much smoother than FC ever did...but it is clearly lacking a lot of the more advanced tech. I thought cybamerc was full of it when he first claimed Doom 3 to be a DX7 level game...but it is now very obvious. The tech just can't stand up to the CryTek engine from a pure feature standpoint. Of course, Doom 3 performs much better than FC. I'd also expect Half-Life 2 to outperform Doom 3. Oddly enough, the shadows haven't really impressed. I believe that Thief 3 actually does a much better job of using shadows and bumpmaps in the environment...even though the engine runs slower.

OK, but the game was what I was most interested in and so far, it's a mixed bag with a lean towards the positive. Many of the flaws mentioned here certainly hold true, but the game still manages to be a lot of fun. The level of polish combined with the most intense enemies I've ever encountered in an FPS combine to create a compelling experience. Sadly, the areas you visit really don't seem to stand out from one another due to the intense darkness surrounding them. Still, the game is enjoyable to play and I can't wait to continue.

It's basically a very solid game that does very little new. It focuses on polishing up an existing formula to perfection rather than attempting to re-create the genre...but hey, we all know this by now.

Oh, and thus far, it hasn't really been all that scary. It can't handle a candle to System Shock 2 or Silent Hill.

One final note...

Due to complaints of the game being too "easy", I started my game on the hardest available difficulty. It has actually been a very solid challenge. Nothing too much, but the enemies can really own you quickly and there isn't really tons of health lying around. I believe that the difficulty level is actually aiding the gameplay for me, as messing up an encounter could cost you nearly an entire life bar!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
For your amusement:

NO BUMP MAPPING
d3nobump01.jpg

BUMP MAPPING
d3bump01.jpg

EDIT: Thief III most definitely does not do bump mapping on the quality or complexity of Doom 3. Real time shadowing it does eclipse Doom 3 but static shadowing it unfortunately doesn't compare. The Lighting is also far more complex and better executed in Doom 3. I am a massive fan of Thief III so this is no way a slam on the game, I'm just comparing tech sheets and visual execution.

EDIT2: Oh I see, you weren't comparing technical prowress but asthetic acheivements. That is of course up to personal opinion, in some cases I was heavily impressed with the Thief III enviroments and the use of shadows to barely illuminate the enviroment to perfection but in other cases Doom 3 just blew me away with it's unbridled use of bump mapping and lighting to really bring life to flat polygons. Thief III uses a heavily modified UT2003 engine, so modified that Ion Storm actually called it by a different name. The engine itself is also an enhanced version of what was used in DE: IW, with heavy modifications to the lighting and shadowing routines (gee I wonder why?).

border

First of all, I just finished the game and I have to correct something that was kind of wrong about my earlier impressions (very minor spoilers for those that haven't read any of the reviews):

The second half of the game does not take place in Hell. I don't know exactly what led me to believe this -- either the PC Gamer review or my own preconceptions. Hell is basically just one level, and as soon as you are done with it they send you right back to Mars for more "Find the PDA/item" missions. It's kind of a shame since Hell is the most visually striking and imaginative level, and it briefly allows the game to break out of somewhat boring conventions and give you the more pure combat experience. Eventually the research station starts to turn into Hell so at least the later sections have a more varied and warped look.
dark10x said:
Sadly, the areas you visit really don't seem to stand out from one another due to the intense darkness surrounding them..
Don't blame the darkness. The first 2/3 of the game feel same-y because they are the same. It is all gloomy, grey industrial corridors with the same design scheme and a heavily shared set of textures. Light or dark, the stages are not really going to stand out from one another.

That's a part of the "problem", I guess. Most of the first 15-17 stages don't have anything distinctive about them. Remembering back on playing them, it's all just a blur. I couldn't really tell you anything about what happened where or how things progressed because the settings are just as repetitive and interchangeable as the mission objectives. There are a handful of nice highlights like the hospital, the UAC's peculiar "museum", and the brief excursions onto the surface of Mars, though. I certainly perked up whenever there was a significant change in scenery. There is a lack of major setpieces, to be sure.

You have a better eye for these things than I do.....but do you really think that Doom 3 runs more smoothly than FarCry? I would say they are about even in terms of framerate (though perhaps you mean animation as well).

golem

for me at least, doom 3 runs alot smoother than far cry, but then again it isnt trying to render large vistas.. indoors, they were similar i think (though the indoor areas in d3 are more complex imo)

dark10x

Doom 3 absolutely runs better the Far Cry. I was even play FC this past Saturday, and while it runs decently, it RARELY runs at 60 fps...and sometimes drops below 30 fps (not very often, though). Doom 3 pushes 60 fps a good 50% of the time (maybe even more), which is very impressive.

Of course, I played FC with the highest possible settings (including stuff like Ultra quality water). It ran fine, of course...but Doom 3 is a lot smoother. When I first played FC, the indoor segments ran quite poorly whereas the outdoor areas were smooth. This past weekend, however, I found that the indoor areas run very well now (though still far from Doom 3 performance). Oh yes, as noted above, I play Doom 3 with V-sync enabled...but playing FC with V-sync is just a bit too sluggish at times.

Is there a way to turn of AF when using the high quality mode, though? AF hurts the performance enough that I'd rather just turn it off. I'd pull off a better framerate without it as well...even though it is already very smooth.

Oh, and I am still enjoying it despite the repetition in backgrounds...afterall, Halo is one of my favorite FPS titles of all time AND I enjoyed Breakdown (and THAT is saying a lot). Breakdown has some of the most boring locations ever seen in an FPS (well, a semi-FPS), yet it was still a good time...

I dont have my "demo" anymore but didnt it have better lighting?

I know farcry has this (in the first level you can knock that hanging lamp around and see true shadowing whereas dooms shadowing seems to be "faking" it?)

That kinda let me down, because I could have swore the lighting in the demo was more accurate than in the final. (maybe it was just too costly?)

hobart

Playing on decent specs... 2.3 ghz; ti4600 510 RAM

I actually tried it on High Qual and 1048... Choppy at parts (where a lot is happening on screen) but certainly playable... more playable on medium, however :)

And I'm also playing with headphones... and it makes the game so much more intense... I'm jumping all over the place and I NEVER jump.

Great feeling... really enjoying the game in these early stages.

teepo

doom3 is just such a better looking game then farcry in terms of animation and everything. farcry felt very unpolished imo.

xabre

Banned
I have to agree that Far Cry has the superior engine (and from what I've played so far of Doom 3, the better game). I think it's a matter of scope, in Far Cry you have similar, albeit more varied interiors with the Doom 3 esque lighting, not to mention an engine capable of drawing huge, detailed outdoor areas with large amounts of foliage. Also lacking is the extensive shader effects of Far Cry (Turns out I was right here, Doom 3 is pretty much devoid of pixel shader effects which makes sense since the game looks roughly the same from a DirectX7 class GF4MX all the way up to a modern 6800 Ultra). Doom 3 is certainly not bad looking, it is probably one of the best looking games made so far. Some lighting effects are very nice and there is some significant detail in the characters and environment (some Martian landscape scenes look gorgeous). What hurts it is lack of variety, some really iffy flashlight shadow projection effects and a lack of pixel shader effects (only few I know of is heat haze and maybe refractive glass) comparable to the Crytek or Source engines.

I know farcry has this (in the first level you can knock that hanging lamp around and see true shadowing whereas dooms shadowing seems to be "faking" it?)

Doom 3 has these hanging light effects too. Looks cool, but since it's already been done by Far Cry (and Splinter Cell and probably other games I'm unaware of), it's nothing particularly original.

SKluck

Banned
The only lighting in doom 3 that is really in err seems to be the flashlight. But just get in a pitch black room with some imps and you can see the lighting is insane for the most part. I did notice when you step off the ship, first thing in the game, the ship itself is lit per poly. Very weird, because the shadows it casts are even per pixel.

The gameplay is pretty cheap for the most part. If you see a fully lit room, expect it to go pitch black the moment you step into it. Enemies that teleport in 1 ft in front of you when you open a door, and a door that slides open when you walk past it to reveal an imp. But it really doesn't matter. It just makes you more paranoid. Even realizing the simple gameplay and cheap scare tactics, I still like the gameplay, and it still scares the fuck out of me. A+ on the ambience.

I'm wearing headphones, which does make it more intense, I hear.

And the only times I have been able to play the game is after midnight, that doesn't help my sanity much.

teepo said:
doom3 is just such a better looking game then farcry in terms of animation and everything. farcry felt very unpolished imo.
Yeah, Farcry had everything, except animation. If they worked on that more it would be pretty much perfect, graphically.

border

I feel that the reaction of fans and critics will be very much the same as with Halo. They are very polarizing experiences.....where a significant majority will say "It's the best thing ever" and a very vocal minority will say "It sucks" or "It's average and overrated".

Halo and Doom 3 share the same obvious flaw -- a lack of visual variety and a fairly repetitive structure. Where they differ is that Halo appeals to gameplay junkies while Doom 3 appeals to atmosphere/graphics junkies. In the eyes of some, the intensity and depth of Halo's combat helps overcome the repetition just as the mood and feel of Doom 3 helps overcome the same issue in the eyes of a very different crowd.

So far critics have completely overlooked Doom 3's problems. They don't even mention the problems for the sake of dismissing them. It's a testament to the combination of atmosphere, nostalgia, graphics, and production values......though at the same time I wonder how much "Give it a great review" pressure has been put on them by the likes of id, Activision, ATI, nVidia and other various interests that are relying on the game to help them rake in dollars. It seems a little hokey that PC Gamer got this huge early, exclusive review almost for the sake of providing a blurb that went right on the box art. All the while the media have been hyping this title for years, and in some sense it would be egg on their faces to admit to mediocrity in something that they have devoted so much content to.

Now for the counterbalance to all that cynicism...

I can't really abide giving ridiculously high marks to a game that is so conventional and unambitious, but at the same time I can understand why someone might give it a superlative review. Similarly, I'm a staunch Halo lover but can still understand why someone might have been fairly bored with it. Gamers that can stomach both the atmosphere-oriented titles and the gameplay-oriented titles are the real winners here, as they will get a huge kick out of Doom or Halo.

Tenguman

Well I'm about 5 hours in, early in the game so I'm still forming a lot of opinions.

The whole beginning of the game has a real half-life feel to it (seems to tred on the legal line a few times). The initial setup was pretty damn awesome. Everything going to shit was mindblowing and the first hour or so had me on my toes. I jumped a few times in this initial hour as the game showed clever ways of freaking you out with demons coming out from all sorts of odd places.

The problem is that the designers seemed to have blown every good idea they had on that first hour. After that, things begin to level off. I still feel creepy in certain areas and there are still some "oh shit" moments --- but nothing like that first hour. The game seems to get lazy; for example, instead of having creatures pop up in certain places cleverly like they did early in the game, they just spawn them in behind you or something. You just start to get numb to the whole thing and it's killing the suspence.

The PDA sequences remind me of System Shock 2, Unreal, and Metroid Prime. I know most people hate this style of story telling, but I love it. Instead of disconnecting the player with tons of cutscenes, you let the player unfold things on their own -- with a feeling that they are in control and are apart of the world they are gaming in. Doom 3 seems to do a real good job of this, and I love the neat little things like spam, chatty emails, etc, etc. It really builds the world in my mind.

You begin to realize real quick that any resemblance to real AI is actually scripted events. That marine ducking behind the box is doing that because he was scripted to, not because he's responding to anything you're doing. It's really a shame, because you could really create some awesome scare-moments if the AI was smarter. The AI's stupidity is even killing the suspense. For instance --- the lights go off and you KNOW there are monsters in the room. All you have to do is run to the well-lighted room and wait for them to follow you there. Scary?

The saving grace of Doom 3 is its presentation and atmosphere. The damn game is SLICK. I haven't played a game this polished since Metroid Prime. The interfaces, the menu systems, etc etc ALL are easy to use and just ooze polish. It's clear Id took great care in this area of the game. The sound of course is amazing and really needs to be heard in 5.1. The graphics are badass and really envelop you. I still love seeing those fireballs whiz past my face with that burning glow lighting up my screen.

SO FAR, the game seems to suffer from Id's famous weaknesses. Generic gameplay and levels that run all together. Yes, even with these amazing graphics, everything STILL looks the same (much like all their other games). I guess you can say it's because of the setting, but really how is this setting any different from past Id games? I think it's time Id explore something other than industrial corridors for a change.

5 hours in though, and I'm still going. I really do like it -- it's a GOOD game, I just hope it gets better.

I can't help but feel that this game is just 2 years too late.

nubbe

I like DooM3 alot!

There are only two games that has made me scream in horror.. Eternal Darkness
the bathtub
and now DooM3...
the elevator, that little bitch took me off guard

Boogie9IGN

Need some help on this part:

WHERE IS THAT DAMNED PERSONNEL ELEVATOR IN THE ALPHA LABS? IVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR 2 HOURS AND I CANNOT FIND THE DAMN THING

border

One additional thing to say about Doom 3 -- this is a game that you pretty much have to play at night, in an unlit room. I tried playing during the day, but the glare from the light coming into the room makes it difficult to see a lot of things (even with the in-game brightness settings at maximum). If your PC is in a room with no windows this obviously doesn't apply, but some of the "It's too dark" complaints might be coming from people that are playing in less-than-optimal settings.

And if you don't have a 5.1 setup, you should definitely hook up some headphones because a pair of generic speakers really won't do that game any justice.

myzhi

Banned
Just finish it earlier today. It was an amazing and scary journey. Near the end, my heart was racing at a hundred miles per hour, and was, getting somewhat parnoid every twist and turn. The end boss was amazing, but somewhat easy once you figure out what need to be done.

"Before Doom most games took place in flatland: they were two-dimensional, like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man. But Carmack figured out a way for the cheapo, underpowered personal computers of the day to create depth, to render three-dimensional spacea miniature theater, a virtual dreamworld in which the player could move around at will. "You could have fun with those old games, but it was more of a detached, abstract sort of fun," Carmack says. "But when you take the exact same game play, put it in the first-person perspective, and you go around a corner, open up a door, and there's a monster, like, full-screen, right there, you saw people just go aggggghhh and jump back. That's something you never, ever could have done before." With Doom the monitor screen became a magic rabbit hole, and you fell down it, screaming all the way. Mn!"
:lol

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
border said:
When shining the light through a mesh fence, there is no mesh shadow created on the wall. .
Fences are done with alpha textures and as such don't work with stencil shadows (would be too expensive in terms of performance anyway).

When you shine the light into a mirror, it doesn't reflect at all.
Bouncing lights are also expensive.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Cybamerc said:
Fences are done with alpha textures and as such don't work with stencil shadows (would be too expensive in terms of performance anyway).
Well depends on how dense the fence is :p
Should note that Doom3 doesn't do ALL shadows with stencil either - there are some parts that clearly use some kind of shadow map projectors.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Fafalada said:
Well depends on how dense the fence is :p
Should note that Doom3 doesn't do ALL shadows with stencil either - there are some parts that clearly use some kind of shadow map projectors.
Only for static light sources though.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I pretty much agree with Dark10 about the whole FC Vs Doom 3 engine.
Another thing that bother me is the lack of interactive object in Doom3 compare to FC ( HL2 should be pretty interactive too ).

You can't even shoot the damn TV with the infomercial.

dark10x

One question...

I'm using a set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speakers (since 1999!!!) and I would like to use the surround sound. The problem is that, obviously, I lack a center channel. Has anyone successfully managed to pull off 4.1 audio instead of 5.1? Depending on my windows settings, it either informs me that it can not find my rear speakers or accepts my change and tries to use a center channel that doesn't exist. I've tried changing the number of speakers to "5" in the cfg file, and it always seems to reset itself to "2" speakers as a result. Any suggestions?

On another note...

Having compared it to Far Cry earlier, I'd also say that Riddick's engine on XBOX is more impressive in many aspects. To be quite honest, Riddick had some nice shader usage and a seemingly more robust shadowing engine. Not only that, I actually think the models used for characters are higher quality in Riddick. The difference between the two is in the environments, however. Riddick has fairly simple environments all around and certainly doesn't even begin to display anywhere near the same amount of "stuff" per room that Doom 3 does. Lots of flat surfaces spiced up with nice textures and texture effects. I'm still very impressed with what Star Breeze pulled off on XBOX...now more so than ever.

Also, as hinted at earlier, I gotta given ION Storm a little credit now. While Thief III certainly didn't perform all that well (though not too bad), the actual lighting engine is better than Doom 3's IMO. Better usage of bump maps and shadows all around. When a guard walks through a detailed room with tons of objects while carrying a torch, all of those items cast beautiful shadows perfectly as he strolls on by. They just put shadows to much better use in T3...

ced

Ive played about 6 hours now.

Im VERY impressed with the overall visual presentation, the shadows and mapping look crisper and cleaner than T3, FC or Riddick to me. Im running high @ 800x600 vsync/2x aa and its smooth as butter. FYI I got a huge boost going from 1024 to 800 and almost cant tell the difference.

Im not sure how I would rate this though, I think ID did what they set out to do, make a polished atmoshpheric and scary game. With that said the combat stinks, but I cant complain too much cause I knew it was going to be like this, Im not really disappointed.

Tell me this though, is the cacodemon and baron of hell in this?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
AMD Athlon 3000+ (Barton core) CPU
1GB PC3200 DDR RAM (400MHz CL3.0)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (128 MB RAM) video card (Catalyst 4.7 drivers)
Game resolution 1024X768 (haven't bumped it up higher or played around with antialiasing or ansiotropic filtering, rumor has it it's all 8X by default in the .ini, but I'm too lazy too investigate).

Those are my specs as well.

I find that w/ Doom3 and most games, if you have a high-end card, lower resolutions make the game perform much worse. For me, the higher the resolution, the better the refresh...up 'til a point, than it's the opposite.

I also turn off shadows in most games. They don't add much visually IMO ('cept for screen capstures), and they hinder performance greatly.

I'm enjoying the game a great deal. My only nit pick other than a graphics engine that's a lil' to complex for its own good, is that the sound lacks 'umph'. Especially compared to other recent FPS'.

Doom 3 performs much better than FC.

Wait a minute dark10x. Can't say I agree w/ that. Because Far Cry renders indoor environs as nice as Doom3, in addition to having massive, foliage-laced outdoor environments, how could you think Doom3 is the better performer?

I achieve 60fps much more consistanly w/ Far Cry than w/ Doom3. Doom3 seems to hit and stick w/ 60fps when background geometry is shallow, like walking down a hall or anything really enclosed. When a door is opened and the engine has to render two rooms, the frame rate plummets. Far Cry doesn't have that on/off smoothness. It's more consistant.

hobart

Can someone please tell me what the name of the menu theme on Doom 3 is? I've been looking for about an hour where to find it and all I found was that Chris Vrenna did it.

Anyone got a name... or perhaps something more concrete? It's pretty awesome.

Side Note: I play in my finished basement where most of my computing equipment is (sans my Mac). Really gives me the shits expecially since I have an oscillating fan on (coupled with the sound... I'm getting the chills in certain parts of the game). I know I looked around me a few times when playing the game too...

...and seriously... I don't spoke easily... but I've never actually played an FPS like this with headphones on before (I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, BTW). Just completely engrosses me and I really do think you need sound like this in order to truly appreciate this game.

11:00 pm can't come soon enough :)

Xp2000+
512mb pc2700
9800pro 128meg

Runs decent at 800x600 with medium detail, the odd bit of slow down and very rarely super slowdown

Still there is a question that i must ask. Why does the marine you are playing have loose change in his pocket?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Apple Jax said:
Can someone please tell me what the name of the menu theme on Doom 3 is? I've been looking for about an hour where to find it and all I found was that Chris Vrenna did it.

Anyone got a name... or perhaps something more concrete? It's pretty awesome.

Side Note: I play in my finished basement where most of my computing equipment is (sans my Mac). Really gives me the shits expecially since I have an oscillating fan on (coupled with the sound... I'm getting the chills in certain parts of the game). I know I looked around me a few times when playing the game too...

...and seriously... I don't spoke easily... but I've never actually played an FPS like this with headphones on before (I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card, BTW). Just completely engrosses me and I really do think you need sound like this in order to truly appreciate this game.

11:00 pm can't come soon enough :)

I have a pm for you, if you want to download the theme. Chris Vrenna = Tweaker http://www.tweaker.net/ much like Trent Reznor = NIN

DaCocoBrova said:
Those are my specs as well.

I find that w/ Doom3 and most games, if you have a high-end card, lower resolutions make the game perform much worse. For me, the higher the resolution, the better the refresh...up 'til a point, than it's the opposite.

I also turn off shadows in most games. They don't add much visually IMO ('cept for screen capstures), and they hinder performance greatly.

I'm enjoying the game a great deal. My only nit pick other than a graphics engine that's a lil' to complex for its own good, is that the sound lacks 'umph'. Especially compared to other recent FPS'.

Wait a minute dark10x. Can't say I agree w/ that. Because Far Cry renders indoor environs as nice as Doom3, in addition to having massive, foliage-laced outdoor environments, how could you think Doom3 is the better performer?

I achieve 60fps much more consistanly w/ Far Cry than w/ Doom3. Doom3 seems to hit and stick w/ 60fps when background geometry is shallow, like walking down a hall or anything really enclosed. When a door is opened and the engine has to render two rooms, the frame rate plummets. Far Cry doesn't have that on/off smoothness. It's more consistant.

Kudos to your setup!! ;)

Just curious what you're getting in terms of framerate. I'm getting 40-60 range I'd say it's usually around 47-50 (not that I give a damn, because for the most part the game is smooth). I'm not a clock watching, framerate tweaking, graphic pandering PC elitist, like some of my pals. I haven't tried to get a frame rate in FarCry, but I noticed a huge difference when I went from 512MB to 1GB of DDR RAM. When I built my rig earlier this year everyone was saying that 512MB would be enough. Then UT2K4 and Far Cry dropped and the rules changed.

dark10x

UT2004 was OK with 512mb or ram...but Far Cry really needs 1gb. When I went up to 1gb of ram, FC saw some massive performance boosts AND I could run with the highest texture detail.

Which is another thing I've noticed with Doom 3...the textures aren't that great. Far Cry absolutely destroys it in terms of texture detail...though I suppose Doom 3 has more texture variety (that is, it doesn't rely as heavily on LARGE repeating patterns).

UT will live with 512mb of ram, but even on normal settings, it's pretty much filling all of the RAM. High and up totally kill 512mb machines.

atomsk

Party Pooper
those tweaks on page 3 made the game much more playable for me, thanks.

instead of 25-30 fps with massive drops during action, i'm now getting 40-60fps and it rarely drops below 30

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
yeah i was playing the game on low detail before at 640x480

now i'm playing at 1024x768 on high detail.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm not gonna ramble on with the techbabble, other than comment how this game runs about equally as well as Farcry does on my setup. Meaning it putters along very nicely even on the highest settings. (Damn well better given my hardware! Actually Farcry does get slightly better framerates)

Athlon 64 3200+
1 gig RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro

1024x768
High Detail
~45 fps average

Strangely though, autoscanning my hardware gets Low quality at 640x480...WTF??! Gotta be broken...

I really dig the game so far, but the game is FAR from the most 'splendiferous' FPS I've touched.

Like dark10x, I immediately jumped into the -Hard- difficulty and it has been QUITE a tough ride for the few hours put in. The imps/zombies are easilly avoided, but those god-damned marine zombies with the shotguns and pistols and such have FAR too accurate shooting ability. They can peck off serious health at the greatest distances before you are even aware of their presence. Add in the extremely claustrophobic environments and the total lack of a lean function and you have a real attrition based shooter that is in NEED of a tuneup.

On the otherhand, I really do like the sense of urgency that goes along with this difficulty setting. All those hidden health caches and supply lockers are ALWAYS useful. It becomes worthwhile to search those silly PDA files and websites to get some medicine, I am constantly teetering on the verge of death which can be occasionally frustrating, but it only supports the tension which is pretty much all this shooter has going for it...besides fancy aesthetics.

But what is up with the armor? I often find myself averaging 100+ on the armor levels yet my health seem unnaffected. When I die I notice armor levels still in the range of 80+ on most occasions. Are those zombies just THAT good with headshots?

Finally, I REALLY dig the feel of the gunplay, particularly the way your own character is affected by damage. Taking a shotgun blast at close range from a zombie can really knock you on your ass. Though I often don't get that same sensation from shooting my enemies unfortunately. Wielding the shotgun feels mighty, but the same knockback 'effect' just isn't there when I nail Mr. Zombie with a non-lethal blow compared to when he hits me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom