• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Kudos to your setup!!

Just curious what you're getting in terms of framerate. I'm getting 40-60 range I'd say it's usually around 47-50 (not that I give a damn, because for the most part the game is smooth). I'm not a clock watching, framerate tweaking, graphic pandering PC elitist, like some of my pals. I haven't tried to get a frame rate in FarCry, but I noticed a huge difference when I went from 512MB to 1GB of DDR RAM. When I built my rig earlier this year everyone was saying that 512MB would be enough. Then UT2K4 and Far Cry dropped and the rules changed.

XP idle, takes up damn near 200mb of RAM. You can never have too much RAM. People also told me that I wouldn't see a difference in gaming performance w/ another stick of 512. Bull. Sh!t.

Big difference.

I only notice the frame rate when it's either @ 60fps, or under. It's a good/bad thing for me. Doom3 jumps around between the two. I just hate how lower frame rates affect camera panning. Makes aiming a bitch.

SaitoH

About 5 hours in and loving it. It may be a more traditional FPS fair, but Doom 3 excels at making you paranoid and I find that aspect of the game truly compelling. I hate to put my gun away to use my flashlight, but I need the flashlight to examine all those dark nooks and crannies.

I don't wanna blink ... cause that's when they get ya. My eyeballs are going to dry out!

Great stuff.

^w^

Belfast

One question:: Will the game even *let* you run in Ultra Quality? I tried it and the game ran just as well as it did in High Quality. I'm just wondering if it automatically kicks you into High Quality if you don't have a 512MB graphics card (which nobody does....). I didn't notice much difference in the graphics anyway, so despite it saying Ultra Quality in the options, I feel it was still running in High.

Some impressions: This is Doom. Despite the attempts from media publications to say otherwise, this isn't a survival horror FPS. Ammo, armor, and medkits are always around the corner. Enemies often take one or two hits to bring down (from the shotgun anyway), and at times, there *can* be many of them. There are small corridors and hidden rooms where enemies can pop out or you can find ammo all the time. If like the game a lot, but a caveat: if you wanted Doom with modern graphics and better, overall atmosphere, this is your game. If you want Resident Evil/Silent Hill the FPS, this is not. It seems like the devs had some issues on where exactly they were going to take this game, but it looks as if they settled on the good 'ol Doom formula in the end. This is not a bad thing, but I can see where people might have a misconception.

Also, I really haven't been that scared. There was only one point where I was sure I'd cleared a room of enemies and was operating some machinery when I ate a shotgun blast in the back from a shotgun zombie. Then again, I pretty much prepared myself not to be scared when I played the game. Needless to say, depending on how you play the game and how much you WANT to be scared, YMMV.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I do believe Painkiller is more 'Doom' than this game personnally.

-Far more freedom to move/strafe(arena-esque map design)
-Linear maze-like levels -purely- focused on the slaughter with the occasional secret nook.
-Level stats
-Enemies that spawn in waves and droves ready to be offed.

This new Doom IS inthusfar more identifiable as horror adventure hybrid thing moreso than its root games. But I dig it alright. It definately strays from the formula to deliver cinematics, plot, justification, etc... Yes, you shoot and occasionnally find healing supplies as well, but this is no pure fragfest.

And Painkiller is pretty kickass surprisingly.

Hooker

Doom3 gives me Quake2 flashbacks, which is goooood! :)

Oh yeah ->

mb.gif

Unique visitors: 71568

I LOVE it when developers do stuff like this. This is what seperates the good games from the great games :)

Hooker said:
Doom3 gives me Quake2 flashbacks, which is goooood! :)

Oh yeah ->

mb.gif

Unique visitors: 71568

I LOVE it when developers do stuff like this. This is what seperates the good games from the great games :)

I missed the first one :( but apparently theres another crate later on but i want
chaingun + ammo belt
dammit

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do believe Painkiller is more 'Doom' than this game personnally.

I actually don't agree anymore...

Before Doom 3 was released, I was playing a lot of Doom 2. While I had always been aware that Serious Sam and Painkiller were different, I didn't realize HOW different they were. Those games focus on LARGE, generally linear areas with tons of monsters to kill that just keep coming. Doom isn't like that at all. The level design in Doom is very different and (IMO) much better than any of those recent attempts at matching.

Slo

John Carmack thinks message board nerds are savages. :p

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=116699&cid=9876672

John Carmack said:
I am extremely proud of Doom 3. I think it is the best game we have ever made, and it exceeded all of my expectations. That is a rather trite phrase, but it is literally true -- I had a good set of expectations for how the game would turn out based on the technologies that it was built on, and it wound up being just plain better than that.

We think a lot of people will like it.

I don't follow gaming message boards, because, at its best, entertainment is going to be a subjective thing that can't win for everyone, while at worst, a particular game just becomes a random symbol for petty tribal behavior. This slashdot story is about as close as I want to go...

Amidst all the various Doom ports and expansions, we are starting up on our next game. It will have a new rendering engine, which will be keeping me busy for a while, but the only other thing we are saying for now is that it won't be a sequel to any of our previous work. We have a really solid team that did a lot of maturing through Doom's development, so I have high hopes that it won't be another four year odyssey.

John Carmack

Thaedolus

Let's say I have a friend who hypothetically downloaded the game to play it early but just got his legit version in the mail. And this friend would like to change his CD-key to the legit version to play online. How would my friend go about doing this?

ahh, my friend figured it out.

dark10x

I think it is the best game we have ever made

I would agree! While it doesn't make any major strides in the genre (which certainly isn't a requirement), it is quite enjoyable to play and certainly plays much better than any other single player game they have ever made...

Belfast

Thaedolus said:
Let's say I have a friend who hypothetically downloaded the game to play it early but just got his legit version in the mail. And this friend would like to change his CD-key to the legit version to play online. How would my friend go about doing this?

Re-install it?

And yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with the Painkiller/Serious Sam comparisons (and I like those games, too). Sure, the original Doom games had a few rooms like that, where there were just tons of enemies thrown your way....especially later on, when whole walls would just come down revealing bunches of enemies. Still, the majority of the game was taking on small groups of enemies in corridors and mid-sized rooms. The farther I get into Doom 3, the more this becomes prevelant. In the beginning, you're only facing a monster or two at a time, and then it slowly starts ramping up the number of enemies thrown at you in a given period. Its really got all the old Doom mechanics....revealing walls (hidden areas where enemies will pop out when you trigger them), random medpacks and ammo all over the place, flickering lights, close-quarters battles with a small squad of enemies, etc., etc. Then playing Serious Sam or something, you see that instead of having a smooth flow through the game where enemies are steadily thrown at you, each area is a set piece and many have extremely open environments with a lot of room to move around (not to mention room for the myriad enemies thrown at you). Doom is a lot about "what's around the corner" while Serious Sam/Painkiller is more about "I know what's around the corner, and that's an assload of enemies."

The differences are sometimes subtle, but I'm pretty convinced that they're there. Now, Painkiller/SS certainly share more in common with Doom than they do Half-Life or something, but they are not exactly the same kinds of games.

Thaedolus

oh, I just went and manually changed the doomkey file. err..my friend did.

I'm downloading the Cat 4.9 beta drivers now, anyone tried them yet? I just updated to the 4.8 betas too...

Kon Tiki

Banned
I updated to 4.9 and now doom 3 wont load. Error with atioglxx.dll. :/

It loaded the first few times. Now, nothing.

Dilbert

I have a setup with an Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB. (Identical to BrandonF's setup, it seems...) Since my LCD monitor is natively 1280x1024, I try to run games at that resolution whenever possible. Do you think I'd have a better gaming experience running at lower resolution/higher detail (1024x768, High), or at higher resolution/lower detail (1280x1024, Medium)?

Also, are the Catalyst 4.9 betas a huge improvement, or would the official Catalyst 4.8s work just as well?

dark10x

Oh yes, is there anyway to enable a framerate lock? With Quake 1-3, you could enter a console command to limit the max FPS. I'd like to try locking this at 30 fps, just to see how it feels. The game really nevers drops below 30, so locking it would provide a completely constant framerate.

Anyone have any idea if there is a command like this in D3?

Thaedolus

hmm, the 4.9 drivers seem to help a little bit. V-Sync is as much a hinderance to performance as anything, though. I get better performance on High without V-Sync than low with V-Sync. If only there wasn't this tearing problem...

I bought this. I can barely run it. My specs-

1.7 ghz
Radeon 9800
646 MB RD RAM

I'm running at 640 res with medium quailty textures (Doesn't matter if I run with low, I get the same performance). The processor is just not powerful enough to run this game well. I'm just guestimating here, but I probably get around 10-15 fps on average.

Still, I really liked what I played of the game. I see what the critics are saying, the gameplay is nothing new. In fact its a step backward compared to games like Tribes. However, I don't think that's what this game is about. Instead, I think its about basic action and violence combined with amazing atmosphere. If you approach it in those terms, its not bad.

I really liked what I played. I'm going to wait till I upgrade to play it right though (High quality 1600X1200 with some kickass speakers and soundcard). For now, I'll probably only use it to play the Doom 95 version.

budala1

I think the game looks very good but diden't ID say that everything in the game is going cast shadows? dose anyone think that the beta looked better?

dark10x

budala1 said:
I think the game looks very good but diden't ID say that everything in the game is going cast shadows? dose anyone think that the beta looked better?

The beta had awful textures, though...

Gantz

Banned
I just bought the game today. It's saying I have cd emulation software installed and disable it before running the game. What gives? Do I have to uninstall all my cd burning programs?

ok where the hell is the guy that speaks to u in alpha sector2 that says he's locked himself in storage room c4 i canny find him

epmode

Gantz said:
I just bought the game today. It's saying I have cd emulation software installed and disable it before running the game. What gives? Do I have to uninstall all my cd burning programs?
i thought starforce wasn't on the disc.

wonderful. 50,000+ people download the cracked game before it's released, and legitimate purchasers are screwed by some (possibly illegal) copy protection.

edit: if you want the game to install, try uninstalling alcohol 120 and/or daemon tools.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone having trouble connecting to Multiplayer games?

YES!

It hung (interface) but the music continued. I figured it was Zone Alarm asking if I wanted to allow Doom3.exe to connect to the Internet. But because I can't toggle out of fullscreen, I couldn't see anything. Ended up having to reboot. Makes me not even want to try multiplayer now.

I have a setup with an Athlon 64 3200+, 1 GB RAM, and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB. (Identical to BrandonF's setup, it seems...) Since my LCD monitor is natively 1280x1024, I try to run games at that resolution whenever possible. Do you think I'd have a better gaming experience running at lower resolution/higher detail (1024x768, High), or at higher resolution/lower detail (1280x1024, Medium)?

You'll be fine at 1024. I too run at 1280x****. Game seems to run about the same. Keep in mind I kill shadows and don't use AA or AF. Pixel reponse time will make the game appear to be running slower than it is. I have a dual monitor setup, one LCD-one CRT running off a HD15 VDA (video dist. amplifier). I play on the LCD primarily, and when I glance over at the CRT, the game looks smooth as hell. Much more so than on the LCD.

dark10x said:
I actually don't agree anymore...

Before Doom 3 was released, I was playing a lot of Doom 2. While I had always been aware that Serious Sam and Painkiller were different, I didn't realize HOW different they were. Those games focus on LARGE, generally linear areas with tons of monsters to kill that just keep coming. Doom isn't like that at all. The level design in Doom is very different and (IMO) much better than any of those recent attempts at matching.
I agree 100%. I never understood the Serious Sam comparisons.

Haven't played Painkiller...

Pimpbaa

I'm pretty dissapointed with this game from a gameplay standpoint. I feel like a space engineer who is constantly being pestered by imps (they are way overused in the game) while trying to fix things. The levels are way too much the same. Feels like the worse parts of Halo (the repetitiveness), except in this case it's most of the game rather than just a few levels.

Technically, I'm not impressed either. Maybe if this came out last year I would have, but it's hard to be impressed after Far Cry and Riddicks graphics.

Before you all flame me, I was REALLY looking forward to this game. I have waited so long for this game, but to end up not liking it really sucks :(

Mrbob

Well, after fighting with my 5.1 system last night I finally got it to work and got in about 15 minutes of Doom 3 gameplaying time. Doom...story...does not compute...wtf... It was getting late so I don't even remember much of it. I'll start over tonight. Very odd feeling though with the game starting off with a story. Not bad. Just different. Doom with a story...damn.

Anyway, other 9800PRO users having luck with overclocking? I'm using the 4.9 betas, and get no artifacts with my 9800PRO overococked to 412core/365 memory (Stock 9800XT speed). I'm gonna try and bump it up more later tonight. No problem with overclocking so far.

siege

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I'm pretty dissapointed with this game from a gameplay standpoint. I feel like a space engineer who is constantly being pestered by imps (they are way overused in the game) while trying to fix things. The levels are way too much the same. Feels like the worse parts of Halo (the repetitiveness), except in this case it's most of the game rather than just a few levels.

Technically, I'm not impressed either. Maybe if this came out last year I would have, but it's hard to be impressed after Far Cry and Riddicks graphics.

Before you all flame me, I was REALLY looking forward to this game. I have waited so long for this game, but to end up not liking it really sucks :(

Your avatar saved me from flaming you. :D

Raddock

Apple Jax said:
Anyone having trouble connecting to Multiplayer games?

Yep! In about an hour of trying, I was only able to connect to 2 servers. The server filter only works half the time, and you can't sort by clicking on the column headers (like by ping) Once I connected, i stayed on there!

Also, I don't think people realize this. These servers are getting hammered, and with 2 to 4 players being what 95% of the servers are running, you have to realize that this is like 1/2-1/4 of what most game servers have previously run. So effectively there's 1/2-1/4 the server space available for the same number of people to connect to.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I play a little bit with the flashlight script in the pak000 file.

Look what i did first the HyperFlashlight ( intensity at 50 )
HyperFlashlight.jpg

then i tone down the intensity to 15
EFlashlight.jpg

then i change the light texture
ESquareFlashLight.jpg

and on special request i made a special flashlight ( tone down the intensity a little more at 3.0 )
Jordanlight.jpg

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Society said:
do you add a line for texture?

No in pak000.pk4 or the pak000 directory ( if you extracted it ) you go in the lights subdirectory and modify (make a backup copy first) flashlight2.tga and flashlight5.tga (black = no light, grey = some light, white = bright light ).

you take your favorite pic, resize it ( to fit the 256x256 limit ), change it to black/white.

et voila.

more fooling around

Pir8light.jpg

Pir8light2.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
LOL good stuff Society.

I am very proud to say that my girlfriend absolutely loves this game. Hell she's played atleast twice as much as I have so far.

John Carmack is absolutely 100% right with his Message Board statements.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Tenguman said:

I am extremely proud of Doom 3. I think it is the best game we have ever made, and it exceeded all of my expectations. That is a rather trite phrase, but it is literally true -- I had a good set of expectations for how the game would turn out based on the technologies that it was built on, and it wound up being just plain better than that.

We think a lot of people will like it.

I don't follow gaming message boards, because, at its best, entertainment is going to be a subjective thing that can't win for everyone, while at worst, a particular game just becomes a random symbol for petty tribal behavior. This slashdot story is about as close as I want to go...

Amidst all the various Doom ports and expansions, we are starting up on our next game. It will have a new rendering engine, which will be keeping me busy for a while, but the only other thing we are saying for now is that it won't be a sequel to any of our previous work. We have a really solid team that did a lot of maturing through Doom's development, so I have high hopes that it won't be another four year odyssey.

John Carmack

beep.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sorry I wasn't clear and thanks Society for quoting that again.

You have people like dark10x and border who have qualms with the game but present their problems with such logic and intelligence that it's mandatory reading and understanding even if you don't agree with them. Then you have other forums where people just bash the game for no reason other than they don't like the series/game or simply love Half Life 2. It gets to the point where it becomes a massive nuisance and sparks more stupidity, more of a problem then a comment about a problem.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
some more hacking

i change the flashlight a little more now it's not a ray of light (limited field of view,long range) but a point of light ( big field of view, little medium range)

without light
Without.jpg

with light
With.jpg

with the classic flashlight
Classic.jpg

Belfast

Pimpbaa said:

Welcome to Doom.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Thaedolus said:

ahh, my friend figured it out.
Man there's all different flavours of dumb in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom