• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Doom 3 Topic. (ALL POSTS ON THE GAME HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Question

When you do headshots to dead zombies, they disintegrate.

On any given level, bodies are everywhere... Would disintegrating all dead bodies boost performance at all? Not that the performace has been an issue for me, but the more frames, the better the control IMO, so every bit helps.

Would this make a difference?

Oni Jazar

I always just pop 'em with a flashlight regardless since they like to come alive every now and then. Gotta make sure they stay down.

btw were you able to use alt-enter?

Belfast

Drinky Crow said:
Belfast: Trevor is a made-up character used to add narrative to the review to make it, y'know, entertaining.

But, it wasn't entertaining. :( Rather it was just a sad man's attempt to look elite by using a figment of his imagination as a comparison point.

Edit: Also, Painkiller is not Doom. Yeah, I used to make that comparison to until I went back and played the original Doom games and then played Doom 3. They're only associated tangentally because they provide a stark contrast to the narrative-led FPS games which were popularized from Half-Life onward. Still, there are enough differences here and there that make them essentially different. Its like comparing Tetris and Tetris 2 or something. They use the same basic idea but take them in different directions in terms of game design. Painkiller/Serious Sam/etc. use large, action-filled setpieces with plenty of space to fuel their gameplay while Doom relies more on a semi-continuous stream of enemies in tight corridors and lots of hidden nooks an crannies to go looking for in order to find items or progress.

shibbs

Question!

Im trying to run Doom3 on this:

P4 1.6 Mhz
512 RAM
Ati radeon 7500

But it runs like crap, cant even walk properly. Is this normaal, my specs arent that bad right?

Belfast

They're certainly not ideal specs. Despite the fact that you aren't far off the minimum requirements, its really a *bad* idea to go off the minimum requirements for any PC game these days.

Pimpbaa

Belfast said:
Painkiller/Serious Sam/etc. use large, action-filled setpieces with plenty of space to fuel their gameplay while Doom relies more on a semi-continuous stream of enemies in tight corridors and lots of hidden nooks an crannies to go looking for in order to find items or progress.

Doom 1 and 2 had both. Tight corridors and large outdoor areas with countless enemies. That's what kept them interesting, because levels tended to be quite a bit different from one another. Rather than the same style designs over and over and over. Doom 3 is Quake 1 and 2, with better graphics and story.

Belfast

Huh? As I recall, Doom 1 and 2 were even more "same-looking" than Doom 3 is. It had some semi-open areas, but so does Doom 3 (it isn't often, but it does happen).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
shibbs said:
Question!

Im trying to run Doom3 on this:

P4 1.6 Mhz
512 RAM
Ati radeon 7500

But it runs like crap, cant even walk properly. Is this normaal, my specs arent that bad right?
It's the gfx card.

KarishBHR

Ok so I got it today with my new Radeon 9800pro (which is not an XT :p) Anyway, this game is amazign. I wont bore you all but I do have one important tip:

-MAP THE FLASHLIGHT TO RIGHT CLICK!!

This makes things sooo much better, you click right to bring the mouse up, if you click left you swing the mouse and if you click right again you go back to the gun mode

Pimpbaa

Belfast said:
Huh? As I recall, Doom 1 and 2 were even more "same-looking" than Doom 3 is. It had some semi-open areas, but so does Doom 3 (it isn't often, but it does happen).

They had some rather big open areas (not serious sam big, but huge for the time). The earlier doom1 levels looked similar, but the later levels in hell were rather imaginative. The style of most of doom 3 seems to be like a modern version of the first episode of doom 1.

border

Doom 3 is just like a crappier version of the earlier Doom games, without much thought put into level design. The earlier titles had "same" looking stages, but the architecture was actually pretty varied. I would say the originals had far more "open spaces" than Doom 3 as well.

Painkiller is admittedly different than Doom, I think. You are never really flipping switches or collecting keys or running through teleporters. Everytime you face a locked door or obstacle, the goal is to kill all the enemies in the area so that the door will magically open.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I thought Tom's review was pretty on-point, though I can't say I really enjoyed painkiller.

border

I can't blame anyone since it has been such a long time, but I think a lot of people have actually forgotten what the old Doom games were like. It seems that so many flaws are being excused by people saying "Durr, it's DOOM!" when a lot of the old elements have been completely thrown out.

No, it was not a constant corridor fest. You got out of the tight corridors quite frequently. No, it was not fighting only a few enemies at a time. The hordes never approached the size or relentlessness of Serious Sam or Painkiller, but they had no qualms about putting you up against 15-20 baddies at the same time. No, the architecture was not always this two dimensional. There were tons of elevated areas, tons of going up and down on mini-lifts, tons of enemies above and below you. The levels actually are kinda varied -- some are buildings, some are castles, some are city streets.....and much of your time is spent walking on platforms above the ever-present toxic waste.

I ran through Doom2 and took some pretty nice screenshots of the game, to show more of what it was like, in terms of enemy count, level variety, architecture.

doom2d.jpg

doom2f.jpg

doom2g.jpg

doom2h.jpg

doom2l.jpg

doom2n.jpg

doom2m.jpg

border

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Doomsday HQ is where you download the program that will run a 3D accelerated Doom 2 (or any other Doom game). You do not get a copy of Doom 2 with their program, you are going to have to find it somewhere else.

If you want the enemies to have 3D models instead of sprite models, you have to download the "Model Pack" add-on from Doomsday HQ. For some reason, I cannot get the Model Pack links to work using a web browser -- BUT if you login to the address with an FTP client then you can download.

Someone also re-textured EVERYTHING in Doom 2, and made a big set of high-res textures that it was possible to download. Unfortunately the link for that seems to be broken =(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i think i have the texture pack and stuff

but i don't like the look it because they made it grainy looking o_O

KarishBHR

Ok here are my specs:

Athlon XP 2800+
ATI 9800pro 128mb OCed to XT (with no problems in Doom 3)
512 PC2700 ram

Which tweaks should I use and how should I use them?

border

Ristamar said:
That sky texture is so 'purdy' that it seems out of place. It still looks decent today.
Well technically that is not the texture from the original game. I am running it with a special high-res texture pack. It's the same look as the original, but all textures have been redrawn with better resolution.

nubbe

The overall impression you get from these reviews and player feedback is that people who where expecting another “1994 Doom” are disappointed while those who didn’t except anything enjoy the game.

Doom 3 was never meant to be anything like the old doom anyway so comparing them is gobbledygook

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Border, I certainly haven't forgotten Doom as I just finished Doom 2 prior to playing Doom 3 (why not? It's very simple to blast through with a mouse and keyboard).

The older Doom games were nothing like Serious Sam/Painkiller...and really, they were different from Doom 3 as well. You had "sector" based levels. An example of a Doom level is pretty easy to come up with...

Let's say you start out the level and the exit is directly in front of you in the middle of something you can't reach. You might go hunting to find some place you can go and stumble upon a non-color coded door. Enter that door, fight enemies in specific sequences (say, fight first wave, go up stairs, get yellow key, walls drop, kill those enemies, make your way through more enemies back to main area...) and leave. Take that yellow key to the yellow door, and you are presented with another room that you must basically "complete" before moving on. Doom was often broken up into specific sections that required the player to perform a series of actions in order to proceed. This was actually quite enjoyable, though it can get rather tedious after a while. Serious Sam/Painkiller simply lock you into a single large area and force you to kill monsters for 10 minutes before proceeding to the next (via a linear path) area. Doom 3 is obviously not quite like that either...

border

I feel sorry for anybody that coughed up $500-1000 in hardware upgrades for what amounts to 15-20 hours mediocre-to-above-average single player mode (with zero replay value) and a totally thoughtless and threadbare multiplayer experience.

On the bright side, they can play more excellent titles like Thief 3 and FarCry -- if they weren't capable of running them before then I suppose that justifies some expensive upgrades.

Does Doom 3 have ragdoll physics? I played some today and after playing Painkiller, it was bit of a letdown seeing the enemies evaporate when you shoot them. :|

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
border said:
I feel sorry for anybody that coughed up $500-1000 in hardware upgrades for what amounts to 15-20 hours mediocre-to-above-average single player mode (with zero replay value) and a totally thoughtless and threadbare multiplayer experience.

On the bright side, they can play more excellent titles like Thief 3 and FarCry -- if they weren't capable of running them before then I suppose that justifies some expensive upgrades.

Ding.

I am slghtly disappointed in the game, but at least I didn't upgrade a thing for it. Whatever the case, now you can play some killer shit at a nice clip, and hell, HL2 is but a month away.

But, as Tre` pointed out last night in IRC, the best thing about running Doom 3 well is that you will be able to play all the games that spawn out of the engine well.

And uh... MAF... there's a sticky at the top as someone mentioned. ;p

IJoel

I'm having a great time playing it but 2 things bother me about it:

1. Dumb AI. Yes, Zombies should be dumb. I have no problem with that. But the whole behavior of the enemies knowing where you are (regardless of whether they see you or not) and just going straight for you kills it for me, as it seems SO VERY CHEAP. It's like the graphics technology made a leap forward and the AI, a leap backwards.

2. Lack of scary. After the initial 'shock' passed, I feel the game is not scary at all. All I'm noticing are just tons of missed opportunities for a true fright that never occur.

I sure hope the game proves me wrong and delivers through the rest I have yet to play.

IJoel

MaddenNFL64 said:
They're from hell. If they didn't see you without looking, i'd be disappointed :p.

Well, then why don't they teleport right in front of you and just blow you up to pieces? Walking is so 90s.

shpankey

not an idiot
Doom 3 is blowing my mind. I am absolutely LOVING it. One of the best games I've played on the PC in awhile. It just has this magic to it, the feel, the atmosphere, the control, the lighting, the monsters.. just everything about it. It is one of the few games in my life where it just has this "thing" about it that goes down to my core as a gamer. When it hits that certain magical spot in me that reinvigorates me about gaming.

Belfast

It has its problems, but I still enjoyed it. I dunno, I think this is one you still have to play for yourself to really figure out. I thought it was worth it, all I upgraded anyway was doubling my RAM, which goes a long way to running other games/apps anyway.

Edit: Yeah, System Shock 2 is better, though (*cries* no SS3)

Tenguman

I'm posting some screens cause i can ;) I think they came out great. This is only from a couple of rooms.

If doom3 seems way too dark, then maybe some of you need to properly calibrate your monitors

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Mrbob

Doom 3 is very good. Actually, for an ID single player experience, I think they did very well. I don't think too highly of the Quake series. Having said that, I'm glad I didn't go too insane with upgrading my computer before it came out. 2005 will be a good time to do a major upgrade before FEAR is released. 2005 PC GOTY.

Malakhov

Banned
Very much worth it, it was way better than what I expected, GOTY so far.

Also, why feel sad for people who upgraded their system for Doom III? I'm glad I did:

Half-Life 2
Call of Duty: United Offensive
Star Wars Battlefront
Brothers in Arms
Stalker
World of Warcraft
Everquest II

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wooo! I'm in full Doom mode, after Doom 3 I'm going to replay the original Doom games with all the models and texture upgrades!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TekunoRobby said:
Wooo! I'm in full Doom mode, after Doom 3 I'm going to replay the original Doom games with all the models and texture upgrades!

You should be able to blow through it VERY fast...

The Doom Guy runs faster than a lot of cars move in various racing games! :p

KarishBHR

Although High settings worked for me, I decided to use medium settings because I get ZERO hiccups and the game just plays better. Honestly, there is now real difference in the two from what I can see

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hey guys im having this problem

whenevre i go in the first door of the game it crashes and gives me a "VPU Error" whats that all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom