• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heading out to help my uncle set up for his election party tonight (Senator Jim Kastama, 25th District Washington State), everyone enjoy the festivities, it should be an interesting evening.

crumbs

1h15m in Grand Rapids, MI

It wasn't that crowded, about 70 people, but the all the volunteers were in their nineties and moving at the slowest pace possible.

belgurdo

Banned
Priz said:
Breaking news in the next hour or two - the Capture of Osama Bin Laden announced at some event by Bush.

:)

story.gif

<3 Keith Knight. His books make me glad I work in a library

belgurdo

Banned
Ecrofirt said:
Took me about 10 minutes.

It was my first time in a voting booth, and we have one of those big old green things where you have to push the levers down to fove for your candidate.

First I fucked it up, and nearly voted for the Libritarians. Then I tried pulling the party lever so my republican votes would go through ( the guy suggested I pull the party lever, and then manually change the votes to people of another party if I didn't want to vote straight party ticket), and the damn thing wouldn't budge.

I finally voted manually for everyone I wanted, but the party ticket lever not pulling really concerns me. I'm afraid I fucked somethnig up, and my vote for W didn't go through.

I bet all you dems would love that.

story.vert.cheney.ap.jpg

"DAMNIT, McClintock! I said put the slider in THE OTHER WAY so that people couldn't vote for DEMOCRATS! Is it that hard to rig a lever? Huh?"

3rdman

Jerome over at MyDD gets the big scoop on the 2 p.m. VNS NEP numbers:

AZ CO LA PA OH FL MI NM MN WI IA NH
Kerry 45 48 42 60 52 51 51 50 58 52 49 57
Bush 55 51 57 40 48 48 47 48 40 43 49 41
In 2000, the early numbers favored Bush. In 2002, exit polling was terribly innacurate. Exit polling also doesn't account for absentee and early ballots. And it's still early in the day. PA and MN will be much closer than these number indicate.

So please, please take with a giant grain of sand.

GOTV!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/11/2/14333/4849

This is VERY encouraging. I'm in Florida and it would make me proud if we could pull it out here! Still I'm cautiously optimistic. *fingers crossed*

aoi tsuki

My polling place was literally thirty seconds away. i got there fifteen minutes to eight, thinking they opened at eight, and that i could get in line before they opened, which was actually at six. Actual waiting time before getting to the voting booth was something like two hours.

If you're going to vote, or even if you're on the fence, i'd recommend going now. Things may've cooled off a little during lunchtime, but i'm sure they've picked up now with people probably taking off early from work.

If you're on the fence, go anyway. i'm not fully confident in the voting system, and i know my democratic vote doesn't matter here in NC, but i felt pretty good knowing that i did what i felt i needed to do, and that my opinion has been recorded. If you go an decide not to vote for whatever reason, at least you had the option. But if you don't go and decide you might actually want to vote, you run the risk of missing out until the next election. Depending on where you live, there's also the possibility of voter intimidation, especially the later you go to vote. The cops pulled a similar stunt here in my city when they changed the requirements for obtaining driver's licenses for immigrants. The posted cops at all the entrances to the DMV office on the last day, stopping minority drivers and checking ids, often times telling them to turn around. i'll probably drive by the polling station later this afternoon to see if they try something like that here.

Ecrofirt

I wouldn't be suprised if the lever was rigged.

this area has been known to have republican voter registration applications return to the new voter as democrat voter registration cards.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Drudge elaborates on the early exit polling:

Exit poll mania spread through media and campaign circles Tuesday afternoon after first wave of morning data showed Kerry competitive in key states.... National Election Pool -- representing six major news organization -- shows Kerry in striking distance -- with small 1% lead -- in Florida and Ohio, sources tell DRUDGE... [But early 2000 exit polls showed Gore +3 in Florida; showed Gore-Bush even in CO (Bush won by 9], exits showed Gore +4 in AZ [Bush won by 6]... Exits Senate races: Thune +4 Castor +3 Burr +6 Bunning +6 Coburn +6 Demint +4 Salazar +4...

3rdman

http://slate.msn.com/id/2109053/

Man this is tight! Posted at 12:51 PST...

Florida
Kerry 50
Bush 49

Ohio
Kerry 50
Bush 49

Pennsylvania
Kerry 54
Bush 45

Wisconsin
Kerry 51
Bush 46

Michigan
Kerry 51
Bush 47

Minnesota
Kerry 58
Bush 40

Nevada
Kerry 48
Bush 50

New Mexico
Kerry 50
Bush 48

North Carolina
Kerry 49
Bush 51

Colorado
Kerry 46
Bush 53

Other exit-poll results have arrived in more vague form, with Kerry leading Bush in New Hampshire but trailing him in Arizona and Louisiana.

I'm dying to see the exit polling from WV and VA. If NC is that close, VA and WV should be a dead heat in the same exit polling right now.

Dilbert

I'll make an attempt at starting a more interesting topic.

Has anyone today voted electronically? If so, what were your impressions of the machine?

And as a general question, is anyone else concerned about whether electronic voting will be abused in this election? If the results show up as "G30rg3 B|_|$h is teh WINNAR!!!1!!1!" then we'll know we've been had...but I doubt it would be that obvious.

3rdman

-jinx- said:

Has anyone today voted electronically? If so, what were your impressions of the machine?

And as a general question, is anyone else concerned about whether electronic voting will be abused in this election? If the results show up as "G30rg3 B|_|$h is teh WINNAR!!!1!!1!" then we'll know we've been had...but I doubt it would be that obvious.

I voted electronically...first time ever too and it was very smooth. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they were tabulating the data as I say no connections to the booths other than the power cords. Regardless, it went smooth and without incident. My only beef was NO PAPER RECEIPT. "Putting the fix" could be extremely easy...here's hoping.

God I wish I lived in North Carolina and not South Carolina. At least I'd feel like I was making a difference. Oh well, at least I voted for the abolishment of mini bottles in South Carolina.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Man, I need to go watch a movie or two to pass the time before real results start coming in.

I'm a bit curious if anyone voted against their family's preferred candidate, like if they have a family (immediate and extended) that is strongly supportive of one and you went and voted for the other. I know I did, and I can forsee some fun holiday discussions if I choose to participate and be honest, that is, if the guy I voted for wins. A lot of my family is pretty open, if not outspoken, about their preferences and I have a feeling I'll kinda be screwed and get some cold shoulders no matter what. If I don't chime in they'll assume I voted for the other guy, and if I do, well then it'd be obvious.

Not that I care of course, I just find it interesting and a more personal way of seeing how the country is so passionately divided.

xsarien

daedsiluap
3rdman said:
I voted electronically...first time ever too and it was very smooth. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they were tabulating the data as I say no connections to the booths other than the power cords. Regardless, it went smooth and without incident. My only beef was NO PAPER RECEIPT. "Putting the fix" could be extremely easy...here's hoping.

Everything's stored locally, and then the results from each machine are collected into one giant calculator (basically).

You should be happy that the only cord coming out of it was for electricity, God knows the shit that could be pulled if they were networked.

AirBrian

My county's polling devices were electronic. Very, very easy to use. Walked up, they verified my name and registration, handed me a "voter card", you have to stick it into the machine, you vote, then return the card to the polling official. I'm assuming the results are easily calculable from a "voter card" reader.

Oh, and everything was touch screen, very large, and you had to verify twice.

MIMIC

Banned
Yay for us black people! :D

Ohio - African American precincts are performing at 106% what we expected, based on historical numbers. Hispanic precincts are at 144% what we expected. Precincts that went for Gore are turning out 8% higher then those that went Bush in 2000. Democratic base precincts are performing 15% higher than GOP base precincts.

Florida - Dem base precincts are performing 14% better than Bush base precincts. In precincts that went for Gore, they are doing 6% better than those that went for Bush. African American precincts at 109%, Hispanic precincts at 106%.

Pennsylvania - African American precincts at 102% of expectations, Hispanics at 136% of expectations. The Gore precincts are doing 4 percent better than bush precincts.

Michigan - Democratic base precincts are 8% better than GOP base states. Gore precincts are 5% better than Bush.
Daily Kos

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Hater.

I think this one is different because it isn't discussing the issues it is just asking how long people were standing in line.

No offense, but everyone thinks their thread is different and not worthy of being locked. If the mods want to unilaterally ban a topic except for an official thread (like my "get out the vote by using Terry Tate" thread, in which I didn't say "election" IIRC), then such a ban should apply to ALL threads that violate it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ecrofirt said:
I wouldn't be suprised if the lever was rigged.

this area has been known to have republican voter registration applications return to the new voter as democrat voter registration cards.

You know that party alliance has no bearing on who you can vote for, right? If anything, it's just a minor inconvenience. Shady, but just an inconvenience.

Willco

Hollywood Square
My mother and her fiance are very pro Bush. Both are Republicans.

My father and my stepmom are voting for Kerry, but they're not that thrilled as registered Democrats.

I'm a registered Republican who voted Democratic across the board, but I live with my father. However, I live within a football field length of my mother's house that I frequent all the time.

It's all very strange.

I remember when I turned 18 and registered as a Republican, I think my mom did a happy dance over the phone, like she had won some victory against my father.

MIMIC said:
You mean Colorado.
I'm thinking there's still a lesson to be learned here from siamesedreamer...

Anyway, back to the electronic voting machines topic: was any kind of justification given for them not having a paper trail?

Ecrofirt

We can't vote outside of our party for the primary.

Certainly screws things up a bit when you can't vote for someone in the party you originally signed up to be in.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
From Drudge:

FLASH: Scare TIME/CNN building in NYC, suspicious package closes down portion 6th Avenue... Man on ground, police on top of him -- witness... Bomb squad remove large package / suitcase Tue Nov 02 2004 16:03:25 ET...

Dan said:
Man, I need to go watch a movie or two to pass the time before real results start coming in.

I'm a bit curious if anyone voted against their family's preferred candidate, like if they have a family (immediate and extended) that is strongly supportive of one and you went and voted for the other. I know I did, and I can forsee some fun holiday discussions if I choose to participate and be honest, that is, if the guy I voted for wins. A lot of my family is pretty open, if not outspoken, about their preferences and I have a feeling I'll kinda be screwed and get some cold shoulders no matter what. If I don't chime in they'll assume I voted for the other guy, and if I do, well then it'd be obvious.

Not that I care of course, I just find it interesting and a more personal way of seeing how the country is so passionately divided.

My father, mother, and brother are extremely pro-Bush. Quite simply, they're fanatics, and they cannot believe I've "turned coats" and switched camps to Kerry. Everyday I stop by the house the discussions are heated and lively.

impirius

-jinx- said:

I used an electronic voting machine (iVotronics?) in Cherokee County, SC, and it was a very straightforward process. I do hate the lack of a paper record, though.

And yeah, I don't even drink, but the minibottles thing is ridiculous. I'll be glad to see it go. Can we ditch blue laws next?

fart

Savant
the crypto group here recently published a paper on how terrible currently available voting machines here are.

they suck.

i don't care how convenient they are for you or how secure they make you feel

they suck.

disenfranchisement and voting fraud are both big big deals

If Kerry wins, which I'm at least 80% certain he will, my faith in humanity will have been restored. (I'm betting that his victory will be outside the margin of litigation and that we will find out tonight.)

Then I'll look and see that Thune, DeMint, and Coburn (and probably Specter, though he's not as much of a douche as the others) have won their Senate races, and that all 11 of the anti-gay amendments have passed, and it'll be lost again.

-jinx- said:
OMG I NEED MY POLLING DATA! CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT REALTIME UPDATES!!!!!!!!!

So, uh, hey guys. Who's winning?

Um, we do real time updates for sporting events, why not the ELECTION? Jesus. We've had 6+ months on this forum to debate the issues, and for the most part, it's gone rather smoothly. Now, it's election and polling day.

impirius said:
I used an electronic voting machine (iVotronics?) in Cherokee County, SC, and it was a very straightforward process. I do hate the lack of a paper record, though.

And yeah, I don't even drink, but the minibottles thing is ridiculous. I'll be glad to see it go. Can we ditch blue laws next?

I used a touch screen as well. And I wouldn't hold my breath on the blue laws, they're gonna be here for a while.

etiolate

Banned
Polling data is just another way to influence votes. I wish all results were blacked out till all the polls have closed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
etiolate said:
Polling data is just another way to influence votes. I wish all results were blacked out till all the polls have closed.

These are just exit polls. No states will be called until their respective polls actually close.

Dilbert

siamesedreamer said:
Yep, considering that I copy that line directly from the site, looks like they corrected a mistake.
You can't even be bothered to type a single line of original text? Or even perform the most perfunctory internal fact-checking on a quote which didn't seem right?

You, sir, are an intellectual giant. I applaud you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom