• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

robochimp said:
He was responding to your statment about the preident whomever they are not affecting peoples lives. You started the argument dont deflect it

No. My point was that ONE President won't affect people's lives more or less than ONE other President. In that regard, my reply was absolutely in line with my argument.

akascream

Banned
Pretty sad when you can't even do better than Al Gore, and after all this Iraq business too. I said all along Kerry should have made the economy his primary platform. Exit poll data even confirmed that.. but heh, I'm not sure I feel safe using exit polls to back my arguments after last night.

Sysgen

I consider myself an independent and vote with what makes sense not by party. Said that, I tune past the Limbaugh and Hanity shows everyday and always ask myself who listens to this propaganda. Last night I found out more people than I thought. It's ironic that these hosts always talk about people drinking the Democrat koolade. My feeling is that there is way more Republican koolade out there. How this guy gets voted back in after the gross mismanagement that he's exhibited over the last four years can only be attributed to one thing. Koolade.

Seth C

Do The Mario said:
Two wrongs make a right?

How childish

Can I remind you that we are discussing the war on terror not some other conflict, this was potentially the most unnecessary war in history.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but when you have to have one "wrong" in the office making decisions either way....

Well, in that case it just doesn't make one hell of a lot of difference.

Azih

Kinda sorta, negatives count way more than positives in this case olimario. It's pretty extreme for anybody not to go "we offer congratulations to the winner, am certain will have great relationship".

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but when you have to have one "wrong" in the office making decisions either way....

Well, in that case it just doesn't make one hell of a lot of difference."

You are very narrow mined, to understand what the rest of the world currently thinks of America you should take a vacation.

Like someone previously stated the only positive about having bush for 4 more years is all the great material he gives comedians.

Just what the head of the worlds hegemonic power should be a jester

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I imagine posting any positive comments for either side is going to get me needlessly ripped apart, right?

In lieu of that, I'm looking foward to Half Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, and Halo 2!

Miguel

JetSetHero said:
Don't want to see the truth? Fucking deal with it, because that's what voting for Bush in the first place caused. Now he's got permission to carry on :)

Fucking deal with it? This isn't Something-Awful or some other site where anything flies.

Sysgen

akascream said:
Pretty sad when you can't even do better than Al Gore, and after all this Iraq business too. I said all along Kerry should have made the economy his primary platform. Exit poll data even confirmed that.. but heh, I'm not sure I feel safe using exit polls to back my arguments after last night.

I find it hysterical that your hanging your hat on the popular vote. The popular vote doesn't count... remember. Your guy lost it last time. Bush won becuase he won Ohio by hundred thousand or so votes. Great mandate. Crow in hell.

Seth C

Do The Mario said:
You are very narrow mined, to understand what the rest of the world currently thinks of America you should take a vacation.

Like someone previously stated the only positive about having bush for 4 more years is all the great material he gives comedians.

Just what the head of the worlds hegemonic power should be a jester

I'm sorry, I don't vote for President of my country based on what the rest of the world thinks. Yes, at some point you have to take care of your own. Narrow minded? How about realistic. It's not like your anti-Bush stance doesn't center around what you think is best for YOU, when it really comes down to it.

Zilch

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
I imagine posting any positive comments for either side is going to get me needlessly ripped apart, right?

In lieu of that, I'm looking foward to Half Life 2, Metroid Prime 2, and Halo 2!

DUDE I HEARD THAT BUSH IS GOING TO OUTLAW ALL M-RATED GAMES BETTER LEAVE TEH COUNTRY LOLLOL

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Seth C said:
You don't care about the internet? IT is what GAVE YOU lower poverty and income during Clinton's administration, not Clinton. It's gone now. That isn't Bush's fault.
You're attributing an entire economic boom to the Internet?

Good Christ.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Zilch said:
DUDE I HEARD THAT BUSH IS GOING TO OUTLAW ALL M-RATED GAMES BETTER LEAVE TEH COUNTRY LOLLOL
FUCK I'M MOVING TO JAPAN, I HEAR SEXY BEACH 3 IS COMING OUT SOON! RIGHT RIGHT? LOLLERSKATES

Edit: Holy fucking shit it really is coming out soon and it's a real game! Rofl I thought it was some forum joke.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Seth C said:
I'm sorry, I don't vote for President of my country based on what the rest of the world thinks. Yes, at some point you have to take care of your own. Narrow minded? How about realistic. It's not like your anti-Bush stance doesn't center around what you think is best for YOU, when it really comes down to it.

Take care of your own?

- Sky high world oil prices
- High unemployment
- Over a thousand dead soldiers
- Sub standard health and welfare systems
- America is a bigger Terrorist target then ever before
- Loss of respect in the international community

How exactly is voting bush taking care of your own?

His domestic record is as bad as his foreign policy.

akascream

Banned
I find it hysterical that your hanging your hat on the popular vote.

269 Bush
242 Kerry

Even if Kerry gets every electoral vote left it boils down to a vote, and guess who's gonna win that one genius. I find it hysterical that 'your' hanging your hate on hope.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Seth C said:
I'm sorry, I don't vote for President of my country based on what the rest of the world thinks.

That's too bad, being the most powerful country in the world, our politics do have repercussions beyond our borders. Not taking that into account when you vote - especially when we have a President who knee-jerks into war, is selfish at best, and hypocritical at worst. This President has done nothing but divide people and countries, how can that possibly be a good thing?

akascream said:
269 Bush
242 Kerry

Even if Kerry gets every electoral vote left it boils down to a vote, and guess who's gonna win that one genius. I find it hysterical that 'your' hanging your hate on hope.

It's 254/252 right now. Also, Bush has been hanging his hat on "hope" for the past four years, it seems to be how he plans on paying for all of his spending seeing as how he loves his tax cuts so much.

I, for one, am not going to calm down for a while. The upsetting thing isn't that Bush was re-elected and the Repubican party made gains in the house and senate. It's that the people in this country stand behind the Republican party and the direction it is moving in more now than they did four years ago despite everything that's happened.

To have faith in democracy you have to have faith in the people of the democracy and I can't say I do at this point. Hell, I don't even have faith in my own family. The margin of victory for the same-sex marriage ban ballot measures makes me physically ill.

akascream

Banned
I'm sorry, I don't vote for President of my country based on what the rest of the world thinks.

I agree. It's amazing to me how engulfed they are in us too. Sure, we effect things around the world, but they really think they have a say in our politics. It's rather amusing.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Miguel said:
Fucking deal with it? This isn't Something-Awful or some other site where anything flies.
How else will the American people learn about the consequences of their choice? US media has proven far too forgiving.

Seth C

Oh, and folks, let's all be honest about this, Bush won this election for a very simple reason. He won because the Democrats couldn't provide someone that the nation saw as being any better. At best, this country was content with Bush. His approval rating shows that. No one was so thrilled with him that they were just dying to re-elect him. Given that situation, all that the Democrats had to was present a candidate that people thought would be appreciably better than Bush. When you're running against the incumbent, unless he is hated, you simply have to do that.

Had the Democrats accomplished this I would have loved to vote for someone that I thought would in some way be better, as would many others. This country has been resided over by mediocre Presidents for far too long. Yes, that will continue under Bush, but frankly, I wouldn't have expected more from Kerry, and that, in the end, was the problem.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Miguel said:

ANYTHING?? The repercussion of the choice 51% of America has just made. DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND THIS SITUATION???

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Seth C said:
And you're comparing one eight year term to one four year term? You think that proves anything at all? Please. That was entirely my point, and the point was completely brushed off by you. You don't care about the internet? IT is what GAVE YOU lower poverty and income during Clinton's administration, not Clinton. It's gone now. That isn't Bush's fault.

WTF? You credit the internet boom with effecting the nationwide povery levels? Are you daft? Do you honestly think that the internet boom has ANYTHING to do with rising or falling poverty levels in the urban, depressed, poor areas of major cities?

Over the long-term one President, one cabinet, one four year term, will not make a significant impact on your life, my life, or the lives of the vast majority of Americans.
Continuing to recite this mantra doesn't make it true.

You will always believe that things would have been better under Kerry than they will be under Bush, no matter what the next four years hold. You'll believe that because things were good under Clinton, and hey, Kerry is a Democrat like Clinton, so it makes sense, right? You'll believe it because that's almost all you, I, or most others our age have known. That doesn't make any of it true.
Don't tell me what the hell I'll believe... if the economy improves in the next four years, in the healthcare costs come down, if povery goes down I'll be one of the FIRST people to say Bush did much better in his 2nd term than his piece of shit first term.

akascream said:
I agree. It's amazing to me how engulfed they are in us too. Sure, we effect things around the world, but they really think they have a say in our politics. It's rather amusing.

holy shit pot calling kettle black.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
akascream said:
Sure, we effect things around the world, but they really think they have a say in our politics.
Not really different from how Americans think about the rest of the world.

Cimarron

Damn! =( The people have spoken and they are STUPID! I guess my happy ass will be taking an expected trip to the Middle East. At least I still have Halo 2 to keep me warm at night. *Hugs his pre-order slip*

Slo

cubicle47b said:
I, for one, am not going to calm down for a while. The upsetting thing isn't that Bush was re-elected and the Repubican party made gains in the house and senate. It's that the people in this country stand behind the Republican party and the direction it is moving in more now than they did four years ago despite everything that's happened.

To have faith in democracy you have to have faith in the people of the democracy and I can't say I do at this point. Hell, I don't even have faith in my own family. The margin of victory for the same-sex marriage ban ballot measures makes me physically ill.

I completely agree.

Slo said:
I'm disappointed that Bush was elected, but what I'm most disappointed in is the fact that states voted the same way that they voted in 2000, with very few exceptions. Democratic states voted Dem, and Rednec....err Republican states voted Republican. We as a country have had a lot of shit happen to us in the last 4 years, we should not be exactly the same people as we were then. We were attacked, we went to war, our economy went to shit, the whole gay marriage thing. I just can't believe that the pot wasn't stirred at all. You mean to tell me that 9/11 didn't convert anybody in Cali to the Republican side? And the general shitty state of the economy didn't piss off anyone in the bible belt? To me that says that people aren't paying attention, and they aren't using their minds.

I'm upset about:

The deficit
The environment (which seems to get ignored, and we all suffer for it)
The economy-- although more for the future than the present
The war in Iraq
The loss of world influence outside of military force (which will cost us plenty, whether people realize it or not)

I do care what the world thinks of us, but only so much as it affects us directly. Which is "considerably."

I expect in 4 years for our economy to be in even worse shape, for us still to be heavily involved in Iraq with a growing number of casualties and no end in sight, and increase instability in the region.

Slo said:
I'm disappointed that Bush was elected, but what I'm most disappointed in is the fact that states voted the same way that they voted in 2000, with very few exceptions. Democratic states voted Dem, and Rednec....err Republican states voted Republican. We as a country have had a lot of shit happen to us in the last 4 years, we should not be exactly the same people as we were then. We were attacked, we went to war, our economy went to shit, the whole gay marriage thing. I just can't believe that the pot wasn't stirred at all. You mean to tell me that 9/11 didn't convert anybody in Cali to the Republican side? And the general shitty state of the economy didn't piss off anyone in the bible belt? To me that says that people aren't paying attention, and they aren't using their minds. :mad:

Fear is a terrific motivator. Terrorism is a relatively faceless thing that can strike at any time. That scares the shit outta people. So much so, that it somehow becomes more of an issue than the shit that actually is holding them down between big scares...like the economy, the state of education, the freedoms and rights of just being a fucking human being, etc. It's something that is important to focus on, but not the most important thing...and, really, there are enough 'built-in functions' of the government that it can run pretty well by itself. Bush's administration is all about putting the 'war on terror' way in front of more pressing issues that will have longer-lasting, more widespread effects on the people who they supposedly serve.

Spainkiller

Miguel said:
You all realize I'm talking about the pic he posted...not what he said...right?

The picture of the dead kid? The little girl who's missing hte back of her skull because Iraq had... fuck all to do with 9/11? That picture? The one that represents what is to come for the next 4 years at least, because Bush knows he can get away with it?

YEAH LETS TAKE IT DOWN AND TALK ABOUT BAKSETBALL. WOOO GO USA!!

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
ROFL you are out of touch with international politics.

It is significantly beneficial for Australia if Bush gets elected, as I said our PM is very close to bush his son worked on the bush campaign.

So NO I did not want the candidate that was most beneficial for myself to win I wanted the man responsible for atrocities in Iraq to no longer hold the top office in the world.

Americans that don’t understand that there country is the world hegemonic power (yeah go get a fuckin dictionary) are being narrow minded. How can you not vote on foreign policy especially when your country killed over ten thousand Iraqi’s?

cubicle47b said:
The margin of victory for the same-sex marriage ban ballot measures makes me physically ill.

Me too. I can be somewhat conservative on fiscal issues (there are no fiscal conservatives left in government) but I am all the way left on this one, and I don't see it as an arguable point. And yet 11 states' majorities disagree with me. I feel ill. What happened to the values of inclusion and acceptance that made this country great? I thought we were a melting pot, not a land of Christian intolerance.

Seth C

Okay, question. High unemployment compared to WHEN? Clinton's term? Yes. The history of the US? Not a chance. Yes, things were good under Clinton, and they were better than normal. Abnormally good, in fact. Right now we are coming back to "normal" in regard to unemplyment, more than anything else.

TekunoRobby said:

Only good reason to be happy about this month.

I'll just say, I hope Bush takes a little bit more time out to read memos that involve terroism.

Miguel

JetSetHero said:
The picture of the dead kid? The little girl who's missing hte back of her skull because Iraq had... fuck all to do with 9/11? That picture? The one that represents what is to come for the next 4 years at least, because Bush knows he can get away with it?

Thank you Will Federman.

Now without resorting to breaking your capslock key...I don't have a problem with what you're trying to say....but that pic does not belong on this forum. You can make your point just as well without having to resort to crap like that.

xsarien

daedsiluap
akascream said:
Interesting. So where would you scale Saddam, or Osama on your moral chart? Terrorism in general?

I tend to file it under 'evil'.

I tend to file Osama much higher than Saddam on the "Danger to the United States" scale. "Evil" is relative, to many people in the middle east who'd die happy if they'd never see another US solider for the rest of their lives, we're "evil." People who refuse to acknowledge that, and refuse to address it, shouldn't be in power.

Zilch

Banned
JetSetHero said:

story.queen.jpg

Spainkiller

Miguel said:
Thank you Will Federman.

Now without resorting to breaking your capslock key...I don't have a problem with what you're trying to say....but that pic does not belong on this forum. You can make your point just as well without having to resort to crap like that.

I don't have time to write 1000 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom