• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL ELECTION THREAD MEANS ALL ELECTION-RELATED STUFF GOES IN HERE, DUR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
akascream said:
I agree. It's amazing to me how engulfed they are in us too. Sure, we effect things around the world, but they really think they have a say in our politics. It's rather amusing.

Just like how America is involved with Iraqi or Afghan politics?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Seth C said:
Okay, question. High unemployment compared to WHEN? Clinton's term? Yes. The history of the US? Not a chance. Yes, things were good under Clinton, and they were better than normal. Abnormally good, in fact. Right now we are coming back to "normal" in regard to unemplyment, more than anything else.

Link. Link to showing that things were abnormally good. Link to showing that in this groups lifetime that only during the clinton era were unemployment levels this low.

And your response to growing poverty levels? Unemployement and poverty while linked are not the same thing as you of course know.

akascream

Banned
I tend to file Osama much higher than Saddam on the "Danger to the United States" scale. "Evil" is relative, to many people in the middle east who'd die happy if they'd never see another US solider for the rest of their lives, we're "evil."

I see pics of many children hanging out with US soldiers. They feel safer and I feel good about that. Don't you see?.. you are so caught up in your political affiliation that you can't admit a good thing when you see it. Are you really taking the side of some terrorists.. evil men that film beheadings?

Just like how America is involved with Iraqi or Afghan politics?

Except our influence extends beyond a couple media reports and misplaced forum participation.

Miguel

Then you obviously don't have time to be posting in a political thread and trying to prove a point with a picture that would have gotten many others banned. I don't know who edited your post, and maybe I just happened to come into the thread in the 5-10 seconds the pic was up...but I've seen others get booted for less than that.

I'm not here to debate politics, which is why I just read the thread rather than post in it and just rile others up. But something like that just can't fly here. Maybe it flies on another forum, but not here.

DarienA

I tend to file Osama much higher than Saddam on the "Danger to the United States" scale.

Bush did too... he told us so... but then all the sudden he didn't consider him higher anymore.

I still haven't found an explanation for what the hell happened there...

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
If you want to be shunned and ostracized by all the super intelligent, better than thou, angostic elitists that run and infest the universities and colleges of this country.

maybe if you guys voted for someone with half a brain maybe you would get more respect. I had no problem with reagan, i voted for guilliani and bloomberg. I vote the the man not the party. You guys seem to run blindly like lemmings to this man, who has done nothing but hurt this country. Ona side note, funny how both places that got on 9/11 voted for kerry by a landslide.

The whole thing just boggles my mind. I just cant understand how people could back Bush. Yes, there's terrror. There always has been. That doesn't phase me.

So we we have the economy, large working poor, middle class getting the shaft. Hey thats great I guess, more incentive to get rich I guess.

Hey, lets all talk about jesus and impose religious values on our laws, thats cool i guess too cause hey, I should really start thinking what some fucks in some bible belt state think, cause they know so damned much about the world.

You know what? 51% of america is largely stupid. Thanks again.

West coast needs to turn into its own country before:

escapefromla.jpg

akascream said:
269 Bush
242 Kerry

Even if Kerry gets every electoral vote left it boils down to a vote, and guess who's gonna win that one genius. I find it hysterical that 'your' hanging your hate on hope.

I figured Bush would win. The anti-christ cannot lose. It is his time

xsarien

daedsiluap
akascream said:
I see pics of many children hanging out with US soldiers. They feel safer and I feel good about that. Don't you see?..

I see that when Bush outlined his reasons for going into Iraq in the first place, it was a blatant lie. Don't you see? If Bush is so intent on freeing people, there are plenty of other countries that should've gotten priority over Iraq. How come we didn't go into the Sudan with the same fervor as we did Iraq? Isn't demonstrating to the world that we won't tolerate genocide a better deterrant to our "image problem" than destabliizing the mideast just to flex your military muscles?

This has nothing to do with political affiliation, or blind faith to some DNC mantra. I pride myself on being an independent, a very socially progressive one. That being my leaning, Bush has completely alienated me on those grounds alone, his myopic, selfish, and "my way or the highway" foreign policy really just add fuel to my already intense fire.

xsarien said:
I see that when Bush outlined his reasons for going into Iraq in the first place, it was a blatant lie. Don't you see? If Bush is so intent on freeing people, there are plenty of other countries that should've gotten priority over Iraq.

Yeah, but those places don't have a pussy dictator and lots of oil.

Iceman

"if the economy improves in the next four years, in the healthcare costs come down, if povery goes down I'll be one of the FIRST people to say Bush did much better in his 2nd term than his piece of shit first term."

But this will mean that Bush did well with the economy in his first term NOT his second term. It would just mean that he didn't do anything to place in hazard the policies instituted in his first term to infuse life into the economy.

Edit: Yeah, we're just swimming in oil right now.. our Iraq scheme worked and that's why our oil prices are so cheap and our economy is going like gangbusters right?

MrAngryFace said:
The whole thing just boggles my mind. I just cant understand how people could back Bush. Yes, there's terrror. There always has been. That doesn't phase me.

So we we have the economy, large working poor, middle class getting the shaft. Hey thats great I guess, more incentive to get rich I guess.

Hey, lets all talk about jesus and impose religious values on our laws, thats cool i guess too cause hey, I should really start thinking what some fucks in some bible belt state think, cause they know so damned much about the world.

You know what? 51% of america is largely stupid. Thanks again.

West coast needs to turn into its own country before:

escapefromla.jpg

All I can really say is... IAWTP

akascream

Banned
I see that when Bush outlined his reasons for going into Iraq in the first place, it was a blatant lie.

Bush made some stupid mistakes.. including putting all his eggs in one WMD basket. I believe he did not lie, but was misinformed. Even if he was the lying, war hungry hick you guys make him out to be, why would he set himself up for such a huge backlash? And there are plenty of reasons going to Iraq was a positive move, not the least of which were the people living in fear. Get over the WMD's already.

As far as Osama is concerned, I agree we need to continue to track him down.

Indeed. Why should such an evil dictator own such an important world-wide resource. Again, the biggest and the strongest.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Hah i love this logic.. The Economy under clinton did well because of bush sr policy and the boom in the market. 9/11 and the shitty economy happened because of clintons soft stance on terrorism and his recession. Yet bush will reap the benefits of his tax cuts and republican congress...cool how you can have it both ways.

Doc Holliday said:
maybe if you guys voted for someone with half a brain maybe you would get more respect. I had no problem with reagan, i voted for guilliani and bloomberg. I vote the the man not the party. You guys seem to run blindly like lemmings to this man, who has done nothing but hurt this country. Ona side note, funny how both places that got on 9/11 voted for kerry by a landslide.

Yeah, you would think New Yorkers would have been singing and dancing at the oppurtunity vote for Bush.

Republicans are like Dung Beatles, blind and full of shit. :)

akascream said:
I see pics of many children hanging out with US soldiers. They feel safer and I feel good about that. Don't you see?.. you are so caught up in your political affiliation that you can't admit a good thing when you see it. Are you really taking the side of some terrorists.. evil men that film beheadings?

I read simple comments like this on this forum sometimes, and my first instinct is to laugh. But then I realize there are adults who think this way, and it makes me want to weep.

akascream

Banned
Hah i love this logic...Clinton economy under clinton did well because of bush sr policy and the boom in the market. 9/11 and the shitty economy happened because of clintons soft stance on terrorism and his recession. Yet bush will reap the benefits of his tax cuts and republican congress...cool how you can have it both ways.

Hehe, thats a two way street though.

Personally, I tend to think the people that own businesses, and thier hard working employees have something to do with the economy, but politics is all bullshit anyway. :p

I read simple comments like this on this forum sometimes, and my first instinct is to laugh. But then I realize there are adults who think this way, and it makes me want to weep.

I read simple retorts like this on this forum sometimes, and my first instinct is to laugh. But then I realize there are adults who can't formulate an argument and it makes me cry.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Guileless said:
Where, and why?

Have you not picked up a newspaper in the last four years? You want to talk about shit-your-pants-oh-we're-in-trouble problems in the world? Let's see, the Iranians chanting "Death to America" as they passed their resolutions to start up nuclear development for "energy;" Kim Jong-Il is starving his people, definitely has weapons of mass destruction that could theoretically hit the US west coast, and Bush refuses to even talk with him directly; there's confirmed genocide in the Sudan right now, our troops would be much more effective there. We are accused of being largely hypocritical, of being a nation that cares only about itself. Helping to stop the killing there would go a long way to make some rethink that.

But I guess dealing with Saddam and his Sisyphian dick-waving with Iran was more important.

Sysgen

akascream said:
Bush made some stupid mistakes.. including putting all his eggs in one WMD basket. I believe he did not lie, but was misinformed. Even if he was the lying, war hungry hick you guys make him out to be, why would he set himself up for such a huge backlash? And there are plenty of reasons going to Iraq was a positive move, not the least of which were the people living in fear. Get over the WMD's already.

As far as Osama is concerned, I agree we need to continue to track him down.

Indeed. Why should such an evil dictator own such an important world-wide resource. Again, the biggest and the strongest.

THE COUNTRY WAS NOT UNDER IMMEADIATE DANGER. THERE ARE NO POSITIVE REASONS. JESUS CHRIST.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
akascream said:

Except our influence extends beyond a couple media reports and misplaced forum participation.

I would have to be one of the most informed people posting in this thread; I do international politics at university as a double degree with biology.

So my knowledge extends far beyond a few news reports and message board posting.

Iceman said:
Yeah, we're just swimming in oil right now.. our Iraq scheme worked and that's why our oil prices are so cheap and our economy is going like gangbusters right?

I'm not the genius who came up with that plan. Blame the jokers who thought it was a good idea. I mean, I wasn't in favor of spending billions and billions of dollars on something that will cost us billions and billions of dollars more to deal with. And, for what it's worth, we have more than enough domestic oil to kick the foreign oil habit that costs us far too much. Oh wait, Bush is rich and doesn't give a shit about that...not with his business and familial connections to foreign oil....

akascream said:
Hehe, thats a two way street though.

Personally, I tend to think the people that own businesses, and thier hard working employees have something to do with the economy, but politics is all bullshit anyway. :p

I read simple retorts like this on this forum sometimes, and my first instinct is to laugh. But then I realize there are adults who can't formulate an argument and it makes me cry.

Do you HONESTLY believe the people who were and are against this war are so JUST because they don't like Bush?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Well in thirty years when china is the world’s new hegemonic power feels the need to disarm America will you bush supporters welcome you’re new masters?

I swear, I feel awfully sick to my stomach right now. I don't know how I am going to cope with this. Sure the thought of Bush before sickened me, but to know that piece of crap got reelected really has me losing faith and fearing the direction we are heading.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
MightyHedgehog said:

If you think gassing villages and filling mass graves with your opponents is indicative of being a pussy I'd hate to know what it takes to be a hardass.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
akascream said:
"what's that? no WMDs? Not an immediate threat? No link to 9/11? No proof of any original justification for going to war?..."

hlovejoy.gif

"The Children! Won't somebody please think of the CHILDREN!"

Seth C

DarienA said:
Link. Link to showing that things were abnormally good. Link to showing that in this groups lifetime that only during the clinton era were unemployment levels this low.

And your response to growing poverty levels? Unemployement and poverty while linked are not the same thing as you of course know.

Unemployment rates for November (since it's election month and I can't fit the whole list), over the last 35 or so years...

1969 - 3.5
1970 - 5.9
1971 - 6.0
1972 - 5.3
1973 - 4.8
1974 - 6.6
1975 - 8.3
1976 - 7.8
1977 - 6.8
1978 - 5.9
1979 - 5.9
1980 - 7.5
1981 - 7.9
1982 - 10.8
1983 - 8.5
1984 - 7.2
1985 - 7.0
1986 - 6.9
1987 - 5.8
1988 - 5.3
1989 - 5.4
1990 - 6.2
1991 - 7.0
1992 - 7.4
1993 - 6.6
1994 - 5.6
1995 - 5.6
1996 - 5.4
1997 - 4.6
1998 - 4.4
1999 - 4.1
2000 - 3.9
2001 - 5.6
2002 - 5.9
2003 - 5.9

As of September, this year? 5.4%

So, unless you're 40 or older, you've never seen lower unemplyment than you did under Clinton. It was abnormally low during his term. In fact, unemplyment under Bush is still a fair bit lower than the 35 year average of 6.24%.

DarienA

Iceman said:
"if the economy improves in the next four years, in the healthcare costs come down, if povery goes down I'll be one of the FIRST people to say Bush did much better in his 2nd term than his piece of shit first term."

But this will mean that Bush did well with the economy in his first term NOT his second term. It would just mean that he didn't do anything to place in hazard the policies instituted in his first term to infuse life into the economy.

Edit: Yeah, we're just swimming in oil right now.. our Iraq scheme worked and that's why our oil prices are so cheap and our economy is going like gangbusters right?

Then I guess we'll see... and as for the oil comment.... hey it's a two term deal right? So we won't see the advantages of taking control of the Iraqi oil til next term... right?

EDIT:
As of September, this year? 5.4%

So, unless you're 40 or older, you've never seen lower unemplyment than you did under Clinton. It was abnormally low during his term. In fact, unemplyment under Bush is still a fair bit lower than the 35 year average of 6.24%.

I just found that data at the BLS site, thanks. I have a question that I need to do some research on but my first question is why are the #'s during Clinton's term considered abnormal and what are they attributed to?

Matlock

Banned
Meier said:
Every time you bring up this bullshit about gays being deported blah blah, you just look like an idiot.

Good, 'cause that's the only time I ever had, by your myopic line of thinking.

blah blah blah NINTENDO AREN'T DOOMED I PLAY XBOX LOL

Riiiight.

SethC

You do realize that's because people are losing unemployment benefits/unemployed status, don't you?

Iceman

sorry MAF but I can't let these go:

"Yes, there's terrror. There always has been. That doesn't phase me."

no. there hasn't always been terror.. not in this country.. it was never presented as a reality in this country. Things changed in America after 9/11.

"So we we have the economy, large working poor, middle class getting the shaft. Hey thats great I guess, more incentive to get rich I guess."

why would you rely on some distant government full of aristocrats and made men to take care of you financially? The less they can control the less they can take away from you and the more power you have to forge for yourself your own freedom ($$)

"Hey, lets all talk about jesus and impose religious values on our laws, thats cool i guess too cause hey, I should really start thinking what some fucks in some bible belt state think, cause they know so damned much about the world."

Imposing religious values? Where and how? You're talking about defining marriage (something that I don't think can hold up in court but I support) and abortion (murder of innocent children?).. what else? ALLOWING and NOT BANNING prayer in schools is imposing a particular belief? You know that even Christianity is fractured in a hundred ways.. we don't agree with our own beliefs let alone whether and how to try to influence society at the level of government. If you think I represent the average christian voter then you'd know that I believe religion should be kept out of government as much as possible as well. A government establishing a state religion is the worst thing that can happen to a society... and to that religion.

"You know what? 51% of america is largely stupid. Thanks again."

You can draw that line wherever you want. If I'm supposed to be rubbing shoulders with the supposed intellect of America just because they all have PhDs then I'm thoroughly disappointed with the level of intelligence here.

Razoric

Banned
Guileless said:
If you think gassing villages and filling mass graves with your opponents is indicative of being a pussy I'd hate to know what it takes to be a hardass.

Bombing those villages to pieces and killing anyone that's left all for a lie. ;)

Ripclawe

Banned
xsarien said:
Have you not picked up a newspaper in the last four years? You want to talk about shit-your-pants-oh-we're-in-trouble problems in the world? Let's see, the Iranians chanting "Death to America" as they passed their resolutions to start up nuclear development for "energy;" Kim Jong-Il is starving his people, definitely has weapons of mass destruction that could theoretically hit the US west coast, and Bush refuses to even talk with him directly; there's confirmed genocide in the Sudan right now, our troops would be much more effective there. We are accused of being largely hypocritical, of being a nation that cares only about itself. Helping to stop the killing there would go a long way to make some rethink that.

But I guess dealing with Saddam and his Sisyphian dick-waving with Iran was more important.

Iran has been chanting Death to America since Carter.

North Korea is going to be part of a 6 nation talk including China, Russia, SK, Japan and America, far more effective than bilateral talks which got us into this mess years ago.

No one wants to send troops to the Sudan, the UN, EU, China refuses to put harsh sanctions on the Sudanese government. We are going the Multilateral route.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Meier said:
Every time you bring up this bullshit about gays being deported blah blah, you just look like an idiot.

Every time someone votes against gay marriage, that's what makes a particular person look like an idiot.

Ripclawe said:
Iran has been chanting Death to America since Carter.

Yes, but now they're making nukes. And with our credibility problem around the, oh, say, entire world, we're not going to be taken too seriously when we kindly ask them to stop.

You can be smart and stupid at the very same time. A vote for bush is a vote for stupid Sound harsh? Sound stupid and pig headed? Well aparently im in good company here in these united states.

LETS GET SUM OIL..I MEAN FIGHT TERROR!

akascream said:

Let me see if I understand you, then: despite the litany of intelligent, well-articulated, fact-based arguments you've read on this forum ever since the war began, you believe all of those arguments are manufactured smokescreen for the fact that these people simply just don't like Bush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom