• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr.City said:
With where this discussion is leading, I'm tempted to post a certain video.

Do it.

Also, I never had a fear of squats. Got into them easily and "love" them, you could say. Deadlifts, those scared me, just because I was worried about long term back injury, but I got sucked it up and got them done and they feel great.

Power Cleans can suck it. That shit never has looked fun. In fact, I always imagine someone snapping their wrist with those things.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not a good workout session for me tonight. I wasn't mentally focused at all. Almost lost my balance a couple of times while doing squats, yeesh.

Ended up taking an extended break to clear my mind and try it again and did all my sets cleanly from that point on.

It was a good lesson to learn though to go in it 100% focused or not at all. Won't make the same mistake twice, that's for sure.

reilo said:
Not a good workout session for me tonight. I wasn't mentally focused at all. Almost lost my balance a couple of times while doing squats, yeesh.

Ended up taking an extended break to clear my mind and try it again and did all my sets cleanly from that point on.

It was a good lesson to learn though to go in it 100% focused or not at all. Won't make the same mistake twice, that's for sure.

I get that occasionally, the feeling like I'm going to fall when squatting feeling. Like you said, it happens when I don't focus on tilt forward too much, and push with the front of my feet rather than driving my heels into the ground. When I take the time to focus, it doesn't happen.

Not focusing during squats, dead lifts, and powercleans too I imagine, is dangerous.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
My Bench Press is getting stronger. I'm at about 145 right now (which is one 45 on each side with one ten accompanying them both). I feel I could probably go for 20s instead of 10s next time I bench. At 20lbs more I'll be benching my own bodyweight.

Also, it feels amazing when you start doing really heavy weights. Its like seeing all the physical progress you've gone through on the bars or in the dumbells and your just pushing them off you. Like Arnold said, that plus the pump is like orgasming all over the gym.

reilo

Soka said:
I get that occasionally, the feeling like I'm going to fall when squatting feeling. Like you said, it happens when I don't focus on tilt forward too much, and push with the front of my feet rather than driving my heels into the ground. When I take the time to focus, it doesn't happen.

Not focusing during squats, dead lifts, and powercleans too I imagine, is dangerous.

What's worse is that it hangs over your head the rest of the workout.

BTW, when calculating how much weight you are pushing with barbells, do you count the weight of the bar?

Like, a standard big barbell for squats is what? 45lbs?

And for bench press it's 35lbs?

So if I'm doing 2x35 on the bench press, I should say that I am pushing 105lbs?

BlueTsunami

reilo said:
What's worse is that it hangs over your head the rest of the workout.

BTW, when calculating how much weight you are pushing with barbells, do you count the weight of the bar?

Like, a standard big barbell for squats is what? 45lbs?

And for bench press it's 35lbs?

So if I'm doing 2x35 on the bench press, I should say that I am pushing 105lbs?

Yep, Olympic Bars have standard weights I believe. The one I use to bench press is 35lbs.

BlueTsunami said:
My Bench Press is getting stronger. I'm at about 145 right now (which is one 45 on each side with one ten accompanying them both). I feel I could probably go for 20s instead of 10s next time I bench. At 20lbs more I'll be benching my own bodyweight.

Also, it feels amazing when you start doing really heavy weights. Its like seeing all the physical progress you've gone through on the bars or in the dumbells and your just pushing them off you. Like Arnold said, that plus the pump is like orgasming all over the gym.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgLKbuwwUw&feature=related

There's the video for those that don't follow Blue's quote!

JB1981

damn i have a shitty cold but i don't want to be all down and sick and not go to the gym.

i think i keep getting sick FROM the gym actually. last week i had pink eye .. and this week i caught a cold. i think i'm getting it from touching all the fucking dirty weights that everyone else touches. dirty bastards.

Slo

It's very hard to follow my own advice on this one, but you should really let your body recover. Lifting while sick is just going to tax your body and slow recovery, and the half-assed, low energy workout that you'd be trading that for isn't going to do you any good anyway.

It's hard to take a day off sometimes.

JB1981

Slo said:
It's very hard to follow my own advice on this one, but you should really let your body recover. Lifting while sick is just going to tax your body and slow recovery, and the half-assed, low energy workout that you'd be trading that for isn't going to do you any good anyway.

It's hard to take a day off sometimes.
Yea I figured this but ... I'm going anyway. Just had a big breakfast, got some rest last night and I'm hitting the beach in 2 hours with my friends. I'm squatting today, hopefully they'll feel a little better. Gotta remember to drive up with my ass. Drive up with the ASS.

I finally hit 225 on deadlifts yesterday. I was hesitant to go up that high because it's been a long time since I've done them regularly. I was actually able to squeeze out 10! so now I'm excited to keep movin' on up!

on an unrelated note, women doing squats is probably one of the sexiest things they can do with clothes on, imo.

Chichikov

Straightballin said:
Is it just me or is it really hard to make weight gains on your bicep workouts?
Biceps importance is almost exclusively aesthetic, so if you choose to focus on them (personally I think it's a waste of time, but to each his own) I really would worry less about progressive strength and more about how your arms look.

joshcryer said:
What about it?

Chichikov said:
Biceps importance is almost exclusively aesthetic, so if you choose to focus on them (personally I think it's a waste of time, but to each his own) I really would worry less about progressive strength and more about how your arms look.

I agree with that. I get my three big lifts in, and then from there do the smaller, mostly aesthetic lifts. Makes me feel like I've done the important stuff, but still managed to work towards what I consider a more attractive body. I do hate biceps though, it's a total bitch for me to increase them in either size or weight lifting capacity. Very slow progress.

On a similar small-muscle note, anyone have a suggestion for different ab exercises? I've done leg lifts, either by supporting my weight on the dip stand, or laying on a bench, and I've tried weighted decline situps (which felt worthless), but I can't seem to target my lower abs as well. Upper abs are starting to show through nicely as I'm cutting body fat, but my lower abs don't seem to show through or feel as strong as I'd like. I do have that neat little "V"-line around my hips, though, which I'm unsure how I obtained.

Nolan. said:
What happened to the thread someone clue me up i'm confused.

Captain Glanton left GAF, and also took the original post for this thread with him. Mr. Snrub got banned, not sure how long. Probably a month. Business as usual otherwise.

Chichikov

Soka said:
On a similar small-muscle note, anyone have a suggestion for different ab exercises? I've done leg lifts, either by supporting my weight on the dip stand, or laying on a bench, and I've tried weighted decline situps (which felt worthless), but I can't seem to target my lower abs as well. Upper abs are starting to show through nicely as I'm cutting body fat, but my lower abs don't seem to show through or feel as strong as I'd like. I do have that neat little "V"-line around my hips, though, which I'm unsure how I obtained.
Bicycle crunches and weighted roman chair sit-ups.

Also, abs are extremely important muscle group, I would lump them with the biceps.

Howdy!

I read up on the thread today, because I can't get GAF to stop sending me daily updates. I just wanted to make a few things clear before I go.

--I want to thank people for the supportive PMs.

--I've had a very low opinion of GAF at large for a long time, which was capped by the bullshit with Amir0x. That he's a mod told me everything I needed to know about the board's priorities, and I do not feel that this is the place for me. I do hope that the thread has helped people and that it continues to help them. Today I listened to Dyack's talk last week [or 2 weeks ago?] on 1up Yours, and it has helped confirm in my mind that leaving GAF is the right thing to do.

--I do plan for this to be my last post. Frankly, rather than migrate to another board, I will probably give up on the message board system entirely. Although I think that overall this thread has been successful [calls for pics from GAYF notwithstanding], I always feel that you have to go by the rule and not the exception. This thread is the exception, and as a rule, my experiences on gaming boards have been terrible.

--Regarding the OP: On the one hand, it's my post and I put a lot of time into it, and I felt that I could not have my hard work remain associated with GAF. That's why I took it down. On the other hand, the OP is also a matter of public record, and if someone else wants to claim it from Google and repost it, and add to it as they go, do so with my blessing.

Stay fit.

reilo

Captain Glanton said:
Howdy!

I read up on the thread today, because I can't get GAF to stop sending me daily updates. I just wanted to make a few things clear before I go.

--I've had a very low opinion of GAF at large for a long time, which was capped by the bullshit with Amir0x. That he's a mod told me everything I needed to know about the board's priorities, and I do not feel that this is the place for me. I do hope that the thread has helped people and that it continues to help them. Today I listened to Dyack's talk last week [or 2 weeks ago?] on 1up Yours, and it has helped confirm in my mind that leaving GAF is the right thing to do.

--I do plan for this to be my last post. Frankly, rather than migrate to another board, I will probably give up on the message board system entirely. Although I think that overall this thread has been successful [calls for pics from GAYF notwithstanding], I always feel that you have to go by the rule and not the exception. This thread is the exception, and as a rule, my experiences on gaming boards have been terrible.

--Regarding the OP: On the one hand, it's my post and I put a lot of time into it, and I felt that I could not have my hard work remain associated with GAF. That's why I took it down. On the other hand, the OP is also a matter of public record, and if someone else wants to claim it from Google and repost it, and add to it as they go, do so with my blessing.

Stay fit.

Don't leave.

Chichikov

Captain Glanton said:
Howdy!

Stay fit.

Take care man
But I have to say, I think you take this BS a bit too seriously.
If you managed to use this forum to get one person off of his fat ass and into shape, it outweigh all the other shit around in the grand scheme of things.

reilo

Chichikov said:
Bicycle crunches and weighted roman chair sit-ups.

Also, abs are extremely important muscle group, I would lump them with the biceps.

For roman chair sit-ups - facing down towards the ground or facing upwards towards the ceiling? Or switch it up?

Chichikov

reilo said:
For roman chair sit-ups - facing down towards the ground or facing upwards towards the ceiling? Or switch it up?
Facing up = sit ups.
Facing down = back extension (target the erector spinae, and in my mind rather pointless if you're doing your deadlifts).

BlueTsunami

God's Beard said:
I just watched Arnold's Pumping Iron movie the other day, and it got me so fucking pumped. Franco Colombo is my new inspiration.

Franco Colombo fucking rocks. I think him and I are the same height which kind of hints at the physique I could get if I was actually serious about bodybuilding (genetics aside).

BlueTsunami

Roman Chair Sittups, I feel, stress the Abs the most. I've been doing them with bodyweight though, I think I'll start using plates or a medicine ball for added weight.

Also, I've been meaning to ask. You guys that really work out your abs, do you worry about extending your belling and basically getting an overly large stomach due to weighted crunches? I have a feeling its one of those myths (since I"m not fully informed on ab workouts) .

Mumei

I'm not entirely sure where to start, so I'm going to ask The Experts here.

I have no interest in bulking up or gaining weight, though I don't mind if this happens in the course of what I'm actually interested in doing. In terms of body type, I'm lucky in that I don't gain weight, and I seem to, near as I can tell, stay in fairly decent shape with a minimal amount of exercise - what I get in the course of a week. That said, I'm not actually in good shape.

So, anyway. I'm 5'8", 115 pounds, and I don't really know where to start on this whole "being healthier" thing. Suggestions!

Chichikov

BlueTsunami said:
Also, I've been meaning to ask. You guys that really work out your abs, do you worry about extending your belling and basically getting an overly large stomach due to weighted crunches? I have a feeling its one of those myths (since I"m not fully informed on ab workouts) .
I don't do too many specific abs exercises, but since I do plenty of big lifts, turkish get-ups, running, swimming and weighted vest abuse, they get plenty of work.

And getting very big abs can create the illusion of a bigger gut, but if you're working your entire body it's not something you should worry about too much, your legs, chest and back should grow faster.

Mumei said:
I'm not entirely sure where to start, so I'm going to ask The Experts here.

I have no interest in bulking up or gaining weight, though I don't mind if this happens in the course of what I'm actually interested in doing. In terms of body type, I'm lucky in that I don't gain weight, and I seem to, near as I can tell, stay in fairly decent shape with a minimal amount of exercise - what I get in the course of a week. That said, I'm not actually in good shape.

So, anyway. I'm 5'8", 115 pounds, and I don't really know where to start on this whole "being healthier" thing. Suggestions!
Start by stating your goals and access to training facilities.

Mumei

Chichikov said:
Start by stating your goals and access to training facilities.

Er.

I have no access to training facilities, and I'm simply interested in being in better shape. I'm not sure where to be more specific, honestly.

Edit: I don't know, would knowing my current levels of exercise / diet help with knowing what to suggest?

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Captain Glanton said:
Howdy!

Stay fit.

Aw man, you could ignore the rest of gaf and still post here. The legacy doesn't rest in gaf. It rests in the glistening, sculpted triceps you helped build with your routines and advice. But i spose a man has to do what a man has to do. Keep on kickbackin'

Captain Glanton said:
Goodbye post

I also think that you are giving too much importance to things that don't deserve it, but it's absolutely your decision. Being somebody that hardly ever gives a fuck about negative pressure from the outside, I know that for some people can be grating and drive them to think that it's not worth it.

So since we won't probably talk you out of leaving GAF and message boards altogether, have fun and try to think about us from time to time. Despite what that Dyack dude says (which after hearing him carefully, sounded like a big load of horseshit disguised as literary quotes and content, something very usual in my area of work) we are real people.

Take care.

nyong

Banned
Well, not that it should surprise me....

I tweaked my knee after running 10 miles in one day. It was the weirdest sensation, though. No real pain, but it felt like my knee could collapse at any second. Like it was unstable...kinda hard to explain. Anyone experienced this before? I'm going to stop running for awhile and let it heal. No medical insurance so a major injury would be baaaad.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
230lbs walking lunges but for 18x so I did 210 after...I treated myself to some chicken burgers and milk shakes later on. I always feel guilty cheating but it's just so good... :lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm getting my ass back in the gym starting this monday. I might be going to Europe next month so I wanna trim down as much as I can. Gonna be getting really familiar with the tread mill.:D

YYZ

I experimented with working out almost immediately after getting up and I've found it's a great thing to do. For now I've only done mini-workouts (2 different exercises, 5x5 with 2 minute rests). I find that it helps me get up and primed for the rest of the day and I've pretty much had to do this since I don't have time with my full-time job. I do eat a little bit beforehand, maybe only 200 calories or so, but definitely not a full breakfast.

Take care Glanton, really don't wanna see you go either, but it's all up to you and if you think that's best so be it.

Four months ago, I would've never clicked this thread, probably would've loathed it. Now it's only thread on GAF that I've ever checked daily, hell I pretty much have it bookmarked. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

bud

so my friend's been working out for some time now, and he's now got some stretchmarks on his arms. i'm thinking about working out, too, but i'm wondering what you guys to do prevent getting these marks /noob

jacf29

Banned
I started out at 203 pounds back in Mid-May. I just weighed myself and now I weigh 187.5 pounds. Wow it feels so good to be in the 180's :).

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
bud said:
so my friend's been working out for some time now, and he's now got some stretchmarks on his arms. i'm thinking about working out, too, but i'm wondering what you guys to do prevent getting these marks /noob

Not speaking from some kind of lifting pro point of view. but generally you can help prevent stretch marks by keeping your skin moisturized. There are also creams to clear the marks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom