• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

Mumei said:
Er.

I have no access to training facilities, and I'm simply interested in being in better shape. I'm not sure where to be more specific, honestly.

Edit: I don't know, would knowing my current levels of exercise / diet help with knowing what to suggest?
I guess it could help, but seriously, you should try to think what you're trying to achieve in training.
Do you want to lose fat?
Do you want to get stronger?
Are you looking to train to a specific event?

bud said:
so my friend's been working out for some time now, and he's now got some stretchmarks on his arms. i'm thinking about working out, too, but i'm wondering what you guys to do prevent getting these marks /noob
Quite honestly, it should not be your number on concern.
You need some pretty rapid muscle growth, the type you won't get without a very specialized and probably supplement heavy diet/
But as Sol pointed out, moisturizing your skin can help preventing them.
Also, they usually get better over time.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
so my friend's been working out for some time now, and he's now got some stretchmarks on his arms. i'm thinking about working out, too, but i'm wondering what you guys to do prevent getting these marks /noob

Vitamn E is supposed to help get rid of stretch marks.

Also get a dark tan and they tend to fade out in the color.

deadbeef

Is there a cookie-cutter or baseline Rippetoe program? I want to compare it to the Bill Starr 5x5 program. I'm getting started on an actual weight-lifting program again tomorrow and want to make some last minute comparisons.

deadbeef

Dice Man said:
Is there a cookie-cutter or baseline Rippetoe program? I want to compare it to the Bill Starr 5x5 program. I'm getting started on an actual weight-lifting program again tomorrow and want to make some last minute comparisons.

Nevermind it's super simple. Found the program outline.

I forgot about this thread. I remember saying to everyone that I gave up squats because it just felt too awkward. Well, I figured out why. I wasn't wearing shoes. I thought that maybe since I didn't want to buy the old Converse to squat in, I'd settle for the next best thing: go bare feet. So I started to squat for a few days and everything about my form felt so weird. I stopped squatting for a few weeks, decided to try it again but with shoes on and everything felt better. I also found a better leg press machine (we have two at Gold's Gym).

So for my leg workouts, I do:

5x5 squats
8x3 leg presses
3 sets of walking lunges
3x8 reverse lunges
extensions
leg curls
innie/outie thigh machine

Slo

Nolan. said:
Sorry to see you go Glanton, Man whats happening with gaf.

Nothing is happening at GAF. I've been here since May 1999. The regulars and "populars" come and they go. This is not new or unexpected.

As for CG, yeah, he'll be missed. He was a great contributor, maybe the best in the thread, and it's a shame that he's leaving. But, his presence on GAF should have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Joe Blow Gaffer makes it in to the gym on Monday morning. Stay focused guys, we're still the ones that gotta do the work, Glanton didn't ever do it for us. You can be damned sure he's still going to be busting his ass, so we should all do the same.

Anybody have a good link on doing effective situps/crunches? I quit doing them a ways back to focus on cardio/swimming, but have lost enough baby pudge to justify shaping my upper body. I'd presume there's a link somewhere in the midst of this thread, but it's kind of massive...

Jirotrom

mr stroke said:
how in hell did you manage to do that?
normally i do some type of active activity 6 days out of the week, im in a fatloss phase right now but took a week off for exams. I guess i just coasted. I'll get back to playing Rball tomorrow, yesterday was delegated to bike riding.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
JzeroT1437 said:
Anybody have a good link on doing effective situps/crunches? I quit doing them a ways back to focus on cardio/swimming, but have lost enough baby pudge to justify shaping my upper body. I'd presume there's a link somewhere in the midst of this thread, but it's kind of massive...

This is a link to a bunch of articles about Abdominal workouts...

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Abdominals

Though, Chichikov posted on a page back...

Bicycle crunches and weighted roman chair sit-ups.

Also, abs are extremely important muscle group, I would lump them with the biceps.

Bicycle crunches should get your obliques too. Roman Chair sit-ups give you a great extension that allows the complete abdominal to get stressed.

An example of Roman Chair Sit Ups...

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/romanchair.html

BlueTsunami said:
This is a link to a bunch of articles about Abdominal workouts...

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Abdominals

Though, Chichikov posted on a page back...

Bicycle crunches should get your obliques too. Roman Chair sit-ups give you a great extension that allows the complete abdominal to get stressed.

An example of Roman Chair Sit Ups...

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/romanchair.html

For some reason I keep getting thrown off by the motion of Bicycle crunches. I can only do about ten to twenty of them before I get sick at my stomach--but not from muscular pain, just nausea.

I think I need to take it slow and learn to pick it up.

I hate drinking water. It just doesn't taste good to me and derive no enjoyment out of drinking it. So do I lose any benefit to just downing a glass instead of slowing drinking it? Can my body absorb and utilize all the water in a glass regardless how fast I drink it?

BlueTsunami

JzeroT1437 said:
For some reason I keep getting thrown off by the motion of Bicycle crunches. I can only do about ten to twenty of them before I get sick at my stomach--but not from muscular pain, just nausea.

I think I need to take it slow and learn to pick it up.

Make sure you don't eat or drink a lot of liquids before doing any abdominal exercises, that could be the reason. If thats not the case then I guess try to do it slowly but keep the intensity up by flexing your abdominal during the crunches.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I hate drinking water. It just doesn't taste good to me and derive no enjoyment out of drinking it. So do I lose any benefit to just downing a glass instead of slowing drinking it? Can my body absorb and utilize all the water in a glass regardless how fast I drink it?

I think it should be fine. I've read that bolting milk is actually detrimental (the milk will curdle in your stomach), so its best to drink it over time. With the water, the worst that could probably happen is you feeling bloated.

BlueTsunami said:
Make sure you don't eat or drink a lot of liquids before doing any abdominal exercises, that could be the reason. If thats not the case then I guess try to do it slowly but keep the intensity up by flexing your abdominal during the crunches.

That'd be it. Just ate dinner.

Mumei

Chichikov said:
I guess it could help, but seriously, you should try to think what you're trying to achieve in training.
Do you want to lose fat?
Do you want to get stronger?
Are you looking to train to a specific event?

Well, to be honest, my friends have accidentally guilt-tripped me into feeling this way. I recently moved in with them, and they're currently on the Appalachian Trail; they spent several months getting ready, and now they are going to hike about a hundred miles of it this week.

I guess it's just living with people who are actually making an effort towards that sort of goal - to hike a segment of the AT (and in one of their cases, make more work towards losing weight) - that has made me think that I could be doing more.

I don't want to lose fat; I'm underweight as it is. I think that any sort of regular exercise would make me stronger, but that isn't the goal in and of itself. I'm not training for any sort of specific event.

Basically, I'm more aware of just how little exercise I get, and I'm not sure where to start on this whole thing. Is it simply enough to just ride my bike 5 or 6 miles a few times a week, swim laps for a few hours, or do I need more?

I'm not even really sure I need to ask questions here, but I thought I might as well.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mumei said:
Well, to be honest, my friends have accidentally guilt-tripped me into feeling this way. I recently moved in with them, and they're currently on the Appalachian Trail; they spent several months getting ready, and now they are going to hike about a hundred miles of it this week.

I guess it's just living with people who are actually making an effort towards that sort of goal - to hike a segment of the AT (and in one of their cases, make more work towards losing weight) - that has made me think that I could be doing more.

I don't want to lose fat; I'm underweight as it is. I think that any sort of regular exercise would make me stronger, but that isn't the goal in and of itself. I'm not training for any sort of specific event.

Basically, I'm more aware of just how little exercise I get, and I'm not sure where to start on this whole thing. Is it simply enough to just ride my bike 5 or 6 miles a few times a week, swim laps for a few hours, or do I need more?

I'm not even really sure I need to ask questions here, but I thought I might as well.

It would seem you feel slightly vulnerable not being on the same level of activity as those around you.

Try learning a style of dancing. I bet you'll feel better about yourself after the very. first. day.

Mumei

Sol.. said:
It would seem you feel slightly vulnerable not being on the same level of activity as those around you.

Try learning a style of dancing. I bet you'll feel better about yourself after the very. first. day.

I would sooner die. :lol

You know, I think I'll just try to get some more exercise in general, and then if I get more concrete goals after I start, I'll come back here.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Mumei said:

You know, I think I'll just try to get some more exercise in general, and then if I get more concrete goals after I start, I'll come back here.

heh, good luck. Just throwin some stuff out there, because if you don't have a goal odds are you aren't going to stick with exercise. Gotta have somethin to work for. So if not dancing how about Martial Arts? Those dudes get fuckin' crazy with the fitness goals.

Mumei said:

Establish a routine for yourself and stick with it every day--or every other day depending on the nature of your routine. Do it for the discipline involved. Allow that to be your goal. Soon you'll be setting goals for heavier weights, higher calorie burns, and longer workouts. I spend about 2 hours a day in the cardio room then finish it off with some laps in the pool. I have a certain number of sets I like to do on each of the Nautilus circuit machines, and alternate between the circuit, the cross-trainers/pro-cors and the stairmasters. This allows me to keep upping the ante on each machine, which is a goal in itself.

In addition, I'm training for advanced SCUBA certification. This requires that I push myself as hard as I can in the pool each day. Yet another goal.

You don't have to have some sort of competition lined up to want to work out. You should do it for your health and for the discipline involved. Allow those to be your goals. Nobody's saying you have to become Muscleman Mumei, but 40-60 minutes of cardio and some general toning each day never really hurt anyone.

Struct09

Sol.. said:

I'd agree with the dancing. I took up swing dancing in college - great for both health and social reasons :D

Mr.City

Teh Hamburglar said:

This seems to come up a lot. Let me tell you as someone who has raised all his childhood on fruit juice, chocolate milk, and soda pop, the transition is difficult. Trust me, you'll love it. It's more thirst quenching than anything else.

Since you're complaining about the taste though, I'm assuming you're drinking tap. Depending upon where you live, tap can be nasty. I tend to drink all my water out of a Brita pitcher myself. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

BlueTsunami

I'm trying to eliminate white bread out of my diet (yet still keep carb rich stuff in, like pasta). By doing so, I pulled out some tuna fish, cucumbers and tomatoes. Poured 2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the vegetables and mixed in the canned tuna. Tastes delicious.

Also, peanut butter is way underused. If your trying to pack the calories in, look into eating 2 tablespoon worth of PB. That should be about 200 Calories alone.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Struct09 said:
I'd agree with the dancing. I took up swing dancing in college - great for both health and social reasons :D

cool beans.

Soon after the semester starts i'm going to take some Lindi Hopping classes at a local studio. Not only for funzies but it also counts as college credit.....for whatever reason.

I've actually always wanted to start something like gymnastics or dance in order to improve my balance and rhythm, as well as be able to pull off some gymnastic manoeuvres. More control over my body, basically. I used to do martial arts, but that was how I hurt my lower back, so I might be better off with something more controlled than combat classes.

Not sure exactly what I should do, though. Doesn't seem to be any gymnastics groups around my area that aren't geared towards either pros or teenagers, and I can't pick a style of dance that'd be both extremely physical and actually sort of applicable to what I do when I go out dancing. Also sort of taking a look at parkour or capoeira.

Will probably wait until I've completed 1 or 2 bulking cycles and then start looking into it seriously - the extra cardio would help with cutting down.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
buckfutter said:
I've actually always wanted to start something like gymnastics or dance in order to improve my balance and rhythm, as well as be able to pull off some gymnastic manoeuvres. More control over my body, basically. I used to do martial arts, but that was how I hurt my lower back, so I might be better off with something more controlled than combat classes.

Not sure exactly what I should do, though. Doesn't seem to be any gymnastics groups around my area that aren't geared towards either pros or teenagers, and I can't pick a style of dance that'd be both extremely physical and actually sort of applicable to what I do when I go out dancing. Also sort of taking a look at parkour or capoeira.

Will probably wait until I've completed 1 or 2 bulking cycles and then start looking into it seriously - the extra cardio would help with cutting down.

If you're manly enough theres contemporary.

Theres also

West Coast Swing
Breakdancing (obviously)
Tap
Krumping
Lindi Hopping

BlueTsunami

The case for eggs if your weightlifting/bodybuilding...

Eggs: Are they good or bad for you?

I've personally been eating 3 whole eggs a day (in the morning) with a cups worth of OJ or any other juice (with Whey Protein mixed in). The Eggs for the Protein, the Juice so I'm refilling my body with Glucose, the whey protein so I can get a higher than normal shot of protein. Sometimes I'll eat of bowl of oats but I'm experimenting with cutting carbs a bit (not completely but not focus on it like I am Protein and Calories).

Jirotrom said:
Best feeling is when you take a week off, eat tons of junk food and still lose nearly a quarter of an inch off your waist:lol

I don't eat junk food, but I too lose weight when I stop going to the gym, which is bad!

Teh Hamburglar said:

You're crazy. I literally drink water 24/7. I'm always carrying a bottle in my hand everywhere I go; company meetings, walking down the street, driving in the car, you name it. One colleague remarked the other day "Is the bottle your trademark signature or something? I never see you without it!"... And my home I have at least one large bottle of water in every single room, including the bedroom and bathroom. I actually have water bottles ON my bed (it's a king sized bed), and I drink water during my sleep :lol

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Some of you people talk about water like it's full of piss and vinegar.

Nolan.

Slo said:
Nothing is happening at GAF. I've been here since May 1999. The regulars and "populars" come and they go. This is not new or unexpected.

As for CG, yeah, he'll be missed. He was a great contributor, maybe the best in the thread, and it's a shame that he's leaving. But, his presence on GAF should have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Joe Blow Gaffer makes it in to the gym on Monday morning. Stay focused guys, we're still the ones that gotta do the work, Glanton didn't ever do it for us. You can be damned sure he's still going to be busting his ass, so we should all do the same.

Yeah I know. Though I bookmarked the big block of info he wrote down so I could keep referring to it. Having said that though I guess I picked up the main bits out of it, anyway message received.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just noticed what happened here.

Captain Glanton said:
--I've had a very low opinion of GAF at large for a long time, which was capped by the bullshit with Amir0x. That he's a mod told me everything I needed to know about the board's priorities, and I do not feel that this is the place for me. I do hope that the thread has helped people and that it continues to help them. Today I listened to Dyack's talk last week [or 2 weeks ago?] on 1up Yours, and it has helped confirm in my mind that leaving GAF is the right thing to do.

You're leaving the forum in disgust in part because Dyack's 1up Yours monologue affected you so profoundly? I'd layer this response with lol emoticons if it wasn't such an obnoxious way to post.

--I do plan for this to be my last post. Frankly, rather than migrate to another board, I will probably give up on the message board system entirely. Although I think that overall this thread has been successful [calls for pics from GAYF notwithstanding], I always feel that you have to go by the rule and not the exception. This thread is the exception, and as a rule, my experiences on gaming boards have been terrible.

--Regarding the OP: On the one hand, it's my post and I put a lot of time into it, and I felt that I could not have my hard work remain associated with GAF. That's why I took it down. On the other hand, the OP is also a matter of public record, and if someone else wants to claim it from Google and repost it, and add to it as they go, do so with my blessing.

Happy landing, drama queen. If I can retain my sanity day to day then there's no good reason for you to pull the douchey move of deleting the OP of this thread.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
gotta agree. pulling the o.p. was a tactic that jibes pretty well with anyone who would take dyack's call to arms seriously: childish and melodramatic. i'd imagine c.g. was splitting his time here and on more workout-centric forums. big fish in the small workout pond on gaf, though. shame to see him take off, but it's not as if i'm suddenly going to explode to a 400 lbs. monster in his absence

Struct09

BlueTsunami said:
The case for eggs if your weightlifting/bodybuilding...

Eggs: Are they good or bad for you?

I've personally been eating 3 whole eggs a day (in the morning) with a cups worth of OJ or any other juice (with Whey Protein mixed in). The Eggs for the Protein, the Juice so I'm refilling my body with Glucose, the whey protein so I can get a higher than normal shot of protein. Sometimes I'll eat of bowl of oats but I'm experimenting with cutting carbs a bit (not completely but not focus on it like I am Protein and Calories).

Poorly written article, but the message is what matters. Eggs are awesome.

lil smoke

Banned
Well, I have been on vacation and come back and Snrub AND Glanton are banned and gone? WTF?

See this is why I stay away from gaming. Level of maturity is way too low there, and I'm surprised that CG would even get mixed up in that sort of thing.

RE: erasing the original post. I know I would have done the exact same thing. Why should he allow GAF to benefit from his work if he's not getting respect from the mods here? And ya'lls are calling it childish. Amazing. I swear, GAF ... most of you seem very childish to me. CG was one of the adult acting people on here. Yeah, he took his shit and left. That is not childish. That's called "fuck you back, then". Guess you guys have never had beefs or battles with people?

Ya'll are just mad because now you have to work to get that info that he put up there for free for you guys, spelled out right there for ya. Go do it yourselfs now.

aznpxdd

Uh, its childish because we aren't the ones he's mad at. If he has issues with mods and just left the forum...then whatever. But he took down the OP knowing its helping people.

yacobod

Banned
idk but deleting the OP and leaving the forums, is the same thing as taking your ball home and quitting, i dont know how much more childish you can get

lil smoke

Banned
It's a tact of spite, not childishness.

I use that tactic when I have to as well.... it is too bad for the people who used the OP info. But he was doing a service to the forum that just dissed him.

pollo

Banned
Hey, people will deal with their shit differently. If Glanton wants to delete HIS OWN OP then he should be able to. GL to him, he put a lot of work and effort to educating GAF.

EviLore said:
You're leaving the forum in disgust in part because Dyack's 1up Yours monologue affected you so profoundly? I'd layer this response with lol emoticons if it wasn't such an obnoxious way to post.

Agreed. Glanton's 'grad school frustration' stories all of a sudden make a lot more sense now.

Uncooked

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Agreed. Glanton's 'grad school frustration' stories all of a sudden make a lot more sense now.

Yeah, if being called a pussy during an internet argument over a video game sets you off, graduate school would be difficult to handle.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Uh, its childish because we aren't the ones he's mad at. If he has issues with mods and just left the forum...then whatever. But he took down the OP knowing its helping people.
Yeah honestly, what was the point of that?

Glanton's a drama queen. Moving on...

winnarps

Revised again:

I'm using the Rippetoe Starting Strength guide/book to get into lifting.

Starting off with the basic MWF alternate exercises (all barbell lifting)- squats, bench, deadlifts, etc. With some small extra ab work thrown in (needsize situps, to get the lower areas). I've started with minimal weights on each, generally bar + 30 lbs. I'm gonna add about 5-10 lbs. every workout for the next 2 weeks and see where I'm at.

Is this safer? I feel like I've scaled back a lot from my previous plan(s).

I also picked up whey protein and I'm purging my diet of shitty foods. Basically gonna eat lean meat, eggs, brown rice, and a mix of fruits/veggies for the next month straight just to see how it goes. Drinks are tons of water, a little green tea, and tons of skim milk.

I think I'm on the right track now. I just need to keep a journal and a record of digital pics.

Can someone who saved it post the OP? I know he probably did it for a reason, but it was very helpful.

If not, can someone PM it to me? I know some people mentioned having copied and pasted it.

Also, I did some Roman Chair situps today. Those things are holy crap effective. I immediately felt it working.

Troblin

winnarps said:
Revised again:

I'm using the Rippetoe Starting Strength guide/book to get into lifting.

Starting off with the basic MWF alternate exercises (all barbell lifting)- squats, bench, deadlifts, etc. With some small extra ab work thrown in (needsize situps, to get the lower areas). I've started with minimal weights on each, generally bar + 30 lbs. I'm gonna add about 5-10 lbs. every workout for the next 2 weeks and see where I'm at.

Is this safer? I feel like I've scaled back a lot from my previous plan(s).

I also picked up whey protein and I'm purging my diet of shitty foods. Basically gonna eat lean meat, eggs, brown rice, and a mix of fruits/veggies for the next month straight just to see how it goes. Drinks are tons of water, a little green tea, and tons of skim milk.

I think I'm on the right track now. I just need to keep a journal and a record of digital pics.

Sounds good .
If you stick with it, you won't recognize yourself in 3 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom