• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fitness Thread of Whipping Your Butt into Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
lil smoke said:
Or develop bigger shoulders :lol

Which he will by lifting heavier weights. If you want to get stronger, you need to lift strong. Meaning, lift big, lift heavy. Don't overdo it though.

reaver18 said:
well this is shitty. I fractured my rib and can't workout for a few weeks.......but im thinking of just going.

Is anyone paying you to workout?

If not, sit your ass down and relax.

lil smoke

Banned
reaver18 said:
well this is shitty. I fractured my rib and can't workout for a few weeks.......but im thinking of just going.
ummm, weeks can become years if you don't let that shit heal up. There are certain injuries you can work thru, I don't think ribs are one of them.

reaver18

reilo said:
Which he will by lifting heavier weights. If you want to get stronger, you need to lift strong. Meaning, lift big, lift heavy. Don't overdo it though.

Is anyone paying you to workout?

If not, sit your ass down and relax.
no but I feel like a bum when I don't workout.

Chichikov

satori said:
300-500 cut in calorie is nothing drastic at all imo. And as I stated the more you work your body the more you will have to feed your body :p.

Now if all he is doing is sitting on his butt and find his daily Mant intake is lets say 2500 calorie, cutting it to 2200ish will not be harmful. I never suggest cutting more than 500 calories from your daily mant. Again I have seen people go over 1k below there mant requirement and they wonder why they are still unhealthy, or lose weight but still flabby aka my sister.

My point, do not starve yourself. Just remember to lose weight = you must burn more calorie then you intake. Please becareful of cutting too much, the worse thing, as chichikov pointed out is cut your calorie intake drastically. Your body will go in starvation mode, and trust me, I have done it before and it is not fun...
A person trying to get stronger should never be in a caloric deficit.
And you can absolutely lose fat without doing such diet.

reilo said:
Are you using any cushions on the barbell? That could help.
I'm not a fan of cushions.
With proper positioning of your shoulders a heavy shirt (or a towel if you're a skinny person) should be enough.
Cushions can cause stability problems.

Chichikov

perryfarrell said:
Why buy 10lb bumper plates? Bumper plates are more expensive than regular plates, because you can drop 'em on hard surfaces. It's best to get some 45lb bumper plates, and get the other plates (10, 25, 35) in regular plates. Either way, you got ripped off. Did you shop around at all?
Bumper plates are easier to work with because they're bigger than regular 45s, thus allowing you to rack on the floor.
Plus, for many people, 135lbs is too heavy to warm up on an exercises like power cleans that require a floor starting position.

Also, not breaking the floor is a good thing ;).

Omne

Banned
DSWii60 said:
Cardio / Core workout day:
This is the part which I need most help with. I want to work out my core muscles (by which I mean internal / external obliques etc.) but I'm not really sure what to do. I do various sit-up variations as much as I can before it becomes too painful. For Cardio what I do is I run on a treadmill as fast as I can for 2 minutes then take a short rest and repeat (is this HIIT?). I suck at running so I'm hoping this method may enable to run for longer which I simply can't do at the moment. Alternatively I cycle for 2 hours as hard as I can.
Yes, that's HIIT. Keep doing it! Whenever I do HIIT on a treadmill, I like to slow it down to a jog in between the sprints so that I keep moving no matter what and keep burning calories. I posted my HIIT treadmill workout earlier in the thread, but I'll repost it here:

1 minute @ 7 mph
30 seconds @ 10 mph, 30 seconds @ 10.5 mph
1 minute @ 7.5 mph
30 seconds @ 10.5 mph, 30 seconds @ 11 mph
1 minute @ 8 mph
30 seconds @ 11 mph, 30 seconds @ 12 mph

Followed by about a minute of slow jogging. Repeat the cycle until your legs fall off.

Obviously, you can do this plan at slower speeds. It doesn't matter what the speed is as long as you're pushing yourself as hard as you can.

Or, you could do something like this:

Start off at a comfortable speed (for me, 7 mph), and increase your speed every 30 seconds. Once you get to your top speed, work your way back down. Then repeat.

For example:

7.0 mph > 7.5 mph > 8.0 mph > 8.5 mph > 9.0 mph > 9.5 mph > 10 mph > 10.5 mph > 11 mph > 10.5 mph > 10 mph > 9.5 mph > 9.0 mph > 8.5 mph > 8.0 mph > 7.5 mph

If you want to work out your core muscles more while you're running, you can do a bunch of things. Constantly changing speeds is one, but increasing the incline is probably the best option.

The best trick for crafting a good cardio plan is always thinking of ways to make things harder for yourself. NEVER LET YOURSELF GET INTO A CONSTANT ROUTINE. Change things up and keep your body guessing. Change your speed, your time, your incline, whatever. If you feel like you're ready to go workout more after a "hard" session of cardio, you need to be pushing yourself harder.

Your core is just like any other set of muscles in the human body. You can't just expect to strengthen it by doing four sets of situps and going on your way. I spend (by far) the most time working on my core.

If you're building a core routine, remember to hit every part that you can: upper abs, lower abs, obliques, and lower back. Switch things up by working with balance mats and balls (some people say that they're not effective; for strengthening your core, there's nothing better than balance training).

Also remember that ab work is just as much a psychological exercise as it is a physical one. You won't see results immediately, but don't get discouraged; never stop doing your routine. Also keep in mind that the coveted six pack doesn't come naturally to a lot of people. My abs are hard as rocks, and even with a steady diet, they're not readily visible. Don't worry about that.

I have an ab circuit that I'm doing for track-training. Here is a list of the exercises:

Williams College

Sprints, Jumps, and Hurdles
Pillar/Abdominal Circuit

1. Standard Crunch
2. Chinnies
3. Side ups (right)
4. Side ups (left)
5. Frog leg crunch
6. Split leg crunch
7. L-sits
8. V-sits
9. Partner T/Iron cross
10. 6 inchers
11. V-balance
12. Block start push ups
13. Wall sits

Followed by basic lower ab/balance ball stuff.

I do about 20-25 reps of each. I can send you a PM with demos of the exercises if you'd like.

Hope all of this helps!

Jirotrom

been riding my bike everyday getting used to the saddle. Today was the first day for jumps, went out and did drops and jumps for an hour in this fantastic 95 degree weather:p I was drenched when I was done, I'm taking my camelbak next time.

Chichikov

Omne said:
1. Standard Crunch
2. Chinnies
3. Side ups (right)
4. Side ups (left)
5. Frog leg crunch
6. Split leg crunch
7. L-sits
8. V-sits
9. Partner T/Iron cross
10. 6 inchers
11. V-balance
12. Block start push ups
13. Wall sits

Followed by basic lower ab/balance ball stuff.

I do about 20-25 reps of each. I can send you a PM with demos of the exercises if you'd like.

Hope all of this helps!
Holy crunches Batman, that's shitload of abs exercises.
I'm a firm believer in simplifying your routines, not to mention that you can get plenty of ab workout from weight lifting, running, and well, being alive and vertical.

Spending a full gym session on targeted and fairly similar abs exercises does not seem like a good use of your time.

Omne

Banned
Chichikov said:
I'm a firm believer in simplifying your routines, not to mention that you can get plenty of ab workout from weight lifting, running, and well, being alive and vertical.

Spending a full gym session on targeted and fairly similar abs exercises does not seem like a good use of your time.

I'm a sprinter, so my core is one of the most important parts (if not THE most important part) of my body. A stronger core means more explosiveness, more stability, and, in the long run, more speed. Spending 40 minutes on something that will determine how successful I am in competittion is certainly a good use of time, at least to me.

I spend 2-2.5 hours a day working out before work. I work all of this in with weight lifting, running, and swimming. I'd never just go to the gym, do abs, and leave.

Jirotrom

Chichikov said:

Bruce lee did it...

Chichikov

Omne said:
I'm a sprinter, so my core is one of the most important parts (if not THE most important part) of my body. A stronger core means more explosiveness, more stability, and, in the long run, more speed. Spending 40 minutes on something that will determine how successful I am in competittion is certainly a good use of time, at least to me.

I spend 2-2.5 hours a day working out before work. I work all of this in with weight lifting, running, and swimming. I'd never just go to the gym, do abs, and leave.
Fair enough, I'm not a sprinter, nor do I have any experience training sprinters, I'm still not sure what you get from all this variation but I'll take your word for it, you're probably more qualify than me on this subject

But remember, you're answering to a beginner who wants to get into general shape; doing 40 minutes abs is in my mind really a pretty poor use of his time.

Jirotrom

Chichikov said:
Fair enough, I'm not a sprinter, nor do I have any experience training sprinters, I'm still not sure what you get from all this variation but I'll take your word for it, you're probably more qualify than me on this subject

But remember, you're answering to a beginner who wants to get into general shape; doing 40 minutes abs is in my mind really a pretty poor use of his time.
When I marched corps, I would do around 2000 crunches a day and 500 pushups a day, this was because I need the ab power for the constant running we did all day and proper air control when playing, good times...

EDIT: the pushups were for punishment actually:D

Omne

Banned
Chichikov said:

Well he was asking for a core routine. A beginner can just take what he wants to do out of that list and mix and match. And as he gets more advanced, he can add more stuff in.

Slo

I disagree. I think a beginner should find a good pre-written program and stick to it. After several years, they can start to wing it in the gym. Inexperienced people usually just don't have the drive or the know-how to really bust their ass. That comes with time.

JB1981

I've hit a serious wall with my bench.

Today was flat bench day. I took 4 days off the gym because I just came off being sick and my lower back has really hurt me lately.

Anyway, I'm stuck on 185 for 12, 205 for 10 and 225 for 4.

I think it's time to move up in increments of 5.

5x5

-- what do you guys think?

I think I waste a lot of energy doing the lower weight for high reps. I need to break through this wall.

Man, you guys are way ahead of me! I can barely deadlift 240lbsx5x3 :lol

Great tips on running BTW, I've been jogging an hour every day for the last couple months and wondering why my legs are getting smaller. Plus, it tendon in my right knee hurts when I get to the 4th/5th mile now, so I think I've been doing this wrong.

I'm lucky enough to have a whole gym in my garage, coutesy of my dad's old equipment, I've got mats, a treadmill, 5/6 barbells of varying shapes & sizes, 4-6 dumbells, about 500lbs of plates, an adjustable incline bench, pull-down machine and one of those big pullup things with the handles for dips. :D It's time to start the serious lifting. My arms are sooo tiny :p

My usual schedule:
Monday:Cardio + Lifting
Tuesday:Cardio
Wednesday:Cardio + Lifting
Thursday:Cardio
Friday:Cardio + Lifting
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday:Cardio

Although, if I do HIIT, that cardio's gonna change. Should I put more emphasis on lifting?

Bonus Protein Shake recipie(2 servings):
4 scoops protein powder
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1 bananna
2 tablespoons peanut butter(or exactly one glob)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

blend, chill, drink w/multivitamin before & after workout session. When I finish this thing, I'm not hungry for a long time :D plus, it's delicious.

Omne

Banned
God's Beard said:
Man, you guys are way ahead of me! I can barely deadlift 240lbsx5x3 :lol

Great tips on running BTW, I've been jogging an hour every day for the last couple months and wondering why my legs are getting smaller. Plus, it tendon in my right knee hurts when I get to the 4th/5th mile now, so I think I've been doing this wrong.

I'm lucky enough to have a whole gym in my garage, coutesy of my dad's old equipment, I've got mats, a treadmill, 5/6 barbells of varying shapes & sizes, 4-6 dumbells, about 500lbs of plates, an adjustable incline bench, pull-down machine and one of those big pullup things with the handles for dips. :D It's time to start the serious lifting. My arms are sooo tiny :p

My usual schedule:

Although, if I do HIIT, that cardio's gonna change. Should I put more emphasis on lifting?

Bonus Protein Shake recipie(2 servings):
4 scoops protein powder
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1 bananna
2 tablespoons peanut butter(or exactly one glob)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

blend, chill, drink w/multivitamin before & after workout session. When I finish this thing, I'm not hungry for a long time :D plus, it's delicious.

Take at least one day off. Your body will thank you for it.

After 10 months of working out and eating right I've knocked off about 110 pounds. I went from 321 lbs to 210 lbs. Here are some before and after pics. I did this by eating healthy and walking. No jogging routine, and I did not stick to any weight lifting plan. I just walked 45 minutes everyday at a comfortable 2.5 mph. I tossed out the junk food and soda. I began to eat salads and other healthy options. I have only drank water and juice since I started the new lifestyle on September 25th 2007.

It was a GAF thread from last year that I have to thank for my motivation (and my doctors telling me I should lose weight after having back surgery). Someone wanted GAF'ers who were trying to lose weight to keep a journal of their weight loss to help motivate others. I stuck to that journal and it really worked well for me.

Before at roughly 310 pounds.
l_69ab0c3f5660c158f38eeefb68331513.jpg

After at 210 pounds.
standingtall.jpg

Not the best picture, but it's hard to get a self portrait that is showing your upper body.

Now my plan is to begin to do some strength training and get some muscle definition.

onemic said:
Okay when I was buying some Fresca, a random woman came up to me stating all these alleged facts about aspartame, like how it's used as poison to kill ants, how it changes your DNA, slows your metabolism, kills your liver and kidneys, and a bunch of other stuff. Is all of this true? If so, I'm going to stop buying anything diet.

Aspartame may be dangerous to people with phenylketonuria (PKU). Equal is the commerical product that aspartame is found in, by the way, in case any of you have PKU, though I imagine anyone with PKU already is well aware of that.

Headaches have been reported after eating aspartame, but it's not proven and only affects some people, and is only minor/temporary. Lots of anecdotal shit, but no proven studies that it is in anyway dangerous to an individual.

Mr. City said:
On a different note, I've been having a really annoying problem with my HIIT sessions. I feel a soreness in my ankles and shins. I've mentioned this before the thread and the answer was that my form was wrong.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong though. My feet always seem to come down so hard on the ground. Damn these flat feet.

Shin splints? I had them, and man do they suck. If pushed too hard for too long, they can turn into more serious injuries. Form and equipment (shoes, socks) can be a welcoming environment for shin splints. The only thing I ever did to help deal with them was cut down how much running I did; I started by jumping in with 4-5 days a week of running, but I cut it down to 3-4 and then worked my way back up to 4-5+. This was all before I switched to HIIT, which has been much nicer to my shins.

If it isn't shin splints, I have no idea what it could be.

dabig2

God's Beard said:
My usual schedule:

That's a lot of working out there. Way too much cardio IMO. If you're looking to get bigger, maybe try MWF: Lifting and T,TH,Sat for HIIT. So you basically alternate lifting and cardio/HIIT. Trust me, it may seem like you're not getting enough done per day, but let me tell you it's pretty damn grueling!

And it's efficient, moreso than the workload you're putting on your body with the former schedule. Body can't grow when it's continually being worked like a slave!

And congrats to you nastynate409. That's a pretty awesome achievement there. Bonus being you look prime for some heavy cutting with weights. And also a good reminder for people (America in general) that the first step into getting in shape is just to diet right and get active a little.

Jirotrom

nastynate409 said:
After 10 months of working out and eating right I've knocked off about 110 pounds. I went from 321 lbs to 210 lbs. Here are some before and after pics. I did this by eating healthy and walking. No jogging routine, and I did not stick to any weight lifting plan. I just walked 45 minutes everyday at a comfortable 2.5 mph. I tossed out the junk food and soda. I began to eat salads and other healthy options. I have only drank water and juice since I started the new lifestyle on September 25th 2007.

It was a GAF thread from last year that I have to thank for my motivation (and my doctors telling me I should lose weight after having back surgery). Someone wanted GAF'ers who were trying to lose weight to keep a journal of their weight loss to help motivate others. I stuck to that journal and it really worked well for me.

l_69ab0c3f5660c158f38eeefb68331513.jpg

After at 210 pounds.
standingtall.jpg

Not the best picture, but it's hard to get a self portrait that is showing your upper body.

Now my plan is to begin to do some strength training and get some muscle definition.
Congrats, alot of folks fail to realize calorie intake is very important, not taken in more than you need, you basically curbed it by getting rid of your high calorie foods, good job man.

aznpxdd

nastynate409 said:

[im]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x195/nastynate409/l_69ab0c3f5660c158f38eeefb68331513.jpg[/img]

After at 210 pounds.
[im]http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x195/nastynate409/standingtall.jpg[/img]

Congrats man, it takes some strong will power to go that long without touching junk food.

zhenming

Some tips that have helped me go from 150 to 125 in a month, can't apply to everyone, but helps...

- actually drinking lots of water non-stop like going to bathroom ever 30mins, its a hassle, but water keeps you hydrated, healthy, and makes you want to get up off that couch to go to the bathroom unless you can hold it for like forever... For the people with acne, it actually helps a lot too

- do some easy jogging, running, swimming, or jumprope if you don't want to leave the house. I myself did running for an easy 2-4 days a week depending on the season for 20-60mins each time. try to keep the same momentum so your body dosent have to strain every time you change speeds.

- if it helps listen to your favorite music, it gets me pumped.

- after working out you might feel really really hunger, so try to eat some healthy filling foods.

- a lot of people here want to lose weight, but all they do in the gym is lift, but muscle is not going to show up if you just lift, theres still that layer of fat you need to get rid of.

- to the people who get aches after they work out, or strains, be sure youre doing it right if not it could have long term implications if you dont save yourself...

- many people look at the back of food and look only at the fat when its mainly about calories. high calories turns out to be fat or something to that extent, you need to burn more calories than you eat when trying to lose weight, thus running, etc... helps.

- skip the junk food, you can eat meat, but remember to work it off

- eggs help with muscle growth like a lot don;t worry about cholesterol when youre young...

- I'm currently keeping my running schedule, and eating everything except junk foods, and I still keep my figure. So I believe in exercise over diet. and I DON'T believe in those pills or drinks, whatever.

- working off the fat makes your muscle show up better. so I first ran then started push ups and sit ups, and all that jazz.

I know some of you might disagree, but it helped me lose 25 in time for the beach, so it should help at least someone...

Good job to all the inspirational people here. Its so nice to see that people are seeing results after working their asses off I know how it feels. Its like going to war and winning a victory or dying honorable next to your comrades, however way you like it..

dabig2 said:
That's a lot of working out there. Way too much cardio IMO. If you're looking to get bigger, maybe try MWF: Lifting and T,TH,Sat for HIIT. So you basically alternate lifting and cardio/HIIT. Trust me, it may seem like you're not getting enough done per day, but let me tell you it's pretty damn grueling!

And it's efficient, moreso than the workload you're putting on your body with the former schedule. Body can't grow when it's continually being worked like a slave!
Ok, I'll try that. It's going to be interesting trying to get over running every day. Should I split up the core excersizes or do them on the same day? It's kinda hard doing squats, lunges and deadlifts on the same day...

Should I keep doing pushups and situps every day, or should I lump them in the lifting days? Should I throw yoga in with HIIT, or keep doing that every day as part of my streching routine?

Jesus. NastyNate, you're a hero. It took me about that long to go from 240 to 180, got me beat. I got tempted by Pizza...

aznpxdd

zhenming said:
Some tips that have helped me go from 150 to 125 in a month, can't apply to everyone, but helps...

stuff

Good job to all the inspirational people here. Its so nice to see that people are seeing results after working their asses off I know how it feels. Its like going to war and winning a victory or dying honorable next to your comrades, however way you like it..

Damn, 125? How tall are you? 125 to me is a bag of bones...

I_D

zhenming said:
125 is pretty good for someone at 5 8 :(

I'm 5'10 and 125lbs would be stick-thin for me; though I have a naturally stocky body type (I love my broad chest, but damn it makes abs hard to show up).

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Sheeeit.

I just measure my height at the gym, and realized that I am 6'6 in shoes, not 6'5 :lol

Also, weighed in at 179lbs. Getting closer and closer to my goal.

Tonight's workout session went a lot better than last time, and I even did my squats at a higher weight without too much trouble. The last few reps were tough, but I pulled through.

winnarps

Should I be feeling sore the day after the Rippetoe workout schedule I'm on?

More specifically, I feel like my workouts are hard when I'm doing them, but I haven't ever felt sore afterwards besides my abs from the ab work I do.

My arms are a bit jelly today from the Military Presses I did yesterday, and I can feel only a very small burn in my thighs from the squats, but other than that I'm not sore at all. Doing squats only hurts my neck some because of holding the bar tight to my lower neck/shoulders. I'm surprised that my ass doesn't hurt and with the very minimal burn in my thighs.

It might be the weight I'm using on the bar. I started out with 95lbs (incl. bar) for bench press/squats/military press/pendlay rows and 115lbs for deadlift. When I alternate these, I'm adding 5-10 lbs (mostly just 5 to keep the progress steady but small).

The only short-term effect I've noticed is that my posture while sitting has changed. I tend to sit up straight more and it feels like my torso in general is a lot more 'solid'.

yacobod

Banned
JB1981 said:

Today was flat bench day. I took 4 days off the gym because I just came off being sick and my lower back has really hurt me lately.

5x5

I think I waste a lot of energy doing the lower weight for high reps. I need to break through this wall.

simple answer put on some body weight

either that or train with higher weight and lower reps

3x3 or 5x5

you're 5x5 might be pushing it if you can't do 225 for 5

Omne

Banned
winnarps said:

More specifically, I feel like my workouts are hard when I'm doing them, but I haven't ever felt sore afterwards besides my abs from the ab work I do.

My arms are a bit jelly today from the Military Presses I did yesterday, and I can feel only a very small burn in my thighs from the squats, but other than that I'm not sore at all. Doing squats only hurts my neck some because of holding the bar tight to my lower neck/shoulders. I'm surprised that my ass doesn't hurt and with the very minimal burn in my thighs.

It might be the weight I'm using on the bar. I started out with 95lbs (incl. bar) for bench press/squats/military press/pendlay rows and 115lbs for deadlift. When I alternate these, I'm adding 5-10 lbs (mostly just 5 to keep the progress steady but small).

The only short-term effect I've noticed is that my posture while sitting has changed. I tend to sit up straight more and it feels like my torso in general is a lot more 'solid'.

It's really normal to be sore, especially if you just started a workout routine. When you do things differently, whether it be doing new exercises, changing weight, changing intensity, etc., your body begins to devote more muscle fibers to the workout. Your body needs time to adapt to what you're making it do. Eventually the soreness will go away.

Also, high protein intake helps to curb soreness.

dmann

winnarps said:

Usually means you had a good workout the day before, keep at it. If you're not feeling sore the day after then you need to work harder during you workout.

I usually feel tightness in my thighs and butt from doing squats. You start to definately feel it when you make a trip up or down a flight of stairs.

DSWii60

Omne said:

Thanks. I'm not sure I could do all of that, but I'll definitely try some of it out. The problem I have with HIIT is that my treadmill only goes upto 8.8mph so although at the moment I can run only about 2-3 minutes at that speed (yes, that's how much I suck at running), soon I won't be able to do it.

lil smoke

Banned
dmann said:
Usually means you had a good workout the day before, keep at it. If you're not feeling sore the day after then you need to work harder during you workout.

I usually feel tightness in my thighs and butt from doing squats. You start to definately feel it when you make a trip up or down a flight of stairs.
That's generally how I feel too, but lately, after some discussion here... I've decided that I can go without working that hard every workout. Like today, I felt fatigued, but not tight at all.

Sometimes, it's not good to be too sore. What if some shit goes down, and you need to defend yourself, and you're too tight to move? :lol I dunno I always consider that what if...

dabig2

God's Beard said:
Ok, I'll try that. It's going to be interesting trying to get over running every day. Should I split up the core excersizes or do them on the same day? It's kinda hard doing squats, lunges and deadlifts on the same day...

Right now I follow a Rippetoe/Stronglifts hybrid program, where I end up doing at least 2 core exercises on the same day. So on 1 day, it's squats + deadlifts. On another day it's front squats + Powercleans. And then on another day it's squats + lunges.

And yes, I love squats :)

God's Beard said:
Should I keep doing pushups and situps every day, or should I lump them in the lifting days? Should I throw yoga in with HIIT, or keep doing that every day as part of my streching routine?

I do crunches and pushups everyday. Though on my non-workout days, I try not to go too crazy with them (15 reps for each before and after I do HIIT). I think doing yoga every day for a stretching routine is great too. And well, it's just good for the body to do every day ;)

Ace 8095

JB1981 said:

5x5

It might be that you can still add weight to the bench every time you bench. If that’s the case the go with 3x5. If you’re only able to add weight to the bar in a weekly basis following the 5x5 on Monday 3x3 on Friday madcow style routine might be the best. What I would do is follow you plan except go with 3x5. It harder to get stuck on 3x5 than 5x5 so it always best to follow 3x5 if you can still make linear progress. Also don't be afraid to make 2.5 or even 1.25 pound jumps. If you started today benching 220 and added only 1.25 pounds, you would be benching 317.5 in one year.

Ace 8095

winnarps said:

As long as your adding weight to the bar, you’re following the program correctly and no amount of soreness can say otherwise. I would suggest adding 15-20 pounds to your deadlift each time, 10 pounds to your squat, and 5 to the others. Also you will soon be unable to add 5 pounds each time, so I suggest making some of these http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/Topics/Microloading.htm

winnarps

Ace 8095 said:
As long as your adding weight to the bar, you’re following the program correctly and no amount of soreness can say otherwise. I would suggest adding 15-20 pounds to your deadlift each time, 10 pounds to your squat, and 5 to the others. Also you will soon be unable to add 5 pounds each time, so I suggest making some of these http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/Topics/Microloading.htm

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do this. Add a bit more than usual to the bar until it becomes a lot harder. And then move forward with the microweights.

Boogie said:
WTF do you mean, "pretty good"? I'm 5'8" and 180lbs.
Same, 5'9" and 180.

Dabig said:
Right now I follow a Rippetoe/Stronglifts hybrid program, where I end up doing at least 2 core exercises on the same day. So on 1 day, it's squats + deadlifts. On another day it's front squats + Powercleans. And then on another day it's squats + lunges.

And yes, I love squats :)

I do crunches and pushups everyday. Though on my non-workout days, I try not to go too crazy with them (15 reps for each before and after I do HIIT). I think doing yoga every day for a stretching routine is great too. And well, it's just good for the body to do every day ;)
Ok, sounds good, today's HIIT day one, wish me luck :p

Omne

Banned
God's Beard said:
OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK GUYS WHAT THE FUCK AHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY LEGS IS LIKE LINGUINI WHAT THE FUCK

15 minutes of hell...

That's exactly how they should feel! Good job. :lol

JB1981

so i've had some lower back issues for a while now. never really had anything diagnosed but my lower back area has always been very tender and i would occasionally get shooting pains down my legs. well, i finally did it.

I almost can't even sit in this chair right now. I absolutely blew my back out doing deadlifts today. I almost feel like a cripple. It wasn't even like I pulled something duringi the workout ..... I think I have just aggravated whatever was bothering me so dramatically that .. i mean... I don't even know. I can hardly walk. I don't think I will be able to go to work tomorrow, even. I am so pissed right now. This is going to set me back big time, I'm afraid. I only deadlifted 225 today (and it was heavy for me) but shit ... this is just horrible. I am in so much pain right now. I can't even do simple things like drag my body out of bed. I am icing on and off for 20 minutes and I'm going to take some advil but this is BAD. FUCK ME

I read all the thread (all 105 pages of it, without the OP) and I am motivated to become a whole lot stronger and stronger

I am around 1.74 (around 5' 9") and my weight has drifted from 74 kg (163 lb) last year to up to 81 kg (178 lbs) when I used to go to the gym like 4 years ago down to 74kg again and up to 81 kg of fat last may.

I went to America for an exchange program and the last month was hell for me, I grew stomach and my pants almost didn't fit by the end of the program! Talk about junk food.

I am back in Mexico and I decided I wanted no more of that fat, my family has a long story of diabetes and I want none of that, plus I've worked out before so how hard could it be?

I went jogging, distance first, from 2km then to 3km and then doing speed, 5 track laps (2.25 km) in 9 minutes.

I have lost about 5 kg (right now I am 77'ish) but already went down to 31 waist pants, feels awesome!

The thing is, I want to become stronger but I've yet to find a Gym that caters to the training that you guys propose

I was thinking of doing this routine:
Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Tuesday
HiIT that I currently do at the local track
-Track sprint
-Stairs up and down
-10 pushups
-20 declined abs
4 reps, no rest, to the max (last Tuesday I really couldn't really do the last sprint so much as jog it so that's my goal)

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Thursday
Same HiIT as Tuesday

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

My diet is very very diverse, basically it is:
Breakfasts: Eggs, tortillas, beans, cheese or beef, with tomato sauce and chile. I don't usually eat ALL of this together, but most Mexican breakfasts are a mix of the previous ingredients. Milk most of the time.

Snacks: Some seeds or sandwich and fruits. Lots of fruits >_<

Meals: I eat a variety of Fish, Beef and chicken with lots of veggies and fruits with corn tortillas sometimes. I must remark that I eat fish about 3 or 4 times a week. I eat hamburgers about once a month, pizza about once a once or twice a month and pasta once a week or less.

Snack: Bananas or a yogurt

Dinner: Quesadillas (corn tortilla with melted cheese) or cereal or 3 tacos (flour tortilla with carne asada, onion and coriander with lemon, and sauce made of tomato, onion, chile and avocado), these are smaller than American STUFF IT ALL INSIDE TACOS.

Drinks: We always prepare fruit drinks at home, banana juice, apple juice, orange juice, watermelon juice, cucumber juice. Almost no sugar, we get tons of fruits so we make the most out of them. I drink lots of water. I consume soda about 5 or 6 times a week, not much not everyday and I don't specially care for them.

I concede that I drink on weekends, about a six pack per night two nights a week (fri's and sat's usually). I don't go out most weekends and sometimes I don't drink at all so itf luctuates. I drink mostly beer.

Things I've learned from these thread

1- Most gym instructors know jack and shit. I've learned this the hard way!
2- You can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, which is what I am trying to achieve
3- Machines are for pussies. I don't want to be a pussy
4- It doesn't take that much of an effort! 3 days a week? I used to go daily to the gym, what a chore and with worse results
5- I want to get started as soon as I can afford the down payment, say Monday

So to end this, my goals are:
-Lose fat, I still have some belly
-Gain muscle

Somebody illustrated this as a pendulum kind of analogy. I am perfectly fine by being in the middle of it.

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom