• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official January NPD 2007 Prediction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
GhaleonEB said:
There WAS another company - PC Data. NPD purchased them to eliminate the competition. For a while, PC Data was releasing weekly sales charts (sans numbers), and NPD started doing the same. Then NPD bought PC Data out, and *poof* the weekly charts disappeared. (I used to write for a gaming site when we got the charts.)

Damn, scumbags. My one dream would be for Sales-Age to rise up and create a company that would do number collecting better than the NPD, but that's reaching, I know.

Billy Rygar said:
NPD tracks much, much, much more than video game sales.

I know this. It still doesn't discount the fact that their video game sales tracking leaves something to be desired.

GhaleonEB

duderon said:
Damn, scumbags. My one dream would be for Sales-Age to rise up and create a company that would do number collecting better than the NPD, but that's reaching, I know.
Here's an example of the kind of weekly news stories that used to come out from PC Data. (From a quick google search.)

I know this. It still doesn't discount the fact that their video game sales tracking leaves something to be desired.
Head over to their website. It's hard to even find the gaming section. They are teh huge.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Never done this so I'll be way off, but I'm bored, so it sounds like fun:

WII 565,200
NDS 650,500
360 460,090
PS2 395,010
PS3 251,338
PSP 190,000
GBA 320,000
GCN 4,100
XBX 3,000

This doesn't count used system sales does it?

methane47

bunkum said:
Well I have a reply but as its related to NPD don't want to get a ban and broadcast details

SPILL THE BEANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or you can PM me the info and I'll spill the beans for you... I'll happily take a ban in the quest for knowledge

ZeoVGM

Banned
bunkum said:
Well I have a reply but as its related to NPD don't want to get a ban and broadcast details

Uh, I don't think you'd get banned for saying if it's coming today or Tuesday.

Jeez.

methane47

cvxfreak said:
laughingdq.gif

:lol :lol

HyperionX

Jokeropia said:
Yes I do. It's an unwarranted discreditation of the person instead of the argument. Like I said above however, I'd argue that the discreditation was warranted.

No, any argument against the person instead of the position is an ad hominem.

Sorry, but no they're not. That's like me saying I predict 2,000,000 Wiis for January NPD and saying it's as credible as anyone else's. Or 250 million Wiis sold lifetime total.

All I predicted was PS3 victory and eventual Wii cancellation. Since when is that an impossibility?

Out of curiosity, do you also believe PSP is bound to make a comeback against the DS?

I was one of the first to predict DS victory when people were expecting PSP victory. Kinda like how things are now.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
HyperionX said:
All I predicted was PS3 victory and eventual Wii cancellation. Since when is that an impossibility?

I was one of the first to predict DS victory when people were expecting PSP victory. Kinda like how things are now.

Nothing is impossible. His statement of 250 million Wiis selling has just as much credibility as you saying it will be canceled.

Good job on the prediction, are we supposed to grovel now?

HyperionX said:
How do you define "cancel"? I assume it doesn't involve time traveling androids preventing its release.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
After getting banned for making a very obscure comment about how many PS3 titles appeared in the top w/e by Mr. SonyCowboy, I can back bunkum up and tell you all to stop asking him. You'll only get one of our greatest contributers banned again, so other kids can revel in their red names and press releases. The big boys know what's up.

It will be out when its out. Enjoy Media-Create hardware numbers tonight.

Xeke

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
:lol

I got banned a little while ago for simply saying "Free Bunkum" as a joke. Gaf is serious business.

Well thats because "Free Bunkum" was copyrighted...

PantherLotus said:
After getting banned for making a very obscure comment about how many PS3 titles appeared in the top w/e by Mr. SonyCowboy, I can back bunkum up and tell you all to stop asking him. You'll only get one of our greatest contributers banned again, so other kids can revel in their red names and press releases. The big boys know what's up.

It will be out when its out. Enjoy Media-Create hardware numbers tonight.

Yup, Bunkum's stuck his neck out enough for us already. I don't blame him at all for not divulging anything related to NPD. It's ridiculous that it had to come to that, but there's not much we can do. Hell, even complaining about it could likely get someone a ban on here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
btw, I am not a part of this anti-Gaf/pro bunkum clique. Just in case the ban stick gets pulled out here. :lol

My comment was independent of this whining.

Jokeropia

HyperionX said:
No, any argument against the person instead of the position is an ad hominem.
Here's an article with some nice information about the subject:
Ad hominem circumstantial

Ad hominem circumstantial involves pointing out that someone is in circumstances such that he is disposed to take a particular position. Essentially, ad hominem circumstantial constitutes an attack on the bias of a person. The reason that this is fallacious is that pointing out that one's opponent is disposed to make a certain argument does not make the argument, from a logical point of view, any less credible; this overlaps with the genetic fallacy (an argument that a claim is incorrect due to its source). Noting the opponent's bias is not necessarily irrational, but neither is it strictly correct according to logic. This illustrates one of the differences between rationality and logic.
Examples:

"Tobacco company representatives are wrong when they say smoking doesn't seriously affect your health, because they're just defending their own multi-million-dollar financial interests."

"He's physically addicted to nicotine. Of course he defends smoking!”

Of course, such statements could also be reworded to avoid the logical fallacy:

"Tobacco company representatives may be biased when they say smoking doesn't seriously affect your health, because of their own multi-million-dollar financial interests. Thus, such statements may be wishful thinking, or even outright lies, on their part."

"He's physically addicted to nicotine. Therefore, his defense of smoking may be biased."
So if I just elaborate upon my original statement like "HyperionX might be biased against Nintendo judging by the prediction that Wii will suddenly bomb", any potential fallacy is avoided.

Christ, what a pointless argument.
HyperionX said:
You predicted Wii to be canceled in Japan before Xbox 360. Hell, for Wii to even lose to PS3 something unprecedended has to happen. If there is a sound basis for such a prediction, I'd sure like to hear it.
HyperionX said:
Except that DS was never behind at any point in any territory and never lost as badly in weekly sales as the PS3 is doing.

Cheeto

Flo_Evans said:
how on earth am I going to justify my disposable income expenditures without NPD data to back them up?!
Easy. Just claim that everything you didn't buy has "plastic" graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom