• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official TGS 2006 Summary Megathread

8bit

Knows the Score
Dammit, why is Yie Ar Kung Fu Japan exclusive? It's pretty much the only one I'd want of that lot.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
f***, no re5 yet.
i'm going to sit in the corner and twiddle my thumbs for a few hours.
let me know when the zombies show up.

u_neek

Somebody better make a huge TGS summary with videos, screens and announcements 'cause I'll be in London all weekend and probably won't have time for GAF :(

X26 said:
36hrs until kenny k starts dropping bombs

Since we all know how Kenny K operates... here are some predictions from his speech

1. PS3 channels (news, weather, messageboard, disc)

2. will come in gloss white only, and the disc loading area will have a neon blue light around it.

3. will come packed with PS3 sports (boxing, baseball, golf, bowling, and tennis)

Since we all know that Sony has no original idea's left, I am sure they will stand their with their smug little faces and showcase things that the PS3 can do, that has just been showcased by M$ and Nintendo.

u_neek

... take some more features out and announce Found Odyssey and that the new Super Premium Pack ($699) will include Soo Sports.

BuddyC

Amir0x said:
● KINGDOM HEARTS II may have already released worldwide to spectacularly high sales numbers, but that doesn't mean Square should stop whoring it. Because now they announced KINGDOM HEARTS II: FINAL MIX, which will include a fully 3D and voiced remake of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories from GBA. Yup.

I am both filled with glee and horror. Bring this to America Square Enix. YOU NEED TO.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
KH: KM contains the entire Chain of Memories game? In full 3D?

That isn't a 'remix'... thats an entire new game. Woa.
Are the two on the same disc? Am I wrong here, or is that totally wild?

BuddyC

John Harker said:
KH: KM contains the entire Chain of Memories game? In full 3D?

That isn't a 'remix'... thats an entire new game. Woa.
Are the two on the same disc? Am I wrong here, or is that totally wild?
I'm waiting on more details myself, but it honestly isn't that far-fetched. Assuming it stays completely true to the original, all the assets are there, the randomly-generated areas would just use the textures and geometry from the first two games. All the character models can be reused as well, and the script's already done. And if they're simply reusing the design of the original without adding any extra card or battle techniques, there's really no additional playtesting or balancing to be done.

Also encouraging is this IGN report from last week, which makes mention of "a card battle system of some form" in Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix. Hopefully we'll get more info soon.

John Harker

BuddyC said:
I'm waiting on more details myself, but it honestly isn't that far-fetched. Assuming it stays completely true to the original, all the assets are there, the randomly-generated areas would just use the textures and geometry from the first two games. All the character models can be reused as well, and the script's already done. And if they're simply reusing the design of the original without adding any extra card or battle techniques, there's really no additional playtesting or balancing to be done.

Also encouraging is this IGN report from last week, which makes mention of "a card battle system of some form" in Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix. Hopefully we'll get more info soon.

Wasn't there also a mag scan last week that had a picture of a battle scene with Sora, but appeard to contain a deck of cards?

BuddyC

John Harker said:
Wasn't there also a mag scan last week that had a picture of a battle scene with Sora, but appeard to contain a deck of cards?
Yup, I think it was last week's Jump.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is Sony's real chance. After all the hyping last night, if they really and truly deliver on hype, then Sony is going to walk out of TGS glowing.

If they don't deliver, they are going to have major, major problems.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This is Sony's real chance. After all the hyping last night, if they really and truly deliver on hype, then Sony is going to walk out of TGS glowing.

Well they've had several good announcements already. New L5 game and NG. The biggest of which should be held back for the conference if tehre are any.

IJoel

Sony will simply devour MS, after MS' incredibly terrible conference.

On a side note, I can't get over how beautiful Blue Dragon looks. Xboxyde has a really great video of the trailer and it's just stunning and amazingly charming.

jjasper

IJoel said:
Sony will simply devour MS, after MS' incredibly terrible conference.

On a side note, I can't get over how beautiful Blue Dragon looks. Xboxyde has a really great video of the trailer and it's just stunning and amazingly charming.

I really don't see why everyone thinks MS had a bad confrence. They have their own convention next week. They had a very Japanese centeric confrence that showed off games they want to push in Japan (all of which look excellent). I think this is just backlash from Stinkles, Arne, Che, megaton, and jellybeans.

Edit: Without RE5 though, it leaves the possiblity of the Sony megaton.

IJoel

jjasper said:
I really don't see why everyone thinks MS had a bad confrence. They have their own convention next week. They had a very Japanese centeric confrence that showed off games they want to push in Japan (all of which look excellent). I think this is just backlash from Stinkles, Arne, Che, megaton, and jellybeans.

Edit: Without RE5 though, it leaves the possiblity of the Sony megaton.

Nah, it's really no backlash. MS didn't announce a single new thing, other than those XBLA titles. I guess the expectation was that they'd at least try in Japan, but it seems they are giving up and letting it go. The only great thing out of the conference was the BD and LO footage, and that's it. But since we already knew about those, well, it's just nowhere near enough. The 1080p announcement is definitely a non-issue (sorry Shane, I know you have this one trademarked.) :p

Bulla564

Banned
TGS for Sony is the venue for them vindicate all these months of bad press. With that said, it won't take much for Sony to overshadow everything else at TGS.

p.s. I will shed a tear if we don't see Silent Hill 5 anywhere

Dahbomb

Wow Microsoft has definitely stepped up their game in the Japanese front. They still want a fighting chance there...

Mrbob

After everything that is happened since E3, I can't believe both MS and Nintendo dropped the ball to the point where Sony can take charge again with an awesome TGS showing!

Speaking of TGS, some Famitsu PS3 scans popped up. Let us get the hype train rolling. :D

MGS4

9bac9720b1.jpg

40f7c00416.jpg

Ninja Gaiden Sigma (PS3)

154cea00ef.jpg

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Mrbob said:
MGS4 pics
OH TEH NOES! MGS PLAYS JUST LIKE KILL.SWITCH!

Nice find! Looks good, I wonder if that MGS camera angle is just for hiding beind objects and aiming/firing, or if it's the "default" camera view now? Looks very RE4/GRAW/GoW-like.

^EDIT: n/m, just noticed the screenshot of what appears to be in a cathedral, which shows a more "classic", pulled-back camera view. *whew* Sneaking/exploration woulda been a pain with a GRAW-esque zoomed-in camera during regular gameplay. hypehypehypehype!

Has there been any other media showing gameplay up until now? I only recall cinematics in previous trailers.

Mrbob

White Knight Story (Level 5 RPG for PS3)

SoTC style battles of an unprecedented scale + action/rpg FTW!!!

337d4c6fa3.jpg

301a0bc37d.jpg

Thanks to Chittagong for all these pics! If this is a taste of what Sony has instore for the PS3 at TGS, the system is gonna pwn me for the next 10 years!

jjasper

Amir0x said:
Well I updated with the latest that I can see, if I missed anything feel free to point it out.

GT:HD Preimum? Is the only thing I can think of. But we really don't know much about it.

John Harker

What's the rest of the agenda now? When are all the other pre-show conferences - when can we expect floodages opened?

Mrbob

John Harker said:
What's the rest of the agenda now? When are all the other pre-show conferences - when can we expect floodages opened?

Friday morning I suspect with KK's keynote.

John Harker

Mrbob said:
Friday morning I suspect with KK's keynote.

That's what I figured, but don't individual publishers give confrences? Or are they expected to be tight-lipped till after KK?

jjasper

Amir0x said:
oh why did you have to remind me about that game? :(

:lol Because after reading this there is a small chance it might be something more than a 1080p port

Gran Turismo HD

# The track "Eiger Nordwand" is in Famitsu
# full online functions (U.S. & Japan)
# weather is changing

# 'GT HD Premium' uses the full power of PS3
# 'GT HD Classic' uses GTHD (the E3 version) graphics/engine, online enabled
# download content
A car Yen 50 (Euro 0,33 / USD 0,42) - Yen 100 (Euro 0,66 / USD 0,84)
A track Yen 200 (Euro 1,32 / USD 1,68) bis Yen 500 (Euro 3,30 / USD 4,20).

Edit: :lol Nevermind, just went and check out the other thread, GT:HD has no hope

Tr4nce

Damn, Amirox. I've been around here for not even a full year, but I already know you rock. Your threads are always great.

Thanks for updating the 1st post during TGS.

Cheers

EDIT: BIG HOLY SHIT AT THE LEVEL 5 RPG 'WHITE KNIGHT'. That game feels MAGICAL already. Dayaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn I want this.:D :D :D :D

mollipen

Amir0x said:
● WORLD: XBLA is updating with many new titles including Yie Ar Kung Fu, along with Rush'n Attack, Ms. Pac-Man, and New Rally X. However, Yie Ar Kung Fu is exclusive to Japan. (A)

When I read this, I though that this meant that the games were all hitting today. I got very excited. I then realized that I was probably mis-reading it, and I cried.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After Rogue Galaxy, it's difficult for me to become excited by White Knight, to be honest. I'm hoping they finally move away from random-quality dungeons.

Who took those pictures, though? Trying to read the scans is killing my eyes. It's like one of those pictures you stare at in order to see a 3D image or something.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

If they don't deliver, they are going to have major, major problems.

Yup the hype in a GAF thread is really going to send the PS3 Roller Coaster soaring from the plummeting it has been doing lately.

IJoel said:
Nah, it's really no backlash. MS didn't announce a single new thing, other than those XBLA titles. I guess the expectation was that they'd at least try in Japan, but it seems they are giving up and letting it go. The only great thing out of the conference was the BD and LO footage, and that's it. But since we already knew about those, well, it's just nowhere near enough. The 1080p announcement is definitely a non-issue (sorry Shane, I know you have this one trademarked.) :p

I disagree. For the TGS MS has to concentrate on what these people on the show floor are going to get to try. It has been a year almost for the 360. They have to let Japanese gamers play games meant for them and meant for them soon. Not simply announcements.

bishoptl said:
301a0bc37d.jpg

Good gravy.

That one shot actually explains the translation I read which is that one of the towns atleast takes place on the back of one of the giant monsters. It'll be rather cool to see how that looks when you're in the town and its still moving.

IJoel

KeithFranklin said:
I disagree. For the TGS MS has to concentrate on what these people on the show floor are going to get to try. It has been a year almost for the 360. They have to let Japanese gamers play games meant for them and meant for them soon. Not simply announcements.

Exclusive agreements and a well presence on the showfloor aren't mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom