• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
PewDiePie called another player "fucking nigger" in PUBG.

After a couple of days, he's posted the following response to the controversy surrounding his actions (which was picked up widely by mainstream media):

https://youtu.be/cLdxuaxaQwc

Article that contains most of the transcript for those not wanting to click through: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ologises-racial-slur-im-just-an-idiot-youtube

A Personal Opinion About Apologies:
Apologies are good, but in themselves are not enough. If you apologize and then do the thing you apologized before again, or something similar, then the apology meant nothing, because you learned nothing.

So, for me, while the apology seemed reasonably sincere (opinions will vary on this), the question is what he will do in the future.

Moderator Note About This Thread:
Feel free to discuss this, but I'm not interested in seeing people who have a different take on the apology go to war and act like jerks to each other. If I see a lot of that, I'll throw you into the sun and close the thread. I've frankly had enough of moderating this issue.

A Special Note to New Contributors:
We love our new members. That said, no one can miss the pattern of newly minted juniors leaping into the most contentious threads on the forum with opinions that seem to come straight off 4chan. We see you. We have no compunction about ejecting you. As always, junior bans are permanent, so be very sure this is a conversation you want to leap into before you post.

kmax

"Apologies" don't mean anything if you haven't learned the lessons of your mistakes.

Stop talking the talk, PewDiePie - walk the walk.

It took him 2 days to address it, I think it sounds like a pr company wrote it, and the way it is edited makes it look like he spent all afternoon trying to grind his way through it.

Plus he monetized the apology video.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Im probably naive etc. but i dont know the dude good enough to condemn him forever for something like this. So i just hope this apology is sincere and he and at least some of his fans/followers can learn from it. There isnt much more to say for me..

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Doesn't feel sincere, especially since he's had another video (the one where he goes "what a fucking ni..... ninja! ninja! yeah that's it tee hee") where he shows he clearly doesn't give a fuck.

Fuck this guy. He doesn't get the benefit of doubt.

Kebiinu

Banned
Trash apology is trash. I feel bad for anybody foolish enough to fall for his bullshit, again and again...especially if you're black or PoC.

hbkdx12

Apologies that involve apologizing for how someone else feels are seldom, if ever, genuine. In fact they're pretty condescending. Mature individuals don't phrase things "sorry if i hurt you....sorry if i offended you....etc" Your apology should revolve around your own actions regardless of how the person interpreted those actions if you truly consider your actions to be regrettable. I mean, just by virtue of the way it's worded, he's saying that im sorry that you're upset and as such had you not been upset, i wouldn't be apologizing. People shouldn't see that as an acceptable apology

kmax

What do you mean by that and what are you expecting him to do to make everything right?

I mean that he should show people that he's sincere by showing that he's truly sorry. How many "apology" videos have we seen from this guy?

Actions speak louder than words. Condemn it full stop and show that you are serious.

TheExodu5

Banned
The lack of a call to action, especially considering his large and impressionable fanbase, was a failure.

The Twitter responses to his apology make it clear his fanbase has learned nothing from this ordeal.

I don't care if he changes or not...I care that he had the opportunity to have a positive impact on his millions of followers with a true call to action and has failed to do so.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Those YouTube comments.. yeesh.

Its kinda crazy what people can post there....YR really dont give a damn. No wonder the youth is so messed up when you encounter this shit lingu 24/7 on the net.

Bishop89

Seems sincere, but if he slips up again........

And for the love of God people, please read the Mod notes in the OP before posting.

Edit: I don't follow PDP so unsure how many times he has screwed up.
If this is a repeat case, then the apology doesn't really mean much.

To those saying I was defending him in the other thread, I am not. I am just simply pointing out what many have come out and said here, anything he says is worthless because for many people he is past redemption given his past.

Beefy said:
Both. If was a shit apology, but also PDP past makes it worthless

There you go, Beefy admits it, nothing he says will do it. I'm saying why critique the apology if you know anything he says won't be good enough. Just come out and say no apology is good enough from the get go.

Marcel

PDP will be able to minimize the damage to himself with that apology but you'd be naive to think this isn't going to influence advertisers to further move away from the Youtube platform.

What do you mean by that and what are you expecting him to do to make everything right?

Did you even read the OP? His apology doesn't mean shit, because this isn't the first time he's been in the news for saying shit like this. The fact that this keeps happening despite him apologizing each time, shows how little his "apologies" matter.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
We'll see if he truly means it. Personally I've unsubscribed and will no longer watch any of his work, and won't return regardless of whether he's truly sorry.

Sephzilla

He does something offensive, apologizes, and then some time later down the line does something else offensive. For me, it's well past the point where his apologies have any kind of meaning.

This is a weak ass apology, even without factoring his past strikes.

Vinnk

Can the OP include the original video of the "slip up" so those who will be posting can see what actually happened? We had many people jumping in on the old thread without seeing the video.

True Fire

Im probably naive etc. but i dont know the dude good enough to condemn him forever for something like this. So i just hope this apology is sincere and he and at least some of his fans/followers can learn from it. There isnt much more to say for me..

How many times does he have to "learn from this" before people realize he's a perpetual shithead? After the homophobic slurs? Rape jokes? Genocide jokes? Multiple uses of the n word over the years?

Wasn't sincere. It doesnt take 2 days to drop a 90s apology that doesn't even address why what you said ia wrong or how you plan to repair the damage you've caused. Further more this is what? Chance 5? 7?

"Sorry if I offended. . ."

Fuck off

Vinc

I think it's pretty obvious- To follow through on what he says in his apology? Since it's not the first time this happens, it's a completely normal reaction to be skeptical or to not accept the apology.

MTC100

Banned
I still wonder if this was all planned by him, he comes across honest in this one video though. Either he's a PR genius or one of the dumbest persons on earth, for not being able to constrain himself when livestreaming... Whatever the case may be, people love the drama and this will surely generate a lot of clicks for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom