• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie Responds after using racial slur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero315

Banned
I'm 👏 sorry 👏 if 👏 I 👏 offended 👏 you 👏 is 👏 not 👏 a 👏 fucking 👏 apology! 👏

Also the shit he said in the very same stream contradicts shit in this "apology".

L Thammy

Crosspost from the other thread:

As for PewDiePie's response. I'd generally like to be forgiving - I had a 4chan phase that I hope I grew out of, and I hope other people can grow out of it too.

But the thing that makes me suspicious is that he's still not saying where he came from. Why was that the word he jumped to? It makes it sound like the word just popped out of the ether and into his brain. He calls it the worst word he could possibly think of. Why is that the worst word?

Okay, no excuses, that's fine. But I'm not interested in hearing you talk about how bad you feel, I want to know that you've learned from the experience and will do better. I don't think feeling bad means introspection has happened. Apologies that are centered around how bad you, the offender, feels are often the product of someone who doesn't care about anything about their own feelings.

He does acknowledge that he should have learned something from past controversies. But having looked and his Twitter and such, his attitude was that he was gloating over his controversy. He was flaunting the fact that he hadn't learned. He makes it sound like he just realized that he learned nothing, and I know he already knew he hadn't learned anything.

He denies that he thinks he can get away with saying anything at all, but that's been the core of his behaviour behind the past few controversies.

I got burned by Nick Robinson's apology, so maybe I'm being overly hard here.

BigDes

Fairly boilerplate apology speech: "Heat of the moment, I hate that I've done something that I hate seeing others do, I apologize if I've offended anybody, I need to do better for myself and my audience because I'm better than that."

Didn't come off as completely insincere but given his history with such apologies it's my concern that he (or someone else) wrote the speech to protect his livelihood and he's on his best behavior until the next time this happens. He doesn't actually address what happened specifically, he talks about it very abstractly as if he could recycle this apology for any type of misbehavior. He doesn't tackle racism per se, but 'something bad I did and I'm sorry I did the bad thing." To me that's the crux of whether or not you believe he understands why what he did was wrong.

What struck me about the video is the editing. Does he normally insert cuts after every sentence or is that unusual structure for the 'Felix talking not PewDiePie' one-on-one type videos he's released in the past?
Probably said the n word again and had to cut it out

I mean, it can just slip out like that.

Jofamo

Would he have proactively apologised if no one had noticed or picked him up on it?

No?

Then he isn't sincerely sorry.

Patrick S.

Amiga Forever
Because he used the "heated gaming moment" argument, and because it had 100 cuts dissecting everything he said and getting it approved by lawyers to slice it even more.

In an angry outburst while playing a game, or doing anything, really, "nigger" is like the last word on earth that would occur to me to be shouting at someone. There are a thousand words that would come to mind first. The fact that he had that specific word chambered and ready to fire is quite telling, moreso considering his history. His apolgy/excuse is unacceptable.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
What's this... apology #3 or #4? No thanks.

02rCE45.jpg

To those saying I was defending him in the other thread, I am not. I am just simply pointing out what many have come out and said here, anything he says is worthless because for many people he is past redemption given his past.

There you go, Beefy admits it, nothing he says will do it. I'm saying why critique the apology if you know anything he says won't be good enough. Just come out and say no apology is good enough from the get go.

Yeah, people are being really intolerant of bigots lately. It's like you can't even be prejudiced against other races without people judging you.

Nev

Banned
"I'm sorry if I offended somebody, it wasn't my intention"

Probably the most overused meaningless default garbage statement of recent times.

Platy

I am always impressed by how hard is for a celebrity to just say "I fucked up, my bad, sorry if I did something shitty" like it is always"sorry if YOU feel offended" like how much more you can distant yourself from the situation ???

Like besides Deadpool's Francis in the Hellboy movie I can't remember the last celebrity that said "my bad"

NandoGip

Meh.

Next generation in gaming is going to be so fucked up. All these kids super desensitized to racism/sexism/anti semitism. I mean, I grew up with people letting the N word/Fag/Retard fly, but never did people try to make excuses for it or even go a step beyond it to the point where they start following shit like alt-right/white supremacist propaganda.

Imagine the 8 year old who loves PDP seeing the racist/antisemist shit coming from this guys mouth. He will obv defend his idol, and by doing so he'll start to internalize all the shit he's reading excusing PDP's mistake.

sjay1994

Apology is fake as hell. He's just sorry it slipped out.

Ban this worthless assholes account already. How long is Youtube going to allow a racist, anti-semitic, homophobic piece of trash pull in millions of dollars as one of the biggest faces of the website.

Probably that

I'm not buying it even 1%. Fake apology is fake. He needs to improve his conduct and realize that he was wrong and will continue to be wrong if he doesn't.

Aside from the "sorry if I offended you" bit in the middle, it seemed sincere enough. Maybe he does realized he crossed "that" line this time.

But really, the guy is a serial offender. You know it will be something else in a few weeks time. He has already covered homophobia, racism, sexism and antisemitism so its hard to care what he says. When you are a shit human being, you are a shit human being.

The problem for me isnt PDP. I couldnt care less about what he says and his apologies for his slur of the day. What has been distressing is the reaction from a very large part of the gaming audience to try to normalize the N word.

The whole "we all use it in the heat of the moment" thing is jaw dropping to me because honest to fucking god, I didnt realize that such a large percentage of people were not only cool with using racial slurs but happily admitted using them on the internet as a badge of pride. Including a lot of people I used to quite like. :/

Eumi

Yeah he doesn't even address the problem, just says he's sorry and that he'll try to do better.

Also I love the 'Im not trying to make excuses but it was the heat of the moment'. Like, don't say you're not trying to make excuses when you are doing exactly that. The heat of the moment has nothing to do with it.

I'm sick of Pewdiepie trying to be better. I don't blame him for attempting to move past this because what exactly else can we reasonably assume the guy to do. No one is gonna willingly quit a job that makes them that much money. I'm mad at the platforms that keep him going.

YouTube, Twitch and anyone else who is hosting these people need to start regulating this shit. It's not like Pewdipie just said something dumb whilst trying to be funny, this whole scandal has been in the context of repeated, hateful behaviour from him. If anyone deserves to be shut down, it's him. He's had more than enough chances to change. He never has.

Kayant

Reposting from the other thread -

To his "apology video"(Which I haven't watched and wouldn't be)
giphy.gif

He has showed his true thoughts later on in that stream there he had his chance to apologise but instead of being sorry or "not saying it in a bad way" he says it again then tells us he knows people watching that stream don't care.

Words are Words for once. Actions over the years doesn't suggest he wants to change anytime soon.

MechaX

"it just slipped out"

Naw. Nah. Nuh uh.

C'mon, doesn't everyone unleash racial explitives after minor inconveniences at home? I'll bust out the n-word after stubbing my foot!

But seriously, given how he was like "lol no one will care" immediately afterwards, and was also "oops, forgot I was streaming and not private," PDP can absolutely miss me with this bullshit.

It's just as sincere as when JonTron tried to say that "I just didn't explain myself well enough"

CrazyHorse

Why are so many people belittling the offensiveness of that word on his comments section? And those are the most upvoted comments. What is wrong with people?

Beefy

Yup. "sorry if you get offended"
Talk of "Immature and stupid" rather than a fucking hateful word.
Edited because he can't just be sincere for a couple of minutes.

He's genuinely thinking about his dollars and nothing else. Even then, probably won't matter much. People using this as another war on people getting offended. What a trash fire. The comments show you how little the majority of his fanbase care. Extremely sad state of affairs.

The cut is so damn obvious as well.

stop fucking paying attention to this goblin. First it's rape "jokes" then it's death to all jews "jokes" and now it's "i accidentally said nigger I totally don't use that word on the daily pinky promise"

fuck this ignorant racist fuck

He can follow up this video, where he directly addresses his previous mistakes and how he said he would change, by directly talking to all of his apologists on this issue in his fanbase.

Explain WHY it isn't okay. Why he can't say the word but black folks can. Why it isn't "just a word". Why this apology isn't just to appease "the sjw". Why he, personally, needs to be better for his fanbase and for youtube as a whole. That will be a solid first step to showing he means his apology.

MTC100

Banned
after listening to that "apology" again, he is essentially apologizing for being stupid not for being racist, it's still fascinating to me how he got so successful.

Marcel

Yeah he doesn't even address the problem, just says he's sorry and that he'll try to do better.

Also I love the 'Im not trying to make excuses but it was the heat of the moment'. Like, don't say you're not trying to make excuses when you are doing exactly that. The heat of the moment has nothing to do with it.

I'm sick of Pewdiepie trying to be better. I don't blame him for attempting to move past this because what exactly else can we reasonably assume the guy to do. No one is gonna willingly quit a job that makes them that much money. I'm mad at the platforms that keep him going.

YouTube, Twitch and anyone else who is hosting these people need to start regulating this shit. It's not like Pewdipie just said something dumb whilst trying to be funny, this whole scandal has been in the context of repeated, hateful behaviour from him. If anyone deserves to be shut down, it's him. He's had more than enough chances to change. He never has.

Advertisers are already doing their jobs for them so it's obvious why Youtube and Twitch don't bother with more regulation: They can't afford it.

CrazyHorse

after listening to that "apology" again, he is essentially apologizing for being stupid not for being racist, it's still fascinating to me how he got so successful.

A lot of stupid people are successful. It's the sad truth about this world.

honestly, if that's the sort of word that just "slips out" from you, then you're almost certainly racist. When a word slips out, it's usually because that's how you actually think/feel and you just forgot to filter yourself.

ChazGW7

The apology felt some-what sincere. The future will tell whether he carries those words with meaning or not.

I think the edits are interesting.

"I know I cant keep getting away with this" was its own take.

He probably did it a few times to get the most BP im sowwy face

I noticed this too. Very likely what he was up to.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
his fanbase are most of the reason why he doesnt actually give a shit.

you people saying "it sounds sincere!", its because he worked it out with his lawyers. Its not his first offense by far, so stop pretendng like he's actually remorseful about saying something like that instead of being caught.

Kyzer

Banned
I think the edits are interesting.

"I know I cant keep getting away with this" was its own take.

He probably did it a few times to get the most BP im sowwy face

Johndoey

Banned
I mean I'm sure he's very honestly sorry he got caught saying nigger, I sure as shit don't believe he's sorry about saying it. Besides that the man is in his late twenties he knows better, how many chances to show his ass does he get?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just watched the entire thing.

While sincere, I fear he doesn't realize why in his apology he actually reveals his actual subconscious racism.

He actually said he thought of the worst possible thing to say. He admits that a racial epithet is the very worst thing he can say. In so doing so saying that in his head he knows that racist acts like this are wrong, yet he done it anyway.

He needs to address this. It should never be something that you say in the heat of the moment, just like homophobic, or sexism shouldn't be used but often is in gaming circles. We need as a gaming community to stamp this sort of thing once and for all.

We don't need handwaving, we don't need people to say "but he's a good guy" or to downplay this sort of thing any more. We as a gaming community need to directly condemn and challenge every time we hear racist, homophobic, transphobic and sexist slurs being used in the "heat of the moment". They have no place in gaming, nor society as a whole.

PDP has said he wants to learn from this. We all can contribute by vowing never to just accept this sort of thing as things said in anger. It is imperative that it is clear that these slurs are acts of hate, and we need rid of them.

Lanrutcon

Does he have any motivation to change? He gets away with things that would get normal people fired. He makes a ton of money doing it. He's pretty much got a cult for a fan base.

He'll do it again.

He can follow up this apology, where he directly addresses his previous mistakes and how he said he would change, by directly talking to all of his apologists on this issue in his fanbase.

Explain WHY it isn't okay. Why he can't say the word but black folks can. Why it isn't "just a word". Why this apology isn't just to appease "the sjw". Why he, personally, needs to be better for his fanbase and for youtube as a whole. That will be a solid first step to showing he means his apology.
Yup, could have used this a teachable moment to his young, impressionable, and racist audience. But I don't think he has learned much about the term's history and about race relations to convey that message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom