• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

Lol at the Barbary. I got into an unprovoked (by me) bar fight there last summer. A dude bumped into me pretty hard, I said "Yo dude what the fuck," he apologized and we were cool, then his friend came up to me and said "yo do you know him?" to which I said "no," then he sucker punched me in the face. For whatever reason, the rest of his crew started punching all my homies as well. They obviously got kicked out and then proceeded to wait outside the Barbary for me for TWO HOURS. As soon as I opened the door I got punched in the face again and managed to scramble to a cab nearby and nope the fuck out of there with my friends. Glad their was a cab nearby, that shit could have gotten really dangerous. What a bunch of thugs. Masculinity is the worst.

Yeah barbary sucks a lot. It didn't used to be as bad as it is now though. I never particularly liked it, but it really went down hill in the last five years. I have no idea why you didn't immediately call the police on those dudes and press charges.

royalan

Just saw two people on my Facebook post to stay away from the JFK blvd in CC from 1-6pm tomorrow? Credible threats of a riot and potential violence?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

So how much has the DNC affected everyone so far? Working in center city, the only thing that's different for me is that I got to try two new Snapple flavors.

Team Blue Tea, obviously.

vypek

So how much has the DNC affected everyone so far? Working in center city, the only thing that's different for me is that I got to try two new Snapple flavors.

I travel away from Philly for my commute to work so it doesn't seem to be affecting me yet. There were a lot of people onboard when I was riding but that might be just because I was later than usual today and it filled up fast.

I kind of want to go into Philly just to eat at food trucks that will be around. Really in the mood to go to one. Been so long since I have been in the city.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I work across from Independence Hall and today it's been fine, lots of food trucks and music going toward Penn's Landing. CNN and MSNBC are on the lawn and I think they'll be here till Sunday.

ACE 1991

I participated in the Clean Energy March yesterday and it was STUPID hot. I regret biking to city hall from Manayunk in the heat.

woodchuck

I'll be in Philly next week for a few days, staying near rittenhouse square. Are there any parks in that area (or a bike ride away) with outdoor gym equipment? Really all I need is a pull up bar so monkey bars would work too.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'll be in Philly next week for a few days, staying near rittenhouse square. Are there any parks in that area (or a bike ride away) with outdoor gym equipment? Really all I need is a pull up bar so monkey bars would work too.

You have many options but a playground...I'm drawing a blank. It's not really anything I can think of like a playground or a school w/ yard. Rittenhouse park is there but not play area since last I've been there.

gcubed

i drive up 95 from the south of philly every day. Did it today, not doing it again

esms

My very brown, very Middle Eastern cab driver said he hopes Trump wins.

So, it's been entertaining.

And y'all wonder why I don't mess with nightclubs
To be fair, I find fights don't happen anymore in clubs in the city. But that might be due to the venues I attend.
i drive up 95 from the south of philly every day. Did it today, not doing it again
I live and work in University City. I had to go downtown today to take an exam and it was fine. Although I was in Center City West at 18th and JFK. I'm going to avoid downtown until Wednesday.

Ron Mexico

The MFL seemed a little more crowded than usual this morning but still not anywhere near the worst I've seen going from 8th-30th

gcubed

To be fair, I find fights don't happen anymore in clubs in the city. But that might be due to the venues I attend.

I live and work in University City. I had to go downtown today to take an exam and it was fine. Although I was in Center City West at 18th and JFK. I'm going to avoid downtown until Wednesday.

they have a funnel at the platt bridge exit and almost a checkpoint, they pull all trucks off and funnel normal 95 traffic through 2 lanes that are cut even narrower by state police every 20 feet. Then also a check point and trucks blocking the exit for Broad St.

andthebeatgoeson

they have a funnel at the platt bridge exit and almost a checkpoint, they pull all trucks off and funnel normal 95 traffic through 2 lanes that are cut even narrower by state police every 20 feet. Then also a check point and trucks blocking the exit for Broad St.
Nice. Secret service don't play.

You think they are profiling or scanning the trucks?

Deku Tree

What's the best way from the airport to center city right now? Cab that goes up Broad street? Or Train to 30th st and then a cab across town?

Deku Tree

Train, definitely. It goes to suburban and market East stations.

90% of the time, The Train is the best answer every time.

I got nothing against public transportation. But most of the time for the flat rate price I'll take a cab from the airport that pulls up right next to my house. I'm coming home on Thursday, with two small kids, my wife, and a lot of luggage. Just wondering if the cab is gonna be stuck in insane traffic from the airport to south philly.

Cause I'm not looking forward to lugging all my kids luggage all over the train.

esms

Just had to run three blocks through this
mjcry1.png

Hey shoutout to thunder & lightning for freaking me the fuck out

These storms are awesome.

dat storm dis mornin

dat storm now

also there were like no cars in center city today on my walk home. it was nice. they should ban cars more often.

You are not lying. There was zero traffic on my commute home, it was better than usual in all but one spot. I was able to go to old city and park IMMEDIATELY. I went to Harry's Smoke Shop that someone here recommended. Nice place, great service.

My dog was RATTLED

It's weird, my dog has been through plenty of storms and decided in the last two days that she just does not like them anymore.

Apparently the Dems/Press are too dumb, or too elitist to use mass transit. People are complaining that Philly was a terrible place to host the convention because traffic was bad, but the Broad Street Line was completely empty. The line for an Uber was an hour. You can walk 10 minutes and spend ten minutes on a train and be at your hotel quickly and conveniently, but then they'd have to rub shoulders with the poors that use subways, and of course they'd never do that.

Dems confirmed to be just like me when I moved here then

I can't put all the blame on them, it's probably just the American condition. There are 10,000 hotel rooms within a 5 minute walk of a subway line. It's a 5 minute walk from the Wells Fargo Center to AT&T Station. Literally ten minutes of walking and ten minutes on an express train and you're at your hotel room, and probably for less than 1/10th the cost of the Ubers. It's just so idiotic I can't take it.

Ron Mexico

I think AT&T was closed for a decent part of the night last night. Broad St line was cutting off at Oregon.

That being said, doubt it would have made a huge difference

Deku Tree

I'd love to see a photo of an Uber receipt going across town in Philly today... Uber surge pricing is sometimes ridiculous ... like $300 for a five minute cab ride. If the line is an hour then...

I think AT&T was closed for a decent part of the night last night. Broad St line was cutting off at Oregon.

That being said, doubt it would have made a huge difference

I don't think it was closed after the event, but at some point during the day it was because of some Bernie or Busters blocking the station. Not exactly sure when it was closed though.

Apparently the Dems/Press are too dumb, or too elitist to use mass transit. People are complaining that Philly was a terrible place to host the convention because traffic was bad, but the Broad Street Line was completely empty. The line for an Uber was an hour. You can walk 10 minutes and spend ten minutes on a train and be at your hotel quickly and conveniently, but then they'd have to rub shoulders with the poors that use subways, and of course they'd never do that.

I was on the subway line, after leaving the Uber protest (I left around 1130) it was funny there were a few disgusted reporters on there who were clearly unhappy about sharing mass transit. lol

Yeah barbary sucks a lot. It didn't used to be as bad as it is now though. I never particularly liked it, but it really went down hill in the last five years. I have no idea why you didn't immediately call the police on those dudes and press charges.

The barbary denied me entrance one night because i was wearing green.

i was wearing green.

on st patricks day.

they are so hipster they were over the holiday during the actual holiday.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

BSL last night had just a liiiiitle bit more traffic around 6:30, but the driver of the train kept the train idle at each stop for about 5 minutes with no one getting on. (I wasn't happy about this)

I saw someone's tweet of someone complaining about the location and I'm like "really?", this is so simple to figure out. (Dude claimed to be from Philly too)

andthebeatgoeson

Was about to say, you can literally stumble out of the stadiums and fall into AT&T Station
Wtf is this shit?

I almost forgot they sponsored the stations. Which is stupid because they were very descriptive before and now, i have no clue where the fuck that is.

Sneak edit: oh yeah, pattison avenue is a million miles better than at&t station.

Fucking millennials

gcubed

Told you the general disruption would be limited because of the Richie Rich twats :)

The Llama

Wtf is this shit?

I almost forgot they sponsored the stations. Which is stupid because they were very descriptive before and now, i have no clue where the fuck that is.

Sneak edit: oh yeah, pattison avenue is a million miles better than at&t station.

Fucking millennials

I don't even mind AT&T Station because it's the last stop and it's out of the way (aka you're literally never going there unless you're going to the sports complex). I take more offense to renaming Market East, and if they were to rename basically any other station.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Pattison Ave, Market East...hell, I still call it Delaware Avenue. I'm sure Suburban Station will be Comcast station after the next building is finished.

andthebeatgoeson

Pattison Ave, Market East...hell, I still call it Delaware Avenue. I'm sure Suburban Station will be Comcast station after the next building is finished.
I was just about to go on a Delaware Ave rant but yeah. We really need to stop giving that murderous asshole credit.

I hope we remove his name from most official capacities, locations, etc, within my lifetime.

Top Bottom