• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

I am back in town friends. I tried to keep up with news while away, but probably missed some things. Looks like I have lots of reading to do.

Feels awful to be back at work, but I certainly missed the conveniences of a big city.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
"Red and yellow and pink and green, purple and orange and blue. I can sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, sing a rainbow, too."

Thank You Captain Noah,

Deku Tree

philly_heatwave_11072218325801.jpg

Man, the heat wave has certainly gone to people's heads. Homicides have been way up the last two weeks. We're at 177, up 16 homicides from this time last year. Things were looking good for a while there when we were actually below last years total for a second.

Kane, Fattah and hopefully Dougherty this year. Let's get some folks with integrity in there for once.

Oh man I hope Dougherty gets it, and I hope the democratic house of cards falls and we get rid of these corrupt scum in city government. I know that will never happen though : (

esms

Definitely shady, although I'm unsure Nutter's thing will result in charges.

Alan Butkovitz is slowly becoming my hero though.

vypek

Does anyone know a good casual brunch kind of place in (or around) center city they can recommend? Or really, I'll take any casual kind of eatery in center city that has a personal recommendation. I hate just using places from random lists about the city

What about Nutter and that "slush fund"?

If you actually read the article there is literally ZERO to do with the entire thing that involves Nutter in anything but a remote way. It was about the chairman of the board of the Mayor's Fund not getting board approval for spending. It wasn't about the spending being against the mission of the fund, it wasn't about inappopriate use of funds, literally the only wrong doing was by the board chairperson not getting proper approvals. Nutter literally had zero to do with how the money was spent. No one actually read the article though, just the headline.

Definitely shady, although I'm unsure Nutter's thing will result in charges.

Alan Butkovitz is slowly becoming my hero though.

Really? I hate that grandstanding piece of trash Butkovitz. He does it all to remain in the limelight himself, rather than actually solve problems. He's breaking garbage stories like this one about the Mayor's Fund, which I actually am struggling to find much actual wrong doing in, instead of doing the real work. Attack councilmanic prerogative, for example. Figure out why city owned land is getting sold without being sent to bid. Figure out where the money in City Council row offices is getting spent, and why they need such massive budgets. Butkovitz refuses to go after city council in any form, because he knows it'll lead to real political blow back, even if that's where the real work needs to be done. I can't stand the guy.

Does anyone know a good casual brunch kind of place in (or around) center city they can recommend? Or really, I'll take any casual kind of eatery in center city that has a personal recommendation. I hate just using places from random lists about the city

Sabrina's Cafe has great brunch.

Deku Tree

Going on memory here, but I read the article, and I believe it said there was an expensive trip to Europe that was booked on that fund and that type of expense was not within the stated intent for the uses of those funds.

chualie

It's okay.

The texture and consistency is pretty equal between the 3 that I went to in Philly.

Ice Land in Chinatown
Sweet Charlie's in Washington Square
1°C Iceland in Oreland

All the Thai rolled ice cream places have similar flavors too.
Green Tea / Matcha
Strawberry
Coffee
Vanilla

IMO 10 Below in NYC Chinatown is better but it's comparable. The wait is definitely not as bad as 10 below.

Going on memory here, but I read the article, and I believe it said there was an expensive trip to Europe that was booked on that fund and that type of expense was not within the stated intent for the uses of those funds.

The trip was to Rome to prepare for the Pope visit. Which falls directly into two of the core goals of the fund, to promote culture, and to promote business and economic development. There was one item on the list that was a hotel stay for an an unnamed group of people, and that's maybe the only remotely questionable thing in my opinion, but for all we know that could have been something very similar, but the names are required to be held back due to a non-disclosure agreement.

The exit, GET OUTTAH MY CITY

He didn't say he was going to the suburbs.

esms

Really? I hate that grandstanding piece of trash Butkovitz. He does it all to remain in the limelight himself, rather than actually solve problems. He's breaking garbage stories like this one about the Mayor's Fund, which I actually am struggling to find much actual wrong doing in, instead of doing the real work. Attack councilmanic prerogative, for example. Figure out why city owned land is getting sold without being sent to bid. Figure out where the money in City Council row offices is getting spent, and why they need such massive budgets. Butkovitz refuses to go after city council in any form, because he knows it'll lead to real political blow back, even if that's where the real work needs to be done. I can't stand the guy.

I mostly like him because of his stance on city pensions.

I can't believe they are taking the analog sign out of 30th Street station. That flipping sound was so comforting to me after all these years. Sad, but I guess it makes sense.

DeadTrees

F.Y.E. on Broad and Chestnut is going out of business (very sad but expected) 30% off everything with deals up to 50%. Gonna stock up on some vinyl and marvel movies.
Tomorrow is the last day this store will be open, but DVD/Blus prices are still mostly bullshit unless you find a used item where the price ends in a 4 (70% off). Games are 70% off, still plenty of new copies of:

AC Unity PS4 $6
Minecraft Vita $6
Best of PSN $6
Code Name: STEAM $10.50
Watch Dogs Wii U $6

And about 65,400 copies of CoD: AW.

Anybody want (2) free screening tickets to the new Blair Witch?

It's at Ritz V at 8:00pm, tomorrow night (August 30).

I won't be able to go.

PM me.

Oh man, Paesano's opened a new location in Temple, and apparently it's going to have late night hours on weekends. Too bad it's so far north. I wonder if you can get postmates to deliver, or grubhub, or something.

My jury duty is over. When I heard the Salvation Army collapse trial was coming up I got a little excited because that is a case I wouldn't mind being on. Unfortunately I got stuck on a criminal case, and got excused for hardship as I am flying to Vegas on Thursday.

Jury duty is tolerable due to the proximity to Reading Terminal Market and that 10% discount.

gcubed

My jury duty is over. When I heard the Salvation Army collapse trial was coming up I got a little excited because that is a case I wouldn't mind being on. Unfortunately I got stuck on a criminal case, and got excused for hardship as I am flying to Vegas on Thursday.

Jury duty is tolerable due to the proximity to Reading Terminal Market and that 10% discount.

hardship to LV, nice

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Then you realize that the amount of time wasted outweighs the $9 you get which barely covers your lunch.

I was moderately interested in jury duty until I got selected and had to spend three days in a room convincing idiots to actually believe the three subpoenaed eye-witnesses testifying that they saw this woman get T-boned by a guy running a red light. And that was before we decided whether her neck injuries were legit and had to come up with a settlement number.

I lost the little faith I still had in humanity that day.

Top Bottom