• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

brinstar

Even though the Colosseum and XD games were pretty clunky I would've loved to see them continue that series. It was nice just having extra RPGs to play that gen.

Chase17

I'm still bummed that they didn't go through with the idea of making Wes the bad guy in XD. Would have been a cool twist.

Mr-Joker

Banned
While I would agree with you, I thought that the opening was really cool.

Yeah, Wes sure did look badass when he blew up the place and stole Team Snagem Snag machine.

Heck I really wanted to get a Gamecube just to play Colosseum, the Gamecube was my first Nintendo home console and led me to discover Nintendo other IP.

Honestly I own Pokémon a lot as it shaped my life.

Pokemon: xd

After I Google this I realized that this was my favorite GameCube game ever. This is the only game I ever completed 100% ever.. twice..

Sadly I don't remember much about the Game itself and only slightly remember having Umbreon I believe as a starter. Medical reasons why I can't remember.

And Pokemon Colosseum.

God I loved using Espeon and Umbreon, they rocked in that.

Will Google in a sec. If it's playable on Wii U and not butt popping expensive I'll get it.

Edit: Did my search and it's a GameCube game. :(

I was really hoping for a dragon Eevee this gen. I wonder why they decided not to go through with it.

Speaking of Pokemon Origins, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's by far the best thing dub-wise. The animation is pretty damn great, and a few lines of dialogue are really good (like Brock's explanation about why Red lost to Blue).

But man...
Red honestly sucks. The story tells you that Red learned that Pokemon aren't tools of battle, but I could only really see that with Charizard as the rest of his Pokemon were pure fodder (poor jobbing Jolteon). I know that they're tight for time, but would it really have killed them to show Red being a bit more competent, having a bit of strategy rather than having Char-whatever go into the red after one move and then squeaking out a win? The Charizard worship was utterly disgusting and disappointing, and I really wish Origins did a better job of making Red actually look like he deserved to be a champion with good type matchup skills AND battle tactics.

Pokemon XD was great because it gave you a free Lucky Egg at the end of an admittedly long quest chain. Still easier than farming wild Chansey though.

lupinko

Pokemon XD is great because it gave us baton pass Zapdos.

I wish gamefreak would give us Baton pass back for Zapdos in addition to finally giving it Lightning Rod.

-Horizon-

I was really hoping for a dragon Eevee this gen. I wonder why they decided not to go through with it.

Speaking of Pokemon Origins, I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's by far the best thing dub-wise. The animation is pretty damn great, and a few lines of dialogue are really good (like Brock's explanation about why Red lost to Blue).

But man...
Red honestly sucks. The story tells you that Red learned that Pokemon aren't tools of battle, but I could only really see that with Charizard as the rest of his Pokemon were pure fodder (poor jobbing Jolteon). I know that they're tight for time, but would it really have killed them to show Red being a bit more competent, having a bit of strategy rather than having Char-whatever go into the red after one move and then squeaking out a win? The Charizard worship was utterly disgusting and disappointing, and I really wish Origins did a better job of making Red actually look like he deserved to be a champion with good type matchup skills AND battle tactics.
It really should've been 26 episodes at least :/

Chase17

Zapdos already has the best of Kanto's legendary trio. No need to improve Zapdos as I see it. Meanwhile Moltres and Articuno are chilling in obscurity (ice/flying is a rough typing).

Since eevee evolutions had typically been added in pairs, I was definitely expecting a dragon version after Sylveon was revealed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pokemon XD was great because it gave you a free Lucky Egg at the end of an admittedly long quest chain. Still easier than farming wild Chansey though.

It's the only reasonable lucky egg in Gen III. Gen IV you can do a lot with compoundeyes and wild chansey's in HG/SS, but that shit takes TIME.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like Jolteon and Sylveon.

Agreed, people over hype origin due to Red winning the league, defeating Mewtwo and completing the Kanto Pokédex.

Honestly Red isn't any better than Ash but they just ignore that to have another dig at Ash and the animé that they probably don't even watch anymore.

Hell, I think OS Ash can win against Red.

JoeM86

Hell, I think OS Ash can win against Red.

Haha poor OS Ash. The Ash everyone compares current Ash to and claims old Ash is better.

Let's look at old Ash's Gym Battles

Pewter City: Lost first, then one due to sprinklers and Brock's siblings stopping him.
Cerulean City: Battle interrupted, never finished, given the badge because he "would have won if he used Pikachu"
Vermilion City: Lost first, won second...actual competence
Saffron City: Got given the badge because Sabrina laughed
Celadon City: Set the gym on fire and got rewarded for helping stop it
Fuchsia City: Solid battle
Cinnabar Island: Lost first, but solid battle
Viridian City: It was against Team Rocket...

Blergh

Boss Doggie

Indigo League is also full of bullshit. Saying a Pokemon lost because it's sleeping? wtf

XY Ash would sweep everyone in Kanto and make them join the Ashbowl. Except maybe Blaine. Ah what the hell he can join in too.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Same, a dragon eeveelutions would have paired nicely with Sylveon.

Pokemon XD is great because it gave us baton pass Zapdos.

I wish gamefreak would give us Baton pass back for Zapdos in addition to finally giving it Lightning Rod.

Personally I wish that Game Freak would go back and give some Pokémon better Ability.

It's silly that Stunfisk has Limber for an Ability or Rotom Air having Levitate.

Haha poor OS Ash. The Ash everyone compares current Ash to and claims old Ash is better.

Pewter City: Lost first, then one due to sprinklers and Brock's siblings stopping him.
Cerulean City: Battle interrupted, never finished, given the badge because he "would have won if he used Pikachu"

Blergh

Man no wonder Charizard disobeyed him, he pretty much knew that Ash was just lucky with the Gym battles.

Seil

Same, a dragon eeveelutions would have paired nicely with Sylveon.

Yup. Would've made sense as it's the only original Special type that's still unrepresented and it would have gone with the pattern they'd established lol. Umbreon & Espeon - Dark > Psychic. Leafeon & Glaceon: Ice > Grass.

Draceon(lol) & Sylveon: Fairy > Dragon

Chase17

Yeah I'm on the path to cinnabar right now and the gym battles have been a let down. Particularly the Sabrina battle. You can't call the episode Haunter vs Kadabra and get me excited for a cool fight only to have it won due to laughing (Haunter and Kadabra never even battle).

The Surge battle was my favorite thus far (cause I love raichu). Ash overcame some diversity, had a legit win, and team rocket was watching from the sidelines (please stop interrupting gym battles).

Blergh

was it a gym battle that had the Rhydon bullshit, cause i think it was in a gym battle or some thing

Yep. Cinnabar Island's Gym Battle

thanks, i wonder what were they thinking when writing that, i mean Blaine doesn't even have a Rhydon in any of the gen 1 games and i also under stand the anime wasn't always following the games rules but they stright but ignored a type immunity

JoeM86

Some Normal or Fighting move was used on a Ghost type.
Can't remember which episode, but it was probably Hawlucha.

Really? Because they've actually touched on that. I remember Hawlucha tried on Jessie's Pumpkaboo, but went straight through it.

Busaiku

I dunno when it happened or which Pokemon did what, I just remember something happened and I complained in the last thread.

brinstar

Yeah I'm on the path to cinnabar right now and the gym battles have been a let down. Particularly the Sabrina battle. You can't call the episode Haunter vs Kadabra and get me excited for a cool fight only to have it won due to laughing (Haunter and Kadabra never even battle).

The Surge battle was my favorite thus far (cause I love raichu). Ash overcame some diversity, had a legit win, and team rocket was watching from the sidelines (please stop interrupting gym battles).

Haha, yeah if you're looking for decent Gym battles you're not gonna really get any 'til the Hoenn arc.

Though to be fair I barely remember the Johto series, but if memory serves they don't really start writing decent battles til Hoenn and Sinnoh (and giving Ash some decent Pokemon)

Haha, yeah if you're looking for decent Gym battles you're not gonna really get any 'til the Hoenn arc.

Though to be fair I barely remember the Johto series, but if memory serves they don't really start writing decent battles til Hoenn and Sinnoh (and giving Ash some decent Pokemon)

of course the hoenn gym battles manages to get rid of all the goodwill near the end with THUNDER ARMOR

JoeM86

New Dungeon: Grassland Labyrinth - JP5JR6XX

lol yeah, Thunder Armor was bullshit.

how was the Unova gyms? I bailed out of that arc pretty quick

Mostly good, Nimbasa Gym was ridiculously bad
as they made Ash go to the Gym with just Palpitoad, and when that lost he had to leave to get more Pokémon
, by it was made up for by later ones

Boss Doggie

tbqh I rationalize Thunder Armor with Guts.

Anyway I really hate two of the Unova gym leaders, one was for Ash dumbassery (BW eh) and one was for Roxie shilling.

Oh and some toy catalog of sorts for the anime. Sylveon is an odd one out, I guess it confirms Serena's Eevee becomes one.

Also Bonnie nicknames the Core she found as "Puni-chan".

hJWk2Ww.jpg

Top Bottom