• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Interim Thread of Tears/Lapel Pins (ScratchingHisCheek-Gate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this weekend or next week Obama gives one of those Religion speeches like Romney gave to dissuade fears about his pastor's beliefs and so forth.

syllogism

grandjedi6 said:
Despite the conception, Obama has never won a semi-open Primary.

States with an open primary

* Alabama
* Arkansas
* Georgia
* Idaho
* Indiana
* Michigan
* Minnesota
* Mississippi
* Missouri
* North Dakota
* South Carolina
* Tennessee
* Texas
* Vermont
* Virginia
* Washington
* Wisconsin[13]
What? Many of those were caucuses, but still.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
syllogism said:
What? Many of those were caucuses, but still.

Semi-open, not open. Semi-open primaries are where only Democrats and Independents can vote, which is what this amounts to since the proposed primary would prevent people who voted in the Republican primary from crossing over. Obama doesn't win them for various reasons, though it may be a coincedence

EDIT: Some call them semi-closed instead of semi-open to different them from another type of open primary

syllogism

grandjedi6 said:
Semi-open, not open. Semi-open primaries are where only Democrats and Independents can vote, which is what this amounts to since the proposed primary would prevent people who voted in the Republican primary from crossing over. Obama doesn't win them for various reasons, though it may be a coincedence

EDIT: Some call them semi-closed instead of semi-open to different them from another type of open primary
Uh, and which states had a semi-closed primary? Massachutes, Rhode Island and...?

grandjedi6

syllogism said:
Uh, and which states had a semi-closed primary? Massachutes, Rhode Island and...?

Hmm, I'm trying to think off the top of my head but I believe there were 5 of them: NH, Mass, RI, NJ and Ohio. I need to doublecheck though because some of them might be the other semi-open type that allows you to change your party affliation.

thekad said:
What would you say those reasons are?

I don't think Obama was leading in the polls for any of them regardless, But I have to doublecheck

Tamanon

Banned
Thank god we'll have another debate between the two on April 16th on ABC, in Philly. Obama also proposed a debate on the 19th in NC, Clinton hasn't accepted yet.

About this pastor....I just saw the clip on CNN and I'm really beginning to question just how in touch with Black America whites are....

What exactly is the big fuss over this man? Do some people have no experiece at all with a black church and what a pastor or minister means to the community?

His statements, while uncomfortable for some, is certainly not the kind of stuff I thought would be causing such a strong uproar.

What has he said in the past? Certainly something more controversial then this, I'm guessing.

Or is the whole thing about people wanting to be offended, just so they can claim double standards and political correctness?

GhaleonEB

Liara T'Soni said:
About this pastor....I just saw the clip on CNN and I'm really beginning to question just how in touch with Black America whites are....

What exactly is the big fuss over this man? Do some people have no experiece at all with a black church and what a pastor or minister means to the community?

His statements, while uncomfortable for some, is certainly not the kind of stuff I thought would be causing such a strong uproar.

What has he said in the past? Certainly something more controversial then this, I'm guessing.

Or is the whole thing about people wanting to be offended, just so they can claim double standards and political correctness?
Correct on both counts.

harSon

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:

It's always been like that. Pat Robertson makes an anti-semitic comment, he's just crazy. Louis Farrachan makes an anti-semitic comment, he's the racist leader of a hate group.

GhaleonEB

Tamanon said:
Thank god we'll have another debate between the two on April 16th on ABC, in Philly. Obama also proposed a debate on the 19th in NC, Clinton hasn't accepted yet.
From TPM:

Hillary agrees to what would be the 964th debate of the 2008 campaign, in Pennsylvania.

Late Update: It gets worse. Obama has accepted and proposes yet another debate, this one in North Carolina, with Katie Couric moderating.
:faceplant

this is going to be an agonizing 6 weeks.

I think I'm just gonna tune myself out of all this for now. If I hear any more of Hillary's rhetoric, I'm going to grow a brain tumor.

Atrus

This guy on CNN just ripped into the Clinton campaign like nobody I've seen before. He literally crushed their position on winning the democratic nomination with an intellectual passion bordering on rage.

grandjedi6

maximum360 said:
What's the point of this?

Iowa's state convention is this Saturday. Until then, technically none of the national delegates have been allocated. So without support the Edwards regional delegates may jump onto Obama or Hillary's side. The state convention is where the national delegates are are allocated, so the totals for each campaign may change from the estimates the media is using.

Tamanon said:
I guess he's about to pledge his delegates to a candidate?

Quite the opposite. He is trying to get keep his regional delegates from siding with Hillary or Obama. Currently HIllary's campaign isn't doing anything but Obama's campaign is trying to presuade them

Tamanon said:
I guess he's about to pledge his delegates to a candidate?

I've been thinking that an Edwards endorsement could have a pretty decent effect in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Now would be the time John.

AniHawk

Smiles and Cries said:
uhm so we get another debate on the 16th ugh

In March or April?

Fake edit: Most of Edwards' supporters went to Obama already, right? I really hope he doesn't endorse Hillary. Just end this thing already.

ToyMachine228 said:
I've been thinking that an Edwards endorsement could have a pretty decent effect in Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Now would be the time John.

Indeed. With the Clinton camp trying the insert race to pull the white vote, this would be a good time for Edwards to jump in and endorse in order to be the great equalizer. Hopefully Obama has an attorney general spot open. With the Republicans and the Clinton camp pushing this issue, it's going to be more difficult for Obama to show that he's the candidate that's transcending the racial debate. Hopefully other influencial democrats are starting to see the damage being done to the party and will press the issue.

Hillary's veep spot seemed almost a sure thing at the end of the second to last debate but at this point they're making it very hard to swallow.

grandjedi6

This isn't a preempt to an endorsement guys. Edwards is just trying to keep his power and prevent any sudden delegate gains to Hillary or Obama. Edwards has shown a definite will to stay neutral for a long time to come.

Farmboy

Just read this article on Hillary's chances in the general should she wrest the nomination from Obama at this stage.
Being: virtually nill, and she could seriously be helping McCain with her kamikaze strategy.

Highly recommended. Here's the conclusion, with some choice bolding:

[N]egative campaigning is a negative-sum activity. Both the attacker and the attackee tend to see their popularity drop. Usually, the victim's popularity drops farther than the perpetrator's, which is why negative campaigning works. But it doesn't work so well in primaries, where the winner has to go on to another election.

Clinton's path to the nomination, then, involves the following steps: kneecap an eloquent, inspiring, reform-minded young leader who happens to be the first serious African American presidential candidate (meanwhile cementing her own reputation for Nixonian ruthlessness) and then win a contested convention by persuading party elites to override the results at the polls. The plan may also involve trying to seat the Michigan and Florida delegations, after having explicitly agreed that the results would not count toward delegate totals. Oh, and her campaign has periodically hinted that some of Obama's elected delegates might break off and support her. I don't think she'd be in a position to defeat Hitler's dog in November, let alone a popular war hero.

Some Clinton supporters, like my friend (and historian) David Greenberg, have been assuring us that lengthy primary fights go on all the time and that the winner doesn't necessarily suffer a mortal wound in the process. But Clinton's kamikaze mission is likely to be unusually damaging. Not only is the opportunity cost--to wrap up the nomination, and spend John McCain into the ground for four months--uniquely high, but the venue could not be less convenient. Pennsylvania is a swing state that Democrats will almost certainly need to win in November, and Clinton will spend seven weeks and millions of dollars there making the case that Obama is unfit to set foot in the White House. You couldn't create a more damaging scenario if you tried.

Imagine in 2000, or 2004, that George W. Bush faced a primary fight that came down to Florida (his November must-win state). Imagine his opponent decided to spend seven weeks pounding home the theme that Bush had a dangerous plan to privatize Social Security. Would this have improved Bush's chances of defeating the Democrats? Would his party have stood for it?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Liara T'Soni said:

I'm black. And I went to a black church for years. And what J. Wright said about white people in straight dumb.

I'm sorry Liara, but you are actually wrong on this one.

Hootie

quadriplegicjon said:
gaaah. im already going through withdrawal.. april 22 is soooo far away.

:.(

Also too much time for McCain to prepare and fundraise for the GE. Hillary needs to GTFO if she doesn't want the Democratic Party to end up in shambles. As if that would ever happen...

GhaleonEB

Hootie said:
Also too much time for McCain to prepare and fundraise for the GE. Hillary needs to GTFO if she doesn't want the Democratic Party to end up in shambles. As if that would ever happen...
Yup. he's been fundraising non-stop since locking up the nomination.

mosaic

go eat paint
Wow, this thread made it all the way to page 3.... I guess people don't notice them when the words "primary" or "Obama" aren't in the title.

Kind of nice to see a thread with only minimal race baiting...

Also, word is a plan for Michigan will be revealed in a few hours. Our state legislature apparently has to approve it though... and they're the same dumbasses who put us in this position.

Lastly, Jack Kevorkian is running for congress. He won't win: very republican district , but it does bring new meaning to Vote or Die.

grandjedi6

mosaic said:
Wow, this thread made it all the way to page 3.... I guess people don't notice them when the words "primary" or "Obama" aren't in the title.

Kind of nice to see a thread with only minimal race baiting...

Also, word is a plan for Michigan will be revealed in a few hours. Our state legislature apparently has to approve it though... and they're the same dumbasses who put us in this position.

Lastly, Jack Kevorkian is running for congress. He won't win: very republican district , but it does bring new meaning to Vote or Die.

People were actually bumping the Neogaffers for Obama thread instead :(

And isn't Jack Kevorkian the suicide assist guy who had his medical license revoked because he well.. assisted people in committing suicide?

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
grandjedi6 said:
People were actually bumping the Neogaffers for Obama thread instead :(

And isn't Jack Kevorkian the suicide assist guy who had his medical license revoked because he well.. assisted people in committing suicide?

Yup, he was released from prison not to long ago.

Cheebs

Today Show showed that Reverend Wright video

Also:
Rendell: Obama Would Beat McCain in Pennsylvania

Oops. :lol While I dont like that Rendell endorsed Hillary I do admit I like the fact he refuses to stick to talking points.

Cheebs

Zeed said:
Oh fuck them. Will they show McCain's spiritual adviser going on his anti-Islamic rant?
Also Good Morning America showed it again today for the second day in a row...meeeeh

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
grandjedi6 said:
Despite the conception, Obama has never won a semi-open Primary.

Wisconsin and Virginia?

Although at this point, Republicans crossing over would more than anything want to throw a wrench to gum up the works.

syllogism

At least there's something to look forward to this weekend - the Iowa county conventions. All the Edwards delegates could theoretically go to either candidate.

Cheebs

syllogism said:
At least there's something to look forward to this weekend - the Iowa county conventions. All the Edwards delegates could theoretically go to either candidate.
Edwards told his delegates to not switch just yesterday

Cheebs

syllogism said:
Yes, but that's hardly a guarantee they all will.
The type of people picked to go to these conventions are the obsessively loyal (which is why the idea of hillary stealing obama ones is basically impossible). They'd probably jump off a bridge if he asked them to. I doubt any switch, if any do it'd be something meaningless like 1 or 2.

syllogism

Cheebs said:
The type of people picked to go to these conventions are the obsessively loyal (which is why the idea of hillary stealing obama ones is basically impossible). They'd probably jump off a bridge if he asked them to. I doubt any switch, if any do it'd be something meaningless like 1 or 2.
Both campaigns, especially Obama campaign, have very actively tried to court Edwards delegates. Even Mari Culver, a former major Edwards supporter in Iowa, has been robocalling people for Obama. While it's quite possible and even likely nothing will change, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

e: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/14/clinton_role_in_health_program_disputed/

e2: WI superdelegate endorses Obama

maximum360 said:
Indeed. Hopefully Obama has an attorney general spot open.

I've always thought that Edwards would fit well in the Obama administration, which Obama is going to piece together with honesty and good will in mind. He's going to want an administration that goes along with his ethics reform, and I think John Edwards is an honest guy who would fit well in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom