• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Thread of Republican's Turn at Conventions (Palin VP - READ OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny the media is playing the when McCain dies she will not be ready for foreign policy spin....With the Dems, no one has to die for us to be unprepared to deal with foreign policy!!

laserbeam

Banned
zoku88 said:
Someone said Palin was corrupt. What has she done in one term as governor?

Officially she has done nothing wrong. Demcorat are trying to paint her as Pro-Big Oil Companies though but she Pushed for and signed a Bill in Alaska putting a 25% Tax on oil company profits. That screams big oil friendly to me:lol

GenericPseudonym said:
He became a rabid Libertarian attack dog. I always think Jay has a generally well thought out view on things, but his spamming of the thread was annoying.

Gaborn for Libertarian in chief!

Zeliard

Death_Born said:
Can't wait until the Vice Presidential debates.

Biden: I've had extensive foreign policy experience and negiotiated with world leaders. I've also negotiated resolutions for a number of wars.

Palin: I have a son in Iraq!

The VP debates will be extremely one-sided when it comes to policy. Biden's only real danger is in appearing to be a "bully". We all remember Obama and Hillary, and all the media's talk about how Obama can't seem to be bullying Hillary when he goes after her. I don't really see Biden holding back, though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SEGA SAMMY said:
Funny the media is playing the when McCain dies she will not be ready for foreign policy spin....With the Dems, no one has to die for us to be unprepared to deal with foreign policy!!

as opposed to the clusterfuck that it is now?

thekad

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:

Oh boy.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
He only met her 6 months ago & talked to her once since then? Or just one telephone conversation? Because if it's the former...

hole-e shit.

Amir0x

Banned
Zeliard said:
Amir0x, have you warmed up to Biden at all?

Not yet - I'll warm up to him a little better if he can manage to avoid the fucking grand canyon sized gaffe potential that lies in him attack dogging Palin. Remind me again after the debates.

I'm never going to really warm up to him completely due to our differences, but that'd be a start.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Instigator said:
Pseudo meltdown after Obama's speech.
Crap. He was anoying, but one of the few people on the other side worth reading (unlike APF). I hope it is not a lenghty one.

Instigator said:
Gaborn for Libertarian in chief!
Fuck no. Gaborn is like one of those 15yo that just discovered Ayn Rand and can't stop yapping about how great it'd be if were free from [x].

Captain Pants said:
I'm really hoping we see the fallout of the Palin decision reflected in the upcoming polls. I want the gap to get bigger.

I think it will tighten in the short term. The Democrats need to bury her with the corruption allegations, if they do that they will not only rip his running mate to shreds but his own judgement as well.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
SEGA SAMMY said:
If you've read anything Obama has put out on foreign policy matters, he's more than well versed on many issues and can do more than growl and grunt when threatened.

UltimaKilo

Death_Born said:
Can't wait until the Vice Presidential debates.

Biden: I've had extensive foreign policy experience and negiotiated with world leaders. I've also negotiated resolutions for a number of wars.

Palin: I have a son in Iraq!

Biden: Me too.

Palin: Uhh....crap.

No she will just echo what Obama says: "I have the right judgment" and then the Dems will say: "wait! You can't do that! That's our excuse!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SEGA SAMMY said:
Listen, believe it or not the level of conversation in political gaf is actually above outright lies and pure trolling.

pxleyes

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:
Except that Obama has Biden at his side to cover that issue.

besada

Banned
laserbeam said:
Officially she has done nothing wrong. Demcorat are trying to paint her as Pro-Big Oil Companies though but she Pushed for and signed a Bill in Alaska putting a 25% Tax on oil company profits. That screams big oil friendly to me:lol

Since laserbeam can't be tasked to answer honestly...

She's under investigation for a wrongful firing that may or may not involve abuse of her powers. No strong evidence has turned up, and the investigation is ongoing.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Captain Pants said:
I'm really hoping we see the fallout of the Palin decision reflected in the upcoming polls. I want the gap to get bigger.
It will probably go up actually due to the convention. We won't really know for certain what the palin effect is until a week or so afterwards.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:

What you just said is factually incorrect.

Stop it.

laserbeam

Banned
besada said:

She's under investigation for a wrongful firing that may or may not involve abuse of her powers. No strong evidence has turned up, and the investigation is ongoing.
I answered honestly. Officially there has been no evidence of wrong doing and until a time where wrong doing is found she is innocent.

thekad

Banned
UltimaKilo said:
No she will just echo what Obama says: "I have the right judgment" and then the Dems will say: "wait! You can't do that! That's our excuse!"

Umm, Obama has ground to stand on. Obama was right on Iraq. Palin was too busy with Alaska to have a position on Iraq.

besada

Banned
SEGA SAMMY said:

One of them is a Senator on the Foreign Relations committee, one of them is the Governor of Alaska.

Either you aren't bright enough to tell the difference, or you're being intentionally disingenuous. Which one?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
SEGA SAMMY said:
Better to have an unprepared foreign policy (although Obama has prepared....for quite sometime...while Palin most definitely hasn't) rather than McCain's seemingly MAVERICK-like "shoot first, asks questions later" policy.

2551kzc.gif

zoku88

besada said:

Wrongful firing?

As in, firing someone for their political beliefs or something?

Gaborn

Funky Papa said:
Fuck no. Gaborn is like one of those 15yo that just discovered Ayn Rand and can't stop yapping about how great it'd be if were free from [x].

I'm not sure you get to vote on Libertarian-Gaf President :lol (although Rand was wrong on many aspects of her philosophy)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
laserbeam said:
Officially there has been no evidence of wrong doing and until a time where wrong doing is found she is innocent.
I agree that "under investigation" does not equate with "guilty".

mj1108

I'm sorry but this pair doesn't seem "Presidential" in any sense.

Sarah385_390739a.jpg

It looks more like she's either his daughter or she's a golddigger dating a millionaire.

This decision is only political to try to woo women voters still upset over Hillary.

Talk about a clusterfuck of a decision....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Does Palin even have a Foreign Policy opinion yet?

besada

Banned
laserbeam said:
I answered honestly. Officially there has been no evidence of wrong doing and until a time where wrong doing is found she is innocent.

No, you didn't. You didn't mention that she was under investigation at all, but instead deflected the question by talking about her policy regarding oil companies. If you think that's honest, we have different definitions of the word.

UltimaKilo

thekad said:
Umm, Obama has ground to stand on. Obama was right on Iraq. Palin was too busy with Alaska to have a position on Iraq.

Ah yes, only Obama can use that excuse. Then McCain will say "Obama was wrong about the surge and won't admit it worked" while as always, Obama will have no answer. Plus Iraq is becoming a non-issue seeing how it's practically set in stone we'll be out by 2012. Oh, and wasn't Biden wrong about Iraq?!!! Guess he doesn't have the judgment to be VP! Wait... but Obama picked him so does that mean Obama has no judgment or experience?! :lol

UltimaKilo said:

Actually she has no opinion on the issue until relatively recently.

Hootie

I eagerly await watching coverage of the convention on MSNBC. :lol

Olbermann and Matthews should have a field day.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
mj1108 said:
I'm sorry but this pair doesn't seem "Presidential" in any sense.

Sarah385_390739a.jpg

It looks more like she's either his daughter or she's a golddigger dating a millionaire.

Have you seen Cindy McCain?

UltimaKilo said:
Ah yes, only Obama can use that excuse. Then McCain will say "Obama was wrong about the surge and won't admit it worked" while as always, Obama will have no answer. Plus Iraq is becoming a non-issue seeing how it's practically set in stone we'll be out by 2012. Oh, and wasn't Biden wrong about Iraq?!!! Guess he doesn't have the judgment to be VP! Wait... but Obama picked him so does that mean Obama has no judgment or experience?! :lol

Obama's judgement would have saved America trillions. McCain's judgement granted a pyrrhic victory.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
UltimaKilo said:
you act as if there aren't a ton of policy papers from Obama detailing the entire range of his platform.

Patch1922

SpeedingUptoStop said:
He only met her 6 months ago & talked to her once since then? Or just one telephone conversation? Because if it's the former....

He only talked to her about the being VP once. It doesn't say if they have had other conversations.

besada

Banned
zoku88 said:
Wrongful firing?

As in, firing someone for their political beliefs or something?

From wiki:

On July 11, 2008, Palin dismissed Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan for not adequately filling state trooper vacancies, and because he "did not turn out to be a team player on budgeting issues."[57] She instead offered him a position as executive director of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which he turned down.[58][59] Her power to fire him is not in dispute, but Monegan alleged that his dismissal may have been an abuse of power tied to his reluctance to fire Palin's former brother-in-law, Alaska State Trooper Mike Wooten, who had been involved in a divorce and child custody battle with Palin's sister, Molly McCann.[60]

Palin replaced Monegan with Chuck Kopp, dismissing as false allegations that Kopp had sexually harassed a subordinate.[61]

Palin said that her dismissal of Monegan was unrelated to the fact that he had not fired Wooten. Palin said that members of her staff had made contact with public safety officials regarding the trooper, though she said that her staff's contacts with the commission were not directed by her and she had little knowledge of them. She also took disciplinary action against one member of her staff who had mentioned her and Wooten's family connection to Monegan's staff.[62] In August 2008, the Alaska Legislature hired Steve Branchflower to investigate Palin and her staff for possible abuse of power surrounding the dismissal.[63] Democratic State Senator Hollis French, who is overseeing the investigation, says that the Palin administration has been cooperating and that subpoenas are unnecessary.[64]

It's entirely unclear whether there's fire behind the smoke.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
UltimaKilo said:
Ah yes, only Obama can use that excuse. Then McCain will say "Obama was wrong about the surge and won't admit it worked" while as always, Obama will have no answer.
No, Obama's stance is that the surge hasn't accomplished what it was supposed to do in the first place: accomplish political progress in Iraq. Reducing violence is only a means to that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom