• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.
unified pool of RAM is a must. they might go with cheap ram and arm for OS maybe. but that ram is staying unified.
If the PS5 goes with GDDR5X, GDDR6 or HBM2, it makes no sense to use those memories for the OS as they're quite a bit more expensive than a usual DDR3 or 4 for example. I think a separate RAM pool for the OS is basically a lock for PS5.

McHuj

If the PS5 goes with GDDR5X, GDDR6 or HBM2, it makes no sense to use those memories for the OS as they're quite a bit more expensive than a usual DDR3 or 4 for example. I think a separate RAM pool for the OS is basically a lock for PS5.

There's a lot of variables here. With a second pool of memory, you need to dedicate the space on the motherboard, source more components, and waste silicon area on another external bus. It just depends on what the economics allow and how cost cutting will scale. In the long term maybe just going with more GDDR will be better.

I could even maybe see some odd ball bus size like 320-bit (maybe it's really a cutdown 384-bit bus) allowing for 20GB of GDDR6. Frankly, I don't really see the need for increasing the OS reserve in next gen either. Why?

8GB for system RAM sounds way too high to me. I'd expect 16GB of unified and 4GB for system (separate chips).

Then again, I thought that the PS4 would have 2GB of RAM, so I'd happily be wrong on this one.

There's a lot of variables here. With a second pool of memory, you need to dedicate the space on the motherboard, source more components, and waste silicon area on another external bus.

I believe the PS4 Pro has a 1GB RAM chip exclusively for use by the OS, along with the regular bits and pieces, so it wouldn't be an architecture foreign to Sony.

Shin

Banned
8GB for system RAM sounds way too high to me. I'd expect 16GB of unified and 4GB for system (separate chips).

Then again, I thought that the PS4 would have 2GB of RAM, so I'd happily be wrong on this one.
4K everything probably, streaming, UI, recording and what's not.
4GB might be too little for that even, though it seems plentiful on smartphones it's not a fair comparison in the console/desktop/laptop space.

RaijinFY

Why GDDR5X? Outside of nvidia, noone else is using it...

SonGoku

Thats what im thinking, but then again Sony wasted almost half its GDDR5 memory on OS
Perhaps in the current market the price difference between traditional and graphics oriented memory chips doesn't differ enough to make it worth it adding a secondary big pool for OS?

Last edited:

yurinka

Seems to be a cool fake with many good ideas but a lot of stuff that seems fake.

Dates seem ok but not for 2020 instead of 2019. If they were going to have PS5 announced Sony would attend E3. Poor render, powerpoint template and fonts for logos are also a clear clue to see that it's a fake. Even in internal stuff they use fancier stuff. Some slides seem to contradict other ones.

Eh, thats fake. Very unlikely they put a highly expensive bluray in that thin next gen considering most people just buy online now with Sony.
Some current games are too big and don't fit in a single 50GB bluray. It's very likely they'll target native 4K and HDR for AAA games so make sure they'll need more space than now. I'm pretty sure they'll user larger than 50GB bluray for PS5.

JCK75

I have got to be honest, is there seriously a point to going to a new generation? I mean both PS4 and Xbox have evolved into something every bit as powerful as this appears to be and I see no reason why you can't just keep progressing that way ever few years eventually phasing out older versions of the hardware (by the time my PS4 slim would need to be phased out the price on an upgraded replacement will be much lower than it is now)

TeamGhobad

Banned
I have got to be honest, is there seriously a point to going to a new generation? I mean both PS4 and Xbox have evolved into something every bit as powerful as this appears to be and I see no reason why you can't just keep progressing that way ever few years eventually phasing out older versions of the hardware (by the time my PS4 slim would need to be phased out the price on an upgraded replacement will be much lower than it is now)

we need stronger CPUs for world building and interactivity other than that the graphics are good enough.

Clear

we need stronger CPUs for world building and interactivity other than that the graphics are good enough.

CPU power isn't going to help much really, the main restriction is always time and manpower for content creation and validation. Games, conceptually, are pretty much done at this point, its just iteration and combination of existing styles from here on out.

Imtjnotu

I believe the PS4 Pro has a 1GB RAM chip exclusively for use by the OS, along with the regular bits and pieces, so it wouldn't be an architecture foreign to Sony.
They 1gb was for background tasks while the machine was in rest mode. Not for the OS. The OS on ps4 probably seemed so bloated due too the always streaming service that lied dormant. Or the screen record function

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Thats what im thinking, but then again Sony wasted almost half its GDDR5 memory on OS
Perhaps in the current market the price difference between traditional and graphics oriented memory chips doesn't differ enough to make it worth it adding a secondary big pool for OS?

Wasted? That fast RAM was great for switch between applications though.

CPU power isn't going to help much really, the main restriction is always time and manpower for content creation and validation. Games, conceptually, are pretty much done at this point, its just iteration and combination of existing styles from here on out.

I've been a GAF member for like 15 years and I've read someone say this literally EVERY generation change lol. Some guys will never ever learn though. I'm assuming you are less than 21 years old, so I'll give you a pass. Games will continue to change. And the increasing technology will allow that.

16GB GDDR6 RAM is a given for both upcoming consoles. Really I don't see much power differential between PS5 and XBNext, it's all about the games & platform.

Last edited:

Dokku

16GB GDDR6 RAM is a given for both upcoming consoles. Really I don't see much power differential between PS5 and XBNext, it's all about the games & platform.
32GB or go home. Playstation has always made a 16x jump in memory between generations so I'm secretly hoping for 128gb of HBM3 but I'd settle for 32GB of GDDR6 or 8GB DDR4 with 24GB GDDR6.

....in all seriousness, I think those people who think the next generation consoles will launch with 16gb of memory need to cast their minds back to 2010/2011 when people were saying 2GB of memory for PS4 was absurd. I think the reason people were caught off guard then (and will be caught off guard again), is because they use the metrics of a high-end gaming PC is today's market as the upper limit as to what a console might achieve 2 or 3 years down the line. That may be true for raw processing power, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for system memory.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

32GB or go home. Playstation has always made a 16x jump in memory between generations so I'm secretly hoping for 128gb of HBM3 but I'd settle for 32GB of GDDR6 or 8GB DDR4 with 24GB GDDR6.

....in all seriousness, I think those people who think the next generation consoles will launch with 16gb of memory need to cast their minds back to 2010/2011 when people were saying 2GB of memory for PS4 was absurd. I think the reason people were caught off guard then (and will be caught off guard again), is because they use the metrics of a high-end gaming PC is today's market as the upper limit as to what a console might achieve 2 or 3 years down the line. That may be true for raw processing power, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for system memory.
I'd be OK with 24gb. I ram is not cheap right now so putting 32gb in a main stream device is not viable

Last edited:

Dokku

I'd be OK with 24gb. I ram is not cheap right now so putting 32gb in a main stream device is not viable

8GB GDDR5 was not cheap in 2011 when people were convincing themselves on this very forum that anything more than 2GB would result in another $599 fiasco. DRAM prices are falling slowly but surely. Keep the faith man.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They 1gb was for background tasks while the machine was in rest mode. Not for the OS. The OS on ps4 probably seemed so bloated due too the always streaming service that lied dormant. Or the screen record function

You are thinking of the 256 MB the original PS4 had for the Secondary SoC dealing with security, sound, networking, and rest mode background processing. PS4 Pro added an extra 1 GB of RAM to store apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc... when you paused them and switched to the home screen and/or a game.

“On the standard [PS4], if you're swapping between an application like Netflix and a game, Netflix is still resident in system memory, even when you're playing the game. We use that architecture because it allows for very quick swapping between applications. It's all already in memory,” said Cerny.

“On PS4 Pro, we do things a bit differently. When you stop using Netflix, we move it to the gigabyte of slow, conventional DRAM. Using that sort of strategy frees up almost a gigabyte of our 8 GB of GDDR5. We use 512 megabytes [of that] for games, which is to say that the games can use 5.5 GB rather than 5 GB. And we use most of the rest to make the PS4 Pro interface 4K, rather than the 1080p it's been to date. So when you hit the PS4 button, that's a 4K interface.”

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php

TeamGhobad

Banned

RAM is expensive. expect 18 tops.

mckmas8808

You are thinking of the 256 MB the original PS4 had for the Secondary SoC dealing with security, sound, networking, and rest mode background processing. PS4 Pro added an extra 1 GB of RAM to store apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc... when you paused them and switched to the home screen and/or a game.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php

OH SNAP! I had no idea that the PS4 Pro uses an extra 512 MBs of memory than the OG PS4. Have you seen that actually matter though so far?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
OH SNAP! I had no idea that the PS4 Pro uses an extra 512 MBs of memory than the OG PS4. Have you seen that actually matter though so far?

Not sure, possibly in first party titles enabling higher resolution effects (off screen buffers need to scale up as much as front buffer does) plus a bit of improvements to textures here and there, but nothing outrageously amazing in third party titles.

Caayn

To give a rough estimate about how terrible the RAM prices are, and have been the last few years. As people are hoping for crazy amounts of RAM. Historically, you could purchase the same amount of RAM or more that was in a console for about $50,- when going for the common equivalent available for desktop systems during that time period.

Year, Size, Type
2000, 64MB, DIMM - PS2 (32MB) launch year
2006, 512MB, DDR2 - PS3 (512MB) launch year
2013, 8GB, DDR3 - PS4(8GB) launch year
2018, 8GB, DDR4

RAM prices have stagnated a lot over the past few years. Which has never happened before, not on this scale. This is something that will affect the upcoming generation unless prices drop hard and fast.

*Yes, I'm fully aware that these are not the prices that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony pay for their memory modules nor are these the memory types that they'll (most likely) use in future consoles.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I think it'll be 32GB.

Also, RAM usage for gaming hasn't really skyrocketed like in previous years. It's basically impossible to see a 16x jump in the amount of RAM for PS5 and XBox 2 or whatever it's called.

Nowadays for 4K gaming 12GB for GPU is enough, while 16GB is enough for the hungry OS. On a console that requirement goes way down, and I believe for the next 5 years or so, considering the resolution will continue being 4K or checkerboarded, 32GB total is enough.

KingT731

To give a rough estimate about how terrible the RAM prices are, and have been the last few years. As people are hoping for crazy amounts of RAM. Historically, you could purchase the same amount of RAM or more that was in a console for about $50,- when going for the common equivalent available for desktop systems during that time period.

Year, Size, Type
2000, 64MB, DIMM - PS2 (32MB) launch year
2006, 512MB, DDR2 - PS3 (512MB) launch year
2013, 8GB, DDR3 - PS4(8GB) launch year
2018, 8GB, DDR4

RAM prices have stagnated a lot over the past few years. Which has never happened before, not on this scale. This is something that will affect the upcoming generation unless prices drop hard and fast.

*Yes, I'm fully aware that these are not the prices that Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony pay for their memory modules nor are these the memory types that they'll (most likely) use in future consoles.

There was a class action lawsuit going on about certain manufacturers(Samsung, Micron And Hynix Who happen to have 96% Market share between them) colluding to keep DRAM prices high and supply low. I have noticed the prices have started to come down a bit since...

bitbydeath

VR will see the bigger leap.

TLZ

Well slap my ass and call me daddy.....

giphy.gif

Von Hugh

24 GB of RAM seems reasonable. 8 GB of slower RAM for the OS and operations, and everything else for the actual games. 32 GB for the mid generation refresh (and, yes, there will certainly be one).

Shmunter

I genuinely prey for an uncompromised o/s next gen. Where it’s responsiveness and function is not affected by the app currently running.

I have no idea what happens right now, but it varies significantly. Running Blackops4 for example makes the o/s next to unusable. Other games, are ok.

Whitecrow

16 GB may be too low for all console life-span, but 32GB is overkill, and would increase the console price for very little profit.

24GB is a very good bet. Maybe even only 20GB.
Die size and hardware price are no jokes. 20GB could still offer a great balance, but yeah, it's less likely.

mmorg

Neo Member
Why do i think that 16gigs ram is enough for at least 7-8 years ? give the gpu dedicated 4 gigs ram and Bam. thats enough. still thats just me and my little brain xd

So we all taking bets on the notion that no future consoles will come with optical drives anymore? I know sony doesn't have to pay licensing fee on blu ray readers, but it does have to deal with the increase in manufacturing cost and power draw for a superfluous feature. Optical media and the technology to read it is LEGACY as fuck.

Discs must die asap. Flash is awesome, flash is here to stay, flash memory must prosper. I expect future 8k films to come on flash cards or carts. Solid state memory, due to its simplicity and growing density, will keep getting better for a long time to come. A flash card even uses less material than a full sized disc and is faster in terms of read. On a 7nm increasingly layered/3D lithographic process, we could see flash cards become huge and very cheap, I'm thinking ~1 TB capacity for ~$5 in about 5 years.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So we all taking bets on the notion that no future consoles will come with optical drives anymore? I know sony doesn't have to pay licensing fee on blu ray readers, but it does have to deal with the increase in manufacturing cost and power draw for a superfluous feature. Discs must die asap. Flash is awesome, flash is here to stay, flash memory must prosper. I expect future 8k films to come on flash cards or carts. Solid state memory, due to its simplicity and growing density, will keep getting better for a long time to come. A flash card even uses less material than a full sized disc.

Flash... that means digital only future which has its problems, discs are dirt cheap to manufacture and allow easy right of resale. Movies, not matter your connection speed, are objectively worse on Netflix and Prime than they are on Blu-Ray... you (generic expensive TV buyer) pay a lot for that TV... use it well. Also, please say hello to tons and tons of places where internet is nowhere good enough in speed and capacity to support masses streaming 8K movies decently.

But flash carts are a thing. Digital only is not the only option. You can fit blu ray films on flash cards already. In a few years they will be cheaper than chips.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

So we all taking bets on the notion that no future consoles will come with optical drives anymore? I know sony doesn't have to pay licensing fee on blu ray readers, but it does have to deal with the increase in manufacturing cost and power draw for a superfluous feature. Optical media and the technology to read it is LEGACY as fuck.

Discs must die asap. Flash is awesome, flash is here to stay, flash memory must prosper. I expect future 8k films to come on flash cards or carts. Solid state memory, due to its simplicity and growing density, will keep getting better for a long time to come. A flash card even uses less material than a full sized disc and is faster in terms of read. On a 7nm increasingly layered/3D lithographic process, we could see flash cards become huge and very cheap, I'm thinking ~1 TB capacity for ~$5 in about 5 years.
I'm all for that. I really miss cartridges for games.

Sorry for being the guy that edits their comment five times after posting it. I do it before reading any responses, it's a perfectionist mindset and it has plagued me for a long time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But flash carts are a thing. Digital only is not the only option. You can fit blu ray films on flash cards already. In a few years they will be cheaper than chips.

Wake me up when that actually happens ;). People keep saying this, hilarious threads on how this would mean massive savings for Switch and physical games... but then the old problems of production costs, minimum orders, long lead times / time to manufacture and especially waiting time for repeated orders (welcome back to inventory management problems that CD’s helped massively reduce back in the 90’s console wars).

The day flash carts will be cheaper to manufacture in small and large quantities alike and will not require long lead times or more expensive equipment to be able to start manufacturing ... then the situation will be different. Right now I see a lot of excited optimism in the industry more than I see proof that it will be like this in the near to medium term. I guess it is a topic to discuss for Xbox Three and PS6 ;).

Last edited:

farmerboy

Soooo.......probably more than the actual specs, I'm really looking forward to Cerny's soothing tones telling me all about it.

Anyway, that's just me. Carry on.

Rayderism

I just want some significant BC. Other than that, I'm sure PS5 will be great. I have too many Playstation consoles under my TV as it is. PS2 and PS4 BC (physical and digital) would suffice. Then I could just have a PS3 and PS5 under there. That way, all my PS games would still be covered and I'd have more space.

TimFL

I hope screenshots don‘t take 10 seconds anymore and they have a proper low power CPU this time around that can do background downloads while in standby.

mckmas8808

I hope screenshots don‘t take 10 seconds anymore and they have a proper low power CPU this time around that can do background downloads while in standby.

I thought that was the case now? Or is my Pro just doing things faster than the OG PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom