• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

Wark

Mine is a cover up in progress. See if you can tell where my old one was. It's visible still, but she'll go over it again near the end of the process.

ibzCgHvpAvCY2l.jpg

Wow! I like it.

I really wanna see what it looks like when this is finished.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Mine is a cover up in progress. See if you can tell where my old one was. It's visible still, but she'll go over it again near the end of the process.

ibzCgHvpAvCY2l.jpg

Some sort of wolf/tiger under and to the left of the Octopis right eye? Either way it's an awesome cover up.

Stet

Banned
Some sort of wolf/tiger under and to the left of the Octopis right eye? Either way it's an awesome cover up.

Nope! It was a dumb silhouette of a reaper in the tentacles to the left. All you can see at this point is the blue-tint of the old ink. Thanks, I'm really happy with it too.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Nope! It was a dumb silhouette of a reaper in the tentacles to the left. All you can see at this point is the blue-tint of the old ink. Thanks, I'm really happy with it too.

Seeing how off I was shows how good it really is. I like how it wraps around the shoulder. Good shit man.

kaskade

I'm considering my first tattoo right now. I want something small in a kind of weird spot. Here is the best picture I could find to show. It would be near where the three lines intersect. I was thinking around 1.5 x 1.5 maybe 2" max.

My grandmother was really into japanese art (I like it as well) and had a lot of it so I thought it would be cool to have something to honor her. I had the idea of maybe one of those arty japanese trees. With the branches representing my close family. I don't know exactly what they are called but the branches go in all crazy directions.

Concept17

Also looking to get my first tattoo. I really want to do something that goes from my forearm, potentially up to my shoulder. (would like do it in parts) I'm really unsure about what to get those. Something that flows well. I've wanted a lion on my shoulder since I was a kid, so there is always that.

Really want one, just no idea what to get.

Also looking to get my first tattoo. I really want to do something that goes from my forearm, potentially up to my shoulder. (would like do it in parts) I'm really unsure about what to get those. Something that flows well. I've wanted a lion on my shoulder since I was a kid, so there is always that.

Really want one, just no idea what to get.

What I did was make a folder on my desktop and threw images that moved me, or thrilled me into it. Give that a few months and then go through it and find ideas.

Concept17

What I did was make a folder on my desktop and threw images that moved me, or thrilled me into it. Give that a few months and then go through it and find ideas.

I was actually thinking about doing that. I do that often with art, since I do digital artwork myself. But hadn't done it for tattoo inspiration.

To teh internets!

Az

I have a scorpion on my back that looks similar to the one on the jacket in Drive. About the same size too.

eosos

Banned

ibzCgHvpAvCY2l.jpg

Okay, that's a great tattoo. Tattoos like this one are the reason that I actually think of getting a tattoo in the future!

Here's my Zelda WW chest piece. This was done very recently, and I'm sorry to say that it turned out much worse than I thought it would. I only have one more tattoo, on my side, so this one feels rather "unbalanced" on my body - it just covers too big an area. Also, I'm not too happy about the waves on Ganon's side.

I'm posting it here partly to get tips on what to do with it.

I've thought about laser removal, but it would cost a shitload of money, and I don't really want to risk having to leave with a huge scar across my chest for the rest of my life.

Right now I'm thinking about expanding the Ganon side to a half-sleeve, with something in this style, maybe have it cover the waves too, hoping it would help it help it blend in better with the overall aesthetics of my upper body (it sounds weird, I know, but it's the best way I can put it).

EDIT: Sorry about the thumb and the camera, I'm a lousy photographer.

Sorry to hear it didn't come out the way you wanted.
I got a Zelda inspired tattoo just under a year ago and am very pleased with it. Designed it myself, tried to make it look like old map cartography. Kind of hard to get a full picture of it as it takes up most of the shoulder.

From up close:

tattoosmall.jpg

Won't be getting another tattoo for quite a long time; but I think my next one will be a quarter-sleeve in ukiyo-e style. Koi, carp, dragons, and tigers are overdone; but I'd like something to do with nature.

Rehynn

Great style and fun to have such a practically straight thing on your chest.

Thanks, I'm not usually one to fish for compliments, but I'm really insecure about this tattoo so it feels good when someone says it's OK, haha.

Sorry to hear it didn't come out the way you wanted.
I got a Zelda inspired tattoo just under a year ago and am very pleased with it. Designed it myself, tried to make it look like old map cartography. Kind of hard to get a full picture of it as it takes up most of the shoulder

Now that's a nice one, and the fact that you came up with it yourself makes it even more awesome. Loving the Triforce design.

I've actually come up with an idea that might improve mine. I'm thinking about having the Hylian bird crest tattoed in the background in sort of a faded red. It would expand it vertically and add some color to it.

EDIT: And I need to start working out again. Fuck.

Got my 2nd pass done on my Cthulhu tatt, it's now a finished product. He added some more shading, a lot of white outlines on things, and just in general smoothed it out.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Got my next appointment scheduled already for my left arm half-sleeve...

yWktK.jpg

My grandmother was really into japanese art (I like it as well) and had a lot of it so I thought it would be cool to have something to honor her. I had the idea of maybe one of those arty japanese trees. With the branches representing my close family. I don't know exactly what they are called but the branches go in all crazy directions.

Cherry blossom trees

Think I'm ready for my 2nd one

Was thinking of something along the lines of an eye of horus, but I think I iwll do something based on Africa, as that's my heritage

no idea what

Beaulieu

Got my first tattoo done down in Brazil during carnaval, 3 months ago. Actually designed by an artist that worked on rayman origins. I wanted it to represent our trip in Brazil.

3lzWr.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey...how much would something like this cost?

AMDG-233x300.jpg

Not much. £50?

I'm kinda itching to get a new tattoo done. I just got a new job with a nice pay bump so I have the disposable to afford something big, but I'm paralysed at where to start. I want a half sleeve on my lower left arm, incorporating an old star tatt on my inner wrist, and I'd like something comic book inspired.

Been googling for some ideas, but there are so many superhero tatts that anything potentially artier is lost in the shuffle. There seem to be a lot of obvious choices (I love Batamn and Sandman and Grant Morrison) but I don't want something too literal...

Anyway, I don't know what I'm actually asking, but I just wanted to share my pain a little :p

Rehynn

Not much. £50?

I'm kinda itching to get a new tattoo done. I just got a new job with a nice pay bump so I have the disposable to afford something big, but I'm paralysed at where to start. I want a half sleeve on my lower left arm, incorporating an old star tatt on my inner wrist, and I'd like something comic book inspired.

Been googling for some ideas, but there are so many superhero tatts that anything potentially artier is lost in the shuffle. There seem to be a lot of obvious choices (I love Batamn and Sandman and Grant Morrison) but I don't want something too literal...

Anyway, I don't know what I'm actually asking, but I just wanted to share my pain a little :p

I like comic-inspired tattoos that are literally panels from comic books. Like wrapping a page or two around your arm.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I like comic-inspired tattoos that are literally panels from comic books. Like wrapping a page or two around your arm.

Yeah that could work. Trouble is I get nerd paralysis, I think these things would be easier to choose for people that don't read a lot of comics. I've read thousands of the things, where would I start??

Oh actually I just had a brainwave, I'm off to dig in my Doom Patrol box later on...

Salsa

Pick one panel and do it. I came very close to getting a Moebius panel tattooed when he died, but I just don't trust local tattoo artists enough to pull it off.

Rehynn

Yeah that could work. Trouble is I get nerd paralysis, I think these things would be easier to choose for people that don't read a lot of comics. I've read thousands of the things, where would I start??

Oh actually I just had a brainwave, I'm off to dig in my Doom Patrol box later on...

I'd say start with the comic that got you hooked as a kid. For me, that would be the X-men.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'd say start with the comic that got you hooked as a kid. For me, that would be the X-men.

Yeah, mine would be Batman (Adventures #4 to be exact) but i really don't want a picture of Batman on my arm, despite my love of the character. I've seen a few excellent ones (there's one where this guy has Bats, Joker and Harley, all in Lee Bermejo's watery ink style, it's amazing), but the idea of having a buff man in long underwear on my arm just strikes me as odd. I'm not bothered by the gayness, just the tackiness.

I think, were I to do this, I will choose panels or comics that mean a lot to me personally, and this is easier to narrow down. It's bound to be a Grant morrison book I reckon, either from Doom Patrol, Invisibles or maybe All Star Superman. But then there is Starman, and I love the art deco iconography of that book... although I don't know if it would transfer well to tattoos.

Really, this is an issue that I've been mulling over for about 5 years and I've still never found THAT panel. I'm concerned about choosing something that both looks cool, means something to me and would work as body art. But then I don't want to choose too rashly and get something from a book that I'll disdain as I get older...

Maybe I should go the other way entirely and get something really oldschool, like Jack Kirby or Dick Sprang or something. That could work better with doing a whole page too....

Choices!

Here's my Zelda WW chest piece. This was done very recently, and I'm sorry to say that it turned out much worse than I thought it would. I only have one more tattoo, on my side, so this one feels rather "unbalanced" on my body - it just covers too big an area. Also, I'm not too happy about the waves on Ganon's side.

I'm posting it here partly to get tips on what to do with it.

I've thought about laser removal, but it would cost a shitload of money, and I don't really want to risk having to leave with a huge scar across my chest for the rest of my life.

Right now I'm thinking about expanding the Ganon side to a half-sleeve, with something in this style, maybe have it cover the waves too, hoping it would help it help it blend in better with the overall aesthetics of my upper body (it sounds weird, I know, but it's the best way I can put it).

27265449.png

EDIT: Sorry about the thumb and the camera, I'm a lousy photographer.

I actually like that alot. Im not sure about the two triforces, Id have thought one in the middle would have made more sense but still, looks good to me.

Do what I did. Find a great artist, give him/her the concept and reference from the comics and let them fly.

I think, were I to do this, I will choose panels or comics that mean a lot to me personally, and this is easier to narrow down. It's bound to be a Grant morrison book I reckon, either from Doom Patrol, Invisibles or maybe All Star Superman. But then there is Starman, and I love the art deco iconography of that book... although I don't know if it would transfer well to tattoos.

I really want a Lord Fanny tattoo...

Nyphestus

Neo Member
sure have! just hit the two week healing mark and took some nice pics today. :)

pics

First and foremost, it looks amazing!

Second, what would you say the pain level was? I've been considering getting a chest piece for some time now, and it really looks painful. For what it's worth, I already have a full arm sleeve, and the top of my foot down, so I am aware of those types of pain.

First and foremost, it looks amazing!

Second, what would you say the pain level was? I've been considering getting a chest piece for some time now, and it really looks painful. For what it's worth, I already have a full arm sleeve, and the top of my foot down, so I am aware of those types of pain.

I've only got my neck to compare it to, and my chest put things into perspective. Neck - 4, Chest - 12.

For the outline... there was no 'good' spot. It was all a very sharp sting right from the start. Sternum can be likened to someone drilling a hole in your chest.

Shading and colour... session was a lot longer (obv.) and much more bearable, though the pain was about the same. I found that this time the worst sting was the outer tips of the wings, the middle was NUMB, and sternum... was the sternum.

It's nothing you can't handle, you'll go into it knowing what to expect and breathe through each section of pain. No tears or anything, no noise. It helps to have a good relationship with your artist, for sure.

If you want to see the vids, PM me. :p

ido

Great thread, saw it linked in the latest tattoo inquiry thread. I may have even posted in here before, but I can't remember.

My newest one... just got it, so it's dark/bloody. It's a vintage soviet advertisement for pacifiers. I've wanted it as a tattoo for about 10 years now because I've always loved the picture. Finally got it.

Gs63j.jpg

Anyone here have any tattoos going down their spine? Or know anyone who has one?

Would you recommend getting one there? I'm thinking about getting one, but would like a few opinions before i start drawing or planning it out.

sure have! just hit the two week healing mark and took some nice pics today. :)

WOW! Such a lovely piece! How many hours of work so far?

Here's mine (my first!), got it a couple months ago:

sfgIc.jpg

I've always been a fan of black and grey, can't wait to get my next one!

(sorry for kinda crappy cellphone pic) ;/

chiQ

Anyone here have any tattoos going down their spine? Or know anyone who has one?

Would you recommend getting one there? I'm thinking about getting one, but would like a few opinions before i start drawing or planning it out.

Not the spine, but I had work done over prominent bones. The only time I've had to work really hard to deal with pain during tattooing has been when bones that come close to the skin have been run over. Think about doing it in sections if you tattoo the spine. Over muscle it's pretty effortless, but you will probably find doing the entire length of your back pretty grueling in one session.

Bit of a silly question, but I know jack about tattoos and I figured that I could ask GAF before I asked in a shop.

Is there anything particularly different about getting a tattoo in large solid blocks of dark color, or black? My personal style is that I don't really like the line art look of most tattoos. If I got one I'd be looking at some filled solid geometric shapes on my forearms. Is there any thing particular about that type of tattoo with regards to time, cost, or process?

Top Bottom