• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your tattoos

chiQ

Large areas of solid colour can be problematic over time for certain skins. They may become uneven and blotchy. You won't know until you try whether you are someone with this issue. Shading doesn't show it so much.

Also, one of my tattoos was done with a newly released ink, and now every time I get allergies that ink causes inflammation and I end up with welts where the lines are. Going for large flat areas of ink would be nightmarish if you suffer a similar sensitivity. Ask for an old school, good quality ink, that has stood the test of time and experience over a lot of skins.

You pay for the artist's time. I doubt that flat colouring takes much more or less time than shading, though the skill level is different. You could go to a cheaper artist for lines and flat colour, and get similar results.

Anyone here have any tattoos going down their spine? Or know anyone who has one?

Would you recommend getting one there? I'm thinking about getting one, but would like a few opinions before i start drawing or planning it out.

d8nJi.jpg

The picture is absolute shit, but it goes down to just above my tailbone/crack (lol). My first tattoo, back in 2001. I will try to get a much clearer shot of it for you. If you can stand the pain, it was the worse for me (I have a few others) because it's constantly hitting your spine, but eventually it will go numb.

Nyphestus

Neo Member
I finished my sleeve at the end of last year. Unfortunately I don't have any decent pictures of the whole thing, but I was able to get the bottom sleeve portion from my tattoo artist's site. My entire sleeve, save for the tribal piece, was all designed by me. I'll try and post the rest later if anyone is interested.

creepyanimals.jpg

My first tattoo. Am going to work all sorts of similar theme stuff around it (can't go too far down the arm due to my work & it's "No visible tattoo's" rule :( )

2012-06-21215217.jpg

Unlike so many folks who get a random smattering of tattoos with no common link between them, anyone have any suggestions (that has an idea of what my tattoo actually is) in which I can integrate other similar universe tattoo's into that one? Something in which they're all running from one to the other to the other to the other, ect.

Unlike so many folks who get a random smattering of tattoos with no common link between them, anyone have any suggestions (that has an idea of what my tattoo actually is) in which I can integrate other similar universe tattoo's into that one? Something in which they're all running from one to the other to the other to the other, ect.

Do you want just other symbols, or possibly characters/dioramas?

chiQ

My tattoos match because I designed them to do so, but they don't connect at all. I have no idea of where your design comes from, but I take it there is more you can use?

My tattoos match because I designed them to do so, but they don't connect at all. I have no idea of where your design comes from, but I take it there is more you can use?

Well, there's a method to my madness in that they're all going to be based off of Warhammer Fantasy & Warhammer 40k (yes, I am that big of a nut). It'll go something like this:

My right arm (the one shown with the 1st tattoo) will be the Warhammer Fantasy side. My left arm will be the 40k themed side. Nothing will go below short sleeve length (my work forbids visible tattoos) and not go to the underside of my arm. They'll both stretch around my back & across my shoulder blades & meet in the middle.

I know I'll be doing some fitting of various things to make it work as I'm loathe to make it look like a hack job, so I'll take my time and get it done right.

EYEL1NER

I've always liked the comic book style of frames to tie stuff together. Wouldn't work for a large area. A buddy one time was talking about a TMNT half sleeve that would e comic frames and old comic images around his bi.
I thought it would have looked good.

Anyway, after seeing Iron Maiden last night, I'm finally ready for my next one. When I get back from Greenland in about 7 months I will finally be able to get the half sleeve of my avatar. My arms will hopefully be kind of toned up from being able to work out so much up there too, so it will be awesome.
I hope the ink can cover my stretch marks, but I'm worrie it won't work.

chiQ

Tattoos can cover colour variation in skin, but not skin texture. If you have stretch marks in the sense of bands of slightly shinier, pinker skin then the pinkness will be covered, but the slight sheen will remain.

EYEL1NER

Tattoos can cover colour variation in skin, but not skin texture. If you have stretch marks in the sense of bands of slightly shinier, pinker skin then the pinkness will be covered, but the slight sheen will remain.
I'm fine with that I guess. I guess some of them are a deep fucking purple, so they would have blended in well with the blues and purples of the clouds behind Eddie.
If the texture is still there it's okay I guess. It will be my punishment for letting myself get fat.

chiQ

I'm fine with that I guess. I guess some of them are a deep fucking purple, so they would have blended in well with the blues and purples of the clouds behind Eddie.
If the texture is still there it's okay I guess. It will be my punishment for letting myself get fat.

If you continue to manage your weight they will eventually fade back. Mind did. Some are pretty much gone and others are way less apparent.

EYEL1NER

If you continue to manage your weight they will eventually fade back. Mind did. Some are pretty much gone and others are way less apparent.
Well that sure would be nice.
I put on a HUGE amount of weight in a very short amount of time. Going to Greenland though, I won't have access to fast food or too much shitty food and I will have a ton of time to work out. So I am looking forward to coming back a new man.
It sucked getting out of the military because I lost access to the badass gym and stopped lifting but now I will be using one of the best gyms out there in the military.

I just can't wait to get back for vacation. I will be getting at least that one but possibly more done. I hope my buddy is still stationed here too so we can go get some together. He only has one but it is badass. A huge 1940's style pinup nurse across his left ribs with riveted metal like from a plane as the background.
He's gonna get another pinup on his other ribs. I've been trying to talk him into a pirate chick in the same reclining pose as the nurse, mirroring it. And the background would be wood like from the ship.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
how bad is it?!
How can somebody devote that much to an artist that hasn't really been around for a long time, i don't get it
Going to get my first tattoo on my 18th bday. I'm pretty excited.

awesome! any ideas? I wanted to get one on my 18th but inspiration was nowhere to be found and i want my first to really mean something, think i want something Incorporating my love for music and hendrix :D

I don't want to say anything mean but...............why?

Holy hell that's awesome. What's it from?

Warhammer! Same as my tattoo I posted earlier. The one that'll be put next to the Skaven (ratman pic posted) will be this:

640x882_4041_Dwarf_slayer_for_warha.jpg

It'll be flipped around so their backs will be facing each other (and to save room)

torontoml

I have been interested in getting a tattoo for quite a few years but can never commit to something that I want permanently. Would getting some sort of variation of this:

Munro.jpg

my family crest, and being an individual that doesn't believe in God be odd/stupid?

I have been interested in getting a tattoo for quite a few years but can never commit to something that I want permanently. Would getting some sort of variation of this:

Munro.jpg

my family crest, and being an individual that doesn't believe in God be odd/stupid?

I have my family's clan motto on my chest. I opted not to get our crest because it's a sun inside of a belt and pretty lame. Yours is much cooler, you should get it if you really like it. My dad passed away last year and I feel proud to have a tattoo with some connection with his family.

awesome! any ideas? I wanted to get one on my 18th but inspiration was nowhere to be found and i want my first to really mean something, think i want something Incorporating my love for music and hendrix :D

I've been thinking for YEARS about what I want, and I've narrowed it down to a small list of tattoos that would mean a lot. the top choice is the deathly hallows symbol with my favorite quote from hp, but i'm not sure.

I change my mind.

I want that one.

smr00

Banned
Been wanting to get a tattoo since my father passed 7 years ago but 0 inspiration has came. He loved tattoos and had a tattoo of the snoopy bird on his arm with my name under when i was born and would love to get something in memory of him but i am not into the whole RIP stuff, not only do i find it boring he would hate it.

Double D

http://www.jakesdirect.com/img/productImages/Munro.jpg/IMG]

my family crest, and being an individual that doesn't believe in God be odd/stupid?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's a bad idea. I was raised Catholic but have pretty much fallen off the wagon over the last 10 years. I don't have any tattoos, but my idea was always to get like two angels on each shoulder/chest/bicep facing each other. Probably not the angels you are thinking of, but like I always pictured one or both would be holding a sword or a shield or something. Also, one of the angels would be a like a fallen angel. Kind of to represent good vs evil.

I guess it's kind of hard to describe the placement and everything, but one of them would have a sword kind of raised like in a 'i'm ready to stab you' pose where the hilt of the sword would be on the front side of one of my shoulders and would extend midway across my collarbone facing the other side. I'm rambling at this point so hopefully you get my idea.

Has anyone here ever actually sought out a tattoo artist to design a tattoo from their own ideas? I was going to get my artsy cousin to design it for me (I was going to pay her well, too) but that's falling through, so I'm wondering where to go next. Is there a "right" way to find a good tattoo artist and work with them on concepts, without bleeding my wallet too much? I have an idea of what I want, and basically a "design doc" with possible influences, ideas, etc. that I have, but I don't know if I'm asking too much or if there's a good way to go about this.

Magilla

Banned
Has anyone here ever actually sought out a tattoo artist to design a tattoo from their own ideas? I was going to get my artsy cousin to design it for me (I was going to pay her well, too) but that's falling through, so I'm wondering where to go next. Is there a "right" way to find a good tattoo artist and work with them on concepts, without bleeding my wallet too much? I have an idea of what I want, and basically a "design doc" with possible influences, ideas, etc. that I have, but I don't know if I'm asking too much or if there's a good way to go about this.

You should definitely seek out an artist to help you with your concept. Do as much online research as you can. Most good shops nowadays have online portfolios. Find an artist that does good work and matches the style of tattoo that you want. Then give them a call and see how they handle consultations. Definitely take in any visual aids or ideas that you have. Again, feel free to ask the artist what they want/need.

My artist charges 50 bucks for a consult, but that cost goes towards the tattoo. I simply told him what I wanted and he sketched some stuff out on the spot. We went over it and he refined it in the weeks before my appointment. It really depends on the shop how they will do it.

Also, having an artsy friend draw out the tattoo is a fine step to take, but in the end the tattoo artist will probably have to adjust that drawing anyway. Tattoo on skin is much different than drawing on paper. Certain lines/shades/colors do and don't work. So a good artist would have to put some work into even the best looking sketch.

Good luck!

Magilla

Banned
Might as well post my tattoos as well:
Phoenix and Peonies
2Jbs2.jpg

Fresh cherry blossoms on my forearm
C1qlP.jpg

Partially pictured above of Ouroboros half sleeve with maple leaves

Stet

Banned

A great tattoo artist shouldn't charge for the design, they should charge for the work. Having a "design doc" is the best way to do it, and they'll ask you for that if they know what they're doing. The best way to find a good artist is to look around at online portfolios for consistency and style. If they have a style that fits with your vision, and they do it consistently well, there's no harm in meeting with them.

Top Bottom