• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Did anyone here ever play this game?

Soulofthesamurai.jpg

I really liked the demo and played part of the full game, but never actually owned the thing. I remember some of the music being spectacular.

Reviews were somewhat mixed, mostly because this was a Konami game in a post-MGS world... and this game is basically Resident Evil (ie: tank controls) with samurai. But I remember it being quite good. Unless my memory is playing horrible tricks on me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As a huge Demon's/Dark Souls fan I'm tempted to try and get my hands on the King's Field games, but then you just know they're gonna release some sort of HD Collection at some point... right? >_>
What's the consensus on Alundra? I'm entertaining the idea of buying it, it looks cool.
Awesome game. I think I like it better than every Zelda except LttP, honestly. >_>

I want this game SO badly. It's Media Vision's first game (Wild ARMs dev). Those characters on the front cover look literally like Rudy and Cecilia from Wild ARMs, it's nuts! Game always looked cool, but it only came out in Europe and Japan, I believe. I can't even find a real copy of it on Ebay! It's lost to the world now. =(

Interest note, Gunner's Heaven was an area/town in Wild ARMs 3. Cool nod to one of their first games. =D

Yeah, I was gonna say, whoa that is so Rudy Roughknight. I didn't even know this game existed.

PS1 was the first system I bought myself in 6th grade in like 97. It took me a bit to warm up to 3d so my first few games were Johnny Bazookatone, SotN, King of Fighters 95, Street Fighter Alpha and Resident Evil. I really bought the console for Fighting Force, lol. Because my fav genre at the time during the transition from 16bit era to 32 were beat em ups. I really started getting into the groove of the console a bit later on....was still really rockin the SNES/Genesis/NeoGeo at the time.

OK, finished and uploaded my PSOne overview with a bit of Resident Evil 2 gameplay. I don't get very technical in the video. Just a brief look at the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjPlxKPFIVU

I had to jack up the brightness in post processing to get the RE2 footage to show up, so the picture gets a little noisy. This is a fault of my camera and not the LCD display. Just a heads up.

baphomet

You keep naming games that are rare and go for a lot. I feel like you already know which games are valuable.

Not a single one of those is anywhere close to being rare. Overpriced for the sale of being overpriced. Some of the best selling PS1 games right there, yet people seem to think they're hard to come by.

What are people's opinion of the PS1 version of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver? I am interested in the PSN version for Vita and want to know how it stacks up against other platforms.

FaintDeftone

Heh...I got something better. A Interact DexDrive for the ps1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DexDrive

Basically you can transfer your save from your memory card onto the PC. This was great if you want to backup your save from your memory card onto the PC. Also, save a lot of money if you don't want to buy too many memory card for the PS1. Have mine for a very long time and still working even today.

I still own a PSX dex drive as well. Great product and worked wonders for folks who only had a single basic memory card.

dokish

Banned
OK, finished and uploaded my PSOne overview with a bit of Resident Evil 2 gameplay. I don't get very technical in the video. Just a brief look at the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjPlxKPFIVU

I had to jack up the brightness in post processing to get the RE2 footage to show up, so the picture gets a little noisy. This is a fault of my camera and not the LCD display. Just a heads up.

Daaaaamn. Now I need one too.

^Dex Drive was the shit in the day (roomates' data + mine + PSU saves etc), good luck getting it going now though...i lack both a serial input & floppy drive, heh

Joei

Funny you should have this. I have Breath of Fire 3 for my PS1, had it since it was released, but could never get into it. And because of another thread decided to pop it in and see how it looked and maybe try playing it again. On my Sammy Plasma, I'll tell you what, it didn't look that bad. I mean, it looked exactly how I expected a PS1 game to look, but that's it. I know I hooked old games up to my old Panny LCD I have and most of the PS1 and PS2 games looked like straight junk, but the with Samsung plasma display, the PS1 game looked pretty good. I'd check out a few more games, but they're all at my parents at the moment. Oh, and this is through my PS3.

linkboy

This is my PS1 collection. I moved all of my PS1 games into DVD cases since I really don't like CD jewel cases.

All of my games are black label copies, except for that copy of Tactics, which is still factory sealed (got it at my local Goodwill for $3.99).

It's not mint, there's some parts on the plastic where it's separating and there's some cracks, but I still though it was cool.

I got that copy of Suikoden II from my local Play N Trade and it was the only one that was traded in the 5 years the store was open. It's the highlight of my PS1 collection, I've been wanting that game for ten years and I two missed opportunities. What makes it better is that I only payed $80 in store credit for it.

I remember when this came out. First shipment came with the Red & Green 3D glasses as it had some sort of 3D mode. Did you play it in 3D by any chance?

No, never knew that. Looking through the manual, it doesn't mention a 3D mode. Either way, it's a ton of fun. Everyone should check it out if they get the opportunity

Teknoman

*_* that LSD game is a trip.

Are there any other internal benefits with the PSone vs the original model aside from running cooler/quieter? Finally plugged the one I found awhile back, and that intro screen has a hell of alot of bass. Any disadvantages to using Dual Shock 2 with the PSone? And the last question is...are official PS1 memory cards hard to find these days?

Also Silent Hill 1 seemed to run slightly smoother than when I used it on my PS3?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
No, never knew that. Looking through the manual, it doesn't mention a 3D mode. Either way, it's a ton of fun. Everyone should check it out if they get the opportunity

From the Wikipedia Page

The game was released with a pair of red/blue 3D glasses so that certain scenes can be viewed in 3D

and holy shit at this.....

Heart of Darkness took six years to develop. These years were spent creating the game's musical score, the graphics, and the FMV sequences. There was a bidding war to distribute the game which Infogrames won. Other bidding companies included Sega and Atari. Atari had plans to put the game on the Atari Jaguar CD instead of the PlayStation.

nordique

I loved the ps1
My most played console from that era was the n64, since it had more games that appealed to me (more action, fps and platformer oriented games) and I am not a fan of RPGs (ps1's strong suit) but the system had something for everyone.

Some of my favourite games of all time were found on this thing such as metal gear solid (one of my favourite franchises) and Castlevania sotn

I also loved the Spider-Man games at the time, and some Sony titles like crash bandicoot

bought it when the dual shock system came out, with a copy of twisted metal 2 and a bugs life. Amazing times with that thing

zaidic

Banned
I remember seeing Tekken 3 at some Sony expo in Pakistan back when I was a kid, and I kid you not, my mind was literally blown and my jaw dropped to the floor. The graphics were so amazing that I still remember that moment quite vividly.

Whenever I remember playstation 1, this game comes to mind

I still remember playing this with my brother and getting my ass kicked. I wish time machines were real...

zaidic

Banned
Pandemonium...anyone played it? I remember reading up on it on Gamefan waaaaaay back in middle school...is it any good?

I remember playing that game on PC back in the day. I am surprised you still remembered the name because I had certainly forgotten about it. I only played the first level and thought it was alright. You can watch a playthrough on youtube.

Jucksalbe

Banned
^Dex Drive was the shit in the day (roomates' data + mine + PSU saves etc), good luck getting it going now though...i lack both a serial input & floppy drive, heh

It's not that hard. There are adaptors for serial->USB. Use "Dexter" instead of the official software.
At least that's how I use mine nowadays.

Back in the PS era I used one of those memory cards that let you switch "pages", so you had 48(?) memory cards at once. But it was pretty crappy and broke someday, so I lost all my saves (the few I had left I copied to my PS2 card until that one got deleted....).

ascii42

Speaking of Dual Shock, Ape Escape was a great showpiece for the hardware.

Yes it was. It was the first game to require the dual shock.

I remember Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare using the right analog stick for the flashlight, but did it require it as well?

Akira_83

Banned
So is a PS3 hooked up to an HDTV a workable solution to play ps1 games?

Ps1 is my favorite system of all time, bar none. Looking back im really kicking myself for selling off my entire collection of all black label games, 200+ for basically nothing

ive wanted to start building a pristine collection of ps1 games again but i want to actually play through all of them again

I have a PC, a PS3 and a Vita

Vita i do play PS1 games on but those are obviously digital so the Vita is no use for these copies. My PC can obviously emulate PS1 games im sure, but i dont wanna sit in front of my monitor nor have to deal with emulators and getting bios files, configuring control ini's, etc etc

so that leaves my ps3 super slim which is currently hooked to a 42 inch LCD tv thats in my bedroom. How horrible are games going to look on it?

Akira_83

Banned
If you don't stretch them, it should look "okay". Nowhere near as good as on a CRT, of course.

I definitely wont "stretch" them in the sense of making them fill my tv 16:9 as im a huge proponent of maintaining OAR

however when i play on my vita i dont keep it set to original because i dont like it being boxed in all around. make it fill the screen vertically while maintaning the 4:3 screen size

this is possible on the PS3 right?

thanks

I definitely wont "stretch" them in the sense of making them fill my tv 16:9 as im a huge proponent of maintaining OAR

however when i play on my vita i dont keep it set to original because i dont like it being boxed in all around. make it fill the screen vertically while maintaning the 4:3 screen size

this is possible on the PS3 right?

thanks

PS3 can't output low-res 240p, so the image will always be upscaled, even in 4:3.

Akira_83

Banned
PS3 can't output low-res 240p, so the image will always be upscaled, even in 4:3.

im ok with upscaling

i mean i wont stretch to anything other than 4:3

whats the downside of upscaling? could it explain funny looking articles? on vita im sure its upscaled too and i noticed on Silent Hill that theres this funny dotted/gridlike effect on things like fog and flashlight beam

im ok with upscaling

i mean i wont stretch to anything other than 4:3

whats the downside of upscaling? could it explain funny looking articles? on vita im sure its upscaled too and i noticed on Silent Hill that theres this funny dotted/gridlike effect on things like fog and flashlight beam

It's more a nitpicky concern with SD displays TBH. However, I'm not certain whether or not the upscaling leads to input lag. That would be the bigger issue if it does.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's more a nitpicky concern with SD displays TBH. However, I'm not certain whether or not the upscaling leads to input lag. That would be the bigger issue if it does.

According to fudoh (who is the dude to trust on this stuff, of course):

PS1 games are rendered in software and can be output in any resolution you want. If you set your output to 480p you get a PS1 picture very similar to what the good videoprocessors will do. Being emulated, there are no deinterlacing artefacts at all. If you set the output to 1080p the picture gets a bit too sharp. Every single pixel is dead-on with this setting. The only (small) downside to playing PS1 games is that you're limited to the region of your PS3 (e.g. only US PS1 games on your US PS3) and that there's a small delay of about 1.5 frames.

KageMaru

I loved the PS back then and still do. I have as many PSone titles purchased on PSN as I have PS3 titles.

I still remember playing Warhawk and Wipeout for the first time. Fell in love then and once Tomb Raider 2 was announced as a PSone exclusive, I knew I had to have one. So many fond memories from that generation.

Top Bottom