• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

found it thanks!

sounds like i want it to be set to 480P output and then just fill screen vertically keeping 4:3

ill give it a shot

No No No, you want to have the upscaler off since the ps3 naqtively puts out in 480p for ps1, this also eliminates the extra lag by having both the ps3 and the tv upscale.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The wierd thing was how obscure Namco was during the 16-bit era. When they started doing Ridge Racers and Tekkens it was like "the Pac-Man guys? Uh, ok.."

Not being an official US license for the NES hurt mindshare of them, them I remember all of a sudden in the PS1 era they were huuuge. Ironically enough, a bunch of Namco Famicom arcade ports (Dig Dug, Galaga) got their US release by Bandai of all companies.

John Blade

Not really special but it's kinda special for me are Playstation demo disc. Here are my collection for the Ps1 demo disc I own as of now.

I remember when this came out. First shipment came with the Red & Green 3D glasses as it had some sort of 3D mode. Did you play it in 3D by any chance?

I've always wanted to play this game as I've heard many good things about it. Is it available for a reasonable price? Are there any rumblings about it coming on PSN?

Cheddahz

Banned
Not really special but it's kinda special for me are Playstation demo disc. Here are my collection for the Ps1 demo disc I own as of now.

I really miss the days of opening a magazine and having a demo disc with a bunch of demos to play. I recently went out to my grandmother's house and she is trying to clear some junk out, so I decided to get my stuff and I found my Pokemon CD case with a bunch of PS1 demo and PS2 demo disks. While I'm sure a bunch of them probably don't work anymore, it's always a cool thing to have

^why would you quote that whole thing

yeah new jampack discs (and PS Underground arrivals) would be a highlight for me all week/weekend, it was just so cool. entire genres id not normally play, id try out & replay to improve in.

i know (and appreciate) that we've got most demos online now, but those were kinda magic

Vib Ribbon is one of the few times I've felt lucky as an Australia gamer. I still play it to this day on my PS3. Um Jammer Lammy as well, but it seems to suffer from HD TV lag making the game maddeningly difficult.

Does anyone even do PSone mod chip installations anymore?
Definitely. Check out the Racketboy forums. There are a few in the b/s/t sub-forum who advertise their services. I've been meaning to get my PSOne modded but I never seem to have the spare change when it's convenient.

Mobius 1

The greatest video game console in history.

I'm having all sorts of nostalgic pangs now. Once I organize my thoughts I will post my history with the system.

AkIRA_22

I understand people love the NES... but the PS1 is the best console of all time. Completely changed what games were and turned the industry on it's head. There are scores of amazing games that still play well.

SETotalNBABoxFront.jpg

Best Basketball game ever made. HAKEEEEEEEEEN OLAJUWOOOOOOOOOOON !

televator

The hard part about finding a copy is that even the seller doesn't know which variant they have. Nor are they aware of the variant. I found mine in a mom and pop game store, with a little help from pure luck. I purchased it and pointed it out to them. They thought it was cool, but again, they had no idea about it before.

FYI, the shinny version of Silent Hill is uncensored. Later version replace the monsters that resemble children with other monsters.

I have 2 shinny versions and they are hard to tell apart from regular versions.

Also, how the hell did this thread go under my radar?!

Teknoman

FYI, the shinny version of Silent Hill is uncensored. Later version replace the monsters that resemble children with other monsters.

I have 2 shinny versions and they are hard to tell apart from regular versions.

Also, how the hell did this thread go under my radar?!

Wait by little chilldren, you mean these:

200px-GreyChild.png

Definitely. Check out the Racketboy forums. There are a few in the b/s/t sub-forum who advertise their services. I've been meaning to get my PSOne modded but I never seem to have the spare change when it's convenient.

Cool, next time i'm not doing eyeing gaming budget wise, that'll be the first thing I do.

I've always wanted to play this game as I've heard many good things about it. Is it available for a reasonable price? Are there any rumblings about it coming on PSN?

I got my copy for $25.00 on eBay. So ymmv. It's tough finding a copy(from what I've heard) that is in decent shape. Mine, by luck, was stored in a closet for years apparently by the seller and saw it when she heard the cd case crack, luckily not affecting the discs at all.

televator

Wait by little chilldren, you mean these:

200px-GreyChild.png

Yeah, they are called grey children. Though their concept art doesn't really translate what they actually look like in the game. Then there's the fact that you encounter them first in the school... They got replaced by some headless teddy bear looking things.

Vib Ribbon is one of the few times I've felt lucky as an Australia gamer. I still play it to this day on my PS3. Um Jammer Lammy as well, but it seems to suffer from HD TV lag making the game maddeningly difficult.

still salty we never got this one, i wanna say it was Tretton talking about a PSN release years back that again managed to break my heart

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
still salty we never got this one, i wanna say it was Tretton talking about a PSN release years back that again managed to break my heart

I'd import it... but the fact that it runs off audio CDs is a little difficult in 2013 :p

Same for Monster Rancher.

As usual with these threads, I'm here to post my collection! Here it is:

I was gonna take a new picture with everything in it, but I decided to just use a picture I took a few months ago, and then take a second picture with the system and the only three PlayStation games I've bought since I took that last one. I don't think I remember what the last game I bought before I took that first picture was. I haven't really bought PlayStation games much in the last 10 or so years. Heh.

I still play them, though. Same goes for the games I have on my other two dozen or so consoles. Hah.

Oh, yeah, I had a Dual Shock controller, but...I don't know where that went. I think it got lost while I was moving one time. I also used to have Metal Gear Solid, but I lent it to a friend of mine and he never returned it. That was...7 or so years ago, I think. I haven't really been able to get in contact with him since. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting that back...

ShowDog

I'm about to order a replacement laser for my old SCPH-5501 Playstation to get it running again. Has anyone had any luck with these $17 replacement laser units for any pre-psone? I'd hate to waste money on crap.

Best part about the PS1 was the fact that they had demo discs. I used to just buy demo discs from EB Games (before they became GameStop) because I couldn't afford real games at the time. In a way, I miss the demo discs because you would end up trying games you would otherwise never even know about.

hipgnosis

My newest PS1 purchases:

hGHHBSz.jpg

Finally got all the Naughty Dog developed Crash games. Still missing Crash Bash from complete set. Got a nice bargain on the Jumping Flash games as well. Also found Lammy for a bargain, what a great game!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How do the Crash Bandicoot games hold up, anyway? I remember loving them as a kid, but I eventually pawned them off, because I was a badass grown up teenager who wore Abercrombie.

So maybe I'm more sensible these days and would still like 'em.

NES. Stunt Race FX, Star Fox, and Silpheed were more like the Atari 2600 of 3D games.

Silpheed is 2D sprites on FMV backgrounds, so it doesn't really count.

How do the Crash Bandicoot games hold up, anyway? I remember loving them as a kid, but I eventually pawned them off, because I was a badass grown up teenager who wore Abercrombie.

1 isn't worth playing these days but 2 and Warped are good.

hipgnosis

They hold up incredible well! Graphics are clean and the gameplay is tight. I was actually really surprised how good they looked even today. I'm having more fun with these titles than some of the more recent adventure platformers.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So my story with the PlayStation... when it was announced, it was during that whole mid-90's period where it seems a new competitor entered into the console market only to disappoint. I was thrilled with my Genesis and SNES and anticipating both the Saturn and the N64... nothing really interested me too much on Sony's system. Even more disappointing was Bernie Stolar and SCEA's anti-2D policy of the time... since it was keeping some of the more appealing games (such as Arc the Lad) from reaching the US shores. I never was that impressed by early PS1/Saturn/N64 level polygons, even back in the mid-90's, vastly preferring sprite/tile-based 2D.

A friend of a friend bought a PS1 at its American launch, along with both Ridge Racer and Mortal Kombat 3. I went over there to play it and still wasn't sold. Not having much experience with CD-based consoles (like the Turbo CD or SEGA-CD), I wasn't happy with those load times, MK3 I always felt was an underwhelming title in the franchise, and Ridge Racer was cool but still not enough to sell me. Magazine previews talked about a game called "Wipeout" with its stylish graphics and EDM soundtrack, and that piqued my interest. But I was still set on getting a Saturn, for games like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (having missed the SEGA-CD era), Magic Knight Rayearth, Shining Wisdom, Blue Seed, not to mention SEGA's arcade hits and a host of 2D games considering magazines raved about how adept the Saturn is at handling 2D... during 1995, it really looked like the Saturn was to be the system to get RPGs. And of course seeing the SIGGRAPH Final Fantasy presentation I knew I needed an "Ultra 64" for that and the Nintendo franchises. Nintendo was promising something radical...

Then one day, my best friend received a PS1 as a gift. He was also a subscriber of EGM and called me when he saw their first published article about Final Fantasy 7. He said "FF7 is coming to the PlayStation!", and I responded "What? You're only saying that because you just got one! It's coming to the Ultra 64 and I saw the screenshots in Nintendo Power."... then he's like "Yeah, it takes place in a futuristic city!" and I'm like "no way dude!"... finally he's like "Oh yeah and one of your party members is black!", at that point I am like "OK I may have even slightly believed you, but now I know you're totally full of shit!"

So yeah, needless to say when I found out the truth, the PS1 went on my Christmas list that year (1996).

Into

NES introduced me to gaming but PlayStation 1 changed gaming forever. No longer were games about cutesy mascots (tough Crash was awesome, thank you Naughty Dog), but now we had games with a emphasis on story, atmosphere, a message etc. games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 all carried that torch and pushed gaming forward from just being typical 2d sidescrollers to something more.

Had the PS1 not happened i like would have stopped gaming, i had enough of 2D platformers and pointless beat em ups in the mid 90s.

People are posting up Playstation stories so I guess I'll post up mine.

I was a Nintendo kid for the most part. We got an NES around '86 and gravitated to the SNES about a year after its launch. Sure my dad brought home a Master System after winning it at an office party, but it was short lived at our house. We picked up a Genesis after owning an SNES for a year and I would say we played the SNES and Genesis equally past that point. We even picked up a 3DO so that we could own Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo at home.

I was all set to wait for the "Ultra" 64 after reading about it in every magazine on the rack back then. That is until I went to work for Software Etc in Summer '95 as part of my after school work program in high school. The Saturn was fresh at that point, but not a lot of people were paying attention. We had this one Sega fanboy at the store at least once a week swearing that the system would crush coming competition. I vaguely remember someone mentioning Sony's infamous "299$" E3 speech.

I don't know what came first, the endless U R not (red-E) / enos promotional material or Chris bringing up his import Playstation (a couple of rounds with Toshinden and Tekken and that was that). I quickly forgot Nintendo's now delayed "Nintendo" 64. The Playstation was coming and it was going to hit hard. Our customers were buying into the hype too. We sold out of preorders for at least the first 3 shipments of launch systems.

My brother and I drove to the Mall where my store was located launch day. I'll never forget the line of about 50 or 60 people at 9:30am. I hadn't seen a line for a console launch before. My brother and talked to a few people in line before slipping under the gate to pick up the first Playstation. We hooked it up to the CRT at the edge of the checkout counter and started Toshinden matches. The crowd outside was about to go nuts. My manager threw open the gate and invited everyone into the store 15 mins before opening. A few of us started up a little Toshinden tournament while people picked up their preorder systems. It was an awesome day.

The Playstation even helped me get an A in my co-op class a few weeks later when I brought it in for a presentation.

I should mention that purchasing the Playstation came at a cost. We took advantage of Software Etc/Babbage's promotion at the time to trade in old systems and games toward the purchase of the Playstation (this was not common practice back then). We gave them an SNES, Genesis, and a few games a piece to make up the price difference. We were going all in for the Playstation. I honestly don't regret it. The Playstation ended up being probably my most played console of all time. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that I worked for Software Etc for another two years (somehow surviving the Neo Star bankruptcy). I made use of the discount and we had a sizable collection of games. It was the only system in the house until the shoddy Street Fighter Alpha 2 port drove me to buy a Saturn. And other than occasional take homes of Guardian Heroes (thanks Software Etc), the Saturn was an SFA2 box until around 1998 (?) when I picked up the ram cart and respective fighting games.

Sadly, my collection of Playstation games is long gone. I think the only surviving title from that collection is my Ghost in the Shell that I picked up in 2000 from Funco Land after loosing my original copy of the game. I have my little PSOne LCD combo and a handful of my favorite games now, but that's about it. I spend most of my gaming time and resources these days collecting for the Dreamcast and Saturn, rediscovering gems on those systems that I might have missed.

Just so many firsts with the Playstation. It was the first console I imported games for (<3 you Japan). It was the first console I really opened up and tinkered with, thanks to the faulty CD rom drives in the launch/early consoles. It was the first system I modded. It was the first console I bought a double for. One Playstation wasn't enough. My brother needed to leave me the fuck alone when I was playing RPGs. Ridge Racer Type 4 and Armored Core link battles were a bonus.

I'm still in awe at how the Playstation dominated the gaming world back then. I may favor Sega's systems a bit more these days and their arcade-centric nature may fit my lifestyle more now, but... that Playstation.

Cheddahz

Banned

I find the first one to be hard in a very cheap way, but Warped is still a blast to play

Teknoman

NES introduced me to gaming but PlayStation 1 changed gaming forever. No longer were games about cutesy mascots (tough Crash was awesome, thank you Naughty Dog), but now we had games with a emphasis on story, atmosphere, a message etc. games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy 7 all carried that torch and pushed gaming forward from just being typical 2d sidescrollers to something more.

Had the PS1 not happened i like would have stopped gaming, i had enough of 2D platformers and pointless beat em ups in the mid 90s.

I like PS1 as much as the next guy, but lets not be too hasty. Story and atmospheric games were a big part of the 16 bit era too. 32bit disc based systems just brought the presentation to another level, but games for an older audience were there.

On that note...where is the best place to get official Sony PS1 memory cards these days? Ebay seems flooded with off brand stuff.

The Jason

Such a great system. I loved my genesis but the ps1 was revolutionary for me. So many great games that i still play very often on my psp; final fantasy 7, 8, 9, metal gear solid, ect, ect.

Dereck

So, I've been playing the Crash Bandicoot trilogy on the PS3 through HDMI, and it amazes me how well the games look more than 15 years later. They really do look like some of the best the PS1 could output.

I forgot how unforgiving Heart of Darkness was/is. So good. The animation and art style still hold up really well. Looks great smoothed and fullscreen on PS3.

ascii42

So, I've been playing the Crash Bandicoot trilogy on the PS3 through HDMI, and it amazes me how well the games look more than 15 years later. They really do look like some of the best the PS1 could output.

Yeah, Naughty Dog has consistently been among the best at getting the most out of Playstation hardware.

kuroshiki

People are posting up Playstation stories so I guess I'll post up mine.

I was a Nintendo kid for the most part. We got an NES around '86 and gravitated to the SNES about a year after its launch. Sure my dad brought home a Master System after winning it at an office party, but it was short lived at our house. We picked up a Genesis after owning an SNES for a year and I would say we played the SNES and Genesis equally past that point. We even picked up a 3DO so that we could own Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo at home.

I was all set to wait for the "Ultra" 64 after reading about it in every magazine on the rack back then. That is until I went to work for Software Etc in Summer '95 as part of my after school work program in high school. The Saturn was fresh at that point, but not a lot of people were paying attention. We had this one Sega fanboy at the store at least once a week swearing that the system would crush coming competition. I vaguely remember someone mentioning Sony's infamous "299$" E3 speech.

I don't know what came first, the endless U R not (red-E) / enos promotional material or Chris bringing up his import Playstation (a couple of rounds with Toshinden and Tekken and that was that). I quickly forgot Nintendo's now delayed "Nintendo" 64. The Playstation was coming and it was going to hit hard. Our customers were buying into the hype too. We sold out of preorders for at least the first 3 shipments of launch systems.

My brother and I drove to the Mall where my store was located launch day. I'll never forget the line of about 50 or 60 people at 9:30am. I hadn't seen a line for a console launch before. My brother and talked to a few people in line before slipping under the gate to pick up the first Playstation. We hooked it up to the CRT at the edge of the checkout counter and started Toshinden matches. The crowd outside was about to go nuts. My manager threw open the gate and invited everyone into the store 15 mins before opening. A few of us started up a little Toshinden tournament while people picked up their preorder systems. It was an awesome day.

The Playstation even helped me get an A in my co-op class a few weeks later when I brought it in for a presentation.

I should mention that purchasing the Playstation came at a cost. We took advantage of Software Etc/Babbage's promotion at the time to trade in old systems and games toward the purchase of the Playstation (this was not common practice back then). We gave them an SNES, Genesis, and a few games a piece to make up the price difference. We were going all in for the Playstation. I honestly don't regret it. The Playstation ended up being probably my most played console of all time. I think a lot of this had to do with the fact that I worked for Software Etc for another two years (somehow surviving the Neo Star bankruptcy). I made use of the discount and we had a sizable collection of games. It was the only system in the house until the shoddy Street Fighter Alpha 2 port drove me to buy a Saturn. And other than occasional take homes of Guardian Heroes (thanks Software Etc), the Saturn was an SFA2 box until around 1998 (?) when I picked up the ram cart and respective fighting games.

Sadly, my collection of Playstation games is long gone. I think the only surviving title from that collection is my Ghost in the Shell that I picked up in 2000 from Funco Land after loosing my original copy of the game. I have my little PSOne LCD combo and a handful of my favorite games now, but that's about it. I spend most of my gaming time and resources these days collecting for the Dreamcast and Saturn, rediscovering gems on those systems that I might have missed.

Just so many firsts with the Playstation. It was the first console I imported games for (<3 you Japan). It was the first console I really opened up and tinkered with, thanks to the faulty CD rom drives in the launch/early consoles. It was the first system I modded. It was the first console I bought a double for. One Playstation wasn't enough. My brother needed to leave me the fuck alone when I was playing RPGs. Ridge Racer Type 4 and Armored Core link battles were a bonus.

I'm still in awe at how the Playstation dominated the gaming world back then. I may favor Sega's systems a bit more these days and their arcade-centric nature may fit my lifestyle more now, but... that Playstation.

Jesus that opening. I still remember GITS PS1 opening. SEXINESS.

Sora_N

My newest PS1 purchases:

hGHHBSz.jpg

Finally got all the Naughty Dog developed Crash games. Still missing Crash Bash from complete set. Got a nice bargain on the Jumping Flash games as well. Also found Lammy for a bargain, what a great game!

I'm tempted to get those too, I never owned Crash games but played them a few times. I only own CTR and played the crap out of that though. :)

Teknoman

I think im gonna try to snag Crash 1 and 2 again.

Like most rare stuff, i'm still hoping to run into Suikoden 2 "in the wild".

Sora_N

FFVIII and Spider-man 1 are my picks for nostalgia on top of MGS1.

EDIT: Wow, feel so old now. Tried to find Crash and Spyro games on craigslist but pretty hard to find stuff there, PS1 feels so long ago now haha. I can't believe how expensive the Spyro games are on eBay.

Top Bottom