• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rain World |OT| Concrete Jungle

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Before release I remember asking a dev about 120hz+ support and they said yep, in fact they were developing on a 120hz monitor.

Does anyone know how to uncap the framerate then so I can play at 120fps?

Good question. Nothing in the menu and I didn't see anything for it in the files. Digging around now.
Just asked on twitter too (link).

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Good question. Nothing in the menu and I didn't see anything for it in the files. Digging around now.
Just asked on twitter too (link).

Here's receipts on that btw.

o55JrpV.png

I hope the option is still in or a simple patch to make user enablable.

RevenWolf

I feel that the game needs to explain the ui a bit better, until I read this thread I didn't even realise there was an indicator for when the rains come.

Finally made some progress and OMG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw5DiakHL4g

Just count how many times I got incredibly lucky right there. Seriously, right up until the end it's close call after close call. Risking everything in an area I've never been in, using an "item" I've never used, just so my rating wouldn't drop again. Jesus christ. These moments are the game at its best, music and all.

My heart

jesus christ 3:10

taoofjord

Don't think this game is for me. I love the concept but I'm unimpressed by the execution. Moving around in the game doesn't feel good and the design decision so far are frustrating. I'll probably give it another shot but either way, I hope everyone else that's been looking forward to this enjoys it. There's a ton of potential.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
D-pad inputs weren't working for me with the DS4 controller (in Steam). Fixed it by setting the profile to map d-pad to joystick move instead.

Also, there are poles strewn around the world which you’ll probably use to throw futilely at enemies
To not be so futile, at least with lizards:
- Don't aim for the heads, they're armored there. Use stealth, backflips, terrain, and so on to expose the lizards' bodies. A single spear strike to the body can make a lizard not able to climb or slow down their movement
- Stealth here isn't just sight based. The animals can hear too. Crawling is quieter, and thrown stones can distract and draw predators to that spot

The game didnt look great from what I had seen on a lets play. And the gifs dont show me much gameplay either, just things moving around which again isn't really game play (like limbo)

What game is this game actually like as you play it. It seems like a bad game to me, but fit seems to be getting a lot of traction here and I only watched around 10 minutes or so before I moved on to my next game to check out. I may be wrong, maybe so it's usually better to ask people that played it for a few hours to get a feel for it.

DD

As someone brilliantly said in a review, this is a subversive design. This is a survival game, not your average platformer. The most important thing in Rain World is to survive, not just moving foward. You have to be careful, you have to outsmart the brilliant AI of your enemies. Take your time...

To be clear, it's not survival as popularized in the current same-named genre - no crafting or depleting hunger here - but "survival" in the sense of being prey near the bottom of the food chain in an uncaring ecosystem

Is there a way to actually beat this game?
There's an ending and narrative; it's not a roguelike

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
D-pad inputs weren't working for me with the DS4 controller (in Steam). Fixed it by setting the profile to map d-pad to joystick move instead.
This is interesting. I'd also be using a DS4 to play. So the default dpad implementation is not ideal?

To be clear, it's not survival as popularized in the current same-named genre - no crafting or depleting hunger here - but "survival" in the sense of being prey near the bottom of the food chain in an uncaring ecosystem

There's an ending and narrative; it's not a roguelike

oh? i never got that impression from what i saw. The game doesn't seem nearly as violent as I expected so might end up playing it.

I need to play Pathologic to destress

Blue lizards being able to climb the background seems fucked.

Edit:spawned and left the room and was literally instantly eaten by one lol

As someone brilliantly said in a review, this is a subversive design. This is a survival game, not your average platformer. The most important thing in Rain World is to survive, not just moving foward. You have to be careful, you have to outsmart the brilliant AI of your enemies. Take your time...

not sure if I'd like that or not guess I'd have to try it

Another perspective on the rank system from the devlog
What surprised me when I started playing was the way the karma gates worked, and while I think pretty much every criticism regarding the game's difficulty is reasonable and well-founded, I think the karma system may actually be my favorite thing about the game!

Chimney Canopy is what sold me. I had gotten through a few hours of the Outskirts and the Heavy Industry area, and I was 3/5ths of the way to getting the Survivor achievement. It was really simple to just hunt, run, find a shelter, save, repeat, progress... the game was basically what I was expecting.

The Chimney Canopy difficulty spike wrecked me. That first wide-open three-screen room with an ungodly amount of lizards and vultures absolutely tanked my karma, and by the time I found a new shelter, I was at the absolute rock bottom.
My mentality at that point was to simply throw myself out into the world over and over, paying pretty much no attention to deaths, since I couldn't sink any lower. I ran on the rooftops even though I got snatched by vultures half of the time, just because running on the rooftops was faster and I wanted to go far.

What turned it around was finding one of those golden karma flowers that protect you from one death. The instant I ate it, I could feel the entire game twist itself inside out in my head, I could feel my paradigm shifting, everything made sense. And it happened so fast! All of the sudden, I just knew I couldn't let myself die, so I hunted, and hid, and took the safe path back to my shelter. I didn't care about making linear progress, I just needed to sleep, and eat, and sleep.

So I did. And then I did it again, and again. The level just clicked for me. I knew when a place was dangerous just by looking at it. I knew where the food would be just by instinct. And I knew that if I died, I'd be throwing away the only progress I'd made since I'd arrived

The feeling of triumph when I walked out of that same shelter with max karma and a full stomach, ready to explore, is something I've never really felt in a game. The feeling of hope when I picked that little flower, too- that's something I've never felt in a game. Having to think about the world from the point of view of an animal that lives in it instead of a Samus Aran or an Alucard that wants to breeze through it is something I don't think any other game has really captured, and the way your long term progress is gated by your short term progress is incredibly immersive.

I totally understand why this game isn't for everyone, and if I'm honest, it's still way too hard for me. But I think you guys have made something really special here, and I feel that (to some extent) people's main criticisms of the game might stem from the fact that we've never really seen a game like this.

Kientin

So currently I made it past the Shoreline.
I made it to that blue robo girl the game was directing me to annnnd... it seems she does nothing. I slept in the shelter again and got an achievement, but now I'm not too sure what to do as I expected a bit more haha. I guess I'll just turn around and go back the way I came?

You can switch hands by double-tapping pick up/eat

===

The pole plant is my favorite "creature" design so far. They make perfect sense in the world, and the design, especially when they're getting back into their camo state, is fantastic.

Favorite creature at the moment is probably the white lizard

https://youtu.be/MYS9XExDy48

jhSIK8F.gif

Danielsan

I woke up early to put another hour and a half in the game. I'm still in the Industrial Zone and just slowly trying to make my way to the next area. I got to a shelter near a gate and I was one rank short. Had to make my way back to search for food but the area has been crazy hostile and food has been limited. As a result I almost completely went rock bottom with my rank. I can definitely see the frustration for people there. Especially when you exit your shelter and there are three enemies right there with no real way to avoid conflict. Still, I love the game and don't mind. It has actually resulted in some really cool and intense escape situations. I've also ended up in some spear trowing fights with multiple enemies which has made me less wary of engaging in conflict if necessary. Trying to rank up nearby to get through the gate wasn't working for me so I ended up backtracking a bit and taking a different route. I've now found a new shelter ranked up a few times and if I manage to fill up on food again I will try to make the dangerous trek to the closed gate again.

To not be so futile, at least with lizards:
- Don't aim for the heads, they're armored there. Use stealth, backflips, terrain, and so on to expose the lizards' bodies. A single spear strike to the body can make a lizard not able to climb or slow down their movement
- Stealth here isn't just sight based. The animals can hear too. Crawling is quieter, and thrown stones can distract and draw predators to that spot

Oh wow, really? I've been going for their heads! Existing game logic just doesn't apply, does it? And it makes perfect sense given the feedback of sticks bouncing hard off their heads, and when you consider the flexibility of their bodies ...

And that was my next question, lol

I'm not really the biggest fan of games that 'explain their systems through observant play'. And it backfires too, because instead we're learning this stuff from having you explain it to us. It can also very easily lead to unnecessarily poor reviews.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
WOO LAUNCH DAY OVER!! And now the great patching begins...

im so stoked to see people working their way through the learning curve and starting to work as a community. i think this is going to be a lot of fun once the community starts to get deep into the game. I cant wait :O

feel free to message me here with any feedback or suggestions!

oldboss

What are you using for controls -- thumbstick? D-pad? Keyboard?

Thumbstick! The only aspect of movement bothering me right now is the low jump, although I already kinda got used to it.

I usually like controls people aren't big fans of. Witcher3 pre patch, GTA4, MGSGZ, TLG etc. I prefer my controls heavy and with input lag, so I was surprised to see RW wasn't as 'heavy' as I thought it would be. Might be a good thing though, given the fast paced and hectic nature of encounters. Feels just right to me.

Danielsan

I learned when it says "Press select to start over" that isn't really true if you keep watching interesting things happen and your life doesn't necessarily end if some sort of random events start happening :p.
Yup, definitely wait it out if you are grabbed by a lizard. I got caught by a lizard and was dragged to the next screen, the lizard then got in a fight with a different coloured lizard and I actually managed to escape with my life, despite the game over message earlier.

gfxtwin

Digging it so far, but I'm in the "the controls could be better" camp. Slugcat moves distractingly slow (probably intentional though) and climbing on poles could be more intuitive, but aside from that it's pretty rad.

Hopefully the devs are willing to actually change some aspects of the game's design because this game just feels unnecessarily punitive and frustrating. I really fail to understand the point of the ranking/gate system.

Frustrations aside, I think I also had different expectations. I thought it was gonna be some sort of puzzle-platformer game. Not some stealth/survival game. Maybe I didn't read enough about it and was content with the cool gifs you've been posting for years. :p For me the problem with the stealth portion of the game is that too much is random. Enemy placement is pure RNG. Which enemies appear on each screen seems entirely randomized. There's no way to read the room and prepare yourself. Enemies can and will show up out of nowhere. Dying without any fault of your own seems to be purposefully done by design.

Based on what I've read I'm going to wait and see on this game. Sounds like lots of cool ideas but a bit of a mess in execution. Sometimes that balances out in the long term, sometimes it doesn't.

Will see where this goes and if the dev smooths out some of the common complaints. For a hyped game to have so many negative reactions so early is a really bad sign, it should still be well and truly in the blind love phase of the release.

They could have included that action in the tutorial, lol.
One thing is to leave how the world works to be discovered by the player, but I always thought it's silly how, if you the player are the slugcat, you don't know how move your own body ¬¬. That knowledge should be taken for granted (therefore the game should explicitly tell you, the player).

More_Badass, given you are the no. 1 fanboy here :p, you should compile a list of beginner's tips with the move-set, and a list of light spoilers
(rank doors, rain timer, blue dots/fruits, pearls, main feature of every type of lizard by color, etc)

--------

It's true the game is hard as hell, but it's also true some people are playing it *wrong*. I've seen people on stream not eating all the food they find, and just moving forward with the minimum requirements. While you truly can rank up in some areas, more than you need, and in that way you can give yourself a buffer against future deaths. If you rank up to level 4 in the early levels that's good, that way even if you die twice later you will stay at rank 2, and still can advance. In a way it's like increasing your fat reserves for the future tough times.

Ionic

I really did not expect to be so turned off by this game, especially when I read the STALKER comparisons, but I just can't do it. The ludicrously slow and loose movement paired with the boring grinding and impending dread that the cool lizard battle I'm in will force me to redo 5 minutes of unsatisfying stuff if I fail broke me within a couple hours. This is on top of the little annoyances that keep getting me like going through pipes backwards half the time, getting caught on small pieces of geometry, and needlessly long hibernation/gate animations just come together in such a way to make playing seem unappealing. I don't know how much of their original vision the devs are thinking about trading off in the name of accessibility, but I hate to say I hope it's a decent amount. I never expected this to be the Kickstarter I felt burned by.

Edit: Let's make it abundantly clear the game is gorgeous, imaginative, and alive feeling though.

Just started up the game for the first time, and while I can't say much yet, right off the bat I can say it feels strange to not be able to move faster or slower depending on how far you push the analog stick.

Also, why is crawling just not assigned to a button for us to press or hold? I keep finding myself crawling even when I don't want to.

Danielsan

WOO LAUNCH DAY OVER!! And now the great patching begins...

im so stoked to see people working their way through the learning curve and starting to work as a community. i think this is going to be a lot of fun once the community starts to get deep into the game. I cant wait :O

feel free to message me here with any feedback or suggestions!
Hi James. I hope the launch day has treated the team well! I'm absolutely smitten with the game. I really hope the team is very careful about how to increase accessibility. I'd hate to see the game lose what makes it so unique. Perhaps split out the changes to a second difficulty option?

Also, am I the only one getting Heart of Darkness vibes from this game?

Drencrom

Just started up the game for the first time, and while I can't say much yet, right off the bat I can say it feels strange to not be able to move faster or slower depending on how far you push the analog stick.

Also, why is crawling just not assigned to a button for us to press or hold? I keep finding myself crawling even when I don't want to.

This is my main complaint regarding the controls. Just feels awkward to control at times because you are prone when you don't want to.

JamesPrimate

Neo Member
Hi James. I hope the launch day has treated the team well! I'm absolutely smitten with the game. I really hope the team is very careful about how to increase accessibility. I'd hate to see the game lose what makes it so unique. Perhaps split out the changes to a second difficulty option?

Thank you!!

Yes we really want to wait until the dust settles before making any significant changes.

I think early on there was a lot of understandable grumbling as people who were hyped on the game enthusiastically jumped in and directly into a brick wall (sorry!!), but now that the community is starting to piece together the mechanics, trade information and tips, were seeing the tone change a lot and I personally could not be happier with how that is all progressing.

That said there is plenty of low hanging fruit that we think should significantly smooth people's play experience without taking anything away from the challenge. We'll be following up!

<3

Danielsan

Thank you!!

Yes we really want to wait until the dust settles before making any significant changes.

I think early on there was a lot of understandable grumbling as people who were hyped on the game enthusiastically jumped in and directly into a brick wall (sorry!!), but now that the community is starting to piece together the mechanics, trade information and tips, were seeing the tone change a lot and I personally could not be happier with how that is all progressing.

That said there is plenty of low hanging fruit that we think should significantly smooth people's play experience without taking anything away from the challenge. We'll be following up!

<3
Great to hear! Looking forward to follow future developments. :)

For anyone who's made it to following screen in the Industrial Zone. I was wondering if there is a way to get across the gap to the edible plants on the other side? Perhaps I'm missing some kind of movement ability that I'm not aware of. Getting across would really help me rank up to get to the next area.

Another thing that makes the game feel strange to me is being able to control our jump height seems completely pointless, since the max height is so short.

I feel like I would have better control over what I want to do if I just always jumped the same height.

I think with a couple of tweaks here and there, this game could control VERY well.

===

The pole plant is my favorite "creature" design so far. They make perfect sense in the world, and the design, especially when they're getting back into their camo state, is fantastic.

Favorite creature at the moment is probably the white lizard

https://youtu.be/MYS9XExDy48

jhSIK8F.gif

I love how they're strategically placed next to shelters to steal the karma you just gained

actually no that's terrible

FiraB

Banned
Pounce should have been tied to a button press, bad design decision there but otherwise the games excellent for a survival game. Game doesn't care about you one bit, complete law of the jungle sometimes if you survive or not and other times you'll escape from pure skill.

Enjoyed the few hours I got in with it, will definitely come back after I finish a few other games from backlog. Also that rain is insane, if it's coming and you have to go backwards because its the only save point you know then move as fast as you can or die.

Tried playing this with analogue for a while last night, I have to say I can't see that this is the way to play at all. Far too&#8203; imprecise, too much unused travel. Seems like an old school game needing old school input.

Danielsan

Tried playing this with analogue for a while last night, I have to say I can't see that this is the way to play at all. Far too&#8203; imprecise, too much unused travel. Seems like an old school game needing old school input.
I think it depends on the player. I've been playing it using analog sticks and I've had zero issues with the controls.

Mandelbo

I do quite like the pole monsters, actually. They're very good at getting rid of enemies for you. One time there was a lizard in the room next to the lower Outskirts shelter, so I lured it back into the path of the pole monster and escaped as it was getting eaten.

Anybody's following the development of the game knows why they dropped the vita version in the end? It would have been the perfect indie title to bring on the go.

Valahart

So what's the general consensus of this game around here?

I read some reviews and they were all bashing ot pretty hard.

Destructoid said it controls super clunky and unresponsive, etc.

Is that true?

Top Bottom