• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I can't like the Witcher series. The gameplay is god awful and the characters are horrible people.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like the new Secret of Mana remake more than the original

Jeiiya

Chrono Trigger is a bit overrated, just flat out.

Also, I tend to enjoy remastered music when games get the HD/remaster treatment. Oh, and paid DLCs for purely cosmetic items is absolutely fine, even in fighting games.

Airola

I like the new Secret of Mana remake more than the original

Haven't played the remake, but based on the videos I've seen it has ditched the awful "scroll the screen when the player is near the edge of the screen" thing that completely ruined the original for me.

VulcanRaven

Fahrenheit and Beyond: Two Souls are a lot better than Heavy Rain. I liked playing it but I just didn't like it as much as other Quantic Dream games. Waving and shaking the controller around was really annoying. I hated those parts.

koosa

Banned
I forgot to add something - Fallout New Vegas is among the best in business when it comes to... shooting mechanics! Much better than Fallout 4. Same goes for stuff like Bioshock 1, Stalker, MAG etc. Clunky shooting is the best and most satisfying shooting. Maybe it's because im from mid Europe, love me some eurojank :)

Last edited:

bufkus

Metroidvania is a terrible term because Metroid and Castlevania are nothing alike (other than both started out as 2d platformers). It's only in the Metroid series where you find powerups that unlock new routes and progress through the game. Castlevania is just pure hack and slash with some RPG mechanics tossed in.

I refuse to use the term Metroidvania and only refer to games w/ Metroid-like gameplay as "Metroid-like games".

Last edited:
One thing I hear often is that Super Smash Bros. should limit the 3rd party characters because it's supposed to be about Nintendo mascots duking it out. I disagree. Nintendo should go balls to the wall crazy with the next installment. In fact, I think they should strike up licensing deals with Sony and Microsoft to get characters like Kratos and Master Chief in the next Smash. It won't happen of course, but I'd love to see it.

KevinKeene

Banned
Chapter 13 in FF15 is the best chapter. It's the only time over the course of the entire game that requires some skill from the player, both combat- and puzzle-wise. It drags on for a bit too long, but that's easily forgiven.

My favorite part in the game.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
The 'Jump' from 1080p to 4K/HDR isn't even worth talking about let alone spending money on.....I'll never care about it for gaming

Retro gaming, owning CRT'S, emulation, vintage console remakes are gonna really blow up in the near future

TheStatutoryKid

Neo Member
Oh I got a gang of this shit.

Third Strike is easily the worst accepted Street Fighter in series history. With the linearity of the combo system, the drab colors(in comparison to it's first two iterations), and the the most abysmal parry system ever created in a fighting game, I usually make people physically upset when I talk about that game. I take special aim at the music as well. It sounds like some stock music bullshit compared to the first two games, where they used lemotifs to perfection, and was actually produced by Capcom inhouse.

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks is the best use of the MK license. Honestly, the game deserves an update or sequel. The combat system was too damn good for MK, and the co-op was fun, especially when you had puzzles you could only solve with two players.

MK and Injustice are both garbage beyond presentation. The gameplay is doo doo butter, and it illustrates the main issues in Western fighting games.

Smash Bros is terrible when being played with "tournament" rules. You don't just gimp a game, stripping it of it's core, fundamental purpose(randomness), and call it a new game.

Playstation All Star Battle was godlike. As a fighting game player by nature, it resonated with me due to the complexity of the combo system, and it had characters in it that I actually give a fuck about.

MVCI is more fun than DBFZ. Frankly, Hyper Dragon Ball Z, the MUGEN created game, is the best DBZ fighting game I've ever played.

Freeman720

Neo Member
Metroidvania is a terrible term because Metroid and Castlevania are nothing alike (other than both started out as 2d platformers). It's only in the Metroid series where you find powerups that unlock new routes and progress through the game. Castlevania is just pure hack and slash with some RPG mechanics tossed in.

I refuse to use the term Metroidvania and only refer to games w/ Metroid-like gameplay as "Metroid-like games".
I mean, this thread is really for unpopular opinions, not things that are actually *objectively* incorrect.

The term "Metroidvania" came about in reaction to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which ABSOLUTELY had powerups that unlocked routes and progress(mist, bat, etc.) It also had a map system that was virtually identical to Super Metroid.

In addition, 90% of Castlevania games since SotN kept that formula intact. Yes, those games also have minor RPG elements, but the term Metroidvania obviously is intended to reflect the broader overall structure of the games, and not the specific gameplay elements.

The 'Jump' from 1080p to 4K/HDR isn't even worth talking about let alone spending money on.....I'll never care about it for gaming

Retro gaming, owning CRT'S, emulation, vintage console remakes are gonna really blow up in the near future

I want to believe, but I think more people are just technophiles that have latched on to the industry and play games purely because they like to marvel at rendering technology.

OH-MyCar

I want to believe, but I think more people are just technophiles that have latched on to the industry and play games purely because they like to marvel at rendering technology.

This post may make a videophile's eyes bleed, but: I've been tempted to get the Pro and One X only for framerate and loading improvements. If I buy a 4K television, games will naturally look blurrier because they're not native. Therefore, it doesn't hurt my feelings too much to keep a 1080p set and skip that dilemma entirely. I still play PS3 & 360 on a 720p set because they look much more crisp at the native resolution. As long as a framerate is good and the native resolution matches, I really don't care at this point. The HDR benefits interest me more for film.

For me, gaming'll be dragged along into the 4K era when they have enough of my favorite films in 4K (and most of my favorite films are unfortunately very, very old).

BANGS

Banned
This post may make a videophile's eyes bleed, but: I've been tempted to get the Pro and One X only for framerate and loading improvements. If I buy a 4K television, games will naturally look blurrier because they're not native. Therefore, it doesn't hurt my feelings too much to keep a 1080p set and skip that dilemma entirely. I still play PS3 & 360 on a 720p set because they look much more crisp at the native resolution. As long as a framerate is good and the native resolution matches, I really don't care at this point. The HDR benefits interest me more for film.

For me, gaming'll be dragged along into the 4K era when they have enough of my favorite films in 4K (and most of my favorite films are unfortunately very, very old).
I agree with very much of this. 4k is certainly here to stay, it's not a fad like 3D was, but it's really stupid to be jumping the gun on this expensive technology so soon when consoles are struggling to keep up with 1080/60...

I have no idea why anyone would buy the pro or x based on resolution alone. I got my pro for framerates, and in retrospect that was pretty dumb of me considering most games don't take advantage of it... I really wish I had the option to drop to 720 just to get a decent framerate on some of these more taxing/poorly optimized games. I guess this is why I will always be a PC gamer tho...

ScrapBrain

I don't care much for Zelda games, I never understood the hype machine behind it. Breath of the Wild visually looks like hot garbage

SystemUser

I mean, this thread is really for unpopular opinions, not things that are actually *objectively* incorrect.

The term "Metroidvania" came about in reaction to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which ABSOLUTELY had powerups that unlocked routes and progress(mist, bat, etc.) It also had a map system that was virtually identical to Super Metroid.

In addition, 90% of Castlevania games since SotN kept that formula intact. Yes, those games also have minor RPG elements, but the term Metroidvania obviously is intended to reflect the broader overall structure of the games, and not the specific gameplay elements.

Yeah, that post was objectively wrong. SOTN and most Castlevania games after have included powerups that unlock routes. These concepts were even experimented with in Simon's Quest and Castlevania III too. Super Castlevania IV and Rondo didn't though have anything like this.

checkcola

It really bothers me when people were acting like Breath of the Wild is one of the best games of all time right out the gate. I kind of think the test of time has to be applied for that to be true, certainly so if you're saying it is the best game of all time. It bothers me somehow Metacritic is somhow the decider of that (and then a random review from Jim Sterling supposedly put the end of it being the best game of all time, that's nonsense in my view on either side of the issue). And that it revolutionized open world gaming, kind of discounting many open world games that came before it. I just thought it was Nintendo catching up with the times. And I do think some of the reviews maybe had a half a point or so in nostalgia bias.

KevinKeene

Banned
BotW absolutely revolutionized open-world games. Doesn't mean you have to like that kind of open-world. But it's far from 'catching up'. Thst would have been far easier.

To stay on topic: I think I'm selling Mario Odyssey. Saw the credits, but far from all moons. But it's really not captivating me. A step up from 3D World, but ultimately a forgettable experience. Please give me Mario 64 VC for Switch, Nintendo.

BANGS

Banned
BotW absolutely revolutionized open-world games. Doesn't mean you have to like that kind of open-world. But it's far from 'catching up'.
I couldn't disagree more. I though BotW was just another generic open world game with some safe and expected Zelda flair and it got a free pass as most Nintendo games do...

But I also only played for like 5 hours and got bored so maybe I missed out on something? What was so revolutionary about it?

KevinKeene

Banned
I couldn't disagree more. I though BotW was just another generic open world game with some safe and expected Zelda flair and it got a free pass as most Nintendo games do...

But I also only played for like 5 hours and got bored so maybe I missed out on something? What was so revolutionary about it?

:/
The internet is your friend. And even if you didn't like BotW, calling its take on open-world 'generic' is simply wrong. I wish it was generic, unfortunately it's very unique.

Fuz

I've got to the first village and I'm not impressed with BotW either.

I mean, it's fun and a really good game. But revolutionary? No. It's a GREAT game, but not the incredible masterpiece that everyone is painting.

OH-MyCar

Ni no Kuni 1 was charming, beautiful and had a wonderful soundtrack. It's the absolute gold standard of presentation; all duct-taped to a dopey, irredeemably awful combat system that'd barely pass as a student project.

(2 looks promising but I have too many games in my backlog after being so hyped for part 1 and barely slogging through it. I'll eventually get around to it).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its funny how some people here kind of shocked that people considere BoTW open world "revolutionary" but not shocked that people in neogaf considere Horizon's open world "best open world" and it's not because Horizon does anything interesting with its open world design, no, no, nothing like that. It's all because it has pretty graphics.

But I guess here it doesn't matter how shallow and artificial the actual open world is, as long as you wrap it with pretty GRAPHICS it can pass as "best open world game of all time".

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
some people here kind of shocked that people considere BoTW open world "revolutionary" but not shocked that people in neogaf considere Horizon's open world "best open world"
I'm not shocked by either, but I certainly disagree with both...

Ridcully

Its funny how some people here kind of shocked that people considere BoTW open world "revolutionary" but not shocked that people in neogaf considere Horizon's open world "best open world" and it's not because Horizon does anything interesting with its open world design, no, no, nothing like that. It's all because it has pretty graphics.

But I guess here it doesn't matter how shallow and artificial the actual open world is, as long as you wrap it with pretty GRAPHICS it can pass as "best open world game of all time".

I think both of them are pretty unremarkable, having played a lot of open world games beforehand.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think both of them are pretty unremarkable, having played a lot of open world games beforehand.
Like or hate BoTW but you can deny that BoTW does much more interesting things with open world design than Horizon even did. In fact Horizon does absolutely nothing with open world. Its great for taking screenshots to show off but absolutely crap for exploring or make world feel alive which to me entire propose make game "open world" in the first place.

Dubloon7

Banned
Dark Souls 3 is the weakest, worst game of the entirety of Souls-style games. Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2 >>>>>>>>Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 had too many humanoid bosses, but Dark Souls 3 was outright boring, horribly laid out, and tremendously horrid lore and story

OH-MyCar

Dark Souls 3 is the weakest, worst game of the entirety of Souls-style games. Dark Souls 1 > Dark Souls 2 >>>>>>>>Dark Souls 3.

Dark Souls 2 had too many humanoid bosses, but Dark Souls 3 was outright boring, horribly laid out, and tremendously horrid lore and story

I strongly feel the same way and rarely if ever see that opinion.

The trajectory that a lot of the fanboys took is also a little interesting to me: "Dark Souls 2 is unmitigated garbage. Miyazaki will deliver on 3 and make a masterpiece again". Three is released. Everyone plays through it. Silence. Now it's "Holy shit, I can't wait to play the remaster of Dark Souls 1!". The amount of post-release talk on DS3 was nowhere near DS1, DS2 or Bloodborne. It doesn't correlate to the hype whatsoever.

I'm not implying that it's a bad game, but it's like everyone who trashed DS2 into oblivion had something to prove and DS3 didn't quite deliver on those lofty expectations.

iorek21

Dark Souls 3 had a good potential with that "worlds merge" plot and the return of an interconnected world, but it actually feels even less connected than Dark Souls 2 and shorter

Kinda wish they went the Bloodborne route, at least

DS_Joost

I can't like the Witcher series. The gameplay is god awful and the characters are horrible people.

God I thought I was the only one out there. Whenever I say to people that I do not like the Witcher 3, they start attacking me like I'm some kind of lunatic. Yes, I like RPGs. No, I don't like the Witcher 3. Yes I've played it for 20 hours before making my decision. No, I'm not calling it a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

I just get turned off by the minute to minute gameplay. I never feel in control of Geralt. Not when walking, not when in combat (yes, I've tried both movement modes). It's infuriatingly janky, and not in a funny way. Don't get me started on that godforsaken Roach. Inventory management makes me dizzy. So confusing and unhelpful, never mention slow as shit (Horizon's inventory is my standard now when it comes to smoothness). Witcher sense is awful and takes me out of the experience completely.

Then comes the setting. This is subjective, yes. I find the Witcher setting so bleak, so depressing and so filthy and gruff that I don't want to actively spend time in that world. As in, I don't want to be there any longer than I have to. I mean, I've got enough depressing shit in real life already. When I finished White Orchard for the time being, I thought that, you know, maybe the next area wouldn't be so depressing and down. Suprise! The next area is even more bleak and dark and depressing.

I know this is exactly on purpose. And they nailed that feeling very well, actually. That doesn't mean I find it fun, however. I prefer to have my games a little lighter on the depressing feelings, actually. This doesn't mean I don't appreciate games that get a little real or dark every now and then. But in the Witcher 3, you're constantly being bludgeoned over the head with how everyone is hanging on a thread for dear life, with no hope of salvation, no light at the end of the tunnel. It's all hopeless, it's all dreary, it's all darkness and grim. Everyone is an asshole, with good reason, but I don't like games where everyone is an asshole except for when they are called Doom. Mainly because I don't have to talk to these creatures.

Yes, I know it can have it's moments of humor. But most of the times, even the humor is dark around the edges. I'm aware of the DLC being a bit lighter, also, but I'm not going to trudge through 30 hours of depressing content to get to the good bits.

It's a shame, really, as I can see that the writing is very, very good. I get the compliments. Sometimes, when people talk glowingly about it, I get the urge to revisit it to see wether maybe this time, it clicks with me.

It never, ever does. And after trying six times, I gave up.

Also, screw people comparing this to Skyrim. Apples and oranges, two games with completely different mindsets and philosophies behind their creation.

Last edited:
PowerStone was light-years ahead of Smash Bros, and Nintendo always should have looked to that game for inspiration in where to take the series. I shit you not: It should have been an expanded PowerStone with Nintendo characters.

I'd say more humanoid bosses are for the best. Usually the best fights in these hack and slash games are the humanoid types.

Speaking of Witcher, I kinda think no other Witcher game got the tone as right as the first game did.

The Sex Conquest Collector Cards are one of the greatest innovations in gaming.

Vanilla Destiny was fine, people just had too high expectations is all. As soon as I found out it was going to be an MORPG I had a pretty good idea of what it would be like and that's what it was. The story was pretty bare bones but honestly, even after all the expansion packs I still don't really know it's all about.

Mortal Kombat 4 is the best game in the series to me. Up until MK9 came out MK3 and 4 were the only games that didn't have slow and clunky gameplay. I loved the weapon system in 4 where you could knock your opponent's weapon out of their hands and then pick it up and use it against them.

Top Bottom