• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

Ok I gave Metro Exodus two chances. The first two games I expected some sort of lower budget but this game was so hyped and got raving reviews and used as a ray tracing example etc. The whole damn thing is so janky....the worst culprit here is the sound mixing. I dont know if its worse playing with headphones or TV speakers. Something is so off with sound and dont get me started as two different conversations start at the same time with the same sound level.

I honestly thought this was going to be a Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 jump after all the reviews but jesus this game is full of bugs, low budget, boring story...

Last edited:

R6Rider

Ok I gave Metro Last Light two chances. The first two games I expected some sort of lower budget but this game was so hyped and got raving reviews and used as a ray tracing example etc. The whole damn thing is so janky....the worst culprit here is the sound mixing. I dont know if its worse playing with headphones or TV speakers. Something is so off with sound and dont get me started as two different conversations start at the same time with the same sound level.

I honestly thought this was going to be a Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 jump after all the reviews but jesus this game is full of bugs, low budget, boring story...
Do you mean Metro Exodus? Or the actual Metro 2033 and Last Light games?

Exodus was indeed garbage.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Do you mean Metro Exodus? Or the actual Metro 2033 and Last Light games?

Exodus was indeed garbage.

What? Exodus was the best Metro game.

Gorgeous mini open worlds oozing with atmosphere. Punchy guns and crazy good performance for the visuals on display. The enemies were also a notch or two above the blind/braindead ones in Last Light.

Rocco Schiavone

I am terrified of Microsoft and am always concerned about them.
RDR2 is boring trash with garbage controls.
qLtP47m.gif

Guilty_AI

People who say that graphics don't matter, would love their favorite games even more with upgraded graphics
Depends, sometimes "better" graphics or production in general can make the overall experience worse.

Graphics actually matter a lot, just not in the sense of "more produced" == "better"

Somewhere along the line we lost the meaning of JRPGs. It used to be well thought out mechanics that will stick through out the game and even late game, it would be great production values with amazing stories for most of them. Now it is just anime faces doing flashy stuff.

I played GTA San Andreas and GTA 5 back to back recently. They're basically the same ass games. Get in the car, drive somewhere while listening to dialogue, get out of car, shoot some dudes, get in the car, drive home while listening to dialogue. Rinse and repeat. And GTA 6 likely won't be any different. Boring!

brian0057

Horizon Forbidden West is a generic Ubisoft-style open-world game saved by Sony's production values (visuals, mocap). Horizon as a franchise is overrated and Aloy is an incredibly dull protagonist.
It will never not be funny how Guerrilla released both Horizon games right next to gaming behemoths like Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring, and both times it was rightfully forgotten.

DelireMan7

Now that I see this thread resurface, I want to amend to one of my statement.

I somewhere qualified Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice of being an average action game with a boring combat system.

Beginning of this year I decided to give it another go to see if my opinion changed. And it has a lot ! Game is freaking fantastic !
I'd still argue it should do a better job encouraging prosthetic tools, aside from the obvious interaction, because you can easily go through the game just using L1 without really noticing the prosthetic tools.

Anyway ! I loved swap around my tools and combat art for cool looking combat.

sxodan

It will never not be funny how Guerrilla released both Horizon games right next to gaming behemoths like Breath of the Wild and Elden Ring, and both times it was rightfully forgotten.
I tried to love both games, I swear. I started Zero Dawn two times, first on PS4, then again on PC and just couldn't force myself to play it for more than 10 hours. As for Forbidden West, I was blown away by the game in the first couple of hours but then I slowly started to realise how boring its open world is under all that shiny visuals.
I don't hate the franchise, It's just that I don't understand why people call it a benchmark for open-world games, like wth?
Now that you've mentioned Elden Ring, I absolutely loved every minute of it. Imho, it's a perfect example of how open-world games should be. I loved exploring all the regions and never felt bored. Who would've thought that mocap, super realistic faces and fancy graphics don't mean a good game? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Chronicle

Depends, sometimes "better" graphics or production in general can make the overall experience worse.

Graphics actually matter a lot, just not in the sense of "more produced" == "better"
I'm not coming to argue but really what is an example of a great looking game that worse? Cause I mean worse than what? Compared to itself with poorer graphics and better gameplay? That's just hypothetical nonsense in the end.

Ie most might say The Order 1886. But to me I liked it. I liked that it looked great too with bad ass characters and weapons.

Or Mario that looks like shit but plays, some might say 'great' but which I can't stand.

The two do not offset each other like gamers think.

Guilty_AI

I'm not coming to argue but really what is an example of a great looking game that worse? Cause I mean worse than what? Compared to itself with poorer graphics and better gameplay? That's just hypothetical nonsense in the end.

Ie most might say The Order 1886. But to me I liked it. I liked that it looked great too with bad ass characters and weapons.

Or Mario that looks like shit but plays, some might say 'great' but which I can't stand.

The two do not offset each other like gamers think.
I mean in the sense of cluttering the visuals.

In an retro shooter for example, you get into a room and in 2 seconds you already know everything you need to know about it. On the other hand, if the scenarios have too much detail to them, it overloads the players senses, it might end up with you wasting more time than necessary looking for 'interesting things' in the level, possibly just giving up proper exploration altogether since it ends up feeling too much of a hassle, I remember having this problem with RAGE.

It can also make combat encounters more of a pain since differentiating enemies from the scenario requires more mental effort and strains the eye more. Some might argue this is good, but only in some types of game really.

That is not to say you can't have modern visuals and good visual design. MGSV and DOOM 2016 achieve that relatively well for example.
Some games also try to get around that by "highlighting" important things with stuff like glowing items, UI prompts, minimap icons or the infamous "yellow paint", but abusing those kinds elements can often make the game too mechanical and monotonous.

Last edited:

SweetShark

That Callisto one is very controversial around here and in most outlets. The hate boner for that one is strong. But as a The Evil Within fan, I saw it coming a miles away.
Very interesting for saying that. A reviewer with the name Nitro Rad also liked Callisto Protocol (not a lot but didn't hate it) and he is also a big fan of the first Evil Within. So I guess it 'clicks' differently for a specific mindset of players. Btw Nitro Rad is a great guy. Have a look.

GymWolf

Very interesting for saying that. A reviewer with the name Nitro Rad also liked Callisto Protocol (not a lot but didn't hate it) and he is also a big fan of the first Evil Within. So I guess it 'clicks' differently for a specific mindset of players. Btw Nitro Rad is a great guy. Have a look.

That's because the evil within is a much better game even with all his flaws, callisto fans try to justify people hating on callisto because they don't like the genre, but the narrative is way different unfortunately.

People bought the fucking game because they were expecting at least the level of a dead space game, boy we were wrong...

Also the evil withing doesn't have the real survival horror difficulty mode locked behind a paywall.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Rockstar games are always good but never great.

Played and finished probably most of them since san andreas, i honestly do not understand how the hell they manage to get 10s across the board with tank controls and terrible gameplay overall especially when the current game media pretend they put gameplay over everything.

They are always well made 7s. Perfect games if you are unemployed or in between jobs.

But other than that? No.

GymWolf

I bought the game expecting Sci-fi Horror in the vein of Dead Space and boy was I right. :messenger_sunglasses:
I dare say Callisto Protocol is on-par with RE2: Remake. Both provide short, but high-quality survival horror experiences.
Good for you, for me (and many others) it's barely a 6 with nice production values and definitely a far away from quality stuff like re2 remake or any decent horror game from the past years (not many tbh)

Even stuff like tlou2 on grounded in the sections with the infected is a much better survival horror than anything inside callisto.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If Callisto Protocol’s graphics were worse, it wouldn’t be as well liked.

The Spiderman PC modding community has pumped out better suits than Insomniac.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
GTA5 and Far Cry 3 are heavily overrated mediocre experiences that are lacking in comparison to their predecessors and successors (GTA4, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)

Spider-Man 2018 and Sunset Overdrive are far superior to both God of War reboots.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is better than Super Mario World.
Im Ready Lets Go GIF by Leroy Patterson

GymWolf

If Callisto Protocol’s graphics were worse, it wouldn’t be as well liked.

The Spiderman PC modding community has pumped out better suits than Insomniac.
Tell that to the universally acclaimed re2 remake that has some of the best graphic from past gen or when the ds remake is gonna score better...

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tell that to the universally acclaimed re2 remake that has some of the best graphic from past gen or when the ds remake is gonna score better...

RE2 Remake was a fantastic package. Something rarely seen in modern games - extra content included with your purchase.
RE3 Remake lacked the extra content, and didn’t do as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

RE2 Remake was a fantastic package. Something rarely seen in modern games - extra content included with your purchase.
RE3 Remake lacked the extra content, and didn’t do as well.
But re3 remake had the same graphic of re2 remake, a great graphic, so that is not what make the games score lower.

Evil withing has 75 mc, so even the mediocre graphic didn't helped much with the score.

Top Bottom