• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

He doesn't like what he doesn't like, even he does gives his reason, does it really matter?

Also its not that hard to figure out why he doesn't like some of the games on the list. He has DMCV avatar so I can guess that he likes fast paced combat which explains why he doesn't like games like Monster Hunter and Dark Souls which have more deliberate and slower combat system.

Wow!!!
You can read people very well! That's it! <3

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I'll do you both one better and say all eight of the mainline Resident Evil games and their respective remakes are at least 'good'. Its a consistently quality series despite all the changes over the years.
I think it definitely helps to put them in separate brackets. If you don't look at Resident Evil 5 or 6 as 'Survival Horror' you are more likely to enjoy them, at least that is how I felt. They are action games, with some horror elements.

Carna

Banned
I hope the new Sonic show, takes a jab at game grumps and rest of the losers who shit on the franchise, yeah I said it

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are in cahoots with the white house.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
Most platformer games, besides Sonic games (not every one of them) are dull to me. They incorporate the same basic mechanics and gameplay that's been done hundreds of times before. The closest ones I bother with is Ape Escape/Mario 64/some non-Sonic Sonic Team games/Jumping Flash/Ratchet

It's not a good idea to hoard a bunch of games, if you're not going to play them. Let alone buying a game just because you want to be apart of the cool crowd or whatever

The Silent Hill series is vastly overrated. Great atmosphere/music/enemy design but the gameplay is mediocre at best.
The Sega Saturn was Sega's best console.
The WiiU is a brilliant piece of hardware.
The XMB (Cross Media Bar) is the best console UI of all time.
Mario 3D World is the best Mario title since Super Mario World.
Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda.
OG 96 Resident Evil is the best game in the series.
Resident Evil 4 hasn't aged well.
Ratchet & Clank is a Top 5 franchise (of all time).

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PlayStation sans a Japanese focus is just a offbrand XBOX without gamepass DO NOT WANT
VR console gaming is a complete waste of time and money
Klonoa 2 is better than any 3D Mario game
The last 5 years of gaming are completely forgettable other than around ten really good games

According to Google...

Art - the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Art - the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.

I'd say they're art. Mostly bad art.

Miles708

The classical arts are indeed art.

Videogames are not.
They contain art but they themselves are not art.
Is it because they're too commercial by nature?
Or because they encapsulate many artistic themes (visual art, music, literature) without focusing on a specific one?
Or because they're just stupid?

Not attacking or judging (or disagreeing), honestly curious.

turtlepowa

Banned
According to Google...

Art - the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Art - the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.

I'd say they're art. Mostly bad art.
According to google 20y old chicks in my neigbourhood wanna bang me......
But ontopic: I say they are art.

DonJorginho

Resident Evil 4 hasn't aged well.
Finally someone agrees! It always frustrates me when people say we don't need a remake as 4 holds up amazingly well. If you aren't playing on the Wii the controls are absolutely dog shit, my first playthrough was on the Wii and replaying it on the PS5 via bc was terrible as the controls felt so stilted and awkward, really soured the experience compared to the gold standard on the Wii.

That is what I believe hasn't aged well anyway, maybe you think different aspects need improving upon for a remake.

brian0057

Is it because they're too commercial by nature?
Or because they encapsulate many artistic themes (visual art, music, literature) without focusing on a specific one?
Or because they're just stupid?

Not attacking or judging (or disagreeing), honestly curious.
A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.
Games live on a scale. The more focus there is on its artistic merit, the less of a game it ceases to be.

Videogames are like a museum.
The building itself is not art but it contains every form of art possible.

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.
Games live on a scale. The more focus there is on its artistic merit, the less of a game it ceases to be.

Videogames are like a museum.
The building itself is not art but it contains every form of art possible.
Until just before this post, I have strongly disagreed with your points. But I really like the museum comparison.

Thanks for widening my view on this matter.

Finally someone agrees! It always frustrates me when people say we don't need a remake as 4 holds up amazingly well. If you aren't playing on the Wii the controls are absolutely dog shit, my first playthrough was on the Wii and replaying it on the PS5 via bc was terrible as the controls felt so stilted and awkward, really soured the experience compared to the gold standard on the Wii.

That is what I believe hasn't aged well anyway, maybe you think different aspects need improving upon for a remake.
Yea, for it seems like the camera swings too aggressively and it's placement seems off when compared to the "behind the shoulder" viewpoint that other games implemented after RE4. My main issue is that it's too repetitive, too many crowds to deal with, and it's not like the game is difficult on Normal difficulty, it just drags at times. Could have used more exploring/puzzles. I feel like Village will be a good mix of RE4 battles and classic style exploration/puzzles.

DonJorginho

Yea, for it seems like the camera swings too aggressively and it's placement seems off when compared to the "behind the shoulder" viewpoint that other games implemented after RE4. My main issue is that it's too repetitive, too many crowds to deal with, and it's not like the game is difficult on Normal difficulty, it just drags at times. Could have used more exploring/puzzles. I feel like Village will be a good mix of RE4 battles and classic style exploration/puzzles.
I get you there completely, some more variation would really add to the already great experience of RE4.

The game is never hard, there are just sometimes where you are actively running around I feel looking for that one or two enemies you've failed to kill. So I think some more cleverly placed enemies could do much better for the game too.

And on the subject puzzles/exploration I agree! Would really compliment the experience.

Umbasaborne

i understand re4’s impact, i bought it on ps2 back then, i was around for it. I just never thought it was very fun. Re5, 6, 7, 2 and 3 remake, and 1 remake are all much, MUCH better games

Platform exclusives are good for the industry.

The incentive to create a true classic is much higher for a platform holder than for 3rd party developers that are incentivized to maximize immediate revenue and engagement. Also, risks are lower for big bets. Funding games for GamePass has a lot of the same benefits too (a desire for evergreen and variety vs. quick cash).

Last edited:

brian0057

Stealth games without killing the enemies aren't fun. Non-violent playthroughs in games like Dishonored aren't fun.
That's because Dishonored isn't a good stealth game. It's steampunk Bioshock. And playing steampunk Bioshock without using steampunk Plasmids is boring.

The Thief trilogy is what you should be playing for proper stealth gaming.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
That's because Dishonored isn't a good stealth game. It's steampunk Bioshock. And playing steampunk Bioshock without using steampunk Plasmids is boring.

The Thief trilogy is what you should be playing for proper stealth gaming.

I'm actually playing the Thief reboot currently and played the OG trilogy.

Still want to kill all the dudes.

Bragr

Aerith ruins the FF7 story, she's too nice and they make her do corny things like tend to flowers to highlight it. The opening cutscene where she walks around with flowers in the city is ridiculous. She doesn't come off as a real character in the world of FF7 but instead a sympathy ploy.

Journey is a scam, making players emotional by sad music and imagery is the easiest simplest thing to do, I could show you a sad image and a sad song now and you would get affected. It's a generic story for players who never watched a decent movie or read a decent book.

orosballs

Not usre if this is in the realm of "controversial", but it'd be nice to have a new wave race or even a wave race remix on the switch. Also, having the old WWF games on the nintendo online store would be sweet plus some Tatsunoko vs Capcom....:messenger_downcast_sweat::messenger_downcast_sweat:

regawdless

Banned
Then maybe stealth games aren't for you.
Also, "Thief reboot"? There's no such thing.

They are. I love being stealthy and take out the enemies. I have no satisfaction in just avoiding them.

Wait, the forth Thief game, just called "Thief", isn't a reboot? Looks pretty rebooty to me.

brian0057

They are. I love being stealthy and take out the enemies. I have no satisfaction in just avoiding them.

Wait, the forth Thief game, just called "Thief", isn't a reboot? Looks pretty rebooty to me.
In that case, Splinter Cell: Blacklist might be up your alley.
I love ghosting stealth games but if you wanna go panther, that's your best option.
You also have the Hitman games. Superb stuff.

Also, you keep mentioning this... "Thief" reboot?
I have no idea what you're talking about.
There are only 3 Thief games.

regawdless

Banned
In that case, Splinter Cell: Blacklist might be up your alley.
I love ghosting stealth games but if you wanna go panther, that's your best option.
You also have the Hitman games. Superb stuff.

Also, you keep mentioning this... "Thief" reboot?
I have no idea what you're talking about.
There are only 3 Thief games.

Haha ok now I gotcha :messenger_tears_of_joy:

iQuasarLV

While not a video game, Magic: The Gathering is a shit game to play socially. Do not try to invest into it. It is a pit of despair of which you cannot come out of without scars.

Empty open worlds are good.

Look, I'm playing a game for entertainment. I don't care if a fantasy landscape is "empty". Let me enjoy flying through some fantasy landscape listening to killer music and collecting berries and shit without some stupid fucking floating icon reminding me that i have tasks to do.

I feel like some people want video games to be WORK. Does nobody play games to chill these days?

Top Bottom