• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Random thoughts.

You know how back in the 1200’s they didn’t have our technology? They didn’t have access to all the information online, didn’t know as much about the world, didn’t have social media, etc… and so probably led simpler lives. You could probably say they didn’t use as much of their brain power on a daily basis as we do today with driving cars, reading daily instant global news, programming, etc…

Makes me wonder if hundreds of years from now people will look back on us the same and if they will use a lot more of their brain power on a daily basis… or if perhaps newer technology will get people to use less on a daily basis.
I think we've already surpassed the amount of information our brains can naturally process. There is a surplus of information, more than any individual can hold in their head. And we already offload a lot to our personal computing devices.

I think human brains in the future WILL have more processing power, but it will be because we have cybernetic assistance. Implants to increase bandwidth.

GeekyDad

I think we've already surpassed the amount of information our brains can naturally process. There is a surplus of information, more than any individual can hold in their head. And we already offload a lot to our personal computing devices.

I think human brains in the future WILL have more processing power, but it will be because we have cybernetic assistance. Implants to increase bandwidth.
And that very well could account for the rejection of the evolution of A.I. tech by a large portion of society. Seems like a natural fear, but like most things in nature, it will likely work itself out. But this current generation seems to have the highest level of brain (brain cancers, etc.) and emotional dysfunctions in known human history.

And that very well could account for the rejection of the evolution of A.I. tech by a large portion of society. Seems like a natural fear, but like most things in nature, it will likely work itself out. But this current generation seems to have the highest level of brain (brain cancers, etc.) and emotional dysfunctions in known human history.
I will not be welcoming this cybernetic augmentation myself, but I fully expect I'd fall on the losing side of history as, over time, it seems inevitable humanity goes that way.

That's an interesting point on the brain issues...I wonder if we didn't have the tools in place to measure them and that's why it appears to have increased?

GeekyDad

I will not be welcoming this cybernetic augmentation myself, but I fully expect I'd fall on the losing side of history as, over time, it seems inevitable humanity goes that way.

That's an interesting point on the brain issues...I wonder if we didn't have the tools in place to measure them and that's why it appears to have increased?
I think of it more in terms of (regarding brain and emotional issues) as certain elements of logic having to catch up with the elements that have created these technologies. We can build nuclear reactors, but we didn't work out the other half -- waste disposal, influences on ourselves and the rest of the planet. I'm sure those things can (and probably should) be worked out, as nuclear energy seems to be vastly more efficient than other forms we've been using for more than a century.

It's almost like our engines (processing units) are fast as hell, but we have no brakes (virus protection software). Probably not good.

So, like you seem to have suggested, we need either an upgrade or sorts, or an additional processing unit (so to speak) to work those pieces together if we're to have more success as a species.

I don't know...I'm talkin' out my ass. I'm old. :D

I hate shaving. I avoid it for as long as possible. I know when it's time to shave when I can bite my moustache or it gets caught in the ring pulls of my beer cans :messenger_tears_of_joy: The last time I shaved was Christmas day. I know this because I got a fancy ass new shaver which I don't think I'll use much. Maybe it's a hint that I need to shave more often! I must look a mess I know but god I really hate shaving.

When I shave I look like a fucking thumb as I don't have much hair on my head either lol. I try not to shave all my beard/moustache off and leave some stubble. I can't style my head hair so want to do something with my beard but I can't let it grow too long. I did think about trimming just the moustache so it wouldn't get caught in shit and full of food when I eat lol but I don't want to end up looking like a fucking neckbeard. The caveman look is what I'm stuck with although I suppose cavemen would have much larger impressive beards than mine.

Maybe I should just say fuck it and it let grow. It'd be cool to have a dumbledore beard i can tuck into my belt. Wouldn't mind a gandalf beard either.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
You know how back in the 1200’s they didn’t have our technology? They didn’t have access to all the information online, didn’t know as much about the world, didn’t have social media, etc… and so probably led simpler lives. You could probably say they didn’t use as much of their brain power on a daily basis as we do today with driving cars, reading daily instant global news, programming, etc…

Makes me wonder if hundreds of years from now people will look back on us the same and if they will use a lot more of their brain power on a daily basis… or if perhaps newer technology will get people to use less on a daily basis.

Looking at the average person, I would argue they don't use their brain much these days either. Learning mathematics, you would have limited resources to do the calculations. Today, just plug that into Wolfram Alpha or now ChatGPT and viola, problem solved.

We have more resources but not more intelligence IMO.

Looking at the average person, I would argue they don't use their brain much these days either. Learning mathematics, you would have limited resources to do the calculations. Today, just plug that into Wolfram Alpha or now ChatGPT and viola, problem solved.

We have more resources but not more intelligence IMO.
I'm bad for using Wolfram Alpha to do basic shit like "How many days since/until" or "what percentage is x of y?" lol.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dear diary,

People on my team were beating their head against a wall trying to figure out why an app a previous employee wrote was taking several minutes to update a single record through the front end. They peddled it off on me. It took me about ten minutes to see that in all of their SQL statements (MySQL) they used 'like' rather than '=', which effectively rendered the table indexes useless and made the app search through the now hundreds of thousands of rows in each table when they issued a search or update. It worked fine when the database was around 20% of its current size, now obviously not so much.

I pretended that it took me a bunch of alterations to the C# code in the front end and embellished how bad the SQL was written, made it look like I was busy for five hours when I corrected it after a quick 30 minute review and a few replace commands in Notepad++.

This is how you work smarter, not harder.

I realize no one will ever ask me what my pronouns are but if they do, I’m going with we/we.
i know i'm making myself look like a dumb idiot but i didn't know what pronouns were until all this shit blew up. i mean, i learned about verbs, adjectives, nouns, pronouns, etc in school but i was probably too high to pay attention. i know adjective is for describing shit. i don't remember what the rest are.

so thanks to the woke mob for that at least but i still don't really know what it all means.

i'm basically a dumb monkey

iu

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
i know i'm making myself look like a dumb idiot but i didn't know what pronouns were until all this shit blew up. i mean, i learned about verbs, adjectives, nouns, pronouns, etc in school but i was probably too high to pay attention. i know adjective is for describing shit. i don't remember what the rest are.

so thanks to the woke mob for that at least but i still don't really know what it all means.

i'm basically a dumb monkey

iu
It's just shit that happens online. I've never met a person who actually made a big deal out of it IRL.

Crossing fingers.

In the middle of interviews for a new job. So I'm waiting for a call back to proceed to more. Only a few so far, but I expect a lot more. I'm feeling good about getting a call for #3. I dont know how many is needed to score the job, but I have a feeling it'll be 4 given the chain of command I'd need to go through. Some close calls I had scoring a job the past 3 years included: 4 interviews at one place and 8 interviews at another. Ya, 8. Missed on both.

Fuck does it get harder to score a job later in my career!

I'm spending my sunday afternoon reading about wall plugs :messenger_unamused:

I wish I knew more about electricity. My plug extension thing crapped out and it's a pain in the ass having to plug everything into the socket all the way across the room. I have a plug behind my bed but I need a long extension to reach it. I tried replacing the fuse which seems to have fixed it but the fuse that was in it is 13A. I put a 10A one in. I'm only charging my phone and/or plugging my Switch into it so I hope it's OK. My iPhone charger says it has up to 3A and Switch is up to 2.6A. I don't know if you just add them up so it doesn't exceed the fuse Amps? If I'm only using 5.6A then I'm no where near breaking the fuse.... I think.

This sad James Berich cuck in Western Australia needs to get a life. He is spamming up some dead forum for anxiety sufferers, pestering me on wikis, and subscribing to me on YouTube because Google essentially says fuck you to your privacy, when trolls can easily hide who they're following. And he claims the alternate accounts aren't his, when they clearly are.

The WA cops do nothing when you tell them you reside overseas. But what a loser nonetheless. 37 years of age, as well.

Went and cancelled my bank cards. Got a notification from my bank saying my old card had been declined. The card expired in September there. It looked like an authentication check because it was for £0.00 and it was from "T.ME" whatever the hell that is. I tried searching online but got nowhere.

I'm probably overreacting but it seems suspicious. I've never had this happen before. Someone must have my old card details and are checking to see if it's active. I don't use this card to pay for subscriptions so it's not that I've got it saved somewhere and a service is checking it. I mostly use the card in stores or for small one off purchases online and I don't tend to keep it saved in my accounts.

Something doesn't feel right though. For the last few months I started keeping my wallet in my bag instead of leaving it at home. I don't have a locker at work, which is the only time it's out of sight, so really anybody could go rummaging through it. I wouldn't like to think this is what happened. I've been telling myself not to leave my wallet in my bag but now this happens.... hmmm.

There isn't really a reason for me to have my wallet with me anyway as I could just use my phone. God I feel like a fucking idiot now I'm typing it out lol. How could I be so stupid!

Cancelled my debit card and credit card just to be safe. Need to wait on new ones being sent out now. I'll be leaving my wallet at home now and just using my phone.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I don't know why but I am kind of a Don Lemon fan. Just seems like a fun guy.
/looks up Don Lemon.

Huh...okay.

On an unrelated topic, what's with all the anti-Middle Eastern racism in the "Pics that make you laugh" thread? (the question is not directed at you, BB.)

Last edited:

NeoGuff

I'm spending my sunday afternoon reading about wall plugs :messenger_unamused:

I wish I knew more about electricity. My plug extension thing crapped out and it's a pain in the ass having to plug everything into the socket all the way across the room. I have a plug behind my bed but I need a long extension to reach it. I tried replacing the fuse which seems to have fixed it but the fuse that was in it is 13A. I put a 10A one in. I'm only charging my phone and/or plugging my Switch into it so I hope it's OK. My iPhone charger says it has up to 3A and Switch is up to 2.6A. I don't know if you just add them up so it doesn't exceed the fuse Amps? If I'm only using 5.6A then I'm no where near breaking the fuse.... I think.
If you haven’t got a 13A fuse for a replacement a 10A fuse will be fine for what you are using it for. Just don’t plug in heaters or kettles and big stuff like that and you’ll be fine

If you haven’t got a 13A fuse for a replacement a 10A fuse will be fine for what you are using it for. Just don’t plug in heaters or kettles and big stuff like that and you’ll be fine
it's been going fine. like i said only for charging my devices and at most charging my switch when playing it in bed.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have to admit, I really want a new PlayStation portable. The Steam Deck is a nice alternative, but I'd like the entire PS ecosystem, all of my purchases, etc, in one place. I'd just like to only buy from one store when possible and deal with one friend's list.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I have to admit, I really want a new PlayStation portable. The Steam Deck is a nice alternative, but I'd like the entire PS ecosystem, all of my purchases, etc, in one place. I'd just like to only buy from one store when possible and deal with one friend's list.
I will sell you my vita.

Chicken Taquitos this Sunday.
18 Avocados, Check. 4 pounds; Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts, Check. Garlic, Sea Salt, Tomatoes, Onions, Cilantro, Jalapenos, Check.
Sipping some Johnnie Walker Gold atm.

Random movie thought: I think I will locate and watch class of 1999. Should check it out if you haven't. It's 80s AF.

LordOfChaos

I don't know that that's true, going further back than the 1200s our ancestors all knew hundreds of different plants and what they did and what would kill you and what would help, survival skills, and who knows what else (apparently our species has been doing mild brain surgery for a long ass time?????*). Life still wasn't that easy in the 1200s and their brains would have been filled with something to get by, unless they were just some taken care of princess or something. Our mental capacity has been about the same for all of our 250,000-100,000 years as a species. It's just now, instead of survival, it's filled with trivialities like celebrity gossip or memes to reference for hundreds of scenarios etc.

Sure, I couldn't explain computer science to a small Victorian child. But they'd definitely outrun me on some topics, just more related to survival in their era.

GeekyDad

Chicken Taquitos this Sunday.
18 Avocados, Check. 4 pounds; Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts, Check. Garlic, Sea Salt, Tomatoes, Onions, Cilantro, Jalapenos, Check.
Sipping some Johnnie Walker Gold atm.

Random movie thought: I think I will locate and watch class of 1999. Should check it out if you haven't. It's 80s AF.

God damn, what city are you feeding?

I want to get back into playing guitar. I have 4 guitars stored away but I haven't touched them in years. Thought about selling them but can't bring myself to.

Probably going to need to buy new strings and make sure they are set up properly. Hope they aren't fucked with sitting in a cupboard for years.

GeekyDad

I want to get back into playing guitar. I have 4 guitars stored away but I haven't touched them in years. Thought about selling them but can't bring myself to.

Probably going to need to buy new strings and make sure they are set up properly. Hope they aren't fucked with sitting in a cupboard for years.
Yeah, don't.

And yes, you will absolutely need new strings.

Are they acoustic guitars, or electric? If electric, are they solid or hollow body?

Artoris

*lights go out in the middle of the night*

Brain: “Remember E.T.?”

Me: “Nice try, brain. It’s a family movie.”

Brain: “Remember the scene when ET is a cold dead corpse?”

heart-beating-out-of-chest.gif
When you are awake in the middle of the night, try not to open your eyes as you nether know what will be looking back at you

As I eat dinner, one of the movie channels is showing the first Michael Keaton Batman movie. I havent seen this movie in a long time. Ive only watched 20 minutes of it mid way through the movie.

It's over 30 years old so you cant expect great effects and it was when superhero movies could be bright and goofy, but so far I got to say it's pretty good. I like it better than the recent Batman movie.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's weird going back to old subreddits from my college days like /r/kitchenconfidential. I live a completely different life now and it feels weird engaging with users I remember from years ago who are still grinding that line life.

GeekyDad

Electric solid. Just remembered I have 5 guitars :messenger_tears_of_joy: les Pauls And Stratocasters.
Then, you should be okay with regards to warping, unless your storage is very damp or extremely dry. But yeah, you may need to adjust the action. I believe both of those types of guitars allow for adjustments in two ways, the bridge and the truss rod. Adjusting both is fairly straightforward, but know what you're doing before you begin. If you turn the truss rod too much, you could do serious damage to the guitar neck. But look it up on the Web. A ruler and an allen wrench is usually all you need.

Then, you should be okay with regards to warping, unless your storage is very damp or extremely dry. But yeah, you may need to adjust the action. I believe both of those types of guitars allow for adjustments in two ways, the bridge and the truss rod. Adjusting both is fairly straightforward, but know what you're doing before you begin. If you turn the truss rod too much, you could do serious damage to the guitar neck. But look it up on the Web. A ruler and an allen wrench is usually all you need.
a few years ago i done the truss rod adjustment on one of my les pauls because i was having some buzzing on the frets that adjusting the bridge didn't fix. the other les paul played perfectly. the les pauls are from 2006-2010 but they are in really good condition except one which has a bit of chipped paint where i tried replacing the nut myself lol.

the last time i checked one or two of the stratocasters had fret buzz on certain frets but it didn't bother me enough to try fix it. one of the stratocasters i think was made in 2002 or 2003. it has some chips to the paint but it's been like that for the last 18 years or something so not really a problem. the other two stratocasters are cheap knock off brands. i know one is not in good condition because i got it for like £50 off someone who was going to throw it in the bin and i was going to fix it up. the other one i think is the one with fret buzzing.

i should really find the time to get them out and see how they are. one les paul is in a solid case, the other in a gig bag, and the strats are sitting naked :messenger_tears_of_joy:

on one of the les pauls i wanted to replace the pick up. it has a p100 but i want to put the original p90 back in it. i wouldn't say i'm an expert or good at soldering but i bought a seymour duncan pick up for my stratocaster and put that in. i had a look at the wiring diagrams for the les paul but don't feel confident about it lol. might see if i can take it into my local guitar shop and have them do it. it's a les paul junior so it should be simple because it only has the p100 and it's a direct replacement. i'm not messing about with a bridge and neck pick up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom