• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate Nintendo's E3 Direct

RATE

• Total voters

Labolas

B. They had the best show. Although there was no Bayo or Metroid, their press conference was just game trailers with little to no fluff. I was kinda bored with Microsoft's conference. Square's the runner up. Although if you're not FF fan (that's me), then it didn't do much for you. Avengers looks like a hot mess so far.

Also ASTRAL F'N CHAIN.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I gave it an A. Mostly known quantities with a few surprises (Contra, Panzer Dragoon, No More Heroes 3, Breath of the Wild follow-up tease), but I'm interested in the majority of the line-up.

Ogbert

Went for a B (as I’d never really hand out an A unless they announced Skate 4).

Just refreshing to get lots of games, lots of gameplay and no corporate bullshit.

Disappointing that online and VC is still ass.

tkscz

Basically. No hardware revision, no MP4, no Bayo 3. Though I went D and not F- because Astral Chain (and maybe Luigi's Mansion) at least looks cool, and Ubi/SE were worse. Surprised the vast majority are going A.

Remake of Trials of Mana and the Mana collection. More Astral Chains and Damon X Machina release date, a real No More Heroes 3, Luigi's Mansion, better look at new features for the Link's awakening Remake, actual GAMEPLAY of Ultimate Alliance 3 (which already makes it better than A-Day from where I stand), Banjo-Kazoo for Smash, BotW direct sequel. And Animal Crossing New Horizons. There was just a lot for me to like about it, even with Prime 4 being a no show. But I'm not giving it an A though. It gets a B from me. Lots that I like, fucking gameplay instead of just cinematics that don't tell you anything about the game, some good ports. It was all around good.

UltimaKilo

A solid C. Had some OK stuff, but no Monolith, Metroid Prime Trilogy, no Pikmin, no Eternal Darkness, no Mother, no FFV & FFVI and certainly no new hardware.

Jubenhimer

A bit disappointed at the lack of new announcements from Nintendo themselves, but considering everything else, I'm not complaining. It was still a good show, possibly the best of all of them this year. I think this E3 showed us that the event is no longer for a ton of big reveals. In the case of Nintendo, they don't really need E3 as they can reveal games whenever they want.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Basically. No hardware revision, no MP4, no Bayo 3. Though I went D and not F- because Astral Chain (and maybe Luigi's Mansion) at least looks cool, and Ubi/SE were worse. Surprised the vast majority are going A.
At the end of the day it depends on what you want. Me? I got nothing of what I wanted. In fact, the best thing to come out of this conference was the original Splinter Cell games coming to Xbox BC. SE delivered a lot of what people wanted, but much of it had no interest to me. I cared about Deus Ex. I don't give even the slightest little fuck about all the japanese games coming from SE. PSO, FF have zero interest to me, but that was a big deal to those who do like them.

cabbage5k2

A in comparison to the other conferences this year, but a B in comparison to past e3 directs. I still think that the 2014 direct is the highlight of them all, with reveals of games like Breath of the Wild and Splatoon, alongside some interesting developer interviews, with all of it being well paced with a few clever skit interpersed between it all. I loved the bowser joke in this one though, thought that was a cute touch. The Switch has third party support that I would argue surpasses that of the 3DS and is on par with the Wii, and directs like this just continue to build upon it. After the WiiU debacle, I love this new support, hopefully it continues from here.

Belmonte

A new, cool as f. Contra, DQIII, IV, VIII and XI protagonists and Banjo & Kazzoie in Smash Bros., Witcher 3, Trials of Mana, more Astral Chain gameplay and Panzer Dragoon!

An A for me, sir. :messenger_ok:

prag16

Banned
At the end of the day it depends on what you want. Me? I got nothing of what I wanted. In fact, the best thing to come out of this conference was the original Splinter Cell games coming to Xbox BC. SE delivered a lot of what people wanted, but much of it had no interest to me. I cared about Deus Ex. I don't give even the slightest little fuck about all the japanese games coming from SE. PSO, FF have zero interest to me, but that was a big deal to those who do like them.
Yeah, I thought Mankind Divided was good, and would have liked a completion to the would-be trilogy, or something different in the series. Ubi, all I really cared about was Splinter Cell (a new one). I agree about this array of Japanese stuff, which ties in with my disinterest in much of what Nintendo showed. Oh well.

Nintendo won E3 even though that isn't saying much. It's great to see Banjo back in the spotlight, and hopefully the outpouring of support by fans make them realize that a new Banjo-Kazooie would be a good idea. I don't play Dragon Quest but the Hero character making it in is bigger news in Japan so that's cool. No More Heroes 3 and a Panzer Dragoon remake were pleasant surprises. I'm hyped for Astral Chain, Trials of Mana, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

I'm disappointed that the rumored Metroid 5 didn't show up, but overall this was a great presentation. No bullshit time wasting interviews or dance set pieces. Just straight to the point.

Nothing MP4 related. Had hoped for at least another teaser like few years back with MP4 but didn't expect anything big since development got rebooted but nothing at all still hurt a bit.
For me it was mediocre, but that's probably because I'm more invested in MS and Sony IP's and haven't really done many games outside like Mario/Metroid/Zelda on my Nintendo Consoles.
You wont see anything on MP4 for several YEARS. They were pretty upfront about it.

51662336_121171515624433_636694549189167525_n.jpg

A

#Phonepunk#

Banned
A+ just nonstop thrill ride Nintendo throwing down amazing games

damnit im going to spend so much money on videogames this year lol

Metroid would have taken an A+ to S rank. they were at A for most of the direct but the BOTW tease bumped it up IMO.

Last edited:
Solid B. I had to knock some point for the delay of Animal Crossing, and because some of the more requested games didn't show up either. That's leaving Metroid Prime 4 aside, because it was obvious that one wouldn't be shown here. I was kinda hoping for that new and improved Switch, but they said it wouldn't be here. It could always happen later.

A lot of the games shown are ports as well. Yeah, it's cool that The Witcher 3 is coming, but that's a 3 year old game at this point. And how much are they going to charge for it? Fortunately these announcements were pretty fast.

zenspider

Where the rubber hits the road, Nintendo showed games I'm excited to play, and will be buying this year.

No blowing "you the gamers" smoke up my ass, no promises of fun in the TBD future,

AND they brought the hype with the Zelda BotW sequel reveal and looking all kinds of "Majora" and Smash reveals.

I also consider no new hardware a positive - that's delicate news to deliver, and not "hype" for obsoleting my 300+ investment and god knows what for the next thing. Fuck the next thing. This thing is great.

Last edited:

Codes 208

You can say whatever you want about phil, but holy shit if it were still don mattrick in charge of xbox i doubt we’d be seeing banjo in smash today.

kunonabi

I gave it a C. It was a solid show but No More Heroes was the only really big announcement for me and Nintendo only announcing one new 1st party title is concerning. No Switch revision also sucked and I'm not a fan of Banjo. Still a solid show though and the best of this e3. If I knew more about who's making the new Contra and Dragoon games i might have given it a B.

sublimit

Banned
I wasn't able to watch it live and i'm still trying to catch up on all the great new trailers and info. Along with SE they saved this E3.
A+ from me.

Griffon

Solid A.

Good games, good show with actual gameplay. BotW 2 to finish. This is what I expect from an E3 conference.

Hyped AF about Trials of Mana.

Codes 208

I cant really speak for SE because ive never been a fan of FF or KH so i didnt watch their conference. So them aside Id rank this years conferences as
Nin >>>> MS >> Ubi > Beth > PC

A really meh year overall really. But that said im super stoked for banjo and BotW2

Last edited:

Fake

I go even further, If it wasn't for Japanese games this E3 would have been dumpster fire.
Not only that, but I keeping reading about Xbox E3 on twitter and imo its not bad, but neither good because the lack of gameplay. If you watch the Digital Foundry about Xbox E3 they say exatcly the same.
But Nintendo/Square Enix pretty much give us gameplay. Even I not being a huge fan of BOTW, I must say they did a hell of job at this E3.
Kudos for both of them. Very deserved.
I can't say the same about Bethesda and Ubisoft. Was the worst E3 from the two ever, but Ubisoft get the worst E3 award this year.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

So many A grades. Lacking a lot of things for me. Seems Nintendo really have slowed down first party production.

I wouldn't say that. Half their developers just came off of 3DS projects, so some of them still need more time. And considering this is Nintendo, they can show games whenever they want.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not only that, but I keeping reading about Xbox E3 with imo its not bad, but neither good because the lack of gameplay.
But Nintendo/Square Enix pretty much give us gameplay. Even I not being a huge fan of BOTW, I must say they did a hell of job at this E3.
Kudos for both of them. Very deserved.
I was highly skeptical toward FF7R and honestly I had zero hype for it but this gameplay trailer absolutely sold me on the game, so yeah SE did fantastic job this E3.

Fake

I was highly skeptical toward FF7R and honestly I had zero hype for it but this gameplay trailer absolutely sold me on the game, so yeah SE did fantastic job this E3.
Yeah. As I posted today, Square Enix put a damn gameplay time of FF7R and Microsoft give us zero Gears 5 gameplay. I means, how this even possible? Who could imagine that?
My only problem with Nintendo E3 was the lack of Pokemon info, but besides that was on the point. Games, gameplay, release date, ports, remaster... Games.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Arent they the ones now working MP4?

True, but that's a new development. Were the years following Tropical Freeze (2014) spent entirely on its Switch remaster?

I suspect there's a cancelled project in there, but I guess Prime 4 will be enough to keep them busy.

I wanted SMTV, but they gave us NMH3, BotW2, and a Panzer Dragoon Remake, so I'll be patient until TGS. Nintendo owned E3 with Square right behind them.

Everyone else? Total dumpster fire. Shame on all of you. Especially Ubisoft with their BS shenanigans (again) and MS with their bullshot CG trailers.

sixamp

The direct was GOOD but not great. Too many games are 2020 releases and there were no really big nintendo surprises other than saying botw 2 was in Dev. Probably tied with square for best conference

Top Bottom