• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake vs Original | Graphics Comparison

Killer8

VaaNoX1.png

Salazar needs to cool it with the indoors fog machine.

Not sure about this, the castle looks like from last gen game. After the 8 this looks like downgrade.

Back when 2 remake came in the graphics looked awesome, this, not so much.
I didn't even like RE2R or RE8 and I agree with you. This 4R looks somehow even worse. Where did the polish and quality go? This doesn't look very far from 3R quality wise.

ADiTAR

I'm not a graphic person (I only really play Switch), but something in the style and art direction seems very fake with the remake. The color tones and lighting are off less gritty and more 3D game, it needs less blue tones and a bit less saturation.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've been playing through Resident Evil for the first time via the remakes (beat RE3R a couple days ago, and a friend recommended playing the original). The original RE4 has a really nice atmosphere, and I like its color palette. I think that era of 3D games had a great look to them. Lots of newer games, RE3R included, overuse post-processing effects and sometimes create a visual mess of blurs, aberrations, and grain and sharpening filters. Of course the gameplay previews usually look great.
Gameplay previews often don't do much for me, so even if side-by-side there are aspects of the original I prefer, I imagine I might have more fun playing the remake. And then I can play RE5 with co-op! :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Boat looks fun as fuck.

RaduN

Bad fucking comparison. Why are these youtubers always so fucking clueless?
This guy uses the HD re-release of Re4 (pc, ps4, ps3, 360 etc) which is a mess in terms of graphics, with all post processing, motion blur and advanced particles effects removed (yeah, it was ported by monkeys). It is nothing close to how the original actually looked.

The only options available for playing RE4 with the complete graphics are either on GC/Wii consoles (or via emulation with proper settings), or the pc HD Project mod, with the post processing restore patch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
VaaNoX1.png

Salazar needs to cool it with the indoors fog machine.

yeah, not sure why the castle is so foggy everywhere lol.

A cynical part of me feels like this is them masking the terrible RE engine SSR (cause I don't think they've confirmed that this game supports RT yet).

kiphalfton

Its as if two different teams were making RE$R and RE8.

How does that matter when RE4 Remake is coming out after RE8 and it should have a budget far greater than that of RE8 (based on it being a remake of the best selling RE game, and capcom wanting to make sure they don't fuck it up).

Bad fucking comparison. Why are these youtubers always so fucking clueless?
This guy uses the HD re-release of Re4 (pc, ps4, ps3, 360 etc) which is a mess in terms of graphics, with all post processing, motion blur and advanced particles effects removed (yeah, it was ported by monkeys). It is nothing close to how the original actually looked.
Because most YouTubers now are fucking lazy and just rip their footage from other people's videos and quickly churn out low effort videos like this rather than doing their own research and sourcing their own footage.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
We are lucky they didn’t take his emo cut swoop and turn it into a shaved sided of the head with a boof on top thing.

Last edited:
How does that matter when RE4 Remake is coming out after RE8 and it should have a budget far greater than that of RE8 (based on it being a remake of the best selling RE game, and capcom wanting to make sure they don't fuck it up).

I said that it looks as it was made by two teams because the differences in graphic fidelity is jarring. Its probably the same team making it so I said I agree, that it looks way off than RE8 which it shouldnt.

I'm just glad RE:4 finally found a way to fully reinvent itself on current gen consoles. I'd call it a cockroach but it deserves more respect than that.

Looks good but not 18 years forward good. Wow, we really didn’t evolve much after the ps2 era

the push for raytracing acceleration should have come sooner... maybe we would have bigger differences now if hardware manufacturers tried to get that going earlier. well some did but all they announced was vapor ware.

JakeWolf

Neo Member
Fidelity (tech graphics) aside I actally think the original game looks better, like if you stand 10 feet away from the monitor the original absolutely stands out compared to the remake.
It has a more cohesive art style with more pleasant colors & better contrast, the remake looks great but somehow feels ''bland'' to me like there's 50 other Unread Engine game that looks the same, even RE2 Remake had a better overall visual style.

Last edited:
Graphics look quite outdated, assets look generic and lost its dark feel with its JRPG look, deven though RE2 and RE3 looked great when released, its quickly starting to look outdated and boring.

I'll wait for this to be under 20$, just like a did RE2.

Last edited:

nkarafo

What about RE4 Remake VS RE2/3 Remake?

That's not going to be very favorable for RE4 Remake.

Edit: The graphics in the Castle area look very similar in quality and detail to Dark Souls 3. Which is nice, i love DS3, but it's a 7 year old game...

Last edited:

rofif

What about RE4 Remake VS RE2/3 Remake?

That's not going to be very favorable for RE4 Remake.

Edit: The graphics in the Castle area look very similar in quality and detail to Dark Souls 3. Which is nice, i love DS3, but it's a 7 year old game...
re2 remake looks so good man

ACESHIGH

Banned
As long as it run great across many configurations bring it on. Love capcoms RE and MT framework engines. From software and koei tecmo could learn s thing or 2.

Mato

Is Capcom going through some specular highlights phase? Frankly the game somehow looks neither more realistic nor stylistically nicer.

nkarafo

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Say what now?

Yeah, geometry detail did a huge jump from PS1/N64 era to PS2/GC/XBOX. And an almost as big of a jump from that era to PS3/360. But after that diminishing returns kicked in. The difference became more and more subtle, to the point where now you can't even tell if a game is from last gen if you look at a medium res picture/video of it.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out this Resident Evil 4 original vs RE4 Remake gameplay comparison video, featuring some new RE4 Remake gameplay! How much has Resident Evil 4 changed in the upcoming remake? We compare scenes with Resident Evil 4 Remake Salazar and Krauser to the original Resident Evil 4 to see what's changed and what's been faithfully recreated.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Lightning look glorious in castle, and Leon's hair are awesome and looks so "Because I'm worth it", I want to pet him furrever 😹

doutzen kroes beauty GIF by L'Oréal Paris USA

But WHY did they changed the little guy ?
I don't like at all the new character (even if technically outstanding).

Last edited:
Top Bottom