• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Remake vs Original | Graphics Comparison

JakeWolf

Neo Member
I know what you mean. Seems like just a few years ago, I was happily playing it in my teenage bedroom on a 13" CRT.

Now we're here complaining about how unimpressive the remake looks running at 2k+ resolution at solid frame rates 😄

I don't get how people think ''It's just a few years ago'' like to me it was like a lifetime ago, I am not even sure if that was MY memory.

DragonNCM

VaaNoX1.png

Salazar needs to cool it with the indoors fog machine.
It is a new trend.....VAPERS now leave in that place :)

angrod14

We'll see if all the extra content the game originally had (Mercenaries, Separate Ways, Ada's Assignment) will be included or will be milked to us separately via DLC.

I don't get how people think ''It's just a few years ago'' like to me it was like a lifetime ago, I am not even sure if that was MY memory.
Haha

It's just that perception of time scales with age, in my experience. Five years passing at 20 years old feels about like 10 years passing does at 40. That's at a linear scale. Probably more like an exponential curve in reality

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The brand new, in-depth high-quality comparison between Resident Evil 4 Remake (2023) and the original Resident Evil 4 (2005) based on the pre-release preview gameplay footage released for the press, at the best quality available, true 4k 60 FPS. All footage from the original game was captured by me on PC with HD Project Mod installed at 4K 60FPS

rofif

wow. The new one is so in your face with action. The animations stand out
Keep note that the original is with HD textures mod. Even the raw 2014 version has some textures updated if you don't turn it off.
I would love to see gamecube compared to ps5.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Haha

It's just that perception of time scales with age, in my experience. Five years passing at 20 years old feels about like 10 years passing does at 40. That's at a linear scale. Probably more like an exponential curve in reality
I disagree
The reason it feels like that is because little has changed outside outrage culture which is the only thing you can define the last decade with.
Each Decade feels like a different world to people from another.
if someone travelled back into time from the 90's to the 80's it would be obvious to them instantly.
Same with the 2000's to the early 90's.
But if you were to travel back from 2020's to 2009?
You'd have to wait for someone to pull out their phone to realise what year it was because of what model they have.
Same with if you travelled back to the early 2000's
The only big give away would be the phones and girls being dressed better and not have Butt & lip injections.
Now if someone travelled from the 2000's to 2020?
They just be wondering what's with all the freaks and weirdos and start offending them.

Madflavor

There's always these guys. They don't even have to see it, they've already got this meaningless comment loaded and ready to go.
Everywhere else on the internet people have been glowing and have had very positive reception towards the way RE4R looks. The only places that have had more naysayers than usual are NeoGaf and /v/

So make of that what you will.

I disagree
The reason it feels like that is because little has changed outside outrage culture which is the only thing you can define the last decade with.
Each Decade feels like a different world to people from another.
if someone travelled back into time from the 90's to the 80's it would be obvious to them instantly.
Same with the 2000's to the early 90's.
But if you were to travel back from 2020's to 2009?
You'd have to wait for someone to pull out their phone to realise what year it was because of what model they have.
Same with if you travelled back to the early 2000's
The only big give away would be the phones and girls being dressed better and not have Butt & lip injections.
Now if someone travelled from the 2000's to 2020?
They just be wondering what's with all the freaks and weirdos and start offending them.
I could've clarified that I was speaking of my individual (subjective) perception of time, and not trying to say everyone experiences it the same way, but I'm interested. How would going from the 90s to the 80s be noticeable, but 2020s to 2000s wouldn't be? Because to me, all of those Quantum Leaps would be close to immediately noticeable in terms of fashion, tech, communication, slang, methods of business, styles of cars, obesity rates, you name it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I could've clarified that I was speaking of my individual (subjective) perception of time, and not trying to say everyone experiences it the same way, but I'm interested. How would going from the 90s to the 80s be noticeable, but 2020s to 2000s wouldn't be? Because to me, all of those Quantum Leaps would be close to immediately noticeable in terms of fashion, tech, communication, slang, methods of business, styles of cars, obesity rates, you name it
Yeah that's the first thing you notice when watching films from those era's...
Wait no, it's the TV you see in the background (unless it's later 2000's then it a bit harder to tell) or the flip phone they pull out.
Fashion is subjective, the main stand out will be women in low-rise jeans rather then high-rise and men not wearing skinny jeans which not everyone does anyway.
And cars? A majority of car owners are driving around in older cars from 10-15 years ago.
90's sure you gonna notice some of the older design cars.
But you ain't gonna notice the lack of Tesla's.
And slang? you still gonna get someone saying Bruh 🙄
As I said it wouldn't be obvious straight away.
Not saying you wouldn't notice eventually.
But it not as obvious as other era's which would be instant.
But yeah I do generally agree with you but I don't think this helps either.
It just adds to it.

CGNoire

I cant wait for DF to loudly claim "Its a really Impressive Improvement" when discussing a PS4 game vs a.....checks notes....Gamecube game.

CGNoire

Comparing it against the HD mod is fucking bullshit and should be called out as such.

Reminds me of when they where showing off Dead Space Remake and they kept showing a picture of Issacc in an overly ambient lit room staring at a corner some where to make the difference as stark and.....misleading as possible.

RaduN

Comparing it against the HD mod is fucking bullshit and should be called out as such.

Reminds me of when they where showing off Dead Space Remake and they kept showing a picture of Issacc in an overly ambient lit room staring at a corner some where to make the difference as stark and.....misleading as possible.
Just as comparing to the pc, ps3, ps4, xbox360, xbox one, switch hd re-releases is bullshit, as they are horrible ports, missing all depth buffer effects, shaders, advanced particles, motion blur, bloom.

Anything other than the original GC/wii is basically shit. The HD Project actually restores all post peocessing effects, apart from redoing all the textures.

Emulation is a good middle ground, as it has all the proper effects, without the cheaty high res textures the mod has. It's basically how all the shitty releases along the many years, should have looked.

CGNoire

Just as comparing to the pc, ps3, ps4, xbox360, xbox one, switch hd re-releases is bullshit, as they are horrible ports, missing all depth buffer effects, shaders, advanced particles, motion blur, bloom.

Anything other than the original GC/wii is basically shit. The HD Project actually restores all post peocessing effects, apart from redoing all the textures.

Emulation is a good middle ground, as it has all the proper effects, without the cheaty high res textures the mod has. It's basically how all the shitty releases along the many years, should have looked.
Yep just played through Albert's and Chris's amazing mod this year. Work they put in is crazy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Everywhere else on the internet people have been glowing and have had very positive reception towards the way RE4R looks. The only places that have had more naysayers than usual are NeoGaf and /v/

So make of that what you will.
This is a forum, not a circlejerk.

Comments about changing too much the look or voice of some characters, the colors\atmosphere or being graphically just ok 3 years into nextgen are all valid complaints.

And i preordered the game on pc months ago.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's more fun to circlejerk over something that obviously looks awesome, as opposed to overly obsessing over minor inconsequential shit.
Maybe what is obvious for you is not obvious for others.

It would be more boring to hear only people praising the game, if i want that i can go in the official reddit page.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Maybe what is obvious for you is not obvious for others.

It would be more boring to hear only people praising the game, if i want that i can go in the official reddit page.

Tell me you're a contrarian without spelling it out for me.

JackMcGunns

Looks fine but anal blister is not to be trusted

Nonesense, he made an honest mistake years ago and has never screwed up again, for Christ's sake people are human. He mislabeled a Series X video with Series S... OH THE HORROR!!! Ban him 4 life!

Seriously, though, the channel has been outputing some excellent content and not a single incident has happened since.

Madflavor

Tell me you have no idea of how a forum work without spelling it out for me.

This is a fun game, your turn.

Ok so you want to complain about something and not get challenged on it, because you're on a forum. Well then excuse me, I've been a bad boy then.

GymWolf

Ok so you want to complain about something and not get challenged on it, because you're on a forum. Well then excuse me, I've been a bad boy then.
You can challenge me all you want dude, this was my point.

It's a forum, you say your positive piece, i say my negative one and we discuss about it.

I'm not even talking about me, just in general, i have the game in preorder since november because there problems are not enough to keep me away from the game, i just don't like when people dismiss other people opinions because out of here people are ripping their hairs off about the game, who gives a flying fuck about that?
Maybe their community doesn't allow people talking excessive shit on games like they do on reeeee or reddit where you get banned if they only sniff you talking about lazy devs or similar stuff.

If i wanted a forum of back patters i would have never visited gaf to begin with.

Last edited:

killatopak

To be quite honest, I wish I could unplay OG RE4 because it keeps fucking with my perception of the remake. Totally unrelated to the graphics but I haven’t heard a single VO in the remake I prefer over the old ones expect maybe Ashley because she’s just so whiny in the original.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PS4: 900p/~45fps

PS4 Pro:
Resolution Mode: 2160p/~30fps
Performance Mode: Dynamic 1080p/~60fps

PS5:
Resolution Mode: 2160p/~60fps
Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps

- All versions use the same temporal reconstruction technique for resolution that we saw in RE Village. PS5 runs at an average of 1872p in performance mode.
- The PS5 version has an advantage in almost all graphical settings. Animations, textures, LOD, lighting, shadows, post-processing effects... Although the oldgen version maintains an acceptable visual quality.
- PS5 Resolution mode activates Ray-Tracing by default, but we can enable/disable it even if we choose Resolution or Performance mode.
- Ray-Tracing improves the overall lighting of specific areas and reflections as we saw in Resident Evil Village. Its use is quite anecdotal.
- On PS5 it is possible to activate a graphics option that improves the physics of Leon's hair and other characters/animals. However, this option causes integration problems with the lighting in certain areas. I recommend not activating this enhancement for now.
- PS4/PS4 Pro remove the shadow casting of some elements and light points (especially indoor lamps).
- The oldgen versions present some problems in texture loading.
- Loading times are 5 times faster on PS5.
- General audio uses quite aggressive compression on PS4/PS4 Pro.
- The PS5 version supports VRR, although it does not exceed 60fps in any mode.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I downloaded the Resident Evil 4 Remake demo on both my PS5 and Series X. The Series X has noticeably better image quality in resolution mode. PS5 textures look grainy and aliased at medium/longer distances away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom