• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal is coming to PC in early 2023

SLB1904

Banned
I have two of them.

Funny thing though most games don't support them.
And when they do you need to play wired like it's 1999.

So no please don't buy a Dualsense unless you're an ex PlayStation guy like me. You will be disappointed.
Why are you like this. What's wrong with you?

Orta

Banned
admit it. you want to see her ass naked.

giphy.webp

Chukhopops

There’s a small chance this game can be fixed with mod support but I wouldn’t hold my breath honestly.

Missed opportunity as the core game is good but you can’t make a roguelite with so little variation between runs.

bender

What time is it?
There’s a small chance this game can be fixed with mod support but I wouldn’t hold my breath honestly.

Missed opportunity as the core game is good but you can’t make a roguelite with so little variation between runs.

Run length and the mid game "reset" are my biggest issues with the design.

DanEON

Kvally

I have two of them.

So no please don't buy a Dualsense unless you're an ex PlayStation guy like me. You will be disappointed.
That I didn't know. Fuck that.

Last edited:
Awful.

What the fuck is the point of buying a PS5 if all these "exclusives" are coming to the personal computer?

Thanks, Sony, for continuing to erode that which makes the PlayStation brand meaningful to me.

I don't understand comments like these. The game came out in 2021 and I didn't have a PC that could handle this back then. I bought it on PS5, played it, loved it and still play it.

My computer is a bit stronger now and can probably run this and I will double dip because this is one of the best games ever but that does not negate my experience I already have.

And what about individuals whose PC is not up to par? To get that performance in a $500 machine is insane.

There is a point of buying the PS5. I guess you just don't see it.

Enjoy the game, it's amazing.

Last edited:
This is a PS5 exclusive coming to PC. Has that happened before?

We will be able to compare Returnal, which was designed for SSD to a PC with a standard HDD. That comparison will be interesting.

As well as the audio. There's a very complex 3d audio system in Returnal built for the ground up for the PS5's Tempest engine. How will that translate to running on a PC? Will PC users be getting the same audio quality?

Midn1ght

The DualSense works fine on PC.

You can get full haptic triggers and feedback in games that support it and yes, you'll need to play wired to enjoy those which sucks (I've been calling for Sony to release an official dongle for ages now).

You can also pair it with a regular bluetooth dongle (5.0/5.1 for best result) and use it wirelessly like a regular controller with vibrations.

I have 2 and play 90% of my games with them.

GHG

I have two of them.

And you're bullshitting like it's 1999.

You can use them wireless, Steam detects the controller and you can use it as you would any other controller in games with controller support.

Beyond that you can use 3rd party utilities which allow you to use all of the features and tweak them to your liking even when wireless ( Midn1ght Midn1ght this will be useful for you):

Some people really do thrive on fiction huh?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Great for PC gamers, but....
0e2.gif

I don't think any console manufacturer has ever spent the whole 2nd year of their new console's life announcing ports to a other system.

Yep. Whoever is in charge of game annoucements and news for PS5 is kinda shit. More news on PC ports than the actual PS5 exclusives..

Kvally

The DualSense works fine on PC.

You can get full haptic triggers and feedback in games that support it and yes, you'll need to play wired to enjoy those which sucks (I've been calling for Sony to release an official dongle for ages now).

You can also pair it with a regular bluetooth dongle (5.0/5.1 for best result) and use it wirelessly like a regular controller with vibrations.

I have 2 and play 90% of my games with them.
The wired part sucks. But the fact that all the features are supported is a good thing.

Mister Wolf

This is a PS5 exclusive coming to PC. Has that happened before?

We will be able to compare Returnal, which was designed for SSD to a PC with a standard HDD. That comparison will be interesting.

As well as the audio. There's a very complex 3d audio system in Returnal built for the ground up for the PS5's Tempest engine. How will that translate to running on a PC? Will PC users be getting the same audio quality?

We always theorized that they would make up for the storage transfer speed by having more of the game's assets stored within the RAM and that seems to align with the 32GB RAM recommendation for the game.

BabyYoda

A lot better. This game has an alt fire where you have to press the trigger fully to shoot. Trust me if you can afford it. Do it
Wouldn't the impulse triggers in the Xbox controller support that though? That is to say, they are analogue and the haptics could kick if you press it fully, instead of partially. I haven't played the game, so not sure if that's viable for long stretches.

Last edited:

Kvally

Wouldn't the impulse triggers in the Xbox controller support that though? That is to say, they are analogue and the haptics could kick if you press it fully, instead of partially. I haven't played the game, so not sure if that's viable for long stretches.
I don't know why many developers don't support the impulse/resistance of the Xbox controller. I only know of a few games, a couple of them are racers.

SLB1904

Banned
No
No. Xbox controller has rumble. Dualsense triggers work differently. Like a piston

BabyYoda

No
No. Xbox controller has rumble. Dualsense triggers work differently. Like a piston
Yeah I know they work differently, I'm just not sure they're worth buying a whole new controller for and it would be cool if the developer took advantage of the impulse triggers instead. I'd like to see more creative uses of them. Partially pulling the triggers for long periods doesn't sound viable though, I admit to that.

Kvally

No
It has more than just rumble. The Xbox controller also supports a resistance and haptic feedback in the triggers if the developer supports it, which most don't.

tommib

Banned
We always theorized that they would make up for the storage transfer speed by having more of the game's assets stored within the RAM and that seems to align with the 32GB RAM recommendation for the game.
You’re too smart for this forum, mister. We only disagree with Returnal looking low-res on the PS5. Not in the slightest. And good reasons for that due to temporal scaling and check board rendering to 4K. But I can’t wait to see it running at native 4K on someone’s hardcore PC. You know what looks super low-res to these eyes? Callisto on performance mode on the PS5. Very yucky.

Be sure to record it running on your machine and send us videos!

Awful.

What the fuck is the point of buying a PS5 if all these "exclusives" are coming to the personal computer?

Thanks, Sony, for continuing to erode that which makes the PlayStation brand meaningful to me.
What makes PlayStation meaningful to you are the games others can’t play? Lmao

Your life doesn’t change because this releases on pc if you play on PlayStation

Last edited:

geary

This one will sell better tha TLOU Remake…I wint be surprise to reach top 3 playstation games on pc

SLB1904

Banned
It has more than just rumble. The Xbox controller also supports a resistance and haptic feedback in the triggers if the developer supports it, which most don't.
No they don't. Xbox has rumble motors

Yeah I know they work differently, I'm just not sure they're worth buying a whole new controller for and it would be cool if the developer took advantage of the impulse triggers instead. I'd like to see more creative uses of them. Partially pulling the triggers for long periods doesn't sound viable though, I admit to that.
That's why I said if you can afford it go for it. I'm telling you that because is the best dualsense implementation on ps5.

Last edited:

Kvally

Yes, they do. The impulse (which have precise haptic feedback) triggers allow you to also code them to support resistance. It's been that way for 10 years now. Sadly, very few devs are using it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Cool news. Not sure about getting it on release but I'll give it a chance at some point since it has so much positive feedback on here.

BabyYoda

That's why I said if you can afford it go for it. I'm telling you that because is the best dualsense implementation on ps5.
I can easily afford it, but a couple games supporting said features isn't enough tbh, especially when I hate the analogue layout. Don't get me wrong, I like the innovations Sony made with it and I've lambasted Microsoft for playing it so safe with theirs. But without native support of all features wirelessly (through a dongle like Microsoft I suppose) and many AAA and Indie games going forward supporting said features, I just can't justify the purchase. Now if they (and other developers) do as I ask, I might consider making a purchase down the line.

SLB1904

Banned
Yes, they do. The impulse (which have precise haptic feedback) triggers allow you to also code them to support resistance. It's been that way for 10 years now. Sadly, very few devs are using it.
Xbox doesn't support haptics

Filben

But the fact that all the features are supported is a good thing.
In theory. It depends heavily on the game. Yes, you can add trigger effects via that DSX software, but it doesn't change contextual on what's happening in-game. Like lifting a shotgun in RE3 feels heavier on L2 than a pistol. You can't do that with DSX because it doesn't recognise what in-game weapon you use. Some people made an excellent mod for Cyberpunk 2077 (actually, it's a bunch of mods you have to install) in order to use DSX and change the behaviour of the triggers according to weapons you use, the vehicle (car or motorcycle) you use. So simply speaking there's a script running that calls every weapon change and vehicle you enter and change DSX on the fly to give customized settings for the item you use.

This is for a game with mod support, however. For Control Ultimate Edition? No such luck. Also, footsteps beeing translated to the DualSense is not possible with DSX. I'm also not sure if something like heat making a very subtle and fine rumble on the side where its coming from (as in Forbidden West) would be transferable via DSX.

In some instances the game simply has to support it. DSX can only fake so much.

Graciaus

I have my doubts they can stop anytime soon. They stepped too deep into this one and stopping could bring a big backlash against Sony I feel. Honestly, I’m not too sure how it will sell in PC compared to PS5.
If Sony wanted guaranteed sales they would have done Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. They aren't stopping this is the new way of life.

SLB1904

Banned
I can easily afford it, but a couple games supporting said features isn't enough tbh, especially when I hate the analogue layout. Don't get me wrong, I like the innovations Sony made with it and I've lambasted Microsoft for playing it so safe with theirs. But without native support of all features wirelessly (through a dongle like Microsoft I suppose) and many AAA and Indie games going forward supporting said features, I just can't justify the purchase. Now if they (and other developers) do as I ask, I might consider making a purchase down the line.
Fair enough. I just think it's pretty awesome the implementation. Personally I wouldn't play without it. But just because I've already tried it.

yamaci17

32 GB requirement is overrated. It most likely needs just a bit more than 16 GB, around 17-18 GB WITH A bloated system, which DEVS assume most people would have (and yes, most people would INDEED have bloated systems, full of background apps and an always open browser for some reason. Because as my BOI rofif points out every time, most folks on PC are unable to focus on the game and simply want to multitask all the time, which of course, has its own ramifications for gameplay enjoyment, and of course, needs beefier CPUs and higher RAM requirements as you move up with settings).

It would, most likely, use around 12 GB of RAW RAM with ultra settings at 4K. So if you're able to keep your 16 Gigs clean to a point where you have 12 GB free memory, you're good to go. windows on a clean boot will use around 3-3.5 GB RAM, which will give you room to run the game. that's the problem however, if you run discord+chrome+spotify+steam alltogether, you will most likely have 5.5-6.5 GB of idle ram usage, which will push things to their limits.

its not like there's e middleground option between 16 and 32. 32 seems like a harsh and "craze" amount, but there really is no option. majority of lastgen games RUN fine on 8 Gb, as stated above, if you limited your background apps. in realit,y a mere 1-2 GB RAM bump would do wonders for most of those tasks too, since most of the 16 GB went unused, capping around 10-11 GB. that's a huge design limitation with RAMs on PCs. most likely, you would do super fine on 20 GB RAM, but it simply does not exist, you would need to use flex hybrid single + dual channel mode on a 2x8+1x8 RAM config that amounts to 24 GB, which will create its own subset of performance problems. so it is either 16 GB or 32 GB, with no in between, sadly.

spiderman and miles morales with ultimate ray tracing (very high geometry, very high reflections) at 4K requires 32 GB RAM per Imsomniac. However I played the game just fine on my system, with said settings.

there are even more parameters. most important being texture quality. if your GPU has 8-10 GB VRAM, you will never have any meaningful full use out of 32 GB RAM. Why? RAM usage scales with textures. a lot of textures are need to be copied first to RAM, and then to VRAM.

and chances are, if your GPU has 12-16 GB VRAM, your rig will have 32 GB RAM too.

and quite likely, you will not be able to MAX out textures on a 8-10 GB budget, and as a result, your game will not magically use TONS of ram. even then, when you're at limits, all you gotta is limit your background stuff. that's about it.

Here's spiderman with maxed out ray tracing at 4K with very high and high textures. I can EVEN run the very high textures. but as you can see, i'm at 13.8 GB usage with full empty desktop. a mere discord session + spotify would bring the system to its knees under these conditions, forcing the game to swap out valuable RAM data and cause performance issues, and at that point, you would simply stop and say "damn I need 32 GB" when in reality all you need is a couple more GBs. but of course, as I said before, that's a PC design limitation, one that I hate truly

KFauiS2.jpg
gXf7d45.jpg

in this case... assume spiderman had even HIGHER quality textures called super ultra omega that would require 12-16 GB VRAM. in that case, you would run out of VRAM before running out RAM. that's the gist of it.

so... no need for fear mongering. they will of course play safe and claim they need 32 gigs, just like this;

spider-man-pc-1.jpg

but as you can see from examples above... 4k/ray tracing very high runs quite smoothly with 2 GB empty RAM even on a 16 gb budget.

IT IS clear that some devs do not except people with 16 GB RAM to have an interrupted 8-12 GB of RAM budget. but those who can have nothing to worry about.

RAM is super cheap, but once again, I don't like LEAVING tons of stuff at background. AS A MATTER of fact, I turn off discord, and other distractions when I'm playing a game, especially if it is a STORY DRIVEN game such as returnal or spiderman. that's about it. i hope this was useful to some fellow 16 GB member: have no fear, just enjoy the game, maybe don't use chrome while gaming. that alone would be enough

Top Bottom