• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roald Dahl Books Rewritten to Remove Language Deemed Offensive

Should this have been done?

• No. The loonatics still have control of the asylum.

Votes: 169 79.3%
  • Yes. I love my blue hair and will be having vegan pasta for dinner.

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo

Votes: 38 17.8%

• Total voters

Tams

Yeah, I saw that.

The issues (though some, of if not many of the Roald Dahl 'issues' were not a problem at all) are quite bit more obvious in the Bond books.

I don't think there's anywhere near the attachment to the Bond books compared to Roald Dahl.

They still shouldn't be changed. They are a product of their time and should stand as a record of it.

Tams

Yeah, this too.

All the "new generation" stuff is some propaganda. The "new generation" has no money, no power and doesn't run any big corporations. This is either 40-50 year olds who grew up with the original, or even older folks making these decisions.

My guess is they were afraid if some imagined backlash that wouldn't have even happened and wanted to solve s problem that didn't exist.

Oldies still don't understand the populace of social media. No one under 30 cares much about Roald Dahl at all, let alone decided how his books should be working.

It is those people that are making the decisions, but they are partly doing it because they think younger people won't like the originals.

And as for no young people being interested in Roald Dahl, what pish. You clearly don't have much experience with children (in general). They are still popular books and staples in any children's book collection.

What you are describing is people growing out of children's stories, which is nothing new.

Last edited:

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
It is people that she making the decisions, but they are partly doing it because they think younger people won't like the originals.

And as for no young people being interested in Roald Dahl, what pish. You clearly don't have much experience with children (in general). They are still popular books and staples in any children's book collection.

What you are describing is people growing out of children's stories, which is nothing new.

Exactly. And who is it that primarily organize witch hunts and try to get positions as journalists and such? Younger people. Zoomers, etc.

Yup :(
Note how nobody cares. The job worked - demoralisation, expectations set, acceptance.

I’ve been buying TinTin, Asterix and Indian in the Cupboard books over the last few days. What else might be in the sights of our puritan overlords?

Original Bond books are hard to find. I have a couple but my collection is on the Kindle, which is of course at risk.

Last edited:

Tams

The changes to bond are less slightly less insane, but again they should be leaving these books alone.
Oh yeah, there are definitely some dodgy bits in Bond, especially with what seem to be today's sensibilities. And of course Bond is total womaniser and full-blown alcoholic. And knows how to cook eggs properly.

But they are a product of their time. We shouldn't be catering to idiots who can't check the first page of a book to see when it was first published and understand what that means for the content.

Last edited:
Bond spends half his life killing people but when the author uses a racist word it has to go. That's a very strange set of priorities.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
qDGrAMq.jpg
Idiocrasy is real.

LOL This enraged them so much they mentioned this 6 times in 12 short paragraphs, including twice in the heading/subheading.

led by 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum

The consultant team was led by a woman who describes herself as a ''non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum'

describes herself as a 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum.'

describes herself as a 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum

describes herself as a 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum.'

The profile continues: 'Jo is an autistic, non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist.

Last edited:
LOL This enraged them so much they mentioned this 6 times in 12 short paragraphs, including twice in the heading/subheading.

led by 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum

The consultant team was led by a woman who describes herself as a ''non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum'

describes herself as a 'non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist who is on the autism spectrum

The profile continues: 'Jo is an autistic, non-binary, asexual, polyamorous relationship anarchist.
I'll bet you anything that the person in question mentions it more regularly than that.

Just like 1984.
Where the state rules of free commerce allow a book publisher freedom to publish books licensed to it that were free to be edited by a third party by the licensor who has that freedom with their property. Where, after the new editions, citizens, academics, elected officials and heads of state complained and then both were published. 😼📚

I wonder if those Bond editions were in some digital file for years until this happened.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

To be fair it is absurd

To be fair it is absurd
Contributing to evidence for the scenario that these editions were let happen by the publisher guessing the outcomes from the attention of Dahl Story Company pushing for new editions of their property by sensitivity pros.

It's looking like Puffin made the best of it. They may have exercised grammar oversight for the new editions and limiting market. Netflix acquiring during the process and letting it happen lends to them being in on it.

I agree - the word lunatic would have been less verbose.

cormack12

These people are like students buying Che Guevara T Shirts. But if you told me this idea was from someone autistic then I'd probably have believed you before.

Having said that, the Daily Mail is a shithouse of a newspaper.

AJUMP23

It isn’t necessarily this person that is the problem, they did the job they were hired to do. The person at the publisher that hired the person is even more of an issue because they will affect the whole division they are over by hiring only editors of the same mindset.

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
What is outrage culture about this is the framing as if it is a new phenomenon. Outrage sells.

Censorship in literature exists well before the current era (A Clockwork Orange, for example). Book burnings, book banning, moral crusades are nothing new. If this pisses you off, then you should have been pissed off a long time ago. If nothing else, just be glad that this type of stuff usually backfires and just amplifies the work.

The beauty of the internet is that those original versions are available to you at any time. Once his work goes into the public domain in 2060, anyone can republish as they see fit. That includes the original works. If an author doesn't want their work modified or editorialized in any way, they should note that and put it in a trust.

I'm only on first page and you echoed my thoughts!

Top Bottom