• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roald Dahl Books Rewritten to Remove Language Deemed Offensive

Should this have been done?

• No. The loonatics still have control of the asylum.

Votes: 169 79.3%
  • Yes. I love my blue hair and will be having vegan pasta for dinner.

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Oompa Loompa, do-ba-dee-doo

Votes: 38 17.8%

• Total voters
This is far worse than banning. This is rewriting the past and pretending it doesn't exist.
Fuck we have people defending this because "BotH SiDes".
My main beef is that it is that now we have both sides fighting it from two different points. It’s a fucking pincer attack on literature.

Right is ban all these books and wipe it out. Left is we have to rewrite it and wipe it out.

Last edited:

CGNoire

How so? Not trying to be challenging, I am genuinely curious as I merely pointed out that this is a common occurrence.

Besides, I find it difficult to get angry about changing children's books in a manner that doesn't alter the story itself but rather removes some insulting language. We live in an age in which bullying leads to terrible consequences both online and in the real world, so this is probably being done with best intentions.

For what it's worth, and I really was not trying to play Devil's Advocate there, I actually would prefer that original works were never altered and if they were new versions were clearly marked in some way.
I meant exactly what OmegaSupreme said above. Its not the same.

These people pushing this are trying to rid "uncomfortability" from the world. Just like era there highly allergic to any form of "frustration". There as fragile as they come and just like misery fragile people love company.

Last edited:

IDKFA

My main beef is that it is that now we have both sides fighting it from two different points. It’s a fucking pincer attack on literature.

Right is ban all these books and wipe it out. Left is we have to rewrite it and wipe it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this one state banning certain books from schools? The books aren't completely forbidden and are still available to purchase in shops or borrow from public libraries, right?

CGNoire

They would lose a lot if they're banned. There doesn't appear to be anything religious about the changes to Dahl. There aren't demands for destruction of the old material or its readers which would imply zealotry. Unsure how religious zealots about the school book reviews, that would be managed by school/district/state and each taken as its own. Outliers would stand out.
Why do keep playing dumb? This shit comes off as trolling.

Last edited:

CGNoire

God I'm so FUCKING OUTRAGED.

How am I ever gonna live with my life knowing a re-release of something has changes.
What does "Outraged" even mean to you?

Cause half the time I see it thrown around as a putdown when its often used to describe people who are concerned about something they thinks important....is that the definition of outrage to you?....just caring?

Some of these changes are... disturbing, to say the least. I hope to Christ this post modernist nonsense doesn't spread to the rest of the population in any meaningful way.

To all the people saying that this is just a load of fuss about nothing and the publishers can do what they want as the own the IP, how do you feel about this:

zJ3wzA8.jpg

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
What has being vegan to do with anything. I'm against these changes, but some people vocally against it, like the OP here, are also simpleton clowns so I'll just don't bother with any of it.

YCoCg

Do the Oompa Loompas even sing after each accident anymore? Wouldn't it be considered pretty insensitive of them to be mockingly singing about these children involved in a workplace accident?

Tams

Even Philip Pullman has weighed in on this not being the right approach.

Although it does seem to read as if he's somewhat bitter about Dahl's success for some reason. I don't know why when he's been successful enough himself and it's not like his works are that great.

Tams

What has being vegan to do with anything. I'm against these changes, but some people vocally against it, like the OP here, are also simpleton clowns so I'll just don't bother with any of it.

Uncalled for.

I'm allowed to be against. In fact, why shouldn't I be vocal about my discomfort with this? Am I and those like me supposed to stay quiet?

Perhaps you meant 'vehemently vocally against it', which is what you seem to have implied. If so, hardly. If you think what I've expressed so far has been hard criticism... well you won't (want to either) read my actual hard criticism. I do have some very choice words to say, but they aren't really for a gaming forum.

I've saved you the indignity of reporting you, which by the looks of it would likely see your time here cut short.

Last edited:

[/URL][/URL]

Although it does seem to read as if he's somewhat bitter about Dahl's success for some reason. I don't know why when he's been successful enough himself and it's not like his works are that great.
He’s a weird one. So childish and reactionary. Every one of his public utterances makes me believe His Dark Materials was written by somebody else (which I do think is amazing).

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Uncalled for.

I'm allowed to be against. In fact, why shouldn't I be vocal about my discomfort with this? Am I and those like me supposed to stay quiet?

Perhaps you meant 'vehemently vocally against it', which is what you seem to have implied. If so, hardly. If you think what I've expressed so far has been hard criticism... well you won't (want to either) read my actual hard criticism. I do have some very choice words to say, but they aren't really for a gaming forum.

I've saved you the indignity of reporting you, which by the looks of it would likely see your time here cut short.

Report me? For not agreeing with you dragging veganism into this? And then coming out with 'be glad I didn't report you' ànd thinking you know what's up with the tagline while you clearly don't... god damn man I thought you were way cooler but now I know I guess...

The indignity :D

disappointed.gif

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

Do the Oompa Loompas even sing after each accident anymore? Wouldn't it be considered pretty insensitive of them to be mockingly singing about these children involved in a workplace accident?

I read somewhere the Oompa Loompas were originally enslaved Pigmees but Dahl did change that part himself at one point. Which is completely different since it is the author himself and a much touchier subject, and not some offended zoomers 50 years later.

Tams

Report me? For not agreeing with you dragging veganism into this? And then coming out with 'be glad I didn't report you' ànd thinking you know what's up with the tagline while you clearly don't... god damn man I thought you were way cooler but now I know I guess...

The indignity :D

disappointed.gif

but some people vocally against it, like the OP here, are also simpleton clowns so I'll just don't bother with any of it

GloveSlap

Ignoring the the broader implications of this kind of thing.......As a former kid myself, i think i can safely say that kids like things that have a bit of an edge or grossness to it.

Astral Dog

Incredibly disturbing and tone deaf, kids can pick up that these old books don't reflect the 'modern values' of today ultra progressive social media addict society,and can still read and learn something/be entertained., find something of value in these old stories

Like, i read one example wich was a short line 'woman cashier or typing for a businessman,' changed to "top scientist or business owner" and, ok, if they want to change that specific line i suppose its alright.🤷🏻‍♂️

Just everything else, was,hilarious, sad and petty,God they can't even respect dead writters

Reading the original line out to your little girl presents an opportunity to talk about how life has changed for the better if you are so inclined.

Way better than pretending society is static and so anything your child doesn’t like now has to be accepted rather than changed.

IDKFA

Can't wait for the 'sensitivity readers' rewritted version of this book as well:
images

I feel like we're already heading into a dystopian world. It wouldn't surprise me if publishers try and change other classical works of fiction to prevent "wrong think".

Why stop at novels? It wouldn't surprise me if films are next and maybe music as well. Get rid of anything that could be offensive or has the potential to corrupt young minds.

Drew1440

Wasnt there a case where Dr Seuss books were being banned due to problematic content? I'd expect more books and old media to be censored, or remade for modern audiences.

Censorship is being done by both sides. What they’re censoring varies but it’s the same goal in the end. Culture warz.
I'm normally all about this sort of "both sides are awful in their own ways and generally full on hypocrites" argument, but I do feel removing books from schools is not the same here. It's always very different when tax dollars and children are involved. The worst of the books I've heard of being removed had graphic depictions of sexual activity and guidance, and that's not something that parents want their tax dollars to be funding. If those books were able to get into schools in the first place, it makes sense to stop allowing books that haven't been vetted, IMO.

Last edited:

Letting them go out of print is a principled option. Pullman gets that things change and wanting to maintain commercial gravity. He doesn't seem bitter about the success. The frustration stems from his perception that those who try to nudge creative work have more direct success with non-established authors since they have less power to resist and need no cancel more than being approved. Puffin/Dahl Story Company had a choice since the entire review was instigated by them proactively. Choosing Inclusive Minds to exclusively do the review might have been one of the major problems. Another sensitivity reviewer might have reported nothing.

FunkMiller

Well, hell. If you've got the walking windbag of extreme lefty pomposity on the other side of the argument, then you must have done something wrong.

Spaceman292

Pullman just had personal dislikes of some authors. He also hates C.S. Lewis. So he might be little biased in this topic.

Tams

Even the French are getting one in.

It won't apply to anyone other than fellow Brits, but this is now a matter of honour. The cheese-eating surrender monkeys are now mocking us. These 'sensitivity readers' need to be banished for bringing humiliation upon us!

Top Bottom