• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RoboCop: Rogue City - Official Gameplay Overview Trailer

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I’m not sure about this game. The atmosphere seems pretty cool and it looks like there is some element of level exploration but it seems kind of shallow.

I was hoping one of those walker robots would burst through the wall in the last few seconds and we’d see RoboCop take cover or use some new strategy. Kind of went out with a whimper, that trailer.

Still interested overall though. RoboCop is a fun property and it could be immersive if done well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looks a bit crappy. Why isn't the punch and grab stuff done with the left arm so that it doesn't look weird to holster/do stuff/arm again? Edit: has nothing to do with budget, I play tons of indie and B and low budget games, again, this looks crappy, not cheap. Hopefully it's better, like Terminator.

Last edited:
I hope you can shoot people in the groin.

LRP51CS.gif

Last edited:

Vick

Man, Peter Weller sounds rough.
Also weird to be playing as Robocop without seeing that immortal looking "suit".. however considering how he moves it's probably not too bad of an idea to be first person.

Love Robocop to death though, so I'll buy this regardless. For a dollar!

SJRB

Man, Peter Weller sounds rough.
Also weird to be playing as Robocop without seeing that immortal looking "suit".. however considering how he moves it's probably not too bad of an idea to be first person.

Love Robocop to death though, so I'll buy this regardless. For a dollar!

He's 75 years old dude.

I hope we get a scanline filter option, it looks to clean without those classic scanlines.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Looks pretty good for a Robocop game. Personally I would’ve gone third person, but this studio’s come a long way from their Rambo game.

Spyxos

It doesn't look so terrible? Reminds me of that Terminator game a few years ago which wasn't bad either.

CamHostage

It looks so...scripted??!

It does seem to be an almost planned combat encounter, but maybe intentionally so?

Developer Teyon spent years making lightgun-style arcade gallery shooters (including the Rambo game a few years back plus all the Heavy Fire games,) and although Terminator Resistance is more of a full-fledged FPS, Robocop calls for slower and more methodical character movement. So it feels more like almost a hybrid of both shooting gallery + FPS play, where the challenge is built not on running and gunning but instead being very deliberate with your shot selection and aiming while lots of explosive shit and blood is flying around. The way I'm seeing the combat might be like this: you will take fire, because Robocop doesn't dodge and weave, but if you find your targets in the chaos and eliminate foes by levels of firepower danger, you should be able to survive encounters and recharge/repair on the way to the next encounter.

The developer calls the game a "FPS action RPG game", and I don't think they really mean something like "VATS" when they call this a RPG (probably more the character interactions like that seen with the informant builds up your quests,) but it could be more like a role-playing shooter than most FPSes?

Last edited:
You have to remember that this is an AA title (and hopefully it will be priced accordingly).

It's being made by the same studio as Terminator Resistence
, and that was a good game, just made without the triple A budget.

I have high hopes for this.
I kind of want to buy the two together because I still haven't played Terminator. I'm also praying to god that this studio or someone else makes a 1980's Red Dawn licensed game.

CamHostage

BTW, it wasn't noted in the OP and kind of glossed over in the announcement, but this game has been slightly delayed. It was originally supposed to be out this June, now it's hitting in September.

Also FYI, this game is made on Unreal Engine, though not UE5 (Teyon has been experimenting with UE5 and Robocop will clearly have some tech advancements over Terminator, plus will be new-gen-only, but it won't be until the upcoming PC racing sim Rennsport releases that the team will have a full production built on UE5.

Last edited:
His voice lacks the robotic undertone effect the films had, it’s great they got Weller to do the game but at least have it sound better than just talking into a mic.

The gun sound is disappointing too, lacks the punch the film version had. Even Robocop vs Terminator on Genesis got that right.

VN1X

I don't mind a bit of jank but the way those enemies just stand there, blasting away without looking for cover, as a mechanized super cop strolls in is kind of silly. Makes the combat seem incredibly dull.

I guess they nailed the atmosphere but gameplaywise I'm not convinced.

EDMIX

This looks really good actually. Might be a day 1, will need to see more, but so far it looks great.

rodrigolfp rodrigolfp Looks better, actually looks like a real game lol

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

This reminds me of that Terminator game on PS5 released awhile back. Was that any good?
Incredible fun actually. Especially if you are a fan of Terminator. The Annihilation Line DLC pushed it even further.

I was on the fence at first but some fellow Gaffers talked me into it and i ended up loving it.

I hope this will be just as good.

Kacho

Trailer makes it look bad but I'm willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt after Terminator. As long as its fun I'm in.

Stuart360

The Terminator game was pretty good for a lower budget game. I bet this will be decent too.
Not keen on his voice though, it sounds like someone doing a bad Peter Weller impression. If they couldnt get Weller it may of been better to just use a different voice.

Edit. Wait it IS Weller?, he sounds off a bit lol.

Last edited:

Denton

Terminator Resistance was fantastic, I will never forget its final mission.
This looks great. Sure, gameplay looks stiff, but it's Robocop so it makes sense. Atmosphere is on point.

TheMan

Looks alright but Robocop is not an agile character. So, it Looks like he just tanks through the bullets and shoots bad guys which will get old quick.

Aslo if I can’t shoot between a woman’s legs to hit a perp in the dick I’m gonna be quite disappointed

Top Bottom