• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

I have a question. Does the coins or currency have a bigger role in this game than I think. So far I found 1 merchant where I bought a prosthetic upgrade and I can upgrade Spirit Emblems but not much else?

Does merchants in the future have better items?

Yes. There are more merchants selling valuable items, plus the hook upgrades are bought with materials and coins.

Some merchants also sell money bags (that cannot be lost). I strongly advice buying those the soonest.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know, I’veooked at the money bags over and over that you can buy and thought “what a dumb ass thing to troll players for paying for the same thing you already have but losing a little coin”.

It’s JUST dawned on me the abov did what they are for, so you don’t lose money on death... what a twat I am...

-

Current I’m stuck on the corrupted monk, who just needs to fuck off and die already. Asshat has a swing the size of the battle area and one hit is near enough wiping me out. Meanwhile, it’s going to take at least 60 from me to get him down... ugh...

-

Has anybody else noticed that once you get to 9 health seeds, you don’t get anymore...? Twice now I’ve upgraded with the woman at the start, and I haven’t had anything extra, even though it’s told me it’s been upgraded? But weird, i haven’t got an achievement or anything either... surely it doesn’t cap at 9?

Skyr

You know, I’veooked at the money bags over and over that you can buy and thought “what a dumb ass thing to troll players for paying for the same thing you already have but losing a little coin”.

It’s JUST dawned on me the abov did what they are for, so you don’t lose money on death... what a twat I am...

-

Current I’m stuck on the corrupted monk, who just needs to fuck off and die already. Asshat has a swing the size of the battle area and one hit is near enough wiping me out. Meanwhile, it’s going to take at least 60 from me to get him down... ugh...

-

Has anybody else noticed that once you get to 9 health seeds, you don’t get anymore...? Twice now I’ve upgraded with the woman at the start, and I haven’t had anything extra, even though it’s told me it’s been upgraded? But weird, i haven’t got an achievement or anything either... surely it doesn’t cap at 9?

For the Monk:
Use Divine Cofetti. Also, snap seeds do instant damage to him

You max out at 10 health seeds

Been playing in pro and one x...I prefer the pro simply because of the controller in this game....x1x control I’m having issues with the lb/rb....I prefer the Xbox controller for most games but this ds4 seems perfect

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
gave up on lady butterfly for now. i'm sick of this hirata estate area.

defeated the chained ogre. wasn't too bad. his attacks are easy enough to avoid but it did take me a good few tries. what i did was sneak attack the two dudes at the bottom of the stairs then run up and kill the spear guy. i lured the ogre up to where the spear guy stood then ran back near where the guy sells info to de agro the ogre. i ran back up and climbed the ledge above him and gave him a deathblow. after that it was easy enough. his grab attacks are the worst but he's so slow it doesn't really matter.

now i'm just trying to get past the mini boss in the next area.

question: i got a dragonrot blood droplet. should i use it? i've read they are limited so i don't want to waste it.

Last edited:

Fuz

I have a question. Does the coins or currency have a bigger role in this game than I think. So far I found 1 merchant where I bought a prosthetic upgrade and I can upgrade Spirit Emblems but not much else?

Does merchants in the future have better items?
Yes.

Fbh

Disagree.

He's really weak to whirlwind slash in first form, also I kept forgetting to do in the video as I was whirlwinding like crazy but firecracker actually stuns him.
Then phase 2 Ichimonji is really good and can knock him out of scream, I was too aggressive in my video but he's really easy to block and has lots of moves that leave him open also in phase 2.

I did think he was kind of shitty at first, but once I learned what works against him I find him fine. Though when it comes to main story bosses there is 1 I find just ugh and unfun, even when you learn him....

Maybe you are right. I just got frustrated with a couple of attempts where he spammed his jumping grabb all the time and kept getting me from impossible angles. The first death against his scream also felt a bit cheap.

Overall his second form was more fun and pretty easy IMO, you just need to bait him into attacking you with his sword, at the end of the combo he will raise it high for one final blow and if you deflect that he will stay down for enough time to get like 5 or 6 hits.

I didn't know you could cancel his scream, will be good to know for the second playthrough. Though the good ol tactic of running the hell away when you see him getting ready worked too once you know to read when the move is coming

Last edited:

Calibos

Much love to "From" for including complete button re-mapping. I have my elite set up for Souls games, but I love when Devs do this for people. I can't stand when I get forced control schemes on me that are obtuse or not straight forward...I may be a special case though.

Loving the game and finally got to spend more time with it. I decided to restart because I had died so much to the Gate path guard, the Ogre and the Spear boy that I was frustrated. 5 hours of play time and a bunch of deaths turned into 1.5 hours of playtime and 3 deaths with all those mother fuckers dead and me feeling like I have a handle on things now. Onward!

PS: Anyone else get strong Ninja Gaiden vibes from the whole setup and first are up to the Horse Boss? Some of what is here, including the horse boss feels straight out of that game.

Ninja Gaiden Demon Samurai

Codes 208

Last night in a nutshell:

Me: I think I’ll go to bed at a decent time tonight.
*up until 3am just trying to beat O’Rin of the Water*

And the sad part is I still haven’t beaten her. I don’t understand why I’m having so much trouble with this mini boss, she’s predictable and yet I keep fucking up and she’ll absolutely destroy your vitality in a few good hits.

Codes 208

Been playing in pro and one x...I prefer the pro simply because of the controller in this game....x1x control I’m having issues with the lb/rb....I prefer the Xbox controller for most games but this ds4 seems perfect
You can switch the buttons to LT/RT which has helped a lot for me.

Armorian

Banned
Last night in a nutshell:

Me: I think I’ll go to bed at a decent time tonight.
*up until 3am just trying to beat O’Rin of the Water*

And the sad part is I still haven’t beaten her. I don’t understand why I’m having so much trouble with this mini boss, she’s predictable and yet I keep fucking up and she’ll absolutely destroy your vitality in a few good hits.

Before the fight you can throw some object on her (ceranic for example) when you're behind, that gives you opportunity for stealth kill :) As for the rest of the fight, parry, parry, parry...

Grinchy

Banned
You can switch the buttons to LT/RT which has helped a lot for me.
Damn, I should really do this. I've been using the Xboner controller just because I kept reading things about people having issues with the DS4. The bumper buttons being your primary buttons just does not work at all for me. Those bumpers kinda suck when used that often.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
wow, have you guys faced the dude in a dojo at the top floor of one of the buildings in the Ishina castle area?
That's Genichiro. Was my first big roadblock and a few other peoples', I think. FYI I tried him for 4 hours and then came back the next day and one-shotted him. If you're struggling after a while, take a break.

V4skunk

Banned
tenor.gif

I guess you do realize that by this definition you can fit probably 30% of all games ever released into what you call "soulsborne"? That would make it over night one of the biggest genres out there, step aside "action game" :D

You're just trolling at this stage, or have never played a Souls-game in your life.
You believe that a new twist to the combat and progression system makes Sekiro a completely different game to Soulsborne.
The core gameplay is identical and unique to Soulsborne games.
My psn is V4skunk. See that in 2010 I was there where it started with Demons Souls.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not sure if that's story related, I just stumbled across them
But has anyone came across
the headless[\spoiler]

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
the headless[\spoiler]
I came cross two of them. One carries katana and other carries spear but I haven't fought them yet, they are surrounded by demonic ghosts that can fuck you up.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Before the fight you can throw some object on her (ceranic for example) when you're behind, that gives you opportunity for stealth kill :) As for the rest of the fight, parry, parry, parry...
I wish I knew that’s sooner lol

Would’ve saved me hours of raging.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is anyone faced
big medieval armoured guy in in the temple area? I think that one was nods to Souls games.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Changing attack/parry to the triggers for the Xbone controller feels way better. I may still be done with this, though. The spear cunt in Hirata Estate is just so annoying and may have stripped me of my patience.

The parry timings feel so inconsistent to me. It says to do things right when the attack strikes, but that's always too late. It's like you have to press it early, like at the very start of the attack animation or halfway through. It's different for every strike. I keep expecting to need to press it right before the attack hits me and I can't wrap my head around this weird early press delay funkiness. I think this just isn't for me and I've loved every Souls game.

blackjon24

Just got to what has to be the last boss and most of the bosses at most took a couple hours for me to figure out.. lol but this one might take a couple days :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyone here beat this maniac?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Do you have Miriki counter skill? It does make the fight much easier with it.
Yeah, I even got 4 of them in a row during the fight and his posture still wasn't broken. Then one of the big club assholes came up out of nowhere and hit me when I was going in for more strikes so I couldn't finish off spearcunt :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RedVIper

Banned
Just got to what has to be the last boss and most of the bosses at most took a couple hours for me to figure out.. lol but this one might take a couple days :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyone here beat this maniac?

I've killed the idiot 3 times now, it's the only fight I found hard in the game. Good luck :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Fbh

Disagree.

He's really weak to whirlwind slash in first form, also I kept forgetting to do in the video as I was whirlwinding like crazy but firecracker actually stuns him.
Then phase 2 Ichimonji is really good and can knock him out of scream, I was too aggressive in my video but he's really easy to block and has lots of moves that leave him open also in phase 2.

I did think he was kind of shitty at first, but once I learned what works against him I find him fine. Though when it comes to main story bosses there is 1 I find just ugh and unfun, even when you learn him....

Well damn, not even 20 minutes later there's ANOTHER one lol.
This one was much easier though IMO, it starts in the easier second form and while I almost died when I saw I had to fight another ape at the same time during the second phase, at least the second one is really weak

the headless[\spoiler]

Yeah, he is annoying.
You need the buff from a special consumable for your attacks to hurt him and you also need to come with consumables to counter the "terror" status. His moveset is fairly basic and you can take him down quickly but having to keep an eye on the terror status bar and constantly changing between different items can make it pretty hard.

The reward for killing him is cool though but when I first encountered him I just ignored him and came back a lot later after a bunch of upgrades to kill him

Last edited:

Codes 208

Looks like DeModcracy already put a weakest to hardest bosses list (no mini-bosses)

Spoilers of course

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So... hehe... after beating the bull I continued exploring Ashina Castle via the roof. I look up and notice some kites flying in the air... oh how nice.... Then BAM.

So nice to still be surprised by From. I love their sense of humour so much. It kills me

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I finally bought a Pro.
I've been playing this on base PS4 so far, should I expect much smoother framerate on the Pro or is the difference minimal?

Well damn, not even 20 minutes later there's ANOTHER one lol.
This one was much easier though IMO, it starts in the easier second form and while I almost died when I saw I had to fight another ape at the same time during the second phase, at least the second one is really weak
Yup..... :messenger_astonished:

Helios

The parry timings feel so inconsistent to me. It says to do things right when the attack strikes, but that's always too late. It's like you have to press it early, like at the very start of the attack animation or halfway through. It's different for every strike. I keep expecting to need to press it right before the attack hits me and I can't wrap my head around this weird early press delay funkiness. I think this just isn't for me and I've loved every Souls game.
This may not be the case for you, but from what I understand if you spam the parry button too much the window for deflects gets smaller.

Makariel

You believe that a new twist to the combat and progression system makes Sekiro a completely different game to Soulsborne.
When you change the combat of a game and completely change the progression system of a game... you have a different game!

tenor.gif

Yeah, the concept is difficult to grasp at first.

Codes 208

When you change the combat of a game and completely change the progression system of a game... you have a different game!

tenor.gif

Yeah, the concept is difficult to grasp at first.
I see what he’s getting at. The combat isn’t alien enough for me to consider it it’s own type of genre, the emphasis on parry, dodge, swing has been a staple of FROM since demon souls. As for progression, the branching tree is definitely a different choice from the usual soul levels, but the end game isn’t that much different with what you can unlock. And the prosthetic tools are upgraded with minerals in a similar manner as using various titanite in DS.

On top of that the idol and gourd mechanics are a direct placement for bonfires/lamps and Estus flasks. And the game still focuses on overwhelming bosses and a high difficulty curve just like it’s predeccesors.
Arguably there’s definitely some influence from other stealth oriented action games like assassins creed (even a bit of Zelda from collecting items to upgrade vitality/damage) but overall the biggest vibe I get is bloodborne. So while I wouldn’t call this samurai souls, I would put as a third tier alongside dark souls and bloodborne.

Last edited:

Dunki

I just saw elajjaz destroying the ape in his speedrun. He barely moved an it was over in like 2 minutes...

I feel I am so terrrible at this game.

His current time is 1 hour 19 but he is using new starts now....

Fbh

I see what he’s getting at. The combat isn’t alien enough for me to consider it it’s own type of genre, the emphasis on parry, dodge, swing has been a staple of FROM since demon souls. As for progression, the branching tree is definitely a different choice from the usual soul levels, but the end game isn’t that much different with what you can unlock. And the prosthetic tools are upgraded with minerals in a similar manner as using various titanite in DS.

On top of that the idol and gourd mechanics are a direct placement for bonfires/lamps and Estus flasks. And the game still focuses on overwhelming bosses and a high difficulty curve just like it’s predeccesors.
Arguably there’s definitely some influence from other stealth oriented action games like assassins creed (even a bit of Zelda from collecting items to upgrade vitality/damage) but overall the biggest vibe I get is bloodborne. So while I wouldn’t call this samurai souls, I would put as a third tier alongside dark souls and bloodborne.

I don't know man. I mean, it's still Miyazaki and FROM and it's still a third person melee combat focused game. I think there's always going to be a certain style and similarity to them. Same way Bayonetta, MGS: Rising and Wonderful 101 have a lot in common, or GTA and Red Dead or (at least in recent installments) Fallout and Elder scrolls, or most open world Ubisoft Games, etc. But we don't go calling them "Platislash" or "Rockstabox" or "BethesdRPG's".

Between the stealth, progression, storytelling and traversal changes I think Sekiro feels different enough to be considered it's own thing. Acting as if FROM just makes the same game over and over with a different coat of pain is a disservice to the studio IMO.

RedVIper

Banned
Anyone think the soundtrack of this game is completely forgettable (Like I literally can't recall a single one and I've beaten it 3 times), there's no The First Hunter, Ludwig The Accursed, Soul Of Cinder, like just listen to this stuff:

Codes 208

I don't know man. I mean, it's still Miyazaki and FROM and it's still a third person melee combat focused game. I think there's always going to be a certain style and similarity to them. Same way Bayonetta, MGS: Rising and Wonderful 101 have a lot in common, or GTA and Red Dead or (at least in recent installments) Fallout and Elder scrolls, or most open world Ubisoft Games, etc. But we don't go calling them "Platislash" or "Rockstabox" or "BethesdRPG's".

Between the stealth, progression, storytelling and traversal changes I think Sekiro feels different enough to be considered it's own thing. Acting as if FROM just makes the same game over and over with a different coat of pain is a disservice to the studio IMO.
By no means do I think this is the same game, hence why I don’t consider it samurai souls, but it does have what I believe to be around 70% of what makes a Souls game a Souls game.

Not to say that’s a bad thing.

Ellis

Anyone think the soundtrack of this game is completely forgettable (Like I literally can't recall a single one and I've beaten it 3 times), there's no The First Hunter, Ludwig The Accursed, Soul Of Cinder, like just listen to this stuff:

I'm not finished with the game, but so far it is a rather disappointing soundtrack. Especially when compared to the likes of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. I didn't find the Dark Souls trilogy music to be memorable either.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins remains the GOAT in this area.

Makariel

Ok I got on top of that mountain with the Senpou temple, made a selfie at the giant buddha, but other than the knight on the bridge I don't seem to find any (mini) bosses here. Am I missing something?

Looks like DeModcracy already put a weakest to hardest bosses list (no mini-bosses)

Spoilers of course

Should have called the video "easiest to hardest based on blind playthrough."
Corrupted Monk, ghost/illusion
is probably the easiest non gimmick boss in the game once you learn his weakness and exploit it. Takes 20-30 seconds.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Ok I got on top of that mountain with the Senpou temple, made a selfie at the giant buddha, but other than the knight on the bridge I don't seem to find any (mini) bosses here. Am I missing something?
There’s a mini-boss that’s somewhat off the beaten path. Explore the area around the Ogre with the shield.

There’s a clearing with what looks like a wagon on fire. If you go down a winding path from there, you’ll come to the backside of a building, where you can grapple up onto the rafters — there’s enemies and a boss there. They’re easy to miss!

Codes 208

Should have called the video "easiest to hardest based on blind playthrough."
Corrupted Monk, ghost/illusion
is probably the easiest non gimmick boss in the game once you learn his weakness and exploit it. Takes 20-30 seconds.
I just got to him, what is his weakness?

I just got to him, what is his weakness?
I’m stuck on corrupted monk so do tell.
Actually had a vid of this one to show how easy he is, but deleted by accident, still have my second encounter version.

Anyway for ghost/illusion version in zombie town, use confetti to massively buff damage, firecracker for sub weapon, and snap seed on item (snap seed stuns and does big damage).
So yeah, use confetti before you trigger him, and then run up and use firecracker to stun him then...
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, firecracker
R1, R1, snap seed
R1, R1, snap seed
R1, R1, snap seed
R1, R1, snap seed
R1, and R1 finisher.....

Last edited: