• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice | OT | Borne of Souls

The spear guy in hirata state was kicking my ass so bad i was looking for ways to cheese him. None worked.
Then i noticed something while trying to cheese him with firecrackers. When you attack an enemy with a combo there's a visual/audio cue, like a spark, that tells you it's time to deflect/defend/dodge/jump.
So, it's (usually) 1, 2, 3, deflect. Now i understand what people meant when they said it's like a rythim game.
Call me dumb, but i had never noticed it before because i was so afraid to die. The muscle memory tells you to dodge dodge dodge.
I was like Neo seeing the matrix code. Killed the seven spear guy. Moved on to that ninja asshole in the pit. Got him on my third try.

Realized i had somehow missed a huge chunk of hirata state which has a key item. The first time i was in hirata state i was like a little bitch crying in a corner. Now i was the goddam ninja terminator.
I don't know how much was actual skill or just my ninja being stronger but i was tearing through groups of enemies with ease.
Finally unlocked the door that leads to lady butterfly and almost killed her on my first try. It took me a few tries but i got her as well.

I still have mixed feelings about sekiro. But i can't stop playing.

Both spear guys can be easily cheesed. For the one in Hirata, you get him close to the pagoda and attack him from the corners and the 7 spears is even funnier, you make him climb the staircase, drop below and slash at his feet.

voidenberg

Both spear guys can be easily cheesed. For the one in Hirata, you get him close to the pagoda and attack him from the corners and the 7 spears is even funnier, you make him climb the staircase, drop below and slash at his feet.

I watched a video of a guy doing this. It looks so stupid. To be honest i'm glad i learned to do it legit. You can't cheese every enemy.

Saruhashi

Banned
I watched a video of a guy doing this. It looks so stupid. To be honest i'm glad i learned to do it legit. You can't cheese every enemy.

Yeah, I always feel a bit regretful when I cheat a boss. Even though nobody would ever find out or call me out on it I still feel like "I wish I could have done it properly".

Calibos

Yeah, it's like I don't mind a difficult game at all. I'm glad they put themselves out there with this one and it obviously resonates with a lot of people. I just don't know that it's hitting the spot for me, personally. I'm not getting that rewarding charge when I progress through a point I was stuck at before. It's just strange because I have never felt this apathetic towards a From game and the quality is clearly here in this one.

I went to play some more earlier and just went a different direction and found myself at another boss fight. This one seems almost easy. I almost beat him on my first try. It's just that I'm finding myself not having fun while playing. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it and should shelve it for a bit.

Ohhh man...I am feeling the burn now. I am just stuck at the Fatty Drunk. Close to quitting for a couple weeks as well. I always forget about the stress and anger that comes along with From games. I am also realizing how much I leaned on help from NPCs or multiplayer for the Dark Souls games. This game has a "No soup for me" attitude...

Ohhh man...I am feeling the burn now. I am just stuck at the Fatty Drunk. Close to quitting for a couple weeks as well. I always forget about the stress and anger that comes along with From games. I am also realizing how much I leaned on help from NPCs or multiplayer for the Dark Souls games. This game has a "No soup for me" attitude...

You have the assistance of an NPC in that area. First, clean up the area by killing the mobs and once they are done, you summon the NPC and destroy the drunk easily. The NPC attacks from one side and you from the other side. For making things easier, invisibility sugar. That's one of the most useful items in the game.

voidenberg

Yeah, I always feel a bit regretful when I cheat a boss. Even though nobody would ever find out or call me out on it I still feel like "I wish I could have done it properly".
I cheesed many bosses in previous games and i'm not ashamed. But in sekiro i feel there's a pay off if you do it proper. What i learned in that fight helped me in subsequent encounters.
You can't cheat every enemy. And eventually you will hit a wall you can't cheese your way through.

Skyr

1. Stab the two guys in the side building
2. Sneak behind the crew and stab one of the shield guys
3. Take out all the goons as quick and aggressive as possible.
4. Run away from fatty until he looses aggro.
5. Backstab him
6. Activate your buddy to help you out
7. Fuck fatty up while he bashes your buddy. When he focuses on you let your buddy do the work. Rinse and repeat.
8. Ez win

Calibos

1. Stab the two guys in the side building
2. Sneak behind the crew and stab one of the shield guys
3. Take out all the goons as quick and aggressive as possible.
4. Run away from fatty until he looses aggro.
5. Backstab him
6. Activate your buddy to help you out
7. Fuck fatty up while he bashes your buddy. When he focuses on you let your buddy do the work. Rinse and repeat.
8. Ez win

Thanks...will try. Sometimes I can't see the forest through the trees....

tassletine

Been mentioned above, no problems at all on PC. Everything is buttery smooth and thanks to SSD the load times are pretty short (not quite 2 seconds, more like 3 to 4 seconds on my machine - but a far cry from staring at the Bloodborne logo for a solid minute and a half in their previous game). My trusty old XBox controller also still works like a charm. The engine learned a few new tricks, I was stunned when NPC suddenly moved their mouths while talking. Shadows and lighting seem better, and I can't remember leaving footprints in mud in previous games. I am also not certain the game would have been any better if they would have changed the engine. They have plenty of experience with their tech, and just swapping to a new engine might cause all sorts of new issues.

That's neat for Pc oweners but the majority of gamers are playing this on consoles and I really think there should have been more consideration for the core audience -- at least up to the standard of the games it's competing against on those platforms.
For comparisons sake -- The loading times are better than Bloodborne but still about half a minute, including the 10 second death animation. It's just on the side of bearable in a boss fight.

I disagree about the tech though. They've plenty of experience with that ancient engine, but they've never managed to make it run smoothly.
They excel at gameplay / level design but the tech isn't at the same level. It's good that they've finally caught up with putting footprints in the mud, but your example counts against what you're saying as that's very standard now.

I think you could be right though, they've spent years refining their engine and still haven't mastered it. A jump to a new one would probably be worse.

Grinchy

Banned
lol yeah I only tried him a couple times when I didn't expect to be fighting anyone. So I went back to fight the horse-riding guy. He actually felt pretty easy and is the one I almost beat on the first try.

It's weird how on one hand, I'm not overly feeling this game, but on the other, I still keep thinking about it and wanting to come back. I'll probably play some today and just go beat the horse rider guy and progress on that path.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Fatty Drunk is one of those fights where before it even starts you can level the playing field. yeah you have to kill all the other guys but you have a lot of space to work in. there is that pond in the middle where you can go straight to get to the mob or left to run inside the building. going through the building you can sneak your way near the boss.

i took out the mob by first running up to the bow and arrow guy and taking them out, then running from soldier to soldier. for the shield guys you just need one swing of the axe and they are down. then run away and de-aggro the boss. then sneak up and stealth DB him -- now he is halfway dead. at this point run to the NPC and talk to him fast, he will start fighting. all you have to do is stay back and hack away at a distracted drunken fella. you don't really even need to be able to fight him one on one.

good luck!

Codes 208

It just occurred to me that with how tough the base game bosses are, I don’t even want to know how sadistic From will get with the DLC. Since as many of you may recall, their past history with dlc difficulty is absolutely nuts. We got Artorias, Manus, Ludwig, Kos, Sister Friede, Midir and Slaveknight Gael. Several of whom I’d put as an 11 out of a 1-10 get rekt scale.

Fuz

So. Killed Lady Butterfly yesterday, went around a bit, got raped by an headless, found 5-6 save points, wandered some more, got lost and confused and I just decided to follow them in order. FUCK THE ROOFTOPS, and now I just killed Jinsuke Saze.

I cheesed him SO HARD, he was raping me so bad, I really suck at parrying, then I found a shameful cheap tactic.
Just kept advancing and literally non-stop spamming space and left mouse. I won some... eel thing and a tendinitis.

Yeah, I'm bad at this game. I can't parry for shit. I'm playing full stealth and so far I cheesed EVERYTHING, from bosses to normal mobs (those friggin' samurais in the tower - I can only stealth kill them). Kill one-two, RUN AWAY AND HIDE, kill the rest, RUN AWAY AND HIDE, backstab the boss and pray Jesus.

Sooner or later I'm gonna find a boss I can't cheese and that will end my playthrough. And I'm pretty good at Souls games, usually. For shame.
EDIT: OH HAI GENICHIRO. *sigh*

You have the assistance of an NPC in that area.
Anything good happens if you save him? Mine died like an idiot just at the end of the fight.

Last edited:

alienator

Fatty Drunk is one of those fights where before it even starts you can level the playing field. yeah you have to kill all the other guys but you have a lot of space to work in. there is that pond in the middle where you can go straight to get to the mob or left to run inside the building. going through the building you can sneak your way near the boss.

i took out the mob by first running up to the bow and arrow guy and taking them out, then running from soldier to soldier. for the shield guys you just need one swing of the axe and they are down. then run away and de-aggro the boss. then sneak up and stealth DB him -- now he is halfway dead. at this point run to the NPC and talk to him fast, he will start fighting. all you have to do is stay back and hack away at a distracted drunken fella. you don't really even need to be able to fight him one on one.

good luck!

i super cheesed him by luring him first (u can lure the boss without alerting the whole mob) just walk far enough (from the left side) and he will notice u... then i lured him to the left side of the pond.. run away so he lost sight and returned to his normal position. u can then run back quickly and take a backstab, one healthbar gone. ,lure him again, this time, into the pond... when he follows u, quickly run to the npc and trigger him. then u just have to fight him in the pond without the mob.. with the npc :) he dies. Supercheese. but i died so many times there i got silly.

Makariel

That's neat for Pc oweners but the majority of gamers are playing this on consoles and I really think there should have been more consideration for the core audience [...]
You mean those who still play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 on their Playstation 3 and never got another console? ;) Kidding of course, but I would think that since they started releasing PC versions as well, there is a significant number of their "core audience" also found on PC. But yes, of course the game should run well on any device it's being released. Seems like those Activision dollars mostly went into marketing and not the optimization of the console versions.

So. Killed Lady Butterfly yesterday, went around a bit, got raped by an headless, found 5-6 save points, wandered some more, got lost and confused and I just decided to follow them in order. FUCK THE ROOFTOPS, and now I just killed Jinsuke Saze.

I cheesed him SO HARD, he was raping me so bad, I really suck at parrying, then I found a shameful cheap tactic.
Just kept advancing and literally non-stop spamming space and left mouse. I won some... eel thing and a tendinitis.

Yeah, I'm bad at this game. I can't parry for shit. I'm playing full stealth and so far I cheesed EVERYTHING, from bosses to normal mobs (those friggin' samurais in the tower - I can only stealth kill them). Kill one-two, RUN AWAY AND HIDE, kill the rest, RUN AWAY AND HIDE, backstab the boss and pray Jesus.

Sooner or later I'm gonna find a boss I can't cheese and that will end my playthrough. And I'm pretty good at Souls games, usually. For shame.
EDIT: OH HAI GENICHIRO. *sigh*

Anything good happens if you save him? Mine died like an idiot just at the end of the fight.

No, he just told me he was very old for that shit and thas about it. I returned to the area but the dude was gone so as this is a recall I guess there is no side quest or whatever.

The sword master is to be cheesed heavily using poison. His life bar empties in a matter of seconds.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
spent some time this morning exploring Ashina Castle, been trying to beat the Spears guy but having lots of trouble. i'm never sure if i am doing the mikiri counter right...

Codes 208

so I’m stuck on working on one of the endings.
more specifically I’m trying to get the return ending. I have the two visceral from the great snakes but so far the divine child’s dialogue has been about rice and the harvest isn’t ready yet. I’ve given her the divine tome infested as well. Storyline-wise I’ve beaten the corrupted monk but not the guardian ape.

I also remember reading that there should be another tome in the cave near the idol just before the screen monkeys.

Helios

more specifically I’m trying to get the return ending. I have the two visceral from the great snakes but so far the divine child’s dialogue has been about rice and the harvest isn’t ready yet. I’ve given her the divine tome infested as well. Storyline-wise I’ve beaten the corrupted monk but not the guardian ape.

I also remember reading that there should be another tome in the cave near the idol just before the screen monkeys.
At some point she'll require persimmon and if you give it to her she'll give you rice for kuro. not sure if you've already done this or if this is even required.

Last edited:

Codes 208

At some point she'll require persimmon and if you give it to her she'll give you rice for kuro. not sure if you've already done this or if this is even required.
she hasn’t asked for a persimmon yet, but I have one ready for that.
I second this question as well.
Depends on how far you are. If you’re near the beginning, the second idol of hirata estates going forward (assuming you’ve already opened the large gate for a shortcut) is a fast way for XP.

Otherwise if you’re mid-game the zombies at Mibu Village give decent xp for being 1-2 shot kills

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Same. That's why i don't even try using it against stronger enemies.

i try to use it but my muscle memory from past From games is so ingrained that i always hit "dodge" and try to roll left or right when i should be going straight towards them.

i must unlearn what i have learned. but it's tough!

Helios

she hasn’t asked for a persimmon yet, but I have one ready for that.
I think she needs more than one. There's a vendor in Senpou Temple near the Shugedo idol that sells 2 . There's a special one that you can get but I don't know if it does anything special. From what I read, it's not required.

I'm also trying to get the ending but I think I'm too far into the game to do so since Kuro is unavailable right now.

V4skunk

Banned
When you change the combat of a game and completely change the progression system of a game... you have a different game!

tenor.gif

Yeah, the concept is difficult to grasp at first.
You can't grasp that the new twist still uses the same old core soulsborne formula.

Codes 208

I think she needs more than one. There's a vendor in Senpou Temple near the Shugedo idol that sells 2 . There's a special one that you can get but I don't know if it does anything special. From what I read, it's not required.

I'm also trying to get the ending but I think I'm too far into the game to do so since Kuro is unavailable right now.
ive read that if you’ve defeated the divine dragon already it may lock you out of this ending, idk for sure how accurate that is.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
skunk stinking up the place with his lame one note criticism.

yes we get it, it's exactly like the other games. you are brilliant. here's a cookie.

Last edited:
so I’m stuck on working on one of the endings.

You need to give the old lady the rice, give it to her near where you fight Guardian Ape and she'll tip you on how to get the visceral, and then get rice again and take it to the other near the kite you use to get to the other visceral and kill the snake. When you return for more rice she should be hungry. Then continue the quest from then on. That's how it worked for me.

Codes 208

You need to give the old lady the rice, give it to her near where you fight Guardian Ape and she'll tip you on how to get the visceral, and then get rice again and take it to the other near the kite you use to get to the other visceral and kill the snake. When you return for more rice she should be hungry. Then continue the quest from then on. That's how it worked for me.
the guild I read suggested that you could also eat the rice to speed it up. Perhaps it’s based on how many times you’ve rested at idols?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Damn!

I didn't know Genichiro had a third phase!!! I thought I finally beat him but man but once fight started I had barely had any health of healing items left.
The game does this to you MANY times, so get used to it. ;)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The game does this to you MANY times, so get used to it. ;)
Yeah, I noticed!
They pulled same thing with Ape boss. I thought I beat him but he took his severed head and that giant sword and came at me.

I actually love it! It adds excitement to the boss fights.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Opinions on first playthrough:
Japanese voices or English voices?
I was doing Japanese and I ended up finding myself just quickly reading the subtitles and skipping through the lines more quickly by pressing the button. When I've already read the line and someone is still standing there making noises that don't mean anything to my brain, it feels pointless to sit through the whole thing.

Codes 208

Yeah, I noticed!
They pulled same thing with Ape boss. I thought I beat him but he took his severed head and that giant sword and came at me.

I actually love it! It adds excitement to the boss fights.
It’s not even the earliest iteration. I audibly yelled into my mic while in a party with friends “SHE HAS A THIRD PHASE?!?” When I was fighting Phantom Butterfly.

Odinnii

Finished the game yesterday. Went back today to clear the optional stuff.

Had a problem with
Demon of Hatred
until I went back and got the Fire umbrella. Then the fight was almost too easy. After the battle though, I realized who I was fighting. Hit me right in the feels.

Makariel

Opinions on first playthrough:
Japanese voices or English voices?
Japanes voices and English subtitles for me.

You can't grasp that the new twist still uses the same old core soulsborne formula.
You repeat the same thing over and over and expect the outcome to change. How about you play some other soulsborne games in between, like Zelda, Castlevania or Bionic Commando? I'm starting to feel like I'm in Mel Brooks' Dracula.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Beat that giant Ape as well. His second phase isn’t that hard if you parry his big sword attacks.

tassletine

You mean those who still play Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 on their Playstation 3 and never got another console? ;) Kidding of course, but I would think that since they started releasing PC versions as well, there is a significant number of their "core audience" also found on PC. But yes, of course the game should run well on any device it's being released. Seems like those Activision dollars mostly went into marketing and not the optimization of the console versions.

Absolutely, but I wouldn’t blame Activision. From games are always a bit janky and compromised. There’s a good reason there’s no multiplayer in this.

tassletine

skunk stinking up the place with his lame one note criticism.

yes we get it, it's exactly like the other games. you are brilliant. here's a cookie.

Both sides of the argument are extreme — This isn’t the same old souls formula but neither has this game come up with a completly new gameplay system. It’s a mash of mainstream formulas and From stuff.

Top Bottom