• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

Gents,

Currently doing my Nightmare run and was thinking I would throw Assignment in there.

Around which Chapter would be a good place to put it in you think?

I suppose inbetween chapters 5 & 6 would be the best spot to squeeze the DLC in if you're gonna swap back n forth.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Started playing the DLC, it's very very good so far. So glad I bought the season pass, this is the kind of DLC I can get behind. Also it's smooth 30fps so far. Love it.

Timeaisis

I got to admit, this game has been growing on me. Frustrating at first, but now I'm in the groove and I'm really enjoying myself. On chapter 7 now.

sphinx

the piano man
what do you guy think are the chances of getting a complete retail release, game + all the DLC, at some point in the future?

you think DLC will remain digital only?

myco666

THE CONSEQUENCE confirmed for April 21!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dGYE5Y7uEY

Sooner than I expected. Hopefully encounter design is as good as the main game.

what do you guy think are the chances of getting a complete retail release, game + all the DLC, at some point in the future?

you think DLC will remain digital only?

Well this is Bethesda published game so there is a high possibility that there will be complete edition. Rage didn't get one though but yeah.

Was expecting mid-May so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Can't wait.

The majority did move on, production on the DLC wrapped weeks ago. Curious if they decide to do a new IP or jump straight into a sequel.

considering how well it did, I'd imagine both the devs and pubs would want to capitalize on a sequel ASAP, which they honestly should.

hey guys..I have a question, i remember reading an interview a while back, but maybe I'm mistaken..

does anyone know if this The Evil Within is Mikami's last game, in terms of directing

gelf

Good to see the DLC coming quickly now. Hopefully I'll be able to go through it all in one batch by the time I'm done with Bloodborne.

hey guys..I have a question, i remember reading an interview a while back, but maybe I'm mistaken..

does anyone know if this The Evil Within is Mikami's last game, in terms of directing

It was going to be, but then Zenimax/Bethesda bought his studio. He says that now that he doesn't need to focus too much on the management side of the company, he's free to keep directing games.

I don't have a link, but someone can back me up.

It was going to be, but then Zenimax/Bethesda bought his studio. He says that now that he doesn't need to focus too much on the management side of the company, he's free to keep directing games.

YESSSS..that's great to hear, Mikami is one of the legends of game directing and its nice to see him to continue..

I love Evil Within, and wouldn't mind a sequel..but i wonder if he is going to continue with the RE4/TEW type games, or if he will try something new, as we all know he can make unique games like Vanquish etc.

I played The Assignment again to get the rest of the trophies. I enjoyed it a lot more this time. I also really like kuryama mode. Found a few more of the orgasmic Tango snails as well.

-MD-

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

It was this line of thinking that made news in 2010. In an interview with Famitsu shortly after joining Bethesda, Mikami said that his first game for Tango would be the last he would direct himself, in part to create opportunities for others.

"I can only last for so long handling both director and company president duties, and besides, I want to give our younger developers a chance," he said. "Knowing that, of course, makes me want to put all of my experience, my energy and everything else I've got into this game. I'm pretty lucky that [Bethesda] was willing to accept that, too. Too many publishers are only interested in the very near future, after all."

Those comments led to reports online of Mikami planning to retire as a director, which he says didn't go over well with higher-ups at Bethesda and may not end up being true.

"I probably shouldn't have said that," says Mikami. "My bosses were pretty upset. That was something I decided before I started Tango, that the next project would be my last. ... I was thinking back then that I would have to spend more time managing the studio and training people rather than directing. But now because Tango is part of Bethesda, I have less management overhead. So I have more time to get involved with a game than I originally thought I would."

At this point, Mikami says he doesn't know who will direct Tango's next game. It might be him. It might be someone else at Tango. In his interview answers, he bounces back and forth between his desires to lead projects and to give team members chances to lead their own.

cj_iwakura

I finished it(and subsequently sold it), but I'll share my thoughts.

+
  • Good-decent music(of course, it's Takada... but still kind of phoned in.)
  • Good variety of areas, even if it got a little samey.
  • Story finally gets interesting at a certain point, BUT...
  • Fun boss fights, BUT...

-
  • Artificial challenge. Areas made harder, but checkpoints negate it. It's more FRUSTRATING than difficult.
  • Major identity crisis. Be RE or be SH. You can't be both.
  • ...then the game ends. It goes nowhere.
  • ...the best boss fight is halfway through the game, and the final boss fight is nothing.

It's a solid 2.5-3/5. Not a bad game, just flawed.

The only place there is artificial challenge in the game is the very very start of chapter 6. Thats because a checkpoint should have been between the two rooms.

Everything else is fair but maybe a little hard to figure out. Once i figured out how each boss fight can be played during my akumu no upgrade run. Even the chapter 10s final boss is dead in less than 2 minutes with no upgrades and without taking damage.

This is definitely my 2014 GOTY.

The story is whatever it is, but i think all stories in games are shit. if the protagonist is likable, and what im doing is plausible, im down if the game plays well. Shooting people in this game is so much fun.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Love the game so far, up to chapter 7 now.

Only had trouble with the chapter 6 boss until now because i didn't know how to dodge it
and didn't have a lot of ammo because of the encounter just before it.

I upgraded the revolver and the sprint ability. What else should I upgrade right now?

cj_iwakura

Love the game so far, up to chapter 7 now.

Only had trouble with the chapter 6 boss until now because i didn't know how to dodge it
and didn't have a lot of ammo because of the encounter just before it.

I upgraded the revolver and the sprint ability. What else should I upgrade right now?

Ammunition capacity, definitely. Revolver and shotgun, then maybe the crossbow. Sprint was a great choice.

Ugh... trying so hard not give up on my Akumu run (middle of Ch6)

Its not that it's even that hard. Its that the game's mechanics just constantly fall apart. Half if not more of my deaths have been for stupid shit like getting caught on geometry, Joseph getting himself killed, etc.

Oh well...

Its not that it's even that hard. Its that the game's mechanics just constantly fall apart. Half if not more of my deaths have been for stupid shit like getting caught on geometry, Joseph getting himself killed, etc.

Oh well...
Which area are you at?

Oh well...

dont kill any of the haunted just run and pistol shot 3 of the elevators than snipe the last from the bridge and run into the place where the chainsaw guy comes out. Die. When you restart all the enemies will be gone. If you kill the chainsaw guy, first go, you can also collect all the yummy green gel.

if you want more help i can write a full set of instructions on how to win the area.

BaZZaa

Neo Member
Ammunition capacity, definitely. Revolver and shotgun, then maybe the crossbow. Sprint was a great choice.

Thanks, put some points in the revolver and the ammunition. Much better now with some more bullets and matches. Up to chapter 9 now, loved chapter 7 the most up till now. Only thing I hated is when i went exploring I allways chose the wrong way shutting everything up behind me so I couldnt go back and explore some more.

dont kill any of the haunted just run and pistol shot 3 of the elevators than snipe the last from the bridge and run into the place where the chainsaw guy comes out. Die. When you restart all the enemies will be gone. If you kill the chainsaw guy, first go, you can also collect all the yummy green gel.

if you want more help i can write a full set of instructions on how to win the area.

I'll try that, thanks :)

I'll try that, thanks :)

in my no upgrade run, i used my pistol on the guy on the elevator on the right.
Jumped down, waited for the bolts.

Used my Agony to shoot the middle elevator because i had no points in accuracy and the agony is pinpoint with the arc. Shot an electrical bolt on my way up the stairs into the stairs. reloaded my agony and harpooned the 3rd elevator on the left. Pistol the guy with the molotov. Pull out the sniper and off the last elevator then run and jump off the ladder to the left and make it down to the chain saw guy for the checkpoint. . Once i check pointed. i usually died and then went back and grabbed all the ammo and defused all the bombs to make bolts to kill the chainsaw guy.

Dont forget to turn on the generator and get the stash in that room.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A reminder, the second DLC, The Consequence, should be available for download in 12-16 or so hours from now on Steam, and shortly after on Xbox One.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Aww yeah Detective Tight Jeans is on the case.

The first DLC made me actually like Kidman, I didn't like her much in the main game but I warmed up to her, so to see how the second DLC does. I also thought the first DLC was enjoyable despite being stealth-based, to see how the second DLC is now, and this one we will have a gun, so yai. It also looks to mostly take place in the city setting though, so to be seen.

With the game on sale up here in Canada and having some time between this and Revelations 2 I'm thinking of picking TEW up. Have the post release patches improved performance on the console versions at all, specifically on XB1? Remember the PS4 version looking a little dicy at launch (imagine it was a similar situation on XB1).

Althane

With the game on sale up here in Canada and having some time between this and Revelations 2 I'm thinking of picking TEW up. Have the post release patches improved performance on the console versions at all, specifically on XB1? Remember the PS4 version looking a little dicy at launch (imagine it was a similar situation on XB1).

In here for the same reason. If I liked Alan Wake, and the Resident Evil series, would I like TEW? Not sure how the gameplay compares.

Top Bottom