• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

tootie923

Are there any pictures of the console as it relates to someone's hand size? It looks really small. I saw GameXplain had an unboxing video but I didn't want to watch that because I want to unbox it myself and smell the glorious plastic.

Here's the UK version at least.

71oZSDRZz6L._SL1500_.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
RE: Filters; I haven't played Kirby yet. So far I've been satisfied with CRT and Pixel Perfect depending on the game. I'd probably go 4:3 if a dominant element of the game was supposed to be round.

Yoshi's Island emulates well, I've 100%ed up to 1-8. Only issue is the transition when you touch a Fuzzy the effect is wrong. It's supposed to do a little puff and then begin warping the background in mode 7. Instead you get this flash of incorrect background sprites and then it warps the background. It's only for like 5 or 6 frames, but it's conspicuously wrong. Music sounds correct.
A gaffer already had a small seizure from that new background flash. Not even joking. :( It's probably rare but it's still obnoxious and bothered me as well.

Robin64

I have mega Man X2 and x3 carts but if I could have them all on the classic That would be legitttttt.

Assuming they run. They use chips that the SNES Mini doesn't currently have to emulate. Now it might, but the NES Mini stripped out many things it didn't need, even including certain letters and numbers in its font that no game used. Fingers cross, though, those games are badass.

Persona7

Banned
Got a call from GameStop and they said they'll hold it all day Friday until COB but no more. Saturday it's open sale. (Re: Preorder)

They have to hold it for at least 48 hours according to the official policy. I had a store do this once because the manager decided to ignore the policy so I complained and I got a free copy of the game shipped directly to my house and a big ass gift card.

They have to hold it for at least 48 hours according to the official policy. I had a store do this once because the manager decided to ignore the policy so I complained and I got a free copy of the game shipped directly to my house and a big ass gift card.

Yeah my receipt definitely says 48 hours, but I was always picking it up Friday anyway. IDK if worth to try and complain.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Assuming they run. They use chips that the SNES Mini doesn't currently have to emulate. Now it might, but the NES Mini stripped out many things it didn't need, even including certain letters and numbers in its font that no game used. Fingers cross, though, those games are badass.

Oh really? I didn't know X2 and x3 used special chips.

Blizzard

Banned
I just realized I was wrong, the Target order HASN'T shipped. It's just preparing to be sent to UPS, so like Amazon, it's not even predicted to arrive until October 5 or later. Auuugh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Oh really? I didn't know X2 and x3 used special chips.

So the SNES had a really, really weak processor which meant if you did anything that needed to do special math, the processor couldn't keep up. Here's an example from X2 -- to be able to draw Sigma's head as a polygon wireframe like this, the SNES needs to do lots of trig math for the rotations and perspective correction. The regular SNES has some techniques for fast rotations of sprites in 2D ("Mode 7") but can't do the same thing for points in 3D space like this polygon mesh. And at 3.5 Mhz the processor doesn't have a lot of juice to spare to do the math!

Capcom made their own processor called the CX4 to do this stuff, and it's only used in X2 and X3, nothing else! The upside is that those games can do some cool unique stuff. The downside is that you can't rely on the emulator to have implemented it for other stuff.

Here's a list of the main SNES chips and whether we think they're implemented:
CX4: Used for polygons in Mega Man X2 and X3 [neither in SNES classic]
DSP-1: Used for sprite rotation in Mario Kart and Pilotwings [Mario Kart is in SNES classic]
SA1: Used for a bunch of math and drawing stuff in Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and a bunch of other late release games [Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star are in SNES classic]
Super FX: Used for polygons in Star Fox and Yoshi's Island [both in SNES Classic] -- and in addition Star Fox 2 uses an upgraded version of the Super FX chip, so that's also supported
S-DD1: Used to decompress compressed data in a handful of huge late release games like Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 [neither in SNES classic]

There are a few other chips used for random minor games and a few Japan-only chips, but those are the main ones for games you would have heard of. So the good thing is that the four most common chips are implemented in the emulator for sure. We're just not sure about CX4 or S-DD1.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So the SNES had a really, really weak processor which meant if you did anything that needed to do special math, the processor couldn't keep up. Here's an example from X2 -- to be able to draw Sigma's head as a polygon wireframe like this, the SNES needs to do lots of trig math for the rotations and perspective correction. The regular SNES has some techniques for fast rotations of sprites in 2D ("Mode 7") but can't do the same thing for points in 3D space like this polygon mesh. And at 3.5 Mhz the processor doesn't have a lot of juice to spare to do the math!

Capcom made their own processor called the CX4 to do this stuff, and it's only used in X2 and X3, nothing else! The upside is that those games can do some cool unique stuff. The downside is that you can't rely on the emulator to have implemented it for other stuff.

Good stuff! Thanks for the lesson!

f@luS

More than a member.
Got 3 of mine (EU) canceled the 4th one I had on amazon.de becauSe it was more expensive. If not wIdly available soon again I’ll sell two of them at no extra cost (weirdly I paid 80euros for one and 95euros for the two other. Amazon and Fnac). Of course I’ll keep the 80one but the two other will be for whoever wants it at no extra

DSP-1: Used for sprite rotation in Mario Kart and Pilotwings [Mario Kart is in SNES classic]
SA1: Used for a bunch of math and drawing stuff in Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and a bunch of other late release games [Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star are in SNES classic]
Super FX: Used for polygons in Star Fox and Yoshi's Island [both in SNES Classic] -- and in addition Star Fox 2 uses an upgraded version of the Super FX chip, so that's also supported
S-DD1: Used to decompress compressed data in a handful of huge late release games like Star Ocean and Street Fighter Alpha 2 [neither in SNES classic]

There are a few other chips used for random minor games and a few Japan-only chips, but those are the main ones for games you would have heard of. So the good thing is that the four most common chips are implemented in the emulator for sure. We're just not sure about CX4 or S-DD1.

Here is the full list of special chips and games that use them.

I’m still holding hope for X2 and X3.

Piccoro

So F-zero doesn't use any special chip? Wow, the more you know!

Talka

HATE that the controllers won’t have a console menu/reset button, and that the cables are only five feet long. How did Nintendo not learn from the NES classic?

Was going to rush to get one of these, but I might as well wait until third-party controllers fix these issues.

jwhit28

HATE that the controllers won’t have a console menu/reset button, and that the cables are only five feet long. How did Nintendo not learn from the NES classic?

Was going to rush to get one of these, but I might as well wait until third-party controllers fix these issues.

Do the Classic Controller Pros from the Wii let you reset from the controller? I'm gonna need an extension cord either way.

Do the Classic Controller Pros from the Wii let you reset from the controller? I'm gonna need an extension cord either way.

I believe the home button on the wii classic controller acted as the reset button on the system. Through homebrew you could also bing down + select to the reset function.

Robin64

Just get an extension cable, way better than a third-party controller.

Blizzard

Banned

At least L R Start Select should do a reset from the controller, unless this is only for certain games or only a game reset.

tesqui

The Walmart order that was scheduled to arrive by Oct 6th just shipped out of no where. It still says it'll arrive by the 6th though. This happen for anyone else?

Blizzard

Banned
The Walmart order that was scheduled to arrive by Oct 6th just shipped out of no where. It still says it'll arrive by the 6th though. This happen for anyone else?
Do you have a tracking number that actually shows in transit? My Target order said shipped, but UPS reports they haven't even received the package yet.

tesqui

Do you have a tracking number that actually shows in transit? My Target order said shipped, but UPS reports they haven't even received the package yet.

It seems just a shipping label was created and info was sent to Fedex. They haven't received package. It could just be that Walmart decided to print labels a head of time? I don't know.

They did much more than that. They handled sprite math as well, specifically for decompression and particle effects. Compare enemy explosions in MMX1 where they mostly just exploded or fell apart in one or two bits and fell in the same static pattern to MMX2 and X3 where most enemies broke into many bits and did so dynamically.

It would have been a horrible move on Capcom's part to increase the cost of the games by $15-20 simply for a couple boss bottles with wireframes. There was a lot more going on under the hood.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lndXV06.png

I'm not going to release it but I sure did.

I just caught this! Cool! Hey, do you think you could do the community a favour? Can you dump the remaining 20 ROMs from the SNES Classic and see if any of them have any changes versus the most recent commercial releases -- I'm sure someone else is going to do this eventually but it'd be cool to know.

It seems just a shipping label was created and info was sent to Fedex. They haven't received package. It could just be that Walmart decided to print labels a head of time? I don't know.

Yeah I checked and this is the same as mine. My order is for Oct 9th however.

Just beat StarFox, in <1 hour.

It's funny to think back about how tough I found the game back in 1996 when I first played it compared to now lol.

I think the game's still quite impressive and clearly the creators wanted to do some grand space opera stuff. I can only hope for a great new Starfox.

I might be in the minority but I quite like the CRT filter, I find it good on my LED TV.

I just caught this! Cool! Hey, do you think you could do the community a favour? Can you dump the remaining 20 ROMs from the SNES Classic and see if any of them have any changes versus the most recent commercial releases -- I'm sure someone else is going to do this eventually but it'd be cool to know.

Yeah would be interesting to know if the Yoshi's Island background thing is a result of incomplete emulation or an epilepsy prevention measure.

Chesskid1

Banned
just got my target shipping, i was one of those slow guys that had to f5 for a bit and hope it showed in stock

they shipped fedex, so fancy.

Imagine if you could put that ROM on an EEPROM or something then solder it to a SuperFX2-based cart like Yoshi's Island. Would love to see it running on actual SNES hardware.
It’d probably have to be a stunt race FX cart, just like the repros that already exist with the non-final ROM.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah would be interesting to know if the YI background thing is a result of incomplete emulation or an epilepsy prevention measure.

To me the effect as implemented on the Classic seems to be worse from a photosensitivity issue -- it causes an overt and contrasting flash with what amounts to garbage data. So I think Parish might be incorrect, or at least if he's correct that Nintendo didn't do it right. I'm used to decreased gamma to lower the contrast of flashing to avoid photosensitive epilepsy.

But it's also a question of whether even if it is an intentional change, whether it's made in the rom or in the emulator.

Continuation from my other post, was going to do an edit but the thread went too fast :)

In fact, let's go over the rest of the list too.

DSP series (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4) were mostly compatible with each other, they added hardware multiplication and division capability. Mostly used for scaling, but also for handling positioning work. That is, handling complex math for determining relative position between multiple moving objects in a psuedo 3D space.

SA-1 was like a miniaturized SNES on Steroids. The processor was clocked at 3x the SNES and contained additional ram and V-ram. It's why it could handle very large sprites and effects.

SuperFX was used for 3D math. Despite the naming, there was no 'real' SuperFX2. There was the SuperFX Mario (first gen used in the first few FX games) that was clocked at 10.5mhz, then there was the regular SuperFX chip clocked at 21mhz. It's why you can play Star Fox 2 reproduction carts using any other FX chip game.

S-DD1 was indeed used for compression, but it also had scaling capabilities as well.

There are also a few other chips out there, but they were only used in a small handful of Japanese titles. Usually just adding a real time clock or other minor sprite features.

JackDT

I wonder if they have the source code for Star Fox 2. Since the release is emulated anyway, let's crank up the imaginary SuperFX2 chip 100x and get 60 FPS Star Fox. (Not just run it faster but adjust the code so the gameplay stays the same at 60)

I wonder if they have the source code for Star Fox 2. Since the release is emulated anyway, let's crank up the imaginary SuperFX2 chip 100x and get 60 FPS Star Fox. (Not just run it faster but adjust the code so the gameplay stays the same at 60)

Probably not. It sounds like they had the final build sitting in a vault, but it was never implied by Nintendo or Cuthbert that the original source is sitting around anywhere.

But who knows, before Ocarina of Time 3D released, I wouldn't have believed you if you told me the original OoT source was still around.

I was honestly hoping that the snes mini emulation would overclock the FX chips so they were a more solid rate, but that was expecting too much.

i'd be happy if starfox kept it's 20fps cap but they removed the slowdown completely via emulation overclocking.

I was honestly hoping that the snes mini emulation would overclock the FX chips so they were a more solid rate, but that was expecting too much.

i'd be happy if starfox kept it's 20fps cap but they removed the slowdown completely via emulation overclocking.

I don't really dig into this stuff much; if you had a pc emulator could you have 60fps star fox? That sounds like fun.

Top Bottom