• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

JP

I'm buying a friend's 4K TV this weekend for our bedroom, it's a 50" Bravia XE70 / X720E and he's only asking for £200. I know it's not the greatest 4K out there but for the asking price, it'd be silly to say no.

I'm just wondering how the SNES/NES Mini Classic display on a 4K screen? How do you think it compares to a 1080p TV? I know the quality of the actual TV has a great deal to do with the output quality but I'm just wondering what people feel about using these things on a 4K TV?

I don't really dig into this stuff much; if you had a pc emulator could you have 60fps star fox? That sounds like fun.

It doesn’t quite work like that. Gameplay/logic timing is bound to frame rate. Therefore if you boost the game to 60fps, the gameplay’s speed is 6x faster, making it unplayable. The game would have to be completely re-engineered to achieve what you’re looking for, and I doubt Nintendo is into digging up 20+ year old source code, devkits, compilers and masterful ASM programmers.

JJBro One

Won't be able to pick it up day 1 but Best Buy says they hold in store pick up items for 5 days. A little nervous trusting them to hold it for that long as hot as the thing is. I shouldn't have anything to be worried about right?

I don't really dig into this stuff much; if you had a pc emulator could you have 60fps star fox? That sounds like fun.

Back when these games were coded they were tied to the hertz rate of the cpu's so increasing them makes the game itself play in fast forward. It's possible to fix this but in this case it would most likely require source code modification and recompiling.

Neonep

I thought my amazon uk order would have been cancelled by now and it hasn't. I didn't think it would still be there so I preordered at Bestbuy. If this amazon order goes through, I guess I'm gonna have to let one of them go.

I'm buying a friend's 4K TV this weekend for our bedroom, it's a 50" Bravia XE70 / X720E and he's only asking for £200. I know it's not the greatest 4K out there but for the asking price, it'd be silly to say no.

I'm just wondering how the SNES/NES Mini Classic display on a 4K screen? How do you think it compares to a 1080p TV? I know the quality of the actual TV has a great deal to do with the output quality but I'm just wondering what people feel about using these things on a 4K TV?

It would look better on a 4k screen than a 1080 screen because 720p scales exactly to 4k (x9), but not to 1080p.

Talka

Do the Classic Controller Pros from the Wii let you reset from the controller? I'm gonna need an extension cord either way.

Just get an extension cable, way better than a third-party controller.

At least L R Start Select should do a reset from the controller, unless this is only for certain games or only a game reset.

But what if I want to switch games? Or save/load from a save state? Or use the new rewind functionality? Will I need to get up and hit a button on the console?

If so, that sucks.

I wonder how the input lag is. Any reviews?

I'm going with this:
71a7ni346PL._AC_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0748S1VDC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Plus this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MQWUT0Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
L R Start Select doesn't do anything guys.

We're doomed to get up and press RESET.

This 'L R Start Select' story is spreading way too much. Apparently every gaming journalist out there never read a single game manual growing up, otherwise they'd know this is a command some games had and it has nothing to do with the hardware.

JP

It would look better on a 4k screen than a 1080 screen because 720p scales exactly to 4k (x9), but not to 1080p.
Thanks, that was what I was hoping. It's always best to keep the image as clean as possible for me so the fact that it;s a whole number multiplication from 720p to 4K should keep things as tidy as possible.

The reports on the poor sound is disappointing. I wonder how it compares to say snes9x. Glad mine is on its way but I think my Pi will stay connected to the TV over this. Bought it as an ornament really.

This 'L R Start Select' story is spreading way too much. Apparently every gaming journalist out there never read a single game manual growing up, otherwise they'd know this is a command some games had and it has nothing to do with the hardware.
I never had a SNES but I remember that command worked in many PS1 and PS2 games.

jwhit28

I want to do a SNES Classic challenge where I have to beat every game in release order but thinking about Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts has me shook.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I want to do a SNES Classic challenge where I have to beat every game in release order but thinking about Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts has me shook.

I don't even know which game I'm going to play first lol

Maybe a 100% Fun Pak Super Star run since I know that game pretty much back to front.

iKhameleon

Neo Member
Best Buy shipped mine! Apparently they shipped yesterday but the status hadn't changed from "preparing" to "shipped" until just now. Scheduled for delivery Friday :) The one I ordered from Walmart (for gifting) is still "preparing" though.

Carlisle

Hooo man, so my Walmart order still says Oct 6 delivery, but it's already shipped and while the tracking details havent populated yet, the map shows it shipping from NYC, which is an hour away. Expedited shipping too. No way it takes 9 days to arrive. Wonder if it might actually hit by release day.

Oh man the hype is a-bubblin'

Malice215

The reports on the poor sound is disappointing. I wonder how it compares to say snes9x. Glad mine is on its way but I think my Pi will stay connected to the TV over this. Bought it as an ornament really.

I don't know how it compares to SNES9X, but you can tell the difference compared to original hardware.

ASaiyan

Banned
Walmart just changed my online order to 'shipped', so no going back now. Still way safer than trying to find one on release day though, lol.

madmonkey has got the NAND dump working on a NES Mini. I would say we're less than a day away from them figuring out how to do stuff with ROMs.

Fuck.

I missed out on this with the NES Mini.

Time to actually try for the SNES.

If I can get my SNES games in this portable package, we're cooking.

Kintaco

I'm thinking the same thing.
I'm really backwards with Best Buy orders. With the Mario+Rabbids price mistake I had it shipped thinking they wouldn't honor it if I did store pick up. But while I waited for my order I kept seeing pics of people with store pickup orders. I do remember previously hearing about early shipments from Best Buy though so I messed up on the SNES Classic.

Top Bottom