• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, I Read On Beyond3d That Josh Robinson Just Got Fired........

puebla

BlueTsunami said:
1) He mainly just worked with the Art direction (not an actual developer) and wasn't involved with anything technical (he even states that hes not that technical :lol in that blog)
u make it sound like he's some peon & really i don't know but here's his resume:

PROFILE:

I am a 27 year old 3D artist with 9 years of professional experience. I have been very busy this last year trying to make a name for myself within the industry. I am even wrapping up the last few chapters of an "Essentials" book for a major 3D application that will be announced in the very near future. After the book is complete I will be releasing a series of instructional DVD’s through the same publishing company.

As busy as I am on the side with my teaching and writing I have never stopped working. I have done high and low polygon production work. I've developed for the PC, Portable Play Station (PSP), Playstation 2 and the soon to be released Playstation 3. I have never focused on one aspect of the industry. As a result, I feel I am extremely rounded and very comfortable creating anything that is required of me.

TECHNICAL SKILLS:

3D Studio Max
Silo
Maya
Photoshop
Multiple Proprietary Software Packages that go hand and hand with my work at Sony.

EXPERIENCE:

SONY ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT

My responsibilities at Sony vary from month to month. I can be creating organic character models one day and then texture painting, creating special effects or lighting a scene the next day. I have a wide range of talents and I have had my hand in almost every aspect of production. My productivity is high and as a result I tend to get moved to teams that need help. This has allowed me to spend a lot of time on multiple projects within the company.

Playstation3 Engine Demo: (High quality cinematic to be viewed in HD at Electronics Convention for SONY).

PSP: Untold Legends (Created 4 levels in an 8 week period to help team make their projected ship date.)

PSP: Untold Legends 2: (Character Models from Concept).

PSP: Title to be announced (Lead Character Modeler/terrain generation and texturing)

PC: Everquest 2 (Character Development Team)

PC: War Game (Lead Character Modeler)

PC: Planetside (lighting, character creation, Weapon creation, environment modeling, texturing, FX)

NUFX (contract company creating games for EA Sports)

March Madness 2002: (my responsibilities were increased for this product to include character work as well as the work I did on the previous title. I relocated for my position at SONY however before I could complete the bulk of production).

March Madness 2001: (I was responsible for creating all the stadiums, environments and background characters from start to finish)

NBA Street: (environment modeling)

ENVISION DIGITAL IMAGING

I was responsible for creating photo-realistic renders and cinematic fly throughs for architecture companies. I worked on a very small team, which allowed my skills to flourish. I was modeling, creating special fx (when needed) texturing, animating, video editing, composting, managing tens of thousands of frames, foley art, video editing and sound editing all the way up to the finished product.

EDUCATION

I originally enrolled to get a Bachelors degree from the Illinois Institute of Art. However I was working professionally before I had even finished up my Associates deg. I decided to finish out my associates degree and continue working within the industry. I never looked back. I graduated in 1998 with an associate's degree in Computer Animation from the Illinois Institute of Art.

Izzy

Banned
Unison said:
It's tough to see why he'd lie about this... lots of people have complained that there won't be a huge leap next generation. Even Carmack has said PS3 / 360 are really close in terms of performance.

I believe this news.

Here's what Carmack said in his latest interview (re: PS3/X360):

John Carmack said:
The PS3 will have a bit more peak power, but it will be easier to exploit the available power on the 360

Link

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
John Carmack said:
The PS3 will have a bit more peak power, but it will be easier to exploit the available power on the 360

WHO WILL YOU BLIEVE GAF...WHO WILL YOU BLIEVE?!?!!??

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Originally Posted by John Carmack:

here's the anti-Izzy!

also that resume looks fine by me! Looks like it's sony who are looking for an "average modeler" then (seeing as it's them that is now lacking one!) ! :D

byproduct

The Amiga Brotherhood
Why is everyone focusing so much on the ethics of saying what he said, focus on WHAT he said:

1) PS3 is behind schedule - PS3 release will be bewteen May and December this year;

2) Launch games will be underwhelming, being developed on PC and ported over when final dev hardware is available (I didn't know it worked this way anyway);

3) Behind closed doors Sony employees think X360 will be more powerful.

Being fired for saying these doesn't exactly confirm them but he did seem to be in a position to know (worked for Sony for ages, worked on demos for the system's E3 showing, working on a launch game) and having worked on all the Sony platforms and PC (doesn't mention he worked on any other platform his whole career) there doesn't seem to be a reason for him to make things up.

This is the most interesting PS3 news for ages.

Unison

I guess the way that I see it, if he was really trying to fuck over Sony, he could have said a lot more than he did, and he could have been a lot more damning. I mean if what he says isn't true at all, we'll all see actual PS3 games and not care at all. The post that I read doesn't sound that damning, really. I don't get the vibe that he's trying to take the PS3 down with him. He doesn't name the project he was working on, doesn't really name much at all with specifics. That suggests, to me, that he probably had no idea he was violating the NDA in the first place.

Unison

Izzy said:
Here's what Carmack said in his latest interview (re: PS3/X360):

Link

I know exactly what Carmack said... if you read that as him suggesting either system has a major performance advantage, you're a fanboy.

I think the more shrill of the Sony GAFFERS are still holed up in their caucus formulating a plan on how to combat the evidently true news that Josh Robinson let out and how to damage control said news.

Izzy

Banned
Unison said:
I guess the way that I see it, if he was really trying to fuck over Sony, he could have said a lot more than he did, and he could have been a lot more damning. I mean if what he says isn't true at all, we'll all see actual PS3 games and not care at all. The post that I read doesn't sound that damning, really. I don't get the vibe that he's trying to take the PS3 with him. He doesn't name the project he was working on, doesn't really name much at all with specifics. That suggests, to me, that he probably had no idea he was violating the NDA in the first place.

Like bollocks he didn't. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Gattsu25

Banned
Unison said:
I know exactly what Carmack said... if you read that as him suggesting either system has a major performance advantage, you're a fanboy.
let me try:

360 will look better early on
PS3 will look better down the road

last line (at least) was pretty much just paraphrasing

BlueTsunami

Mr_Furious said:
Does anyone still actually believe that out of the 5000 PS3 dev kits Sony shipped out, only 5 made to the U.S.?

:lol

I totally forgot about that quote

Yep, he states that only 5 Dev kits have hit the US shores

(But didn't DCharlie alude to weird Dev Kit dispersion?)

DCharlie

"Like bollocks he didn't. Good riddance to bad rubbish."

Darth%20Vader.jpg

...... ?

for slower people : ["you are part of the Xbot alliance and a traitor"]

Unison

Wakune said:
let me try:

360 will look better early on
PS3 will look better down the road

last line (at least) was pretty much just paraphrasing

That could be it, or it could be a situation similar to the Saturn where only talented developers could wring awesome performance out of it... I dunno...

It's obviously a wait and see situation, and I trust Carmack way more than I trust this dope who got himself fired, but I think the suggestion that he tried to destroy Sony with such an innocuous post is absurd, and as a result, I'm inclined to believe that his grumblings reflect the experience that they're having with the dev. kits (which aren't the finished system, mind you...).

I think some of you people need to stop trying to read too much into what some disgruntled, moron for an artist said in some blog. Even if everything he said was false, he'd still get fired by Sony. You just don't go about making even your own personal opinion public like that, especially if it sheds even a slightly negative (and possibly illinformed) light on your employer and it's (future) products.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Unison said:
I guess the way that I see it, if he was really trying to fuck over Sony, he could have said a lot more than he did, and he could have been a lot more damning. I mean if what he says isn't true at all, we'll all see actual PS3 games and not care at all. The post that I read doesn't sound that damning, really. I don't get the vibe that he's trying to take the PS3 down with him. He doesn't name the project he was working on, doesn't really name much at all with specifics. That suggests, to me, that he probably had no idea he was violating the NDA in the first place.

Like I said, I think all the speculation is off-base. My hunch would be that he's just fucking dumb :)

Mr_Furious said:
I think some of you people need to stop trying to read too much into what some disgruntled, moron for an artist said in some blog. Even if everything he said was false, he'd still get fired by Sony. You just don't go about making even your own personal opinion public like that, especially if it sheds even a slightly negative (and possibly illinformed) light on your employer and it's (future) products.

It's begun.

baghdad_bob_a10a.jpg

Mr_Furious said:

Most have been fairly levelheaded. No one is reading too much into anything.

DCharlie

Like I said, I think all the speculation is off-base. My hunch would be that he's just fucking dumb

then why put a load of false info about your employer on your blog? You'd have to be PRETTY f*cking dumb to do that.

Ponn

Banned
Mr_Furious said:

Completely agree with this post. Shit, theres been a couple different places I worked for that specifically included in the hire paperwork contracts to sign not posting as a representitve of the company on the internet, website, to media or anywhere. They could fire me for it, and this is no different. Seriously, you have to be a complete dumbass to think you could post negative stuff about the company you work for on major websites without reprecussions. Especially a company as high profile as Sony, and on one of their upcoming high profile launches.

The only thing I can think is having had that long of a history with them he was either high, or had some agenda that only he knows for sure. On top of that I couldn't think somebody in his career wouldn't first think how this will effect him getting a job other places. I'm going with the drugs theory.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
He was under NDA about the PS3
He made less than positve comments about the PS3
He was fired for breaking that NDA

The idea that he would make up false info and then use that to get fired is pretty remote. Chances are he was telling the truth as he understood it.

DCharlie said:
then why put a load of false info about your employer on your blog? You'd have to be PRETTY f*cking dumb to do that.

I don't think its going out on too much of a limb to question an article that suggests Sony only sent out 5 devs kits to the US.

Jonnyram

Mr_Furious said:
some disgruntled, moron for an artist
Yet you would have probably heralded him as the new messiah if he turned out to be the artist on your favourite PS3 launch game. How fickle fanboys are. Of course, none of what he said can be true at all, since Sony is awesome and all-conquering.

puebla

Ponn01 said:
Seriously, you have to be a complete dumbass to think you could post negative stuff about the company you work for on major websites without reprecussions. Especially a company as high profile as Sony, and on one of their upcoming high profile launches.
i'm not sure but i think he posted this on his blog......... somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

i think u might be wrong about him posting this on major websites.

golem

SolidSnakex said:
I don't think its going out on too much of a limb to question an article that suggests Sony only sent out 5 devs kits to the US.
from the article it sounds like he was referring to the initial shipment of first gen kits.

Jonnyram said:
Yet you would have probably heralded him as the new messiah if he turned out to be the artist on your favourite PS3 launch game.

Unless he's worked on Warhawk, I doubt that's happening. :p

SolidSnakex said:

Seems we've encountered the first line of SonyGAFFER defense: question authors credibility and character.

What's next?

The funny thing here is, if he said the PS3 was great and it's easy to pump out CG like graphics, all the Sony fanboys would be all over his joke. And I bet he would still have his job.

DCharlie

"I don't think its going out on too much of a limb to question an article that suggests Sony only sent out 5 devs kits to the US."
five FINAL dev kits.
We know Guerilla got theirs (1? 2?) recently...

that 5000 figure (i thought it was 4000 yesterday) as far as i know is TOTAL dev kits in any form, not finals reference tools only.

Do sony even have the capacity to create 5000 final kits with Cell not in mass production yet and RSX still (reportedly) not nailed down? can anyone anwer? Or is the GPU in the reference still not the RSX?

DCharlie said:
five FINAL dev kits.
We know Guerilla got theirs (1? 2?) recently...

that 5000 figure (i thought it was 4000 yesterday) as far as i know is TOTAL dev kits in any form, not finals reference tools only.
?

This isn't about final dev kits, the article is really old according to the guy. He's talking about initial kits and saying Sony only sent out 5 of them. This was posted in another thread and supposedly came from him

well thats a very very old article. that was info all made available at e3 2005. which was quite a while ago. the ship dates are all in theory right now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
byproduct said:
Why is everyone focusing so much on the ethics of saying what he said, focus on WHAT he said:
Ooh, I know the answer to this one! *clears throat* Because the ethics of whether he should have said what he said then calls into question his general ethics, which undermines the credibility of what he has to say.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm going to take this opprotunity to ask what the hell is going on in SolidSnakex's avatar

Spike

Izzy said:
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Why? Because he painted a less rosy picture that what many fanboys have deluded themselves into thinking about the power of the PS3 being "orders of magnitude" more powerful than the Xbox 360? :lol

I mean, I understand how you guys feel, what with the DS making the PSP it's bitch in sales and then this. Now you know how Nintendo fans felt...

DCharlie

"This isn't about final dev kits, the article is really old according to the guy. He's talking about initial kits and saying Sony only sent out 5 of them. This was posted in another thread and supposedly came from him"

ah, so.... thanks for the clarification. But this raises another question : why is he being fired NOW for OLD NEWS?

Matlock

Banned
Izzy said:
Nay - he was complaining about the COMPLETE LACK of final PS3 dev kits. 'PS3? Where is it?'

SolidSnakex said:
This isn't about final dev kits, the article is really old according to the guy. He's talking about initial kits and saying Sony only sent out 5 of them. This was posted in another thread and supposedly came from him

"We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit."

BlueTsunami

Supposedley this info (coming from him) has been out since before the 360 release....anyone know about this?

Spike said:
Why? Because he painted a less rosy picture that what many fanboys have deluded themselves into thinking about the power of the PS3 being "orders of magnitude" more powerful than the Xbox 360? :lol

I mean, I understand, what with the DS making the PSP it's bitch in sales and then this. Now you know how Nintendo fans felt...

I think Izzy was talking about him being scum for breaking an NDA so publically.

Top Bottom