• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Picard Season 3 |OT| The Next Generation's Fifth Movie

Pilgrimzero

I’m fine with it as long as the reasons she did it are brought up and dealt with.

Agree with everyone else that the Raffi stuff is garbage. Awful character. Should have got Michelle Forbes back as Ro, or any other character suitable from back in the day.

Bev: "He was your best friend, Jean Luc. I thought it would be a huge honor to name him after my late husband and your best friend"
Picard: "Oh yeah, makes sense... okay cool I guess. Not like we can change it now anyways."
Wes: "I'm fine with it, too."
Bev and Picard: "Shut up, Wesley!"

Star Trek Facepalm GIF

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Raise shields! They say just before the impact of the ship, as if they wouldnt have raised shields going into a combat situation?
Well they wasn't going into combat.
As for why they didn't raise Shield regardless is because any ship with raised shields is considered hostile.
You've watched Star Trek before?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Not really that into episode 2. I need people to do stuff. Word chopping heads was a cool scene.

Still some dumb stuff I like the titan captain.

xandaca

Well they wasn't going into combat.
As for why they didn't raise Shield regardless is because any ship with raised shields is considered hostile.
You've watched Star Trek before?
Having rewatched the episode, before Vadic flings the ship, she directly threatens to destroy the Titan ("Turn your back to run and the only way you'll see the shot that kills you is through the hole in your proverbial chest"). Somehow I don't think raising shields is going to raise hostilities any, and that's before taking the basic precaution to stop Vadic transporting Crusher off the bridge herself.

Also, a jaw-droppingly stupid line I forgot to mention in my previous comments: "Good afternoon. I believe it is afternoon in Sol system."

HOW DOES VADIC NOT KNOW THAT IT CAN'T BE AFTERNOON IN SPACE, LET ALONE A STAR SYSTEM OR EVEN A SINGLE ENTIRE PLANET.

Having rewatched the episode, before Vadic flings the ship, she directly threatens to destroy the Titan ("Turn your back to run and the only way you'll see the shot that kills you is through the hole in your proverbial chest"). Somehow I don't think raising shields is going to raise hostilities any, and that's before taking the basic precaution to stop Vadic transporting Crusher off the bridge herself.

Also, a jaw-droppingly stupid line I forgot to mention in my previous comments: "Good afternoon. I believe it is afternoon in Sol system."

HOW DOES VADIC NOT KNOW THAT IT CAN'T BE AFTERNOON IN SPACE, LET ALONE A STAR SYSTEM OR EVEN A SINGLE ENTIRE PLANET.
Uhh it's always afternoon in Sol System, just like how it's always night time on Seedy Raffy Drug Planet. I GUESS YOU JUST NEVER WATCHED STAR TREK

Captiosus

After watching episode 2, I'm still skeptical. I don't understand the excitement of Cullen, Critical Drunker & co. on this season, unless it really takes off from episode 3.

Same. I didn't even finish season 2, only came back for season 3 because of a lot of positive reviews from the aforementioned folks who had previously been critical of the prior seasons. Two episodes in and I'm almost ready to check out again. Zero consistency in the plot design.

Episode 1: Guess we have to use our positions to try to trick the captain into doing our bidding. Oh no, he won't do it! Guess we can't do anything.
Episode 2: "Belay that, Admiral's orders!"

Ooooooooooookay. In five seconds, they destroyed half of the prior episode's plot. Either Picard could have just ordered the Shaw to do what he wanted or Picard had no authority to do what he did in Episode 2. Either is shit level writing. A team that gave a damn would have picked out the obvious continuity/plot errors during a table read. But alas, it's clear they don't give a shit and this is Memberberries: The Season.

Can't stand that we still have to deal with Raffi, and, once again, her sequences remind me less of Star Trek and more of Star Wars or Mass Effect. M'Talas Prime might as well be Nar Shaddaa or Omega. And still with the goddamn pump action phaser rifles, WTF.

Kenpachii

Second episode just as shit as the first.

Captain shits all over picard and riker because they basically have no power as they are retired episode 1, suddenly picard has power and the captain gives him the full control of the ship ???????????????

Raffi just skipped her shit, can't stand it.

Warp straight into the ship tractor beam with utter precision, can't warp straight back to federation space to call up backup after getting picard and co out of the situation or just straight up go back to base. ????????????

Picard son has the name of her dead husband ?????????

Bounty hunter has 10x stronger weapons systems and is bigger then a starship with 500 people. Like how much people does that bounty hunter have on her ship 5000? her cockpit she sits in had like no people in it. How can a bounty hunter have a more efficient ship then a starship.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
Raffi should have been Wesley. I would have loved to see Wesley as a burnt out child prodigy drug abuser.

Wesley wasn't Starfleet... He was with The Traveler... He actually has a higher purpose connected to TOS (final episode of Picard season 2)

Oberstein

As mentioned in my earlier reply to ManaByte, Shaw's predicament is a nearly perfect mirror of the Kobayashi Maru: leave Federation space to rescue a friendly vessel in danger, with a very high chance of engaging a powerful enemy. While the Kobayashi Maru is more of a philosophical exercise, doing your best in a no-win situation, it's nevertheless part of the program that the captain has to go to the vessel's rescue to initiate the test, meaning taking that risk is what they're trained to do. I don't buy that any Starfleet captain would be happy to sit back and watch another Federation vessel get destroyed, even with only a small complement, and it certainly shouldn't be an appeal to ego which makes the decision for him. There are many situations where a captain has sacrificed their vessel for a greater good - Rachel Garrett referenced in the last episode for one. The Federation's respect for life means I doubt there'd be many on any given crew who wouldn't be ready to sacrifice themselves to try and save others (Vulcans might have a debate first, though).

I understand your point of view, but again, even if it refers to the Kobayashi Maru, Shaw is not wrong.

If we take the example of Deanna taking the Bridge's officer test in the TNG episode "Thine Own Self", she consistently fails it. Finally, she passes it because she sends Laforge to his certain death to save the crew. The idea of saving a crew at the expense of a life (or two in this case) is valid and obviously a test you take in Starfleet to rise in the hierarchy.

I say that because for the rest, I agree with everything that has been said (Seven coming back as a first officer after being turned away or retired Admiral Picard taking command of the Titan, etc.), it's all bad, we agree.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

The bridge crew doesn't respect Shaw. They'll do what he says because of chain of command but he doesn't have their respect and CERTAINLY not their loyalty. A ship's captain (since Pike and Kirk) should foster loyalty in his or her crew by being the kind of leader you WANT to follow. The crew of The Titan respects and shows loyalty to 7 because she has those leadership qualities. She isn't a stickler for rules when they put the lives of others at risk.

"Risk is part of the job if you want to sit in that chair"... Something Shaw doesn't want to do. Every Trek Captain worth their salt has taken risks to do the right thing... Not the rule book thing.

I feel like many of y'all have forgotten that. Among other things.

xandaca

If we take the example of Deanna taking the Bridge's officer test in the TNG episode "Thine Own Self", she consistently fails it. Finally, she passes it because she sends Laforge to his certain death to save the crew. The idea of saving a crew at the expense of a life (or two in this case) is valid and obviously a test you take in Starfleet to rise in the hierarchy.

It depends how you interpret this. From my perspective, it supports why Shaw is wrong. He is unwilling to risk the ultimate sacrifice to save others from certain death. Unlike Deanna, he doesn't even try and come up with alternatives until Seven piques his ego. Starfleet expects its crews to be willing to go to their deaths to save others, as (hologram) Geordi did, and its officers able to give those orders. For me, that's what Deanna's test is evaluating: can she make that call. To paraphrase Jean-Luc, I don't think it's a matter of arithmetic (Geordi = one; crew = many). When the situation presented itself, Shaw was willing (again, until Seven's hero bit) to let others go to a their deaths rather than risk his crew. That's a fail for me.

(I suppose if we're being hyper-pedantic we could argue that Deanna also only makes her decision because Riker piques her ego by telling her beforehand she isn't officer material. I don't think she's ever been held up as an exemplar of big chair potential, however...)

Last edited:

Oberstein

It depends how you interpret this. From my perspective, it supports why Shaw is wrong. He is unwilling to risk the ultimate sacrifice to save others from certain death. Unlike Deanna, he doesn't even try and come up with alternatives until Seven piques his ego. Starfleet expects its crews to be willing to go to their deaths to save others, as (hologram) Geordi did, and its officers able to give those orders. For me, that's what Deanna's test is evaluating: can she make that call. To paraphrase Jean-Luc, I don't think it's a matter of arithmetic (Geordi = one; crew = many). When the situation presented itself, Shaw was willing (again, until Seven's hero bit) to let others go to a their deaths rather than risk his crew. That's a fail for me.

(I suppose if we're being hyper-pedantic we could argue that Deanna also only makes her decision because Riker piques her ego by telling her beforehand she isn't officer material. I don't think she's ever been held up as an exemplar of big chair potential, however...)

I think that the arithmetic question is not insignificant: it's mostly about saving a "majority" from a small minority. The opposite extreme of what Star Trek has become, in fact.

The strong individualism shown in Discovery and NuTrek show the opposite of what Star Trek has been. The group is the most important and emotion must remain in the background in front of logic and reason. And as Spock would say to Kirk: "Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh... The needs of the few."

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Second episode just as shit as the first.

Captain shits all over picard and riker because they basically have no power as they are retired episode 1, suddenly picard has power and the captain gives him the full control of the ship ???????????????

The point here is that Picard only really becomes Picard again when he realises Crusher is his kid. Up to then, he’s still the pointless doddery old twat from seasons one and two. The change in his demeanour probably shocks Shaw and the rest of the bridge crew into following his orders. When one of the greatest Admirals in Starfleet history suddenly shows up on the bridge and starts throwing orders around in that tone of voice, you’d do what you were told to do as well.

It doesn’t make a huge amount of sense chain of command wise, but as a character moment it was very good, and I see why they did it like that.

It was literally Shaw dealing with Picard from season one and two to start with, before Picard from TNG turned up.

Does that mean you still won't give it a chance because someone who hated the first 2 seasons likes this final one?
I never seen the first or second season so I can't say until I watch those first. I'm just saying that Critical Drinker like last season so it might be actually good because I tend to agree with a lot of his opinions.

DeafTourette

I never seen the first or second season so I can't say until I watch those first. I'm just saying that Critical Drinker like last season so it might be actually good because I tend to agree with a lot of his opinions.
Oh ok. I have actually liked all 3 so far... This feeling like the best one! I say start on this season and then circle back to the previous ones after this season concludes.

xandaca

I think that the arithmetic question is not insignificant: it's mostly about saving a "majority" from a small minority. The opposite extreme of what Star Trek has become, in fact.

The strong individualism shown in Discovery and NuTrek show the opposite of what Star Trek has been. The group is the most important and emotion must remain in the background in front of logic and reason. And as Spock would say to Kirk: "Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh... The needs of the few."

There we will have to completely differ because it is fundamentally antithetical to my view of the Federation and Starfleet that they would ever allow anyone to die based on a calculation. I can't even imagine the Vulcans being that cold when it came down to deciding whether to attempt a rescue (though there'd certainly be more debate than on a human-led crew). The only reason I can imagine that a Starfleet vessel would not attempt to save lives would be in the case of Prime Directive concerns or if it meant interfering in a planet's internal disputes, as in Redemption (TNG). To me Spock's sacrifice is completely about selflessness: 'the needs of the many...' has never literally struck me as a doctrine of arithmetic but a principle that any one person or group (such as a crew) should be ready to give themselves up for the greater good. While my guess is that your interpretation would lead Shaw to basically be in the right because going to Picard and co.'s rescue could plausibly lead to the deaths of the entire Titan crew rather than just a handful of individuals, to me it means that every individual on that crew, and the crew itself, is willing to risk that sacrifice for the greater principles of helping others in need where you can. I can't think of anything less Starfleet to me than a captain going: "The warp core of that ten-man vessel is about to explode, killing all aboard! My ship has a complement of one hundred though and the blast could destroy us if we're still within transporter range when it detonates... nah, I think I'll leave it."

Oberstein

There we will have to completely differ because it is fundamentally antithetical to my view of the Federation and Starfleet that they would ever allow anyone to die based on a calculation

I understand, I prefer to leave it at that. It would be interesting to see Shaw's evolution in any case.

Anyway, there are some fun videos from a Youtuber who points out all the little nitpicks. Worth a look:

One thing I didn't notice the first time: the big evil Khan lady on the other ship says "Jean-Luc Picard, in the synthetic flesh"

I'm surprised they brought that up again and acknowledged the whole android-body thing, instead of quietly burying it. They did the same thing right near the beginning of Season 2, with a single throwaway line to remind us he's no longer normal flesh and blood.

The right way to handle this, after they realized the disaster of Season 1? They had a perfect opportunity with Q. When he showed up, he noticed Picard's aged appearance and snapped his fingers to look more like his stage in life. But he should have followed that up with: "wait, something's still a bit off about you... [snap fingers, Picard is made flesh again] there, much better. Now, where was I?"

DeafTourette

One thing I didn't notice the first time: the big evil Khan lady on the other ship says "Jean-Luc Picard, in the synthetic flesh"

I'm surprised they brought that up again and acknowledged the whole android-body thing, instead of quietly burying it. They did the same thing right near the beginning of Season 2, with a single throwaway line to remind us he's no longer normal flesh and blood.

The right way to handle this, after they realized the disaster of Season 1? They had a perfect opportunity with Q. When he showed up, he noticed Picard's aged appearance and snapped his fingers to look more like his stage in life. But he should have followed that up with: "wait, something's still a bit off about you... [snap fingers, Picard is made flesh again] there, much better. Now, where was I?"

It wasn't just a single throwaway line in season 2... The heart defibrillator too

It wasn't just a single throwaway line in season 2... The heart defibrillator too
oof I'd blocked that terrible scene out of memory

But from the first episode of the season until that moment, there was only a single line which suggested Picard being different in any way. Which is bizarre, given how life altering it surely must be to have your consciousness moved to a new body (if we even accept the idea that it is the same consciousness, which I dont... so I have to ignore this whole story or else Picard is simply dead and some weird facsimile is walking around).

After watching episode 2, I'm still skeptical. I don't understand the excitement of Cullen, Critical Drunker & co. on this season, unless it really takes off from episode 3.

Even if it respects a bit better in terms of writing already established characters, there is still this Nutrek aspect that bothers me. Nothing really exciting on the horizon. The plot around Raffi is uninteresting as the character and it still lacks depth for me to care about Jack Crusher at this point.

Shaw removing Seven from her position and then bringing her back as 1st officer without any explanation is a bit too quick. Worf replacing Elnor as a ninja, I don't see the point either. Shouldn't he have become a pacifist or something according to the leaks? Anyway, I don't hate this episode, Riker is still at the top and even the villain seems too much of a caricature to be just that (very good laugh at the end of the episode though).

It's just OK for now.

To be honest, that's Picard's opinion, not necessarily Starfleet's regulations on this. So Shaw is right for the most part.
I haven’t watched any of this, but honestly, why the hell would you listen to a moron like critical drinker? The man is an idiot.

Care to say why?
Because he's a shit reviewer who doesn't know shit about film and panders to his audience. He strings together a bunch of negatives into a meaningless cynical soup like he's really into Zero Punctuation circa mid-2000s.
How about when he said he loved Japanese movies, and then couldn't name a single one?

Old movies vs. new movies, but he doesn't understand anything about movies, period.
He just spins up bad takes and rants.
He has a very limited range of interest, very little knowledge of films outside of that range, and very little in-depth critical and technical knowledge. Has he seen anything pre-1980s popcorn classics?
Also, he hated Midsommar, so fuck that guy.

Last edited:
Because he's a shit reviewer who doesn't know shit about film and panders to his audience. He strings together a bunch of negatives into a meaningless cynical soup like he's really into Zero Punctuation circa mid-2000s.
How about when he said he loved Japanese movies, and then couldn't name a single one?

Old movies vs. new movies, but he doesn't understand anything about movies, period.
He just spins up bad takes and rants.
He has a very limited range of interest, very little knowledge of films outside of that range, and very little in-depth critical and technical knowledge. Has he seen anything pre-1980s popcorn classics?
Also, he hated Midsommar, so fuck that guy.

First, Midsommar was not good.

Second, does that invalidate his western movie reviews, which is what he does? I don’t think so. Maybe if you’re looking for an asian arthouse movie, don’t go to his channel for reviews (there won’t be any anyway) but his blockbuster movie reviews are very good. I find myself agreeing with his reviews for the movies that I have seen.

Also, question for you - do you happen to like Rings of Power?

Last edited:
First, Midsommar was not good.

Second, does that invalidate his western movie reviews, which is what he does? I don’t think so. Maybe if you’re looking for an asian arthouse movie, don’t go to his channel for reviews (there won’t be any anyway) but his blockbuster movie reviews are very good. I find myself agreeing with his reviews for the movies that I have seen.

Also, question for you - do you happen to like Rings of Power?
Midsommar is absolutely good, a modern horror classic along with Aster's Hereditary, but hey, not everyone likes everything.

It's because he's no different than some bloke cynically spouting off things to say, eh i don't like it. There's nothing interesting or substantial about what he has to say at all, it's just vapid and boring and a waste of my time.

I don't need to watch some self-important arsehole rattle on about how the latest Marvel movie follows a relatively safe path and doesn't have an interesting plot.

No, I didn't really like Rings of Power. I thought the first episode was kind of boring and just gave up.

Last edited:
can i watch this without having to bother with S1 & S2? Also does Picard move like a normal human being or does he still have that "im old af" look to everything he does? miss me some decent Star Trek

k_trout

I tried this time I really did, I made it to episode 2. First episode seemed ok but second one..blegh felt that same sinking feeling as watching the first 2 seasons, like going on a date with a beautiful woman only to discover she is made of wax and clockwork

I tried this time I really did, I made it to episode 2. First episode seemed ok but second one..blegh felt that same sinking feeling as watching the first 2 seasons, like going on a date with a beautiful woman only to discover she is made of wax and clockwork
Yup. I've tapped out of this shite already as well.

Nico_D

It feels like Stewart is on some medication, his clarity comes and goes. In these two episodes he has been more Picard than on whole two previous seasons.

It feels like Stewart is on some medication, his clarity comes and goes. In these two episodes he has been more Picard than on whole two previous seasons.
While I still dislike his performance overall and find him to be the weak point of his own series... I agree that he has been better this season overall, and even had just a few moments where he sounded more like the real character.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
If they really wanted the fans to come back to the show, they should have called this The Next Generation: Season 8 (the sacrilege, I know) rather than Picard: Season 3.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Midsommar is absolutely good, a modern horror classic along with Aster's Hereditary, but hey, not everyone likes everything.

It's because he's no different than some bloke cynically spouting off things to say, eh i don't like it. There's nothing interesting or substantial about what he has to say at all, it's just vapid and boring and a waste of my time.

I don't need to watch some self-important arsehole rattle on about how the latest Marvel movie follows a relatively safe path and doesn't have an interesting plot.

No, I didn't really like Rings of Power. I thought the first episode was kind of boring and just gave up.

"Opinions are cool, not everyone will like every movie."

"Fuck this guy's opinion and fuck bringing him up!"

You got two people in that brain of your's, buddy? I don't care for critical drinker at all - but you are kind of contradicting yourself here.

"Opinions are cool, not everyone will like every movie."

"Fuck this guy's opinion and fuck bringing him up!"

You got two people in that brain of your's, buddy? I don't care for critical drinker at all - but you are kind of contradicting yourself here.
There’s a difference between being a person with opinions on something, and being a professional critic who is incompetent. Critical Drinker completely misunderstood the film.

Last edited:
Top Bottom