• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Picard Season 3 |OT| The Next Generation's Fifth Movie

I don't care for Critical Drinker all that much, but doesn't bother me that he doesn't know much about Japanese culture (I'm an expert). "Professional critic", yo sometimes a guy on YouTube is just a guy on YouTube, surely people don't watch him for his "professionalism". NOW GO AWAY (that's the catchphrase, right?)

Ep 3 wasn't as bad as the first two, even like half the Worf-isms made me grin rather than groan.

I guess it's good that Beverly pointed out that it was a Picard sized ship... though really Shaw, who is a total jobber, should have pointed out in real-time while fucking negotiating with them. Then he's like "ouch hurt my leg, Riker you're a cunt, you're in command, you fix it, fuck this shit I'm sitting the rest of it out."

TNG-era Trek was pretty clear on chains of command... and Admiral might show up, and be like okay this is your mission but I can't micromanage the ship. I got no clue wtf is going on here... so Riker... who I thought was retired, but has been wearing a normal uniform is now the captain, and Jean-Luc who is also retired, but with a higher rank. I guess Riker is still unretired from the end of last season? Well, whatever.

They're really going HAM on this "elderly people be getting pregnant in the future" bit... like... I could see the tech being there if you WANT to get pregnant... them having an unplanned pregnancy on the other hand is really stupid.

Crash LaForge giving Annika, no no, SEVEN a pep-talk was stupid.

Raffi is still lame.

The pivot to DS9-country perked up the ol' eyebrow a little, try not to fuck it up too bad guys.

Vadic is still terrible and I didn't bother to go back and check but did they re-use the same footage for two of her attacks where she was like "again" making gross old lady orgasm-faces while the bird-people pecked away at the subtitles?

As far as the leaking warp coils go... I thought the logic was they were damaged, thus leaking, which is why they thought to check it? Then it turns out to be sabotage? Maybe I misunderstood that plot point, but very convenient.

Overall it was in the mediocre-to-okay range. A marked improvement from dreadful I suppose.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I watched the first episode, didn't realize I could just sign up for another free one week trial on P+.

• Why is it so damn dark? I had to crank the brightness up on my iPad just to see things
  • This non-TNG character, can;t remember her name, completely uninteresting. I'm guessing she has a point later on but I feel like they should have just jettisoned all new characters that aren't directly attached to one of the original crew
  • Frakes and Jeri Ryan did the best jobs on updating their characters IMO. Ryan plays Seven' more human now, more emotional, after a few decades of living among humans more. Riker is obviously happy in life and just being himself, swinging his legs over chairs and joking and flirting
It's far better than the first season, but still feels weighed down by some of these new creators' bad decisions.

ManaByte

“Beheadings are on Wednesdays.”

star trek GIF

I really like Critical Drinker. Yes, he does a lot of anti-woke reviews but he likes movies that surprisingly a lot of anti-woke people normally wouldn't. He liked Prey. He liked Arcane. I think he really knows his stuff and calls it out when it's trash.

Personally, I like his taste. But opinions are all subjective so some people are going to agree and some are not.

That's all I have to say about Critical Drinker at this time. Go away now.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Decent episode 3, with some classic u-boat in space type action. Think they’re trying way too hard to create conflict between Riker and Picard. Picard’s decision making is flawed. Younger Picard would have agreed with Riker’s strategy.

Raffi continues to be shit. Should have just been Worf on his own.

Shame Rene Auberginois is dead.

That episode was where the season began to fall off a cliff and revert to the problems of the prior seasons.

The hallmark of this entire series has been this absolutely idiotic constant emotional conflict, shoved into every scene. The conversation between Picard and Crusher was totally out of character & implausible for both but they wrote it that way just have them emoting at each other. Likewise with Riker and Picard’s conflict.

That Picard strategy by the way… lol. “Will, we just need to get behind the other ship, then we’ll have the high ground or something.” Nice going idiot. That was the stupidest decision, and they only wrote Picard in that way to create yet another emotional fight on screen.

We laughed at Jack Crusher’s accent in the previous episodes (I remember pausing and saying, “why is he British? Just because Picard? Is his accent genetic?”) and now they had a throwaway line for it at last. Doesn’t make it any less stupid (uh, he went to school in London on Earth, even though he’s a total secret to everyone we knew, okay?).

xandaca

That episode was where the season began to fall off a cliff and revert to the problems of the prior seasons.

The hallmark of this entire series has been this absolutely idiotic constant emotional conflict, shoved into every scene. The conversation between Picard and Crusher was totally out of character & implausible for both but they wrote it that way just have them emoting at each other. Likewise with Riker and Picard’s conflict.

That Picard strategy by the way… lol. “Will, we just need to get behind the other ship, then we’ll have the high ground or something.” Nice going idiot. That was the stupidest decision, and they only wrote Picard in that way to create yet another emotional fight on screen.

We laughed at Jack Crusher’s accent in the previous episodes (I remember pausing and saying, “why is he British? Just because Picard? Is his accent genetic?”) and now they had a throwaway line for it at last. Doesn’t make it any less stupid (uh, he went to school in London on Earth, even though he’s a total secret to everyone we knew, okay?).

The Riker/Picard conflict really irritated me. Picard acknowledges in the first minutes of the episode that the Shrike could destroy the Titan if it wanted to, then goes on to not only repeatedly advocate for attacking it, but in front of the entire bridge crew in a way that undermines Riker's command. No matter how emotional (sigh) he might have been about Jack, there is absolutely no way a man of his experience and rank would have behaved that way* - complaints to the captain go privately in the ready room, not aired publicly. At the end, Riker decides attacking is only option and gives the order, then when it all goes wrong, he very nastily blames Picard ("You've killed us") even though, again, HE GAVE THE ORDER. Again, no matter how emotional he might have been, I don't buy for a second he'd ever talk to Picard that way, or vice-versa. Absolutely atrocious.

Re: Beverly - more ridiculous is how she said she didn't tell Picard about Jack because she wanted to protect him, yet spent the next twenty years ferrying him to and from warzones and disaster sites on their vulnerable little ship, frequently trading with black market gangsters. It all makes such perfect sense.

Also: more grimdark Raffi, chasing a shady dealer on the nightclub planet for the second episode in a row and wanting to rip out his fingernails for information, because that's Star Trek now.

*Yes, I know we've seen bridge officers act unprofessionally in the past, famously Worf in Gambit but also the first officer on Data's ship in Reunification (happens to him a lot, apparently) and Riker to Jellico in Chain Of Command. A man of Picard's age, experience, reserve and dedication to good procedure, though? Even moreso to one of his oldest and most trusted friends? Not for a second.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Older than air but younger than the foundations of the earth
Man Gates mcFaden doesn’t even look the same. And whatever she has done to “maintain” her looks is awful.

Did they say Wesley crusher was dead. Show redeemed.

Wesley left with the Traveler and is now working with Gary Seven's organization

DeafTourette

Y'all are still thinking this is supposed to be Season 8... It's NOT

It's their "Undiscovered Country" movie told as a limited series. It's in keeping with how the movies usually go... Some kind of conflict, an immovable object (the enemy), arguments between the bridge crew and captain, some emotional thing, jokes, etc. It's totally in keeping with Wrath, Voyage and Undiscovered

I was definitely surprised to see the changelings return, and a reference to Odo after all these years. Certainly better than yet another Borg threat at least.

Re: Beverly - more ridiculous is how she said she didn't tell Picard about Jack because she wanted to protect him, yet spent the next twenty years ferrying him to and from warzones and disaster sites on their vulnerable little ship, frequently trading with black market gangsters. It all makes such perfect sense.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. His response to the whole safety thing should have been “and how did that work out for you?” but he was too tired to think of it.

Also, the way she spoke of Picard was bizarre, as if written by someone who didn’t watch the show. Apparently he was nearly shot or blown up every few days like an action hero, and she suggested that being Picard’s son would mean always having “a target on your back.” Granted, there was a single Ferengi with a vendetta once, but generally speaking Picard traveled calmly, even in an unarmored shuttlecraft to speak at conferences. His ship might have run into weird anomalies but by no means was he personally any kind of lightning rod, just a respected and wise leader who sat comfortably to read books in his ready room.

DeafTourette

I was definitely surprised to see the changelings return, and a reference to Odo after all these years. Certainly better than yet another Borg threat at least.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. His response to the whole safety thing should have been “and how did that work out for you?” but he was too tired to think of it.

Also, the way she spoke of Picard was bizarre, as if written by someone who didn’t watch the show. Apparently he was nearly shot or blown up every few days like an action hero, and she suggested that being Picard’s son would mean always having “a target on your back.” Granted, there was a single Ferengi with a vendetta once, but generally speaking Picard traveled calmly, even in an unarmored shuttlecraft to speak at conferences. His ship might have run into weird anomalies but by no means was he personally any kind of lightning rod, just a respected and wise leader who sat comfortably to read books in his ready room.

Captain Picard had guns held to his head, shot at, kidnapped, taken hostage, tortured... A LOT in TNG... That's not counting the times it's happened in the 4 movies they did. Which was Beverly's point: Jean-Luc was in danger a LOT during the series, even apart from the rest of the crew.

Yeah aside from a couple of movies he mostly was just chill, diplomatic, and outsourced the Kirk shit to Riker. But he's being treated like he's Super-Kirk on top of already appropriating that Dr. Marcus love-child plot.

Captiosus

Episode 3 is exactly what I feared this series would be. Not content with completely assassinating Picard in seasons 1 and 2, they’re now assassinating all the other TNG characters.

Beverly: Makes a whole host of ridiculous excuses as to why she refused to tell Picard about his son, but the biggest one being she didn’t want him having a target on his back. Yet she basically turned her son into an interplanetary black market drug and gun smuggler with multiple fake identities, which made him one of the most wanted criminals in the galaxy. Bang up job keeping the target off his back, Beverly. She went from respected Doctor on the Federation’s flagship to smuggler because… why? But at least she was helping planets they “forgot”, so it’s okay. :rolleyes:

”Hi, I’m Worf, here’s my list of honoraries, titles, and conquests. But I’m totally chill now. Tea? I’m working on myself.” And then he plays the role of “Good Cop” to Raffi’s “I’m an unhinged addict cop”? This isn’t Worf, it’s a poor facsimile of Worf.

Riker… In the first episode, it was Riker’s idea to use subterfuge to effectively commandeer the Titan and a shuttle, now he has the audacity to blame Picard for this situation? He’s also turned into a complete pussy who wouldn’t even entertain the idea of fighting if necessary and only looked for any option to run and hide. I realize they’re trying to connect it to the loss of his son but all it does is show Riker isn’t Captain material. The conflict between Riker and Picard feels completely forced and out of character for both.

Picard, well… I guess learning he has a son has made him forget decades of diplomacy, procedure, and combat tactics and go straight to SHOOT ALL THE THINGS! Picard now acts as impulsively as TNG Riker.

At least Seven is starting to act like Voyager era Seven again. But at this rate I’m scared to watch further because I don’t want to see how badly they massacre Geordi’s character when he finally shows up.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Why is PIcard so emotional. WE MUST ATTACK! for the 7th time Attack,

It is like they didn't know what to do with the bridge but they just want to have picard plead to attack. PLEAD PIcard, PLEAD! That is not TNG PIcard that is some old man pretending to be PIcard.

Riker is truly the hero of this season. He's the only one (and maybe Worf) who feels exactly like his character again. Other than listening to the Picard imposter and making idiotic attack attempt, he held the bridge like a real captain for a minute there.

I hate Picard's son. His acting range is so small, it's just the same attitude the whole time, the scenes bore the hell out of me. And he's very British only because they hoped that would echo Patrick Stewart better, even though it makes zero sense and the "he went to school in London" line was ... lol

I don't recall a time when the doctor ever had to feel a patient physically like that to detect internal bleeding rather than using the medical tricorder and scanners. It felt weird on Star Trek.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Well, after seeing episode 3, it's obvious to see a progression curve. It's still not amazing as we've been overhyped, but it's honestly better than the crap we've seen so far for several years.

Now the problem is that Star Trek is dead. At least the one we knew. Whether you're American or European, this license has rocked several generations, but we have a date of death: the last season of Enterprise.

TNG came at the right time: not too much budget, scripts that had to fit with what they had, discussions between adults, no agenda, no quota and no emotion in the big shot on Burnham's face crying. Obviously the episodic format. It wasn't perfect, there are plenty of failed episodes, but it didn't care about the ridiculousness at the time and it didn't have to copy Hollywood's over-the-top egalitarian crap to fit the "mold."

This season of Picard, despite all its efforts, still looks like a 10-episode movie with action galore, the bridge of the Titan is desperately dark (and of all Starfleet ships for that matter), there is some unnecessary drama at times (Riker kicking Picard off the bridge), etc.

There are some positives though: Worf is not as bad as I expected, the twist interests me and there is some coherence in the lore and in the attitudes (Jack who can't go back to the bridge in red alert, Seven confined to her quarters, the transfer by voice order to Riker, etc). But for the moment, it's mostly nostalgia trying to pet the fan.

Still tricky to judge with three episodes in.

Power Pro

So all those super fan Twitter accounts who said TNG was back… lel.
I haven't watched episodes 2 and 3 yet, but...if it's as bad as some of the users are saying, then what the hell is up with all the people who were saying it good before release? The one I can't quite get over is Dave Cullen, because he has been extremely harsh on all of Nutrek just as much as I have been, yet he was like "they're right, it's better...blah blah blah". Like dude, did these people really just sell out because they got early access?

This is why prior to release I said I only really cared about what Red Letter Media said, and having watched episode 1, and RLM's review of episode 1, I also felt the same way they did. Let's see what the say about 2 and 3 though now.

DeafTourette

I am still weirded out at people who want Star Trek to stay the same as it was 20 or 30 years ago... The characters should stay the same... Time doesn't matter , they should stay the exact same ...

Not to mention that Discovery was a success for Paramount and it's brought in new people to Trek (isn't that what we want?) like the 2009 film did. We should want more people to become fans, not gatekeep the franchise and crap on everything that's not what's in our head canon... Because I've read some takes in here about Captain Picard that is NOT what Picard was like whatsoever ... Or even TNG! It's so weird.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
I am still weirded out at people who want Star Trek to stay the same as it was 20 or 30 years ago... The characters should stay the same... Time doesn't matter , they should stay the exact same ...

Not to mention that Discovery was a success for Paramount and it's brought in new people to Trek (isn't that what we want?) like the 2009 film did. We should want more people to become fans, not gatekeep the franchise and crap on everything that's not what's in our head canon... Because I've read some takes in here about Captain Picard that is NOT what Picard was like whatsoever ... Or even TNG! It's so weird.

Nice strawman arguments. Why am I not surpised?

No one wants them to stay exactly the same. They just want the characterization to stay CONSISTENT and LOGICAL. Which, funny enough, is not what we have been given.

Want to try again, DT?

DeafTourette

Nice strawman arguments. Why am I not surpised?

No one wants them to stay exactly the same. They just want the characterization to stay CONSISTENT and LOGICAL. Which, funny enough, is not what we have been given.

Want to try again, DT?
It's not a strawman argument because what do you mean by "consistent and logical"?

In a person's life, ANY set of circumstances can happen that changes their outlooks, behaviors, etc. The me of TODAY is very different from the me of 30 years ago at 18. And if things had been "consistent" for me from 18 to now, my life would be very similar to how it was then. It wouldn't be how it is now.

I'm looking at things in a LOGICAL and GLOBAL perspective because change is inevitable... Unexpected circumstances are inevitable and can change people's lives, even fundamentally.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
It's not a strawman argument because what do you mean by "consistent and logical"?

In a person's life, ANY set of circumstances can happen that changes their outlooks, behaviors, etc. The me of TODAY is very different from the me of 30 years ago at 18. And if things had been "consistent" for me from 18 to now, my life would be very similar to how it was then. It wouldn't be how it is now.

I'm looking at things in a LOGICAL and GLOBAL perspective because change is inevitable... Unexpected circumstances are inevitable and can change people's lives, even fundamentally.

It was a strawman, because no one is making that argument. You purposefully misconstrue and outright lie about what people are saying. AKA, a Strawman.

You do this a lot whenever it comes to media that supports your personal ideology.

DeafTourette

It was a strawman, because no one is making that argument. You purposefully misconstrue and outright lie about what people are saying. AKA, a Strawman.

You do this a lot whenever it comes to media that supports your personal ideology.

Personal ideology... Okayyyyyy... No ideology here but whatever... Anyway...

But my point stands because I've been a ST fan since I was 8! TOS, TNG, DS9, some voyager, my town never got the channel that had Enterprise, the movies and New Trek.

EVERY post I find weird has talked about how the characters are not how they remember them or how they aren't like the show... Including YOUR posts.

Again, I ask you what do YOU mean by consistent and logical?

Power Pro

It's not about staying the same, it's about being a world you'd want to live in. It's about looking at the future of humanity with a sense of hope and optimism. Not dread and pessimism, which the world of Nutrek is full of. It's absolutely depressing, which is not what star trek meant to me. There were still conflicts, and people who were living in unjust world, but the point was that humanity and Earth had gotten beyond that bull shit. Season 1 of Picard didn't understand or know that shit when they were trying to bring up classism with Raffi complaining about her trailer park home, and Picard with his "fine chateau" bull shit.

There was a time when Star Trek inspired people. Scientists would talk about Star Trek as an inspiration for wanting to get into the field. My favorite episodes of Star Trek often did not have anything involving an antagonist in some way, but rather an unexplored aspect of space and the unknowns of the universe.

There was a point where good Star Trek got bogged down with technobabble, but it all seemed plausible still based on the science established throughout the series. Nutrek treats science like it's fucking magic, and that it doesn't need an explanation. I was never a big fantasy person, and always preferred Sci-fi like Star Trek because it didn't suspend my disbelief. It just shows how talentless current writers are that they have to come up with bull shit with no feasible explanation to tell their story.

It's not about staying the same, it's about being a world you'd want to live in. It's about looking at the future of humanity with a sense of hope and optimism. Not dread and pessimism, which the world of Nutrek is full of. It's absolutely depressing, which is not what star trek meant to me. There were still conflicts, and people who were living in unjust world, but the point was that humanity and Earth had gotten beyond that bull shit. Season 1 of Picard didn't understand or know that shit when they were trying to bring up classism with Raffi complaining about her trailer park home, and Picard with his "fine chateau" bull shit.

There was a time when Star Trek inspired people. Scientists would talk about Star Trek as an inspiration for wanting to get into the field. My favorite episodes of Star Trek often did not have anything involving an antagonist in some way, but rather an unexplored aspect of space and the unknowns of the universe.

There was a point where good Star Trek got bogged down with technobabble, but it all seemed plausible still based on the science established throughout the series. Nutrek treats science like it's fucking magic, and that it doesn't need an explanation. I was never a big fantasy person, and always preferred Sci-fi like Star Trek because it didn't suspend my disbelief. It just shows how talentless current writers are that they have to come up with bull shit with no feasible explanation to tell their story.
Nimoy took a tour of NASA once and scientist after scientist came up to him in awe and said how he was responsible for their lifelong interest in science and their careers. Nimoy played along because he didn’t have the heart to tell them he didn’t know jack about science - he was an actor.

Of course characters can change. As can Starfleet. I bet every Trekkie in this thread loves DS9. But the spirit of Stat Trek needs to be preserved.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Nimoy took a tour of NASA once and scientist after scientist came up to him in awe and said how he was responsible for their lifelong interest in science and their careers. Nimoy played along because he didn’t have the heart to tell them he didn’t know jack about science - he was an actor.

Of course characters can change. As can Starfleet. I bet every Trekkie in this thread loves DS9. But the spirit of Stat Trek needs to be preserved.

What you said just reminds me of how great Nimoy was. He was the best part of JJ Abrams 2009 trek movie...even if the rest of the movie kinda sucks, he still knew how to portray the character so well.

The actors who were involved in the original series seemed to understand their characters a lot better than the TNG cast does. People love to shit on Shatner, and how bad Star Trek 5 was, and yeah the script was kinda lacking...but Shatner's direction in Star Trek 5 was fine. He understood all those characters, and it's biggest flaw is that it seemed like a long episode of the original show.

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit

Perfectly said. Star Trek is what got me into science. It is why I worked my fucking ass off as a chemist and have been trying to earn a PhD (and was on route to do so, until Covid fucked up funding).

Star Trek today? Its nothing but a soapbox for shitty writers who want to use it to bitch and white about something that was long since dealt with in universe. They use previously established characters to spout their ideologies that go counter to who they are as characters. Picard of TNG would never have become Picard of... *Picard*. It is a completely different person and no amount of time would change the core fundamentals of who he was as a person.

Something that certain individuals in this thread know, but continue to purposefully pretend to be ignorant of, only because it follows their personal ideologies. Literal fucking NPCs, man.

FunkMiller

I don't have an issue with change, but I do have an issue with fundamentally changing the ethos behind the series. One that was very, very clearly carved out by Roddenberry, and continued by Berman and company.

Star Trek went from being pretty hard sci-fi, with rational discourse, scientific concepts and the notion that only through intelligent thought, co-operation, compromise and well intentioned exploration can we achieve progress - to a show about a bunch of emotionally unstable children, where 'believing in yourself and being true to yourself' became the way to get on in the world, and conflicts can be resolved just by getting in touch with your emotions and feelings. Vapid horseshit.

Largely written that way because the people behind the show were no longer rationalists, scientifically minded, or interested in space exploration. Kurtzman and Goldsman's entire careers are peppered with the worst kind of Hollywood schmaltz, plot contrivance, and lack of logic.

Have a read of this stream of effluence for an example of how badly people don't get what Star Trek is supposed to be: https://www.polygon.com/22924014/star-trek-discovery-character-emotions

Last edited:
The "OMG everyone from the Enterprise is such a legend" shit's gotta go. Like it's okay in the cartoon series, where it's a comedy, and it's a stand in for the fanboy's view. Here it's just terrible for storytelling. At least the doctor didn't want to take any shit from Beverly, though she got a medical smackdown in the end anyway BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T REALIZE BEVERLY IS A FUCKING LEGEND!

DeafTourette

The "OMG everyone from the Enterprise is such a legend" shit's gotta go. Like it's okay in the cartoon series, where it's a comedy, and it's a stand in for the fanboy's view. Here it's just terrible for storytelling. At least the doctor didn't want to take any shit from Beverly, though she got a medical smackdown in the end anyway BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T REALIZE BEVERLY IS A FUCKING LEGEND!

It was the same thing in Generations "I read all about your adventures in grade school" ... Even Sidney Laforge had her Ensign Demora Sulu moment.

I bet they'll have that group shot from UC at the end, too! I'm not complaining. I eat this stuff UP!

Top Bottom