• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

I love the "Who are you" "I'm nobody". It reminds me so much of when JJ Abrahms was sold on doing Star Wars by hearing "Who is Luke Skwalker?".

Tookay

So that Scene of Ren in the Rain with other Knights is that going be them attacking Lukes temple or was that rumor of a temple false.

Got feeling it could be ending of film now knights of Ren have located Luke and prepare to attack him

It's probably the former.

ryan299

I am starting to think Chewie is the one who bites the bucket and not Han.

Somebody did some color correction on the image and it does look like Chewie's fur. I would find it hilarious and amazing if the movie came out and it's completely different from everything we've been hearing.

Shadoron

Just a weird little observation.

It looks like Kylo is not wearing his mask during the fight with Finn. The last few seconds of the trailer, you can see his hair. I guess I was under the impression that he wouldn't be unmasked in VII at all... (his face, not who his character really is).

EDIT: At least I think it looks like hair, seems way to uneven to be the hood.

Just a weird little observation.

It looks like Kylo is not wearing his mask during the fight with Finn. The last few seconds of the trailer, you can see his hair. I guess I was under the impression that he wouldn't be unmasked in VII at all... (his face, not who his character really is).

EDIT: At least I think it looks like hair, seems way to uneven to be the hood.

There were pictures of him without the mask on. They were shown around the time the second teaser hit, I think.

mephixto

Banned
Kylo is Luke son that turns into the dark side after the death of his mother, he blames Luke of it. Rey is Leia and Han daughter that for some reason is away from their parents, Han appear to pick her up.

Oh gee I wonder what's going on there...

It's Han's jacket. It's Han's snow-flecked hair, and you can see his ear. Oh god, the lump in my throat. I can barely swallow it down before it comes back again. :(

I'm not ready for that scene.

EDIT: Actually, upon examining it again, I'm not so sure that is Han.

FeD.nL

So Rey talking with a brit accent. The Vicar isn't her 'guardian' any more right? I remember the earlier rumours saying he was once an Imperial and eventually became the caretaker of Rey, which would explain her talking with a brit accent. I found that interesting especially since Boyega is putting up an American accent. But perhaps I'm looking to much into it.

Cheebo

Banned
It's very difficult to read those threads with people being extremely adamant about their crazy theories when on the dark side of the spoilers. I am thinking I need to stay out of the OT threads till the film is out, they are such a mess of people spoiler tagging pure nonsense.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, I keep wanting to correct people but then I have to remind myself to hold back. Seeing the amount of people who think Luke is Kylo or Poe is a secret double agent or that Chewie dies is pretty funny though.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that there were seven Knights of Ren - that clears up who "the seven" from the call sheets are. The clan must be the Jedi then. Kylo looks like he's the only one with a lightsaber though - does that mean that he's the only Force-sensitive Knight, or just that he's the only one who figured out how to cobble together a lightsaber? That would be interesting, if all the Knights had different weapons (but it also feels kind of weirdly anime-ish if that's the case, with this group of people who could get in one-on-one fights with the main cast, each with a distinct trait/weapon). He's also obviously participating in the attack, which indicates that he betrayed the Jedi rather than that he was kidnapped by the Knights during the attack.

However, this also should reinforce the idea that Rey was a member of the academy, even though the trailer makes it seem like she doesn't know about the Jedi, since the call sheets had stated after the attack by the Knights that there is a shot of Kylo walking towards Rey. She must be a little girl in that shot with Kylo heading after her, then somehow she escapes/is rescued. Maybe she's too young to remember, or someone mindwipes her? One of Kylo's lines of dialogue after all in the movie is "You don't remember?", which is probably during his interrogation of Rey (unless it's during his interrogation of Poe).

Here's the call sheet description:

Flashback: Exterior Night Battlefield – Fierce battle! Sword is being use by the CLAN against THE SEVEN.
Flashback: Exterior Night: the last man is down and Kylo Renn approaches Rey!
Flashback: THE SEVEN are looting and we see Rose in the foreground taking “the object.”
Interior Day Roses’s Pub: In the underground chamber, Rose presents the saber and Rey is revolted by it while Finn is attracted to it.

So the Jedi are fighting the Knights, with someone using Anakin's lightsaber. The last Jedi is killed, Kylo approaches Rey - but apparently doesn't get her? The Knights are then looting but Maz takes the lightsaber (and Rey?). We've still got a lot to figure out.

Deadly

With Kylo Ren being Vader obsessed, it makes quite alot of sense for Hayden Christensen to appear in the later movies now. Have him appear to give him a moral whoopin or something.

If ya'll could refrain from correcting bullshit speculation and invariably spoiling things for others, that'd be great.

Pretty sure that hasn't happened yet. The only guy who got corrected was someone who straight-up lied and said he posted the actual plot when he didn't. Correcting that without posting spoilers doesn't spoil anyone, it just lets people know they haven't actually been or won't be spoiled.

People will see that for themselves when the movie is actually out, though, so I guess people lying about spoilers doesn't cause more harm than shitting up a good discussion thread.

People shouldn't be posting spoilers, real or fake, in that thread anyway.

sphagnum

Banned
With Kylo Ren being Vader obsessed, it makes quite alot of sense for Hayden Christensen to appear in the later movies now. Have him appear to give him a moral whoopin or something.

Yes, I would love to see this. I don't know if any of the directors have the balls to do it though since association with the prequels might be seen as a bad thing. Clearly the rest of the new canon folks (the Rebels showrunners, the novelists, the Marvel teams) don't have a problem with tying everything together but JJ has been doing his best to make this movie a pure OT fest.

But Haydenghost showing up to try to convince Kylo he's a moron would make perfect sense in terms of the storyline. I've actually been wondering what in-universe reason there could be that Kylo wouldn't have already met him, unless it's just that your power level has to be at X% to interact with Force ghosts or something. The kind-of-canon YA adaptation of ESB makes this appear to be the case since Obi-Wan tells Luke that he has become strong enough in the Force that he can now see him, but this flies in the face of the actual movie where Luke sees Obi-Wan's ghost on Hoth before he trains with Yoda. So it's probably not really the case.

Deadly

Yes, I would love to see this. I don't know if any of the directors have the balls to do it though since association with the prequels might be seen as a bad thing. Clearly the rest of the new canon folks (the Rebels showrunners, the novelists, the Marvel teams) don't have a problem with tying everything together but JJ has been doing his best to make this movie a pure OT fest.

But Haydenghost showing up to try to convince Kylo he's a moron would make perfect sense in terms of the storyline. I've actually been wondering what in-universe reason there could be that Kylo wouldn't have already met him, unless it's just that your power level has to be at X% to interact with Force ghosts or something. The kind-of-canon YA adaptation of ESB makes this appear to be the case since Obi-Wan tells Luke that he has become strong enough in the Force that he can now see him, but this flies in the face of the actual movie where Luke sees Obi-Wan's ghost on Hoth before he trains with Yoda. So it's probably not really the case.
With the recent rumor, it does seem likely.

I also wonder if Harrison Ford is totally in because he wanted Han Solo to die :lol

Hex

Banned
So about this
g4l51qp.jpg

I am saying shopped?

Okay, I'm bailing. I need the spoilers. Can't hold out anymore. Hahaha.

Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of what we know for sure is true?

Thanks.

So... I have been watching this and trying to formulate my own idea about what is happening.

I think that Han and Leia had 2 kids. A boy (Kylo) and a girl (Rey). I think that the knights came and abducted Kylo when he was young and taught him the darkside of the force.... something to that effect. I think the loss of thier son pushed Han and Leia to put thier daughter in seclusion.

She finds out that her parents are Han and Leia, but does not know that Kylo is her brother. Both are force sensitive. I think Luke will have a small part in this movie (towards the end) and a much greater role in Episode 8 as a teacher. I think Han's death lures him out of hiding. I also think that we will see a much greater threat in Episode 8.. . possibly teased in 7.

TBH, the most hype moment in the film for me will be right before Han's death, when the camera cuts back to Leia saying "I sense a disturbance in the force."

THAT will ruin me.

If Han dies... it may very well be one of the sadest moments in Sci Fi movie history. I mean Vader dying was sad, but good at the same time as he was finally free.

If Han dies... it may very well be one of the sadest moments in Sci Fi movie history. I mean Vader dying was sad, but good at the same time as he was finally free.

tbh Harrison Ford's constant yaking about how he wants Han dead has jaded me. I really don't care if he dies at this point, because it seems like Harrison has no interest in being a part of the Star Wars films.

sphagnum

Banned
Okay, I'm bailing. I need the spoilers. Can't hold out anymore. Hahaha.

Can anyone give me a quick synopsis of what we know for sure is true?

Thanks.

Well, there's a lot of things we are pretty sure are true but it's hard to say without a script, which never leaked. We're going off the call sheets that leaked but were written to be sort of vague. But the general thrust of the plot is like this:

Poe Dameron is sent to Jakku to retrieve Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, which Luke lost on Bespin, which has somehow come into the possession there of an elderly man named Lor San Tekka (Max von Sydow). He arrives but the First Order troops have also found out and Kylo Ren sends Stormtroopers to attack. Poe hides and puts the lightsaber inside BB8, sending it on its way, so Kylo massacres the village and captures him. In the fight, Finn's best friend (another Stormtrooper) dies and he becomes distraught.

Poe is taken back to the Star Destroyer and interrogated about the lightsaber, which Kylo desperately wants. Finn decides to abandon the First Order and breaks Poe out of his cell, hijacking a TIE Fighter with him. They get shot down and crash on Jakku. Finn thinks Poe is dead, takes his jacket, and stumbles off into the desert.

Rey, who is a scavenger living out of an AT-AT from the Battle of Jakku (she scavenges for materials from crashed ships etc. to sell to the gangster Unkar Plutt to buy water), finds BB8 and initially decides to sell him. She tries to pawn him off at a bazaar but the buyer doesn't want him; she meets Finn, who tries to convince her to help him, and there's suddenly an attack by TIE Fighters (I honestly don't remember what the cause of this is though, whether it's because someone recognizes BB8 or Finn and contacts the Star Destroyer). They flee by hijacking the Millennium Falcon, which is docked at the market, and there's a chase sequence through the interior of a Super Star Destroyer. They manage to make it to space but are swallowed up by a gigantic freighter, where they meet Han, who is in the middle of a bad situation with some gang members. Finn and Rey help Han, Chewie is injured in the fight but Finn later patches him up which earns Han's respect. Han sees that they are in his old ship and demands that they give it back to him (he apparently lost it some time ago) but when he finds out what's going on and realizes that BB8 has Luke's lightsaber he takes them to Takodana, the planet where the pirate leader Maz Kanata (who knew Luke) rules.

They get to Takodana and Han tries to convince Maz to help him. Leia, who is a general in the Resistance, sends an emissary. Maz uses psychometry (a Force power previously displayed by Quinlan Vos) to "read" the history of the lightsaber, revealing how it was once in the possession of Luke's Jedi order but that they were wiped out by the Knights of Ren and then it passed hands until it got to Jakku. She tries to give it to Rey but Rey feels disgusted by it and runs away, so she gives it to Finn. On orders from Supreme Leader Snoke, the First Order attacks and the castle is leveled. Somehow Poe survived and got back to the Resistance, where he leads the charge in his X-Wing and drives off the FO forces, but not before Rey is captured and taken to the snowy planet that the FO is using for Starkiller Base.

Finn, Han, Maz, and Chewie meet with Leia at the Resistance's base where Maz presents Leia with the lightsaber. There's some sort of secret puzzle in the lightsaber itself pointing to Luke's location (he went into hiding after the Jedi massacre) but nobody can figure it out. Meanwhile Finn tells the Resistance higher ups all about Starkiller Base and they decide to attack; Han and Finn decide to rescue Rey. En route to the snow planet, Han breaks down over what Maz revealed to him about Kylo (which is probably that Kylo is his son) but Finn comforts him. They manage to evade the FO's defense systems by doing some kind of maneuver that causes the Falcon to crashland and they make their trek to the Starkiller Base.

Kylo interrogates Rey but does not manage to break her. However, he becomes convinced that he does not need the lightsaber to find Luke (who he wants to kill), which may indicate that he thinks Rey and Luke have a history and he can extract it from her. Kylo discovers the Falcon and "has a moment" on the ship. Rey manages to break out of prison and meet with Han and Finn as the battle begins when the Resistance fleet comes out of hyperspace. There's a huge space battle and the Resistance using a superweapon that we only know from its codename, the "sledgehammer", which plows through Star Destroyers. General Hux retaliates with a superweapon codenamed "the array" which wipes out not only the entire Resistance fleet but his own fleet. Poe's Black Squadron manages to survive due to being in the atmosphere. Han and Finn infiltrate the base and Finn uses the lightsaber to destroy the shield generator, which allows Poe's group to bomb the Starkiller weapon and destroy it.

Kylo confronts Han. Han tries to reason with him but Kylo murders him. Chewie flips out and Kylo flees. Finn gives pursuit and duels him with the lightsaber but is badly injured. Rey takes up the sword and duels Kylo but it's either a draw or she loses, although not quite as bad. Either way, a cliff collapses and then Kylo gets away (it's not clear if Kylo falls off the cliff or what).

At the Resistance base, R2, 3PO, and BB-8 decode the puzzle leading to Luke. Rey says goodbye to Finn, who is in the medical bay, and takes the Falcon with Chewie to whatever planet Luke is on. She finds him in his "monastery" and presents him the lightsaber.

edit: beaten but I woke up too early today and felt like typing it out anyway

teeny

IMO, Han dying has always made sense for his character. Not just the act of dying, but the act of sacrifice. It should have happened in Return Of The Jedi - it would have been even more poignant after the crew save him from Jabba in the first act.

Question because I keep hearing conflicting things.

I want to get my kids in to star wars in preparation for this movie.

What is the best order to watch the films in?

sphagnum

Banned
Question because I keep hearing conflicting things.

I want to get my kids in to star wars in preparation for this movie.

What is the best order to watch the films in?

Just let them pick. Tell them one way is the way everyone else has watched it, the other way is story order. Show them trailers or the covers of the movies or something.

Some people are dead set that one way is better than the other but it doesn't really matter. Although everyone else will tell you OT first.

sphagnum

Banned
Any word on who Ren is talking to? Himself? Or who Serkis is?

Exactly what it looks like in the trailer. He's talking to Darth Vader's helmet.

Andy Serkis is Supreme Leader Snoke, the head honcho of the First Order. He's an alien, which is why he's mo-cap. He pretty much stays behind the scenes and shows up in holograms like Sidious in TPM.

Tendo

Exactly what it looks like in the trailer. He's talking to Darth Vader's helmet.

Andy Serkis is Supreme Leader Snoke, the head honcho of the First Order. He's an alien, which is why he's mo-cap. He pretty much stays behind the scenes and shows up in holograms like Sidious in TPM.

Whoa that is interesting, given the empire's alien racism, alienism? Speciasm? Cool!

sphagnum

Banned
Whoa that is interesting, given the empire's alien racism, alienism? Speciasm? Cool!

The Empire is not officially speciesist in canon. That was an EU thing. In the new canon we've had plenty of aliens working for the Empire (all three Inquisitors, for example), although none are part of the military, which seems to still be human-centric. Unless there are some near-human Stormtroopers, which we've seen no evidence of yet.

Who knows whether the FO is xenophobic or not though.

FeD.nL

I really like that Poe seems to be just a pilot, a really good one of course, but more of what would have been a fleshed out Wedge if he was given a more prominent role in the OT. I always liked Wedge and it did bother me he wasn't the main leader of the assault on the second death star in ROTJ but Lando was.

I'm glad we're getting a pilot like Wedge as one of the main characters.

Ogimachi

I really like that Poe seems to be just a pilot, a really good one of course, but more of what would have been a fleshed out Wedge if he was given a more prominent role in the OT. I always liked Wedge and it did bother me he wasn't the main leader of the assault on the second death star in ROTJ but Lando was.

I'm glad we're getting a pilot like Wedge as one of the main characters.
I'm still disappointed Denis Lawson (Wedge) turned down Disney's offer to be in the new trilogy because he thought it'd bore him lol.

Top Bottom