• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Jarmel

Banned
If that is Finn, he got fucked up a lot worse than I was expecting. If he ain't moving then I wonder if he got a chest wound or something on that level.

If that is Finn, he got fucked up a lot worse than I was expecting. If he ain't moving then I wonder if he got a chest wound or something on that level.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised; Kylo just previously murdered his own dad. Finn's lucky to make it out alive for taking that guy on his own.

Bastables

That's the thing though, there's only two decades between Episodes 3 and 4.

So basically what happened is: everything was new and shiny in the PT and in the OT everything was run down. Okay, fair enough I can suspend my disbelief enough to accept that two decades of war has caused both sides, even the powerful Empire, to quit painting and shining all their material.

But what I can't accept is how in only two decades time EVERY vehicle was adapted and changed THAT much. I guess I should have clarified better, the vehicles in the PT should have been WAY closer to the OT than they were.

I mean, look at cars, I can clearly see the similarities in a VW Golf Mk3 (about 20 years old) compared to a current VW Golf Mk7, I was expecting an evolution like that.

Here's a 1910's tank
British_Mark_IV_Tadpole_tank.jpg

Here's a tank based on 1920 peace time designs.
Cruiser_Mk_IV.jpg

War time tended to accelerate the design changes and looks if the country could afford or thought it could afford to incorporate lessons learnt in their designs
Here's a german tank designed in the 30s
Pz4AusfD.jpg

Here's their 40s design
9hCvu.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
I honestly wouldn't be surprised; Kylo just previously murdered his own dad. Finn's lucky to make it out alive for taking that guy on his own.

Kolto tanks to the rescue! But yea if he gets gored, then holy shit this film is going to get dark for a little bit.

One main character dead and the co-lead getting pierced with a lightsaber(a usually fatal wound). That's going to be rough.

prag16

Banned
Kolto tanks to the rescue! But yea if he gets gored, then holy shit this film is going to get dark for a little bit.

One main character dead and the co-lead getting pierced with a lightsaber(a usually fatal wound). That's going to be rough.

What's the matter with you, kolto is non-canon now.

Just skimmed through that. The Luke and Rey exchange is something I've not read before. 60% confidence. Hm.

Yeah, this was the first I'd heard indicated that the final scene was that extensive. Previously it sounded like it was nearly wordless, but I guess that's what happens when all we see is call sheets.

60%, eh. If accurate, that's a bomb been dropped.

Here's a 1910's tank
British_Mark_IV_Tadpole_tank.jpg

Here's a tank based on 1920 peace time designs.
Cruiser_Mk_IV.jpg

War time tended to accelerate the design changes and looks if the country could afford or thought it could afford to incorporate lessons learnt in their designs
Here's a german tank designed in the 30s
Pz4AusfD.jpg

Here's their 40s design
9hCvu.jpg

To elaborate on this a little: war refines technologies like no other process on earth. During peacetime, lots of ideas get thrown around, and then suddenly and dramatically sifted through when things get heated.

Take tanks. A relatively new technology only brought into being during the end of the war, there was a great deal of uncertainty as to how they'd actually be used. Many leading military theorists hypothesized that tanks would take up a role analogous to ships at sea, and thus created various classes based mostly on weight, which is where stuff like super heavy designs emulating battleships came from. As it turns out, that was bullshit, and tank designs changed dramatically from the start of the war to the end.

This effect would only be exacerbated in an era with rapid prototyping technologies, which the Star Wars 'verse probably has.

sphagnum

Banned
One thing I thought about - all the Jedi that the Knights of Ren massacre?

They're all just bodies now. But Luke's academy can't possibly have gotten a ton of adherents by the time of the massacre. Maybe 50 Jedi or so.

There are going to be few enough Jedi at Luke's academy that in the coming decade we'll probably learn the names and backstories of every single one. On rewatches they won't just be "a bunch of dead Jedi", they'll be a specific set of characters whose adventures we will watch unfold in the novels and comics and tv shows, and they'll all be dead.

Rootbeer

Banned
if the knights of ren take out luke's academy I am just wondering how they are able to do it. Only 7 of them and only one has a lightsaber? We've seen very few opponents who can go against Jedi and win. Usually only other force users. We can presume there were more than just younglings there, right?

Jarmel

Banned
if the knights of ren take out luke's academy I am just wondering how they are able to do it. Only 7 of them and only one has a lightsaber? We've seen very few opponents who can go against Jedi and win. Usually only other force users. We can presume there were more than just younglings there, right?

All the Knights have to be Force users for that to make sense. Well either that or there are a bunch of Stormtroopers off to the side.

Otherwise being a Jedi would be trash in that universe if seven guys can wipe out an entire temple of people.

Ogimachi

All the Knights have to be Force users for that to make sense. Well either that or there are a bunch of Stormtroopers off to the side.

Otherwise being a Jedi would be trash in that universe if seven guys can wipe out an entire temple of people.
Not necessarily. Their melee weapons could be made of phrik, or maybe they had mandalorian iron armour. It depends on disney's canon, of course, but lightsaber-resistant materials were important in countless events of the previous canon.
The wiki does have phrik in its canon page, although with a very limited description for Palpatine's lightsaber.

As part of the story, I think it'd be nice to have something that's lightsaber-resitant and/or some people who are able to not only hold their own, but defeat multiple Jedi without using the Force or lightsabers. It'd make them a much bigger threat and the audience -specially after Han's death- would definitely be convinced that the heroes are in great danger against mighty foes.

Sorcerer

I think it is Finn. According to the synopsis Solo falls over a rail and the group leave without ever seeing him again.

JJ even got that right. Somewhere in the movie someone has to fall into a chasm somehow.

I think it is Finn. According to the synopsis Solo falls over a rail and the group leave without ever seeing him again.

JJ even got that right. Somewhere in the movie someone has to fall into a chasm somehow.
Star Wars - Stormtrooper in the Death Star falls after being shot.
The Empire Strikes Back - Luke willingly falls in Bespin.
Return of the Jedi - The Emperor is thrown into one by Vader on the second Death Star.

Heh, I've never noticed this pattern.

Sorcerer

Star Wars - Stormtrooper in the Death as far falls after being shot.
The Empire Strikes Back - Luke willingly falls in Bespin.
Return of the Jedi - The Emperor is thrown into one by Vader on the second Death Star.

Heh, I've never noticed this pattern.

Fett into the Sarlacc Pitt

Also Obi in the Darth Maul fight and then Maul Himself.

Can't think of ones for Clones or Sith.

Falling down a chasm also allows the possibility of a comeback, if you're a famous enough character. If Darth Maul and Boba Fett can come back, then so can Han Solo if the whole planet doesn't blow up.

Jarmel

Banned
Not necessarily. Their melee weapons could be made of phrik, or maybe they had mandalorian iron armour. It depends on disney's canon, of course, but lightsaber-resistant materials were important in countless events of the previous canon.
The wiki does have phrik in its canon page, although with a very limited description for Palpatine's lightsaber.

As part of the story, I think it'd be nice to have something that's lightsaber-resitant and/or some people who are able to not only hold their own, but defeat multiple Jedi without using the Force or lightsabers. It'd make them a much bigger threat and the audience -specially after Han's death- would definitely be convinced that the heroes are in great danger against mighty foes.

It's not just the lightsabers. Almost all of the people in that academy are Force users even without the lightsabers and seven guys come in and slaughter the entire place. If a regular fighter (in the sense of no Force abilities) is that effective against a Force user then that makes a lot of stuff about Jedi seem silly.

Sorcerer

Falling down a chasm also allows the possibility of a comeback, if you're a famous enough character. If Darth Maul and Boba Fett can come back, then so can Han Solo if the whole planet doesn't blow up.

I would say it opens up the possibility of Solo coming back.

But something tells me Ford agreed to do this if it was written into the script that Solo dies so his obligation would be over. That and a fat paycheck.

He was on a panel with the other cast members recently and he really did not convey that he had that much enthusiasm for his return as Solo.

Also that funny story about Boyega wanting him to autograph something Solo related and Ford seemed reluctant to do it for him.

Ogimachi

It's not just the lightsabers. Almost all of the people in that academy are Force users even without the lightsabers and seven guys come in and slaughter the entire place. If a regular fighter (in the sense of no Force abilities) is that effective against a Force user then that makes a lot of stuff about Jedi seem silly.
We don't know how many were there. Luke had to build the academy from the ground up, and training takes a considerable time. Maybe they were mostly padawans, and maybe the Knights of Ren had other troops with them.

Keep in mind that a "regular fighter" as you described being effective against Force users has been a thing in canon for a while. Grievous wasn't Force-sensitive, for instance.

Jarmel

Banned
We don't know how many were there. Luke had to build the academy from the ground up, and training takes a considerable time. Maybe they were mostly padawans, and maybe the Knights of Ren had other troops with them.

Keep in mind that a "regular fighter" as you described being effective against Force users has been a thing in canon for a while. Grievous wasn't Force-sensitive, for instance.

Well the call sheets do specify that it was a fierce battle so it's not like a bunch of kids are getting massacred. Also individuals like Rose existed so there were some 'older' learners there.

Grevious was a cyborg and it seems like he overwhelmed Jedi through speed and numbers.

Also that funny story about Boyega wanting him to autograph something Solo related and Ford seemed reluctant to do it for him.

lol dude just seems to hate the franchise at times

Ogimachi

But something tells me Ford agreed to do this if it was written into the script that Solo dies so his obligation would be over. That and a fat paycheck.

He was on a panel with the other cast members recently and he really did not convey that he had that much enthusiasm for his return as Solo.

It has been speculated that he signed because Han Solo dies and also because it'd allow him to play Indy again.
Makes sense to me. Han was supposed to die in ROTJ and he never really seemed to like the character or the franchise. If he refused to be in TFA, Disney would feel slighted and give Indiana Jones a reboot with a new star.

This way everybody wins.

Well the call sheets do specify that it was a fierce battle so it's not like a bunch of kids are getting massacred. Also individuals like Rose existed so there were some 'older' learners there.

Grevious was a cyborg and it seems like he overwhelmed Jedi through speed and numbers.
Yes, I'm just saying I don't find it silly, and the Knights of Ren did seem to have something different about their weapons.
Having cool looks goes a long way in Star Wars, but you need actual accomplishments to create powerful villains. This would be alright in my book, as long as the Jedi aren't just sleeping and then shot to death.

Yeah. His attitude toward the whole Star Wars franchise just rubs me the wrong way. I also sometimes forget that he's 73. Mark and Carrie are 64 and 59.

MattyG

Banned

If this is true, I won't believe it until I see a body.

I mean Luke should be so OP at this point he should steamroll that group of seven.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm not sure where the "Han falls over a railing" thing comes from. Last I had read, his body is incinerated in the explosion of the Starkiller Base.

I mean Luke should be so OP at this point he should steamroll that group of seven.

They attack while Luke isn't there. The shot of him in the trailers where he has his hood up and touches R2 in front of a fire is after he returns and finds the wreckage.

I thought I read that Harrison Ford has warmed up to the franchise now. Maybe not. Eh.
I remember that. Didn't he just say something like "This is weird" but still signed it anyway? I assumed him saying that meant it's weird to sign something for his costar.

Sorcerer

I thought I read that Harrison Ford has warmed up to the franchise now. Maybe not. Eh.

I remember that. Didn't he just say something like "This is weird" but still signed it anyway? I assumed him saying that meant it's weird to sign something for his costar.

There is also that story Blake Lively told about being excited to be working with Ford and talking to him about the part in Raiders where he just shoots the guy with the swords. Ford had no idea what she was talking about. She felt stupid.

In my dream world, the frantic final battle of Episode IX will have a scene where a star destroyer is about to crash into the rebel base, and Leia uses her force for the first time on screen to push it back into orbit.

A boy can dream!

Sorcerer

In my dream world, the frantic final battle of Episode IX will have a scene where a star destroyer is about to crash into the rebel base, and Leia uses her force for the first time on screen to push it back into orbit.

A boy can dream!

I would like to scene one scene where Leia does something kick-ass with the Force. In the EU the excuse was she was too busy being a politician to train.

I think she trains but just has to give it up.

sphagnum

Banned

A boy can dream!

Haha, I've been thinking of something similar to that but with Luke in Episode VIII. Unless Leia did some serious training in the past 30 years - and TFA gives no indication that she did, since the only time she uses the Force in the movie is when she senses things like Han's death - it feels more "correct" for it to be Luke who does something outlandish like stop a Star Destroyer.

That's so lame.

Well, supposing Kylo really is Han and Leia's son and he's in his late teens in that shot of the Knights of Ren in the rain, he's the one who would have betrayed the Jedi to the Knights. Why would he want to attack while Luke was there? He may be arrogant but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to think that at that time he'd be able to kill the most powerful man in the galaxy.

Ford's attitude toward Star Wars is honestly probably just one of realism. He's not his characters and he has a life to live outside the movies. At least he isn't bullshitting everyone by schmoozing over the series constantly when he doesn't want to. Mark and Carrie also genuinely seem to love the attention the series brings them. I think they're genuine as well. Ford is just a private person. He's had other successes besides Han. Watch the Craig Ferguson interview with him where Craig gets him to open up about airplanes if you want to see Ford light up about a subject.

sphagnum

Banned
My friend met Harrison as a child once at an airport after he landed there. From what he told me he definitely seems like a nice but private guy. He wasn't a jerk to the family for saying hello to him or anything, but he just wanted to eat something and get on with his flight schedule.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
A Jedi jumped onto balcony where Dooku was then shot until fell over it by Jango at end of Clones

Yep. And Yoda falls in the senate chamber in RotS. Though obviously not to his death like the other examples.

If that is Finn that Rey is crying over and if that is the moment she picks up the lightsaber and fights Ren, that will be pretty powerful stuff.

Oh there is no doubt that Luke is going to do some shit in the next movie.

I'm starting to think Rey is going to have some PTSD stuff going on. Probably a lot of repressed memories.

My friend met Harrison as a child once at an airport after he landed there. From what he told me he definitely seems like a nice but private guy. He wasn't a jerk to the family for saying hello to him or anything, but he just wanted to eat something and get on with his flight schedule.
I can really appreciate him having that kind of attitude. Not every actor needs to be eyeballs deep with their investment into characters they portray. You do you Ford.

Moff

so kylo ren does not seem to know that it was vader who killed the emperor? or he heard rumours and doesn't believe it?
I don't know if that is actually already covered in known spoilers, but I could imagine that this will be an important point in the power dynamic between kylo and luke in the future movies.

so kylo ren does not seem to know that it was vader who killed the emperor? or he heard rumours and doesn't believe it?
I don't know if that is actually already covered in known spoilers, but I could imagine that this will be an important point in the power dynamic between kylo and luke in the future movies.

Kylo sticks his fingers in to his ears. "Not listening to you Uncle Luke!"

Sorcerer

Kylo sticks his fingers in to his ears. "Not listening to you Uncle Luke!"

I am betting Kylo is the victim of some brainwashing by whoever raised him.

Also crazy theory out of left field:

Is Phasma Force Senstive? She carries a Light Saber correct?

It can't be that she is Rey's mom? I don't know the age difference between characters.

I am betting Kylo is the victim of some brainwashing by whoever raised him.

Also crazy theory out of left field:

Is Phasma Force Senstive? She carries a Light Saber correct?

It can't be that she is Rey's mom? I don't know the age difference between characters.

I'm pretty sure Phasma isn't Force sensitive. Just uses a lightsaber to kick ass. Also highly doubt she's Rey's mom, since there's only 13 years apart between the actresses.

Sorcerer

I'm pretty sure Phasma isn't Force sensitive. Just uses a lightsaber to kick ass. Also highly doubt she's Rey's mom, since there's only 13 years apart between the actresses.

Gotcha!!!

When I heard Rey was Luke's daughter, I was hoping there would be a call back to Mara Jade. But apparently she is adopted by Luke.

Top Bottom