• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of wish Valve would let us reset the gameplay timer. Mainly because their recommendation system takes play time into account and one way to get better recommendations would be to reset the timer for the kinds of games you don't play and don't want to be shown.

KainXVIII

I wonder if i should pull the trigger and start playing RDR1 on PS3
still waiting for pc port
, i hope its not that boring as GTAIV

me0wish

Oh hey, a guy in my classes plays games on PC.
He immediately starts conversations so he can whinge about stuff, like how Sonic Mania has DRM even if he doesn't care about it affecting him, or how Cuphead shouldn't be advertising itself as being hard if it isn't on the level of NES Ninja Gaiden or something like that.

Meh, I won't be seeing anyone in this class ever again.

Do you attend the same school as Neogaf?

the_thomas_bootleg__creepypasta__by_zerothree03-d99gps0.png

I̛̖̹̱͔̺̠̥ͫ̃͐̄̎̏̀̆ͥ̓̂̀̅ͥ͑͋̉͆͂́͝͡ ̶̶̢̛̺̻̣̗̹̯͉̠͚̗̾ͭ̓̑ͯͤͪ̄̅̀̾ͧ̓Aͣ͒ͬͩ̌͐̀̏́̆̌͐͆̕͏͏̧̳͍̙̺̀M̴̓̈́ͦ̓̅͏̛̠̥̠̟̗͕̗̙ ͪ̓ͤͥ̋̍ͩ͑̍ͤ̐̀͏̵͎͈͔̣̰̦̘̗̭͇͔̦̞͔̣̯̠̜̻C̶͔̘̮͙͚̠̦ͦ̂́̎ͭ̿ͩͬͭ̂̈̄͒ͬ̽̀̕O̧̩̻͖̗̩͇̣͍͙̗͍̫̼ͨ̓̎̌̒̓̍͝͞͠M̶̶̛̮̗̳͎͙͓̰͈̤̜͎̠̜̘̟̣̖͕ͦ͌͊ͧ̂̀̓́͊͑́͗ͣI̧̠̤̙̙͖̯͍̝͚̖̣ͥ̉͂̍̓͞N̸̖̯͚̻ͮͧ̑͑ͭ̌ͬ̃ͨͦ̀͗̔̋ͯ͢G͙͔͚̜̲͎͎̘̍̎̉̒͋̅̾ͣ̄͢͞ͅ!̝̣̖̭̘̬̭̯̤̯͚͉̤͉̻ͭͥͦ̓ͣ̿ͨ͋̏ͮ͑̓ͨ̋́͟͝͡

gelf

Oh hey, a guy in my classes plays games on PC.
He immediately starts conversations so he can whinge about stuff, like how Sonic Mania has DRM even if he doesn't care about it affecting him, or how Cuphead shouldn't be advertising itself as being hard if it isn't on the level of NES Ninja Gaiden or something like that.

Meh, I won't be seeing anyone in this class ever again.
Is Cuphead really being advertised as hard? I feel that's come largely from the press coverage then anything else. I've certainly not seen it being marketed as if it's something brutally punishing to make that Ninja Garden complaint valid. He might have a point if he was referring to Namco's approach to advertising Dark Souls with "Prepare to Die" etc but not Cuphead.

yuraya

RDR2 looked very underwhelming visually. I don't know why I expected for it to look amazing. At the end of the day R* focuses on consoles only and its still 2013 tech they are working with.

Then again this generation has had so many open world games unlike last. The stuff is just not mind blowing or all that impressive anymore.

Dinjoralo

Is Cuphead really being advertised as hard? I feel that's come largely from the press coverage then anything else. I've certainly not seen it being marketed as if it's something brutally punishing to make that Ninja Garden complaint valid. He might have a point if he was referring to Namco's approach to advertising Dark Souls with "Prepare to Die" etc but not Cuphead.

I don't know myself. TBH I don't think he keeps up on the news he whinges about, he didn't realize Sonic Mania had offline play patched in.

Aaron D.

RDR2 looked very underwhelming visually. I don't know why I expected for it to look amazing. At the end of the day R* focuses on consoles only and its still 2013 tech they are working with.

Then again this generation has had so many open world games unlike last. The stuff is just not mind blowing or all that impressive anymore.

I tend to judge R* sandbox games iteratively, comparing the latest upcoming title with the most recent entry.

In that context, I've found the leap from III/VC/SA > IV > RDR > V to be genuinely mind-blowing, esp. considering the scale & scope of these productions.

Today's RDR2 trailer continues that legacy.

Hot damn that game looks awesome.

Javier23

Banned

We got as many open world games last gen as we're getting now if not more. They are all still the same. I can only really think of open world games like TW3 or MGSV pushing the genre forward. Oh wait, MGSV didn't litter its map with Ubi-esque collectible trash. Nevermind then, worst open world game ever.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of fuzzylogic, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battlerite Lite -- MB-383DE307D9F7215D - Taken by longlivegaming. 5 entrants total.
Battlerite Lite #2 -- MB-AC958F9D0AB0496C - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 5 entrants total.
Battlerite Lite #3 -- MB-7A4506FC1BCD54BF - Taken by Dominican Power. 5 entrants total.
Battlerite Lite #4 -- MB-5D232DA417B8013D - Taken by Abomination. 4 entrants total.
Gigantic Starter Pack -- MB-AAA56279AC9E257B - Taken by TetraxShards. 10 entrants total.

t1506659183z1.png

KainXVIII

Agreed, but its Rockstar game, so everyone give them a pass.

Tizoc

I wont be starting cuphead until after figment
If it is shorter than hob ill start cuphead then dive into hob afterward
Then battlechasers followed by wardor

Damn, that is quite the schedule. By the time I finish Shadow Complex Remastered, a new game will be out and by the time I am halfway done that new game, a new new game will come out.

Tizoc

Damn, that is quite the schedule. By the time I finish Shadow Complex Remastered, a new game will be out and by the time I am halfway done that new game, a new new game will come out.
Oh i also have ys 8 preordered so if that releases soon it takes main priority

Battlechili

Banned
Why doesn't Limited Run Games do PC releases generally speaking (from what I can tell, out of their somewhat large catalogue, they've only done three PC releases total)? Currently there is no existing company out there trying to or pushing for physical releases on PC. Only the biggest of the biggest of games get physical releases on PC these days, and its maddening. Even NISA, who does Limited Editions of PC versions of games, does not actually include a physical copy of the games themselves in their LEs. Surely I can't be the only one out there who misses having physical copies of games on their shelves.

Monooboe

How are you liking Figment? Bought it on release but haven't started it yet, but seems promising.

Why doesn't Limited Run Games do PC releases generally speaking (from what I can tell, out of their somewhat large catalogue, they've only done three PC releases total)? Currently there is no existing company out there trying to or pushing for physical releases on PC. Only the biggest of the biggest of games get physical releases on PC these days, and its maddening. Even NISA, who does Limited Editions of PC versions of games, does not actually include a physical copy of the games themselves in their LEs. Surely I can't be the only one out there who misses having physical copies of games on their shelves.

Indiebox?

How are you liking Figment? Bought it on release but haven't started it yet, but seems promising.

Blatent self-quote.

Played a bit of Figment earlier, it's very reminiscent of Back to Bed from the same author but this is more of a ARPG puzzler than a straight puzzler. The ARPG elements are very light so far, dodge and wack with a sword is it. Presentation is fantastic, great music, performs beautifully but the only two criticisms I have are the voice acting performance is inconsistent and in one particular case poorly recorded and the main characters animation is a little jerky like they skipped frames. There is also an annoying buzzing sound in the menus like the power adapter on your speakers is on it's way out.

Battlechili

Banned
Indiebox?
Oh right
I forgot about them. They're pretty cool, though they specialize in indie games, so that's not quite what I'm looking for either.

I just wish there was some company pushing really hard for there to be physical releases of stuff like the Danganronpa games, Zero Escape games, Blue Reflection, the Atelier games, the Neptunia games, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, etc. all physically on the platform. I'd try to push for such to happen and show that there's an audience for it but I wouldn't know where to start.

Oh right
I forgot about them. They're pretty cool, though they specialize in indie games, so that's not quite what I'm looking for either.

I just wish there was some company pushing really hard for there to be physical releases of stuff like the Danganronpa games, Zero Escape games, Blue Reflection, the Atelier games, the Neptunia games, Disgaea, Final Fantasy, etc. all physically on the platform. I'd try to push for such to happen and show that there's an audience for it but I wouldn't know where to start.

An anime specific PC game box making service? I'm not sure there's anything like that currently available.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh right

A lot of the publishers you've mentioned only do PC ports because of the low cost of entry and the lack of having to worry about things like physical production / warehousing / shelf space where they have little to no clout.

Additionally, I don't think people would be too happy with physical PC releases unless the games were included on a disc and were DRM free. This doesn't sound like something these publishers would be interested in anyway - meaning the best we can hope for is a physical case with a Steam Key included (something that's becoming increasingly common in the physical PC market / retail space anyway). This is honestly a pretty lame solution where you can't help but feeling like you wasted money on just buying a game case.

Sure it'd be great if there were a company like LRG that were able to step in and broker these sorts of deals on the company's behalf, but the attitude towards DRM on PC would need to shift significantly before anything like this becomes a viable consumer product for anything other than indie games.

Tizoc

It is ok
You can tell it was made on a budget of sorts but there some nice visuals and the music is good
One thing to keep in mind is that the settings and charavters are all explained once u see the game'sintro cutscene

Gameplay wise involves mainly dodge rolling and attacking with ur sword
Enemies have tells so u know when to attack or roll

Therr are some light puzzles too

Battlechili

Banned
Additionally, I don't think people would be too happy with physical PC releases unless the games were included on a disc and were DRM free. This doesn't sound like something these publishers would be interested in anyway - meaning the best we can hope for is a physical case with a Steam Key included (something that's becoming increasingly common in the physical PC market / retail space anyway). This is honestly a pretty lame solution where you can't help but feeling like you wasted money on just buying a game case.

Sure it'd be great if there were a company like LRG that were able to step in and broker these sorts of deals on the company's behalf, but the attitude towards DRM on PC would need to shift significantly before anything like this becomes a viable consumer product for anything other than indie games.
Why not do things like traditional PC releases in the olden days? If I remember correctly, many games weren't quite DRM free, but didn't require Steam either. You just installed the disc and then had to insert the disc whenever you wanted to play. Its not like you could just play the games by running the exe by themselves in most cases, nor could you just copy all the files installed to another computer to play said games as a result. So they weren't quite DRM free. They just didn't have an attachment to Steam. Which is what most consoles are like nowadays anyways. If I understand how that worked correctly.
An anime specific PC game box making service? I'm not sure there's anything like that currently available.
Well, not necessarily anime. I just couldn't help but mention the games I'd particularly want. I know LRG does some anime games, but they always wind up being console/handheld only. Even Ys Origin wound up this way for them and that was PC original in Japan AND is available DRM free.

Ascheroth

Why not do things like traditional PC releases in the olden days? If I remember correctly, many games weren't quite DRM free, but didn't require Steam either. You just installed the disc and then had to insert the disc whenever you wanted to play. Its not like you could just play the games by running the exe by themselves in most cases, nor could you just copy all the files installed to another computer to play said games as a result. So they weren't quite DRM free. They just didn't have an attachment to Steam. Which is what most consoles are like nowadays anyways. If I understand how that worked correctly.Well, not necessarily anime. I just couldn't help but mention the games I'd particularly want. I know LRG does some anime games, but they always wind up being console/handheld only. Even Ys Origin wound up this way for them and that was PC original in Japan AND is available DRM free.
I'm glad that time is over.

Monooboe

Ah sounds like I should reign in my expectations a bit, but good that it still sounds worthwhile. The art style really sold me on it, that with the concept with the music, so I don't mind if it is a bit lacking in other areas.

Blatent self-quote.

It is ok
You can tell it was made on a budget of sorts but there some nice visuals and the music is good
One thing to keep in mind is that the settings and charavters are all explained once u see the game'sintro cutscene

Gameplay wise involves mainly dodge rolling and attacking with ur sword
Enemies have tells so u know when to attack or roll

Therr are some light puzzles too

Tizoc

It is thursday people
Check yourselves before you wreck yourselves next week

which is to say dont forget to unsub

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Why not do things like traditional PC releases in the olden days? If I remember correctly, many games weren't quite DRM free, but didn't require Steam either. You just installed the disc and then had to insert the disc whenever you wanted to play. Its not like you could just play the games by running the exe by themselves in most cases, nor could you just copy all the files installed to another computer to play said games as a result. So they weren't quite DRM free. They just didn't have an attachment to Steam. Which is what most consoles are like nowadays anyways. If I understand how that worked correctly.Well, not necessarily anime. I just couldn't help but mention the games I'd particularly want. I know LRG does some anime games, but they always wind up being console/handheld only. Even Ys Origin wound up this way for them and that was PC original in Japan AND is available DRM free.

It's a shame that "has an optical disk drive installed" is not part of the Steam hardware survey. I would suspect that at least half of users don't have one. I have 4 primary computers I work from, and none of them have an optical drive. Usually if I HAVE to use a CD / DVD, I've got to put it into my son's 2008 Macbook. So if we're sticking to disks, you're cutting out a huge number of people right off the bat.

I suppose something like this could work if it were distributed via USB thumb drives, but again for this to work the way you're thinking they would need to work similarly to hardware dongles (which are still pretty common in the industrial sector). Essentially having the USB drive in your PC "unlocks" the content. It'd still be a pretty messy solution.

Although it's a lot of work, you could burn Steam backups to disk and make your own cases to put them in. You could print out artwork yourself or do it at Kinkos. I think we even had a thread for this sort of thing a while back.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yay, more people can pirate games and pretend they dont like denuvo for the good of consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom