• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together |OT|: Fat Bottomed Girls

robotzombie said:
Awesome to hear. But do any of them have completely unique classes? How about unique sprites? Or do they fall under normal classes?

Yes. Diego, for example, is a pirate and comes with a class called Buccaneer.

All unique units have their own sprites.

There are also semi-uniques who have the same sprites as generics but their own fixed names, personalities, and unique art as well as greater stats than a generic of their type would normally have.

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes. Diego, for example, is a pirate and comes with a class called Buccaneer.

All unique units have their own sprites.

There are also semi-uniques who have the same sprites as generics but their own fixed names, personalities, and unique art as well as greater stats than a generic of their type would normally have.

I love both you and everything I hear about this game

robotzombie said:
I love both you and everything I hear about this game

Well, to tell the truth, many of sprites for unique characters are just palette swapped or otherwise slightly modified generics. Arycelle, for example, has the sprite of a red-headed archer, but no matter what class she takes on, she'll always have the sprite of a red-headed archer. Don't get me wrong, there are several unique characters who do have unique sprites though.

Shouta

Yaweee said:
I'm a bit concerned they may have made the game too easy, but the difficulty of the original is overstated. Difficulty should not be confused with the tedious intersection of perm death, dying in one hit from snipers, and the horrible, horrible, horrible Training mechanics of the original. Yes, it was very difficulty at the beginning, but eventually ranged units, Revivify, and broken weight/turn mechanics made the end-game pretty easy.

I'm assuming that, like FFT, even if the game may be able to made too easy once you know what works, there's so much complication that the game will still be highly re-playable. I know I'm going for a Denam+Monster party on my first time through.

The game isn't too easy but it certainly isn't as hard as the original TO. As I mentioned in the other thread, much of the original TO's difficulty was because of the broken mechanics such as stats. You mess up early with your progression and you'd be screwed for the rest of the game. The only way to make the game easier was to abuse the mechanics which removes a lot of the fun and strategy in the game. The PSP version rectifies a lot of the problems and even adds more stuff to make battles more interesting and varied. Of course, if you find it too hard still, you got a bunch of systems in place to help ease it some.

Also, I'm pretty sure the first time you go through the game, the story battles have preset levels but when you start using the World system, everything becomes scaled to your level.

LiK

Shouta said:
The game isn't too easy but it certainly isn't as hard as the original TO. As I mentioned in the other thread, much of the original TO's difficulty was because of the broken mechanics such as stats. You mess up early with your progression and you'd be screwed for the rest of the game. The only way to make the game easier was to abuse the mechanics which removes a lot of the fun and strategy in the game. The PSP version rectifies a lot of the problems and even adds more stuff to make battles more interesting and varied. Of course, if you find it too hard still, you got a bunch of systems in place to help ease it some.

Also, I'm pretty sure the first time you go through the game, the story battles have preset levels but when you start using the World system, everything becomes scaled to your level.

o gawd, original TO was so hard....i hated losing a story character....

Here's a question: Can you lose unique characters permanently? Like, let's say I recruit one of the four sisters and let her permadie. Is she gone for good, or can I get her again by replaying the part where she joins using the WORLD?

Shouta

I'm not sure if that's possible, I haven't used the World system yet myself. I got to the end and got sidetracked by the time I wanted to go back it was pretty close to release so I figured I'd wait and replay it again.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
First game I've preordered in many years...have to borrow a friend's PSP to play it. Will be well worth it.

Minsc

Shouta said:
I'm not sure if that's possible, I haven't used the World system yet myself. I got to the end and got sidetracked by the time I wanted to go back it was pretty close to release so I figured I'd wait and replay it again.

I was thinking the World Tarot system was only available after you finish the game anyway, so it'd be very inconvenient to play the remaining 30 hours or so to get to the point where you could go back in time and change the game's outcome? Or do you have access to it from the start?

Edit: NM, it's not really a question, since the info in the OP confirms that you do have to finish the game to use the world system.

B.K.

What's a good place to import the European version? I've been waiting for NCSX to take orders for it, but it doesn't look like they're going to carry it.

Alts

Thanks for the reminder. Amazon preorder bought. This will be my first time with the game, hope the hype was not misplaced.

Minsc

B.K. said:
What's a good place to import the European version? I've been waiting for NCSX to take orders for it, but it doesn't look like they're going to carry it.

game.co.uk, hmv.co.uk, game.co.uk, hmv.co.uk, Coolshop, HMV, Play & Zavvi were all listed in this thread, as you're aware I'm sure.

I'm expecting my Euro copy to arrive sometime in April or something lol, but that's why I had to break down and get a US copy for next tuesday.

Alts said:
Thanks for the reminder. Amazon preorder bought. This will be my first time with the game, hope the hype was not misplaced.

PSP GOTY 2011. No contest!

STG!

Freyjadour said:
TO and DQ on the same day makes me both excited and sad. I must make a decision.

That's the worst part with both these games hitting the same day. AND there's also Ys I & II... what a month. Good thing I'm taking two weeks off after these games hit, as I'm thinking first playing DQVI, then TO, then Ys.

TO looks amazing, wondering if I should spring for that EU Premium Edition.

Minsc

Shouta said:

I get the feeling a good portion of toughest difficulty comes in the DLC, which I take it you haven't had a chance to try it out yet though, so you probably can't comment. I'd imagine if one really wanted a challenge though, the place to look will be the 33+ additional levels of the dungeon/area in that DLC.

Niblet

What is this I hear about big booty b------?
My buddy is ready.

I have never played tactics ogre. it seems to get love here so I'll check it out when its on sale. Is this Ivalice?

STG! said:
That's the worst part with both these games hitting the same day. AND there's also Ys I & II... what a month. Good thing I'm taking two weeks off after these games hit, as I'm thinking first playing DQVI, then TO, then Ys.

TO looks amazing, wondering if I should spring for that EU Premium Edition.

Don't worry, March will be easier. Alls it has is Pokemon, Okamiden, Dissidia 012 and The 3rd Birthday.

RedSwirl

Sorry, but shit has just gotten too tight. I made a promise not to buy new games I couldn't dive into right away.

I bought a psp almost solely to play TO:LUCT (and discovered a wonderful library of games to boot). So yeah, I am getting hyped with the release date so close.

Grimmy

Banned
Sigh, with me being away from N.A and having next to no time to play something so intensive as TO, I will have to wait until the summer before I can pick this up....

JKTrix

Is it just a coincidence that they sang the subtitled song on Glee today...?

Can't wait for this game. Though I have to, with Amazon's 2-day delivery.

Shouta

jvalioli said:
I'm terrible at SRPGs and I bought this cause of Yoshida :(

You'll be fine. The game has enough fail-safes for folks that consider themselves bad at them. If you start getting good and adventurous, you can stop using the most powerful one of them, the CHARIOT system.

kadotsu

Banned
Man, in only seven days I will have the game at my doorstep. The wait is unbearable watching the time go by is almost chinese torture. When I remember how fun it was to play Wheel of Fate and Ogre battle it seems that Square really dropped the ball and lost opportunity to fully realize Matsuno's vision. The game was such a breakthru at its time and games are still stealin design ideas from it. Getting the premium edition for the soundtrack (remixed battle theme is sick) and the book. I love everything about this game, the party managment, a story that doesn't take forever to get going a battle system that challenges you and I can't stress enough that I just go crazy for Yoshida's art and Sakimoto's music, its a match Made in Heaven.

Oh man, this really makes me wish Matsuno was in charge of War of the Lions. It didn't come out terrible or anything, but it could've been so much more!

In any case, I can't wait to pick this up.

jvalioli

Shouta said:
You'll be fine. The game has enough fail-safes for folks that consider themselves bad at them. If you start getting good and adventurous, you can stop using the most powerful one of them, the CHARIOT system.
Okay cool. I'm going to be dropping into this thread pretty often for advice when I get stuck in every other battle.

Sipowicz

Banned
i'm going to wait and see on this one

the story sounds like my cup of tea but i'm worried about the game being really hard to get in to. does anyone know how beginner friendly it is?

7Th

What's up with that horrible font? And why is everyone screaming all the time in this game? :/

14dvJ.png

Wow that background made me take not one nor two, but three glances. It looks so photo-realistic. Simply stunning. I hope there are more of these gorgeous locales in the game.

Joule

Sipowicz said:

the story sounds like my cup of tea but i'm worried about the game being really hard to get in to. does anyone know how beginner friendly it is?

It should be a lot more beginner friendly with the changes they've made in this remake. The Chariot system can rewind turns if you made a mistake. Units needs to lose 3 lives before biting the dust for real. With just these two changes I think it makes things very manageable for beginners.

Just counting the days till this drops. Ready to
aJ0yd.gif

Shouta

Sipowicz said:

It's fairly easy to get into and as I point out they softened the impact of the game with some systems. It's still a harder experience than say, FFT, but it's not nearly as punishing as the original TO.

Top Bottom